Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electronic Mind Needed / It's Back!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff(at)rmmm.net

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Electronic Mind Needed / It's Back! Reply with quote

We'll my problem I thought I fixed is still there. After repairing the connector and getting what I thought was good charging voltage to the battery and flying for a few hours I just took the cowl off only to double check my battery. Placed it on the charger and it's down to 35%. I started the plane and checked the voltage output from the regulator and it's putting out 12.5. I'm starting to wonder if either the regulator is working intermittently or if it could my 2 year old odyssey battery? Looks like Sun-N-Fun will have to wait. I have bypassed my panel with a voltage check by going to the 30 amp fuse with a wire back to the battery and the voltage during running is the same 12.5. If anyone has other Ideas or possibilities let me know but I'm about to order a new battery. I guess if thats not it I'll have a spare.
Jeff R. N128LJ Gold Rush

On Apr 8, 2010, at 9:57 AM, Bud Yerly wrote:
[quote]Jeff,
Let me pile on... Jim Brown and I have just gone through this.
Frans is right on. The GG connections are AC.
First confirm the voltage regulator is charging the battery. At 3000 RPM your ammeter should be near zero for a fully charged battery, and voltage should be 13.5-13.8 volts. If it is not, it is the stator or regulator.
Regulator: Check the light circuit. Light on with engine off? It is supposed to be OK...Wrong, trust no light only.
Check B+ again, with the alternator C and B connected it should be battery voltage, C is often put on an alternator switch, so check that the switch provides battery voltage.
Check AC voltage from stator yellow leads. (see heavy mx manual 13.4.7).
The regulator is a solid state device and does fail. $190 from Rotax. I used to keep a spare, but too expensive now.

Stator:
Check the resistance values of the stator yellow leads per the heavy maintenance manual. You need a good Volt/Ohm meter for this.
If there is a short, then replacement of the stator is necessary. I have repaired them before, and a year later, I had to go in again and replace it. Yours is a fairly new engine, so you should not have a defective stator like I had. $1200 from Rotax.

Enjoy your troubleshooting,

Bud Yerly
Custom Flight Creations.

[quote]---

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
gregoryf.flyboy(at)comcas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Electronic Mind Needed / It's Back! Reply with quote

Jeff,

An output of 12.5V from the regulator will certainly keep the battery in a low state of charge(84% or below). This (sort of) falls in line with what you are seeing with the battery state of charge per the charger, if the engine rpm was not high enough to sustain the 12.5V from the (possibly failed) regulator at all times (though I might expect the battery voltage to track 12.5 a little better - 35% seems a little low). I assume that the 12.5V that you measured from the regulator was at a higher engine speed, and not idle.

At this point, since your concern is a bad battery, I would check the battery out of circuit (since it is easily done), by dis-connecting it from the airplane, and charging it with an external charger (I think you are doing that?). Charge it until the charger says that the battery has a full charge, then disconnect the battery completely from the charger. At this point, nothing is connected to the battery. Let the it sit for a day to allow its voltage to drop (and stabilize), then measure the voltage on the terminals to check that the state of charge is around 12.7V. If that is the case, then the battery is maintaining a full state of charge. If you have not had any starting problems with the aircraft (ie. plenty of juice to crank the starter, in this higher state of charge), then I would say the battery is good (rare cracked-post or related problems aside).

If the battery appears good, then all attention could now focus on the regulator. If I were a betting man I would hedge my bets there.

Sorry to hear about Sun and Fun. That would be the hard part of it all.

Hope this helps,

Greg

off to do some errands...

We'll my problem I thought I fixed is still there. After repairing the connector and getting what I thought was good charging voltage to the battery and flying for a few hours I just took the cowl off only to double check my battery. Placed it on the charger and it's down to 35%. I started the plane and checked the voltage output from the regulator and it's putting out 12.5. I'm starting to wonder if either the regulator is working intermittently or if it could my 2 year old odyssey battery? Looks like Sun-N-Fun will have to wait. I have bypassed my panel with a voltage check by going to the 30 amp fuse with a wire back to the battery and the voltage during running is the same 12.5. If anyone has other Ideas or possibilities let me know but I'm about to order a new battery. I guess if thats not it I'll have a spare.
Jeff R. N128LJ Gold Rush

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

frans(at)privatepilots.nl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Electronic Mind Needed / It's Back! Reply with quote

On 04/12/2010 09:18 PM, JEFF ROBERTS wrote:
Quote:
If
anyone has other Ideas or possibilities let me know but I'm about to
order a new battery. I guess if thats not it I'll have a spare.

It is not your battery.

A battery is a bad spare to have. Just from being a "spare" they will
age prematurely.

Frans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: