Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Pump - dual switching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leckers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Fuel Pump - dual switching Reply with quote

I have the original panel mounted switch for the fuel pump on my Glasair - simple 'on/off'. On the copilot side I have the stock stick and only a single PTT on the grip. On the pilot side, I have JD's Infinity grip with one of the switches (at present it is a simple on/off) ear-marked to also operate the fuel pump. I need to retain the panel switch capability so the copilot can operate the pump if (s)he is flying.
My thoughts were along the lines of a switching system like the staircase example of a switch at top and bottom being able to turn on or off the light from either position. I would be quite happy to have a warning lamp to indicate the pump is actually on/running. I need a different type of S700 switch (Which?) on the panel, and also need to find a smaller equivalent type to fit in JD's grip - both of which accomplish the necessary internal switching. (I definitely need assistance with a simple wiring diagram too!). I don't see the necessity for a relay set-up as I've used for the flaps with a similar scenario - normal panel switch and JD's toggle switch on pilot's stick grip. I've been through the chapter in Bob's book on switches a couple of times, but I can't find an applicable example to help me on this - though it is, I have to say, that I may be me missing the obvious - "can't see the wood for the trees" etc. etc.
This particular switching scenario must have been resolved many times before, and I'd be most grateful if a member could point me in the right direction?

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

bgray(at)glasair.org

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Fuel Pump - dual switching Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

Check a house wiring book.

Bruce
www.Glasair.org

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mrspudandcompany(at)veriz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Fuel Pump - dual switching Reply with quote

I have the original panel mounted switch for the fuel pump on my Glasair -
simple 'on/off'. On the copilot side I have the stock stick and only a
single PTT on the grip. On the pilot side, I have JD's Infinity grip with
one of the switches (at present it is a simple on/off) ear-marked to also
operate the fuel pump. I need to retain the panel switch capability so the
copilot can operate the pump if (s)he is flying.
IanL
Here is a simple circuit that requires using 2 single pole
double throw (on - on) switches. Hope this helps a bit.

Roger

winmail.dat
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  winmail.dat
 Filesize:  253.93 KB
 Downloaded:  404 Time(s)

bbradburry(at)bellsouth.n

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Fuel Pump - dual switching Reply with quote

IanL,
I doubt you will find a switch small enough to fit in JDs grip that will
carry the amps necessary for the fuel pump. If you already know how to do
this with a relay, I suggest you go ahead with that method. Or you can
stick a relay in the schematic that was provided by one of the readers.

Bill B

--

fvalarm(at)rapidnet.net

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Fuel Pump - dual switching Reply with quote

While the schematic in the drawing will work, I wouldn't use that architecture because it will be confusing. Sometimes switch toggle up will be on and sometimes switch down will be on, depending on the position of the other switch. That drawing is OK for light switches at home or for pushbutton latching switches.
I would just wire both switches in parallel so that either one can turn the pump on, but both must be off to turn pump off. I think this would be best and satisfy 99% of your flying needs without confusion.
My $.02 worth.
Bevan

Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2010 6:47 AM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Fuel Pump - dual switching

I have the original panel mounted switch for the fuel pump on my Glasair - simple 'on/off'. On the copilot side I have the stock stick and only a single PTT on the grip. On the pilot side, I have JD's Infinity grip with one of the switches (at present it is a simple on/off) ear-marked to also operate the fuel pump. I need to retain the panel switch capability so the copilot can operate the pump if (s)he is flying.
IanL

Here is a simple circuit that requires using 2 single pole double throw (on - on) switches. Hope this helps a bit.
      Roger

<< File: Dual switch fuel pump.pdf >> [quote][b]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pump - dual switching Reply with quote

While the schematic in the drawing will work, I wouldn't use
that architecture because it will be confusing. Sometimes switch toggle up
will be on and sometimes switch down will be on, depending on the position
of the other switch.
When the light is on the pump is on, flip
either switch and it is off. I personally would not find this confusing.
If up, down is confusing, mount the switch for left, right.
I would just wire both switches in parallel so that either
one can turn the pump on, but both must be off to turn pump off. I think
this would be best and satisfy 99% of your flying needs without confusion.
If both switches are on they must both be
turned off to shut down the pump.
If you are going this route, might I suggest
that you put a switch on the panel within ease reach of either pilot, fewer
parts, fewer single points of failure.
There are other ways of accomplishing this,
but this is simple and will work.
Roger

winmail.dat
 Description:

Download
 Filesize:  4.86 KB
 Downloaded:  508 Time(s)

leckers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump - dual switching Reply with quote

Really sorry, but I cannot open either of the .dat files to see the diagram..... Clues? I use Windows 7. Thanks for the suggestions.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Fuel Pump - dual switching Reply with quote

Really sorry, but I cannot open either of the .dat files to see the
diagram..... Clues? I use Windows 7. Thanks for the suggestions.

--------
IanL

Go to (get.adobe.com) and download the reader. This will
allow you to open the [Dual switch fuel pump.pdf] file attached.

Roger

winmail.dat
 Description:

Download
 Filesize:  250.45 KB
 Downloaded:  500 Time(s)

leckers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump - dual switching Reply with quote

Roger - adobe reader will NOT open the file that is in this forum as winmail.dat.
There is no attachment file that I can see in pdf format.
Any chance you could try direct to me ianleckenby(at)yahoo.co.uk? Thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: