Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Designing a circuit question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis Glaeser

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Designing a circuit question Reply with quote

I have an in flight adjustable IVO prop. What I’d like to have is a light that indicates when I get to the flat pitch ‘stop’ – without adding rings and brushes.
For those who aren’t familiar with the IVO, the adjustment is made by a motor driving a jack-screw that moves a collar which torques a rod embedded in the blades. There are no electrical stops, just a rubber washer at each end of the run. When the collar hits the end, the motor stalls. The rubber washer provides a softer stall which is a bit easier on the gears driving the jack screw. A 10A CB is the ultimate ‘stop’. Not elegant, but it works.
On the ground, before starting the engine, it’s easy to verify the prop is in fine pitch by listening to the motor. The problem is before landing, when I’d like to have the prop in fine pitch, it has to be done by guess and feel, or just hold the switch until the CB pops – which is not a good thing to do on a regular basis.
So, what I’d like is a circuit that can sense an amperage spike – going over 9A would be perfect – and turn on a light (LED of course Smile The ramp up to 9A is steep – goes from 5-6A to 9A very quickly (if that helps).
I can build the circuit, I just don’t know how to design it.

Thanks in advance,

Dennis Glaeser

[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
ainut(at)hiwaay.net

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Designing a circuit question Reply with quote

There is a little IC with three pins that you could put in circuit with
the system. It tells you the amperage passing through it. IIRC it's
about $6. I can look up the part number on the ones I have here somewhere...

David M.
Dennis & Anne Glaeser wrote:
Quote:

I have an in flight adjustable IVO prop. What I’d like to have is a
light that indicates when I get to the flat pitch ‘stop’ – without
adding rings and brushes.

For those who aren’t familiar with the IVO, the adjustment is made by
a motor driving a jack-screw that moves a collar which torques a rod
embedded in the blades. There are no electrical stops, just a rubber
washer at each end of the run. When the collar hits the end, the motor
stalls. The rubber washer provides a softer stall which is a bit
easier on the gears driving the jack screw. A 10A CB is the ultimate
‘stop’. Not elegant, but it works.

On the ground, before starting the engine, it’s easy to verify the
prop is in fine pitch by listening to the motor. The problem is before
landing, when I’d like to have the prop in fine pitch, it has to be
done by guess and feel, or just hold the switch until the CB pops –
which is not a good thing to do on a regular basis.

So, what I’d like is a circuit that can sense an amperage spike –
going over 9A would be perfect – and turn on a light (LED of course
Smile The ramp up to 9A is steep – goes from 5-6A to 9A very quickly (if
that helps).

Thanks in advance,

Dennis Glaeser

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Designing a circuit question Reply with quote

Dennis,

I have the exact same IvoProp setup.  They make an option for this function, if I'm not mistaken.

I just went to their website, and checked out what they had.  They call it a prop speed govenor.  Cost is $320.

Yeah, I'd love to build one of these, too!!  If anyone can come up with a design, I could build it!!
  Maybe there could be a line of LEDs that reflect the currect load in each direction of travel.  

Mike Welch

To: AeroElectric-List(at)matronics.com
Subject: Designing a circuit question
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 19:01:38 -0400
.ExternalClass p.ecxMsoNormal, .ExternalClass li.ecxMsoNormal, .ExternalClass div.ecxMsoNormal {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:'Calibri','sans-serif';} .ExternalClass a:link, .ExternalClass span.ecxMsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass a:visited, .ExternalClass span.ecxMsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass span.ecxEmailStyle17 {font-family:'Calibri','sans-serif';color:windowtext;} .ExternalClass .ecxMsoChpDefault {;} (at)page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in;} .ExternalClass div.ecxSection1 {page:Section1;}
I have an in flight adjustable IVO prop.  What I’d like to have is a light that indicates when I get to the flat pitch ‘stop’ – without adding rings and brushes.
For those who aren’t familiar with the IVO, the adjustment is made by a motor driving a jack-screw that moves a collar which torques a rod embedded in the blades.  There are no electrical stops, just a rubber washer at each end of the run.  When the collar hits the end, the motor stalls.  The rubber washer provides a softer stall which is a bit easier on the gears driving the jack screw.  A 10A CB is the ultimate ‘stop’.  Not elegant, but it works.
On the ground, before starting the engine, it’s easy to verify the prop is in fine pitch by listening to the motor.  The problem is before landing, when I’d like to have the prop in fine pitch, it has to be done by guess and feel, or just hold the switch until the CB pops – which is not a good thing to do on a regular basis.
So, what I’d like is a circuit that can sense an amperage spike – going over 9A would be perfect – and turn on a light (LED of course Smile  The ramp up to 9A is steep – goes from 5-6A to 9A very quickly (if that helps).

Thanks in advance,

Dennis Glaeser

Quote:

-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
ronics.com
ww.matronics.com/contribution

The New Busy think 9 to 5 is a cute idea. Combine multiple calendars with Hotmail. Get busy. [quote][b]

Dennis Glaeser

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Designing a circuit question Reply with quote

Mike,

I've seen their speed governor on their website, but don't know how well it
works. Making a decent speed controller is more involved and expensive than
I want.
All I really want is a 'limit sensor' for the pitch stops.
Some IVO owners have installed an ammeter, which is an option but I'm hoping
for something simpler - just a light.

Dennis

----------
Mike Welch (mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.com)
Date:

Sat Apr 17 - 5:54 PM
Dennis

I have the exact same IvoProp setup. They make an option for this
function if I'm not mistaken.
I just went to their website and checked out what they had. They call it
a prop speed govenor. Cost is $320.
Yeah I'd love to build one of these too!! If anyone can come up with a
design I could build it!!
Maybe there could be a line of LEDs that reflect the currect load in each
direction of travel.

Mike Welch

Dennis Glaeser

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Designing a circuit question Reply with quote

David,

Can the IC do any switching based on the amperage it senses?

Dennis

------------------

David M.

ainut(at)hiwaay.net

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Designing a circuit question Reply with quote

Not this one. That would have to be another circuit. A $1
microprossesser could handle a $17 relay to do that job.

David

Dennis & Anne Glaeser wrote:
Quote:

David,

Can the IC do any switching based on the amperage it senses?

Dennis

------------------

David M.

user9253

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Designing a circuit question Reply with quote

Dennis,
How about this circuit designed by Bob N?
http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/Failure_Detection_and_Annunciation.pdf
You would have to experiment with the number of turns of wire to wrap around the reed relay. I have reed switches and can bring one to the EAA meeting if you need it.
Joe

doug.ilg(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Designing a circuit question Reply with quote

Just to be clear, if all you want to do is light an LED (the original plan), there's no need for a relay. Any of those $1 microprocessors should be able to drive a normal LED directly off an output pin. Of course, if you're going to the trouble of putting together this sort of circuit, making it control a relay to take the power off the motor would be a fairly easy add-on.

Doug Ilg
Grumman Tiger N74818, College Park Airport (KCGS), Maryland
Challenger II LSS LW (N641LG reserved) - kit underway at Laurel Suburban (W18)

---

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Designing a circuit question Reply with quote

At 06:01 PM 4/17/2010, you wrote:
Quote:
I have an in flight adjustable IVO prop. What
I’d like to have is a light that indicates when
I get to the flat pitch ‘stop’ – without adding rings and brushes.
For those who aren’t familiar with the IVO, the
adjustment is made by a motor driving a
jack-screw that moves a collar which torques a
rod embedded in the blades. There are no
electrical stops, just a rubber washer at each
end of the run. When the collar hits the end,
the motor stalls. The rubber washer provides a
softer stall which is a bit easier on the gears
driving the jack screw. A 10A CB is the
ultimate ‘stop’. Not elegant, but it works.
On the ground, before starting the engine, it’s
easy to verify the prop is in fine pitch by
listening to the motor. The problem is before
landing, when I’d like to have the prop in fine
pitch, it has to be done by guess and feel, or
just hold the switch until the CB pops – which
is not a good thing to do on a regular basis.
So, what I’d like is a circuit that can sense an
amperage spike – going over 9A would be perfect
– and turn on a light (LED of course Smile The
ramp up to 9A is steep – goes from 5-6A to 9A very quickly (if that helps).

The reed switch sensor Joe mentioned is worthy of further
thought. You could also build a simple constant current
generator set for something less than the CB trip current.
By watching for the voltage to spike across the generator
could light an LED to indicate end-of-travel and stop using
the CB as an operating indicator.

I'm just getting ready to head for Wichita but I'll noodle
the idea on the way up. I can perhaps publish something later
this evening.

Bob . . .

Dennis Glaeser

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Designing a circuit question Reply with quote

Doug,

It may be clear to you, but you've got to do better than that to be clear to
me Smile
I understand the concept, but need a circuit diagram, and which $1
microprocessor to use.
I agree that once I know how to turn the LED on, adding a relay is straight
forward. Have to admit I hadn't thought of that. I have to think about it
and decide if it is worth the extra complexity and parts - vs. just me just
letting go of the switch...

Dennis

----------------------
Just to be clear, if all you want to do is light an LED (the original plan),
there's
no need for a relay. Any of those $1 microprocessors should be able to
drive a normal LED directly off an output pin. Of course, if you're going
to
the trouble of putting together this sort of circuit, making it control a
relay
to take the power off the motor would be a fairly easy add-on.
Doug Ilg

doug.ilg(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Designing a circuit question Reply with quote

Dennis,

I'm not really the right person to give lessons on microprocessors. All that I've done is to implement simple schematics and programs that I found on the 'net. (A quick search for "PIC16" should find some sites with projects for that popular line of microprocessors.) I know from that that you can drive an LED directly off an output pin with an appropriate resistor.

My point was to tell you that the relay that was referred to is not necessary for your original purpose (to light an LED). It would be useful to actually interrupt current to the motor, if you chose to do that.

Maybe the person who originally suggested using a microprocessor can give you better advice on how to use those.

Doug Ilg

---

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Designing a circuit question Reply with quote

Good Morning 'Lectric Bob,

This discussion of controlling a circuit by noting the change in power consumption has gotten me to think a bit and that is always dangerous.

My electrical knowledge is miniscule, but I can generally understand the principles once they have been explained by you and the other good instructors on this list.

I have the desire to know when fuel stops flowing from one tank to another tank via an electric pump.

In other words, I would like to know when all of the fuel from a tank has been transferred. My transfer system uses a Facet plunger style pump and as the tank runs dry, the sound of the pump changes.

Unfortunately, I can only hear the pump running when I am parked on the ground with my engine shut down. I have tried to monitor the total system amperage load to see if I could detect the change when a tank runs dry, but the load seems to oscillate enough that I cannot pick it up via that instrument. I am using an E.I. VA-1A to monitor the alternator output.

Is there a simple and, hopefully, economical way to measure the amount of current it takes to drive the pump or is there a better way to tell when fuel is no longer being transferred? I have thought of using a pressure gauge in the fuel line, but maybe it would be easier to measure the change in current draw of the fuel pump?

Facet says that the pump can be run dry for a short period of time, but they will not specify how long that time can be!

I hate to run my pump when it is operating dry. An indicator light to tell me it is running dry would sure be helpful. <G>

Any help available is sincerely appreciated.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

Downers Grove, IL
Stearman N3977A

In a message dated 4/18/2010 2:14:46 P.M. Central Daylight Time, nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com writes:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com>

At 06:01 PM 4/17/2010, you wrote:
Quote:
I have an in flight adjustable IVO prop. What
I’d like to have is a light that indicates when
I get to the flat pitch ‘stop’ – without adding rings and brushes.
For those who aren’t familiar with the IVO, the
adjustment is made by a motor driving a
jack-screw that moves a collar which torques a
rod embedded in the blades. There are no
electrical stops, just a rubber washer at each
end of the run. When the collar hits the end,
the motor stalls. The rubber washer provides a
softer stall which is a bit easier on the gears
driving the jack screw. A 10A CB is the
ultimate ‘stop’. Not elegant, but it works.
On the ground, before starting the engine, it’s
easy to verify the prop is in fine pitch by
listening to the motor.  The problem is before
landing, when I’d like to have the prop in fine
pitch, it has to be done by guess and feel, or
just hold the switch until the CB pops – which
is not a good thing to do on a regular basis.
So, what I’d like is a circuit that can sense an
amperage spike – going over 9A would be perfect
– and turn on a light (LED of course Smile The
ramp up to 9A is steep – goes from 5-6A to 9A very quickly (if that helps).

The reed switch sensor Joe mentioned is worthy of further
thought. You could also build a simple constant current
generator set for something less than the CB trip current.
By watching for the voltage to spike across the generator
could light an LED to indicate end-of-travel and stop using
the CB as an operating indicator.

I'm just getting ready to head for Wichita but I'll noodle
the idea on the way up. I can perhaps publish something later
this evening.

Bob . . . ========================= Use utilities Day ================================================ - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS ================================================ - List Contribution Web Site sp;   ===================================================

[quote][b]

deej(at)deej.net

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Designing a circuit question Reply with quote

On 04/19/2010 07:39 AM, BobsV35B(at)aol.com wrote:

Quote:
I have the desire to know when fuel stops flowing from one tank to
another tank via an electric pump.

How about an optical in-line fuel sensor?

http://www.pillarpointelectronics.com/ufstkit.html
<http://www.pillarpointelectronics.com/ufstkit.html>

-Dj

--
Dj Merrill - N1JOV
Glastar Sportsman 2+2 Builder #7118 N421DJ - http://deej.net/sportsman/
Grumman Yankee Driver N9870L - http://deej.net/yankee/

ainut(at)knology.net

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Designing a circuit question Reply with quote

For simplicity's sake, look at the Arduino. For more detailed
information, start at Freescale's (formerly Motorola) sites.

David
Doug Ilg wrote:
[quote]

Dennis,

I'm not really the right person to give lessons on microprocessors. All that I've done is to implement simple schematics and programs that I found on the 'net. (A quick search for "PIC16" should find some sites with projects for that popular line of microprocessors.) I know from that that you can drive an LED directly off an output pin with an appropriate resistor.

My point was to tell you that the relay that was referred to is not necessary for your original purpose (to light an LED). It would be useful to actually interrupt current to the motor, if you chose to do that.

Maybe the person who originally suggested using a microprocessor can give you better advice on how to use those.

Doug Ilg

---

sean(at)stephensville.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Designing a circuit question Reply with quote

I've also had fun playing around with this to help learn the basics.

http://www.nerdkits.com/
On 4/19/10 9:32 AM, David wrote:
[quote]

For simplicity's sake, look at the Arduino. For more detailed
information, start at Freescale's (formerly Motorola) sites.

David
Doug Ilg wrote:
>
>
> Dennis,
>
> I'm not really the right person to give lessons on microprocessors.
> All that I've done is to implement simple schematics and programs
> that I found on the 'net. (A quick search for "PIC16" should find
> some sites with projects for that popular line of microprocessors.)
> I know from that that you can drive an LED directly off an output pin
> with an appropriate resistor.
>
> My point was to tell you that the relay that was referred to is not
> necessary for your original purpose (to light an LED). It would be
> useful to actually interrupt current to the motor, if you chose to do
> that.
>
> Maybe the person who originally suggested using a microprocessor can
> give you better advice on how to use those.
>
> Doug Ilg
> Grumman Tiger N74818, College Park Airport (KCGS), Maryland
> Challenger II LSS LW (N641LG reserved) - kit underway at Laurel
> Suburban (W18)
>
> ---

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Designing a circuit question Reply with quote

Good Afternoon Dj,

That sounds like just what I need!

Unfortunately, I want to use it on a certificated airplane. I will check it out.

Thanks much for the information.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

In a message dated 4/19/2010 9:48:46 A.M. Central Daylight Time, deej(at)deej.net writes:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Dj Merrill <deej(at)deej.net>

On 04/19/2010 07:39 AM, BobsV35B(at)aol.com wrote:

Quote:
I have the desire to know when fuel stops flowing from one tank to
another tank via an electric pump.

How about an optical in-line fuel sensor?

http://www.pillarpointelectronics.com/ufstkit.html
<http://www.pillarpointelectronics.com/ufstkit.html>

-Dj

--
Dj Merrill - N1JOV
Glastar Sportsman 2+2 Builder #7118 N421DJ - http://deej.net/sportsman/
Grumman Yankee Driver N9870L - ===============================================
_-= = Use utilities Day ================================================ - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS ================================================ - List Contribution Web Site sp;   ===================================================

[quote][b]

user9253

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Designing a circuit question Reply with quote

I wrapped 25 turns of 20awg magnet wire around a magnetic reed switch. I was surprised at how well it works. Less than 1/2 amp is enough to close the switch. Very few turns of wire will be required for Dennis' application of turning on a light when motor current exceeds 7amps.
Joe
Ref: http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/Failure_Detection_and_Annunciation.pdf

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Designing a circuit question Reply with quote

Hi Bob, and everyone else following this thread...

I have an even simpler solution, possibly costing significantly less, using the hotly debated poly-fuse. Simply put a 6A or 7A one in series with the motor, with an LED+resistor across it. When the fuse trips, the LED is energised... In it's normal state, all the current travels through the low impedance fuse, and 'none' through the LED+resistor path. No heatsink required! However, there is the problem of securing everything and making sure vibration doesn't age the soldered joints prematurely.

I considered this. This is the control philosophy
for most cars on the electric window-risers. It's
certainly simple and reliable. They are relatively
slow acting devices and it would take some experimentation
to get the right device. Also, once they've tripped, it
may take 10 seconds or more for them to cool off enough
to reset. So once the light comes on, you would have
to wait for sufficient cooling to come off the stop.
But if that operating mode meets design goals,
it's certainly an option.

Does the current limiting characteristic you mention literally limit the current to the pitch motor? My guess is it does (at least somewhat), which is why the N-fet becomes a cabin heater.

But it's a heater only while you are in the current limited
mode. i.e. against the stop and the light is lit. Only a second
or so at a time (reaction time to release the switch after
the light comes on).

I'm thinking that the electrical paths from the switch to the N-fet, and path from the N-fet to the ALSRJ resistor to ground need to be capable of 10A, but the other wiring will see much less.

How would I 'adjust for desired limit' on the ALSRJ resistor to go up to say 8A? How did you calculate or estimate that value? How sensitive would you anticipate that to be?

The current limit calibration is a function of voltage
drop across the low value resistor and the base-emitter
turn-on voltage for the clamp transistor. Assuming 0.6
volts turn-on and 0.1 ohms, we get about 6 amps. I would
'trim' the set point to higher values by paralleling the
0.1 ohm resistor with another, higher value.

The reason I ask is that the load on the motor does increase as the pitch on the blades approach the high (and low) pitch limits, before the mechanical stop is reached. The mechanism is literally twisting composite blades, they don't rotate in bearings like 'regular' adjustable blades. I may have to adjust the current limit to be sure I can get the blades close enough to the pitch limits for my purposes. My rough measurement of current (reading a clamp on meter) indicates a pretty good knee in the curve at around 8A. 6A may be close enough, only testing will tell.

Exactly. Adding a 0.5 ohm resistor in parallel would
raise the set point to abut 7.2 amps. Adding another
.5 ohm raises it to 8.4 amsp, etc.

Finally, how would you compare this circuit to the reed switch approach that Joe Gores proposed, from a standpoint of repeatability of sensing the target amperage, and the ability to make adjustments to get to the desired target (number of winds and wire size selection)?

The reed switch would only light the light, it would not
eliminate using the "breaker-trip" as the ultimate limit
switch. In the stone-simple category of solutions, the
polyswitch suggestion has some merit.

Related question. How is the amount of heat sink area calculated? I
assume it is based on the amount of energy converted to heat. Where can
I find the info to determine what size heat sink is required. Does the
electrically insulating material also thermally insulate the component
and affect the design of the heat sink?

Heat sinking is an interesting and not really complicated
discipline. It comes with two primary design goals to consider.
They might be characterized as the "marathon" and "100-yard dash"
modes for thermal management.

A heat sink's ability to keep a semiconductor cool is a
combination of thermal mass and surface area available
to reject heat. In the case of CONTINUOUS duty operation
like the linear dimmer modules, surface area and air
flow are the driving considerations. In our intermittent
duty application (1 second at each end of stroke), we
can use a heat sink that is horribly undersized for
continuous duty as long as total thermal mass is sufficient
to keep the transistor junction from fusing in the
few seconds per operation and sufficiently space to allow
cooling for the next cycle.

I didn't do a calculation for the suggestion that was
mostly an experience-based recommendation.

There's a lot of data available on the 'net that
speaks to continuous duty heat sink sizing and the
insulating, thermally conducting washers used to
electrically isolate the device from the heat sink.

Intermittent duty sizing is not so common although
it's easily estimated. It's a thermal rate-of-rise
study that accounts for junction to sink thermal
resistance + thermal inertia of the heatsink
where we consider the specific heat of the material
and it's total mass. I think I've got some words
that discuss that process somewhere, I'll dig around.

In any case, for this application, we don't need
to design a heat-sink that allows the transistor
to operate in an extended "cabin heater" mode.

Bob . . . [quote][b]

mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Designing a circuit question Reply with quote

'Lectric Bob,

I REALLY like your circuit design regarding the IvoProp motor. In fact, I'm planning on building one, seeing as how I have an IvoProp...with the motor.

If I understand the process correctly, by pushing the dpdt switch, when the motor sees 6 A current, the LED will light up. Let go of the dpdt switch quickly, and you're in like Flynn.

Here's my question: would it be much of a challenge for the motor to lighten multiple LEDs (in both directions), as it cycles from 0 to 10A? Of course, you'd want two separate circuits indicating if you're headed to flat pitch...or steep pitch, or some method to insure you're twisting the prop in the correct direction you intended to.

Wouldn't this design I'm asking about be essentially an analog version of a current meter? Example: say you're at zero pitch, and you cycle toward steep pitch. As the motor's current draw increases, it could light a 1A LED, then a 2A LED, a 3A LED, etc, etc.

Same process for the other prop twist.

If a guy had this type of design he could routinely set his prop pitch to a known LED position to achieve maximum value of a variable pitch prop. He could adjust his engine and prop (LED) to a known performance characteristic.....i.e......engine rpm 4750, pitch in the steep direction #5 LED.

Thanks for your ideas!

Mike Welch

BTW. I built that copper tape groundplane antenna. It works great so far, but I'm waiting on the bnc connector/PL 259 adapter for the SWR meter to adjust it correctly (Radio Shack Friday's delivery)!!

Dennis Glaeser

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Designing a circuit question Reply with quote

See my comments after the ----->'s below...

RE: RE: Designing a circuit question

I REALLY like your circuit design regarding the IvoProp motor. In fact I'm
planning on building one seeing as how I have an IvoProp...with the motor.

If I understand the process correctly by pushing the dpdt switch when the
motor sees 6A current the LED will light up. Let go of the dpdt switch
quickly and you're in like Flynn.
------->
Yup! Not only does the LED illuminate, the current to the motor is limited,
so it may stop before reaching the physical stop if twisting the blade is
loading the motor enough. That's why I was asking about adjusting the
trigger amperage. We don't want the circuit limiting the pitch too much.
-----------------

Here's my question: would it be much of a challenge for the motor to
lighten multiple LEDs (in both directions) as it cycles from 0 to 10A? Of
course you'd want two separate circuits indicating if you're headed to flat
pitch...or steep pitch or some method to insure you're twisting the prop in
the correct direction you intended to.
---------->
The light will come on whenever the trigger amperage is reached as you note
above. Direction (toward high or low pitch) depends on which way the switch
is moved. Bob's circuit sees current in the same direction all the time,
the switch is where it is reversed for the motor.
----------------------

Wouldn't this design I'm asking about be essentially an analog version of a
current meter? Example: say you're at zero pitch and you cycle toward steep
pitch. As the motor's current draw increases it could light a 1A LED then a
2A LED a 3A LED etc etc.
If a guy had this type of design he could routinely set his prop pitch to a
known LED position to achieve maximum value of a variable pitch prop. He
could adjust his engine and prop (LED) to a known performance
characteristic.....i.e......engine rpm 4750 pitch in the steep direction #5
LED.
-------->
A number of IVO users have put an ammeter in the circuit to do what you
suggest by simply reading the meter instead of watching LEDs. Direction is
which way you move the switch, the ammeter works the same in both
directions.
-------------

Same process for the other prop twist.
---------->
No, the current to the switch is always in the same direction. You'd have
to put something on in the lines to the motor to be able to sense which way
the motor is being driven.
-------------

Dennis Glaeser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: