Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

569JC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlm46007(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: 569JC Reply with quote

Anyone know the story yet?
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Phil.Perry(at)netapp.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: 569JC Reply with quote

Here you go…………
See Below

Phil

Today I got lucky, real lucky.

3 Months ago to the day our RV-10 was signed off from a Kit to an Airplane, today it experienced its first and hopefully last engine failure. With 58 hours on the Hobbs she had until this point been the best 4 place airplane I’ve ever flown.

I had flown some friends from Pearland TX over to Victoria so they could pick up their motor home. A very non-eventful flight, a little bumpy VFR down at 2000 AGL, but an overcast layer prevented any higher. Once there I decided that I would file IFR for the flight back, get on top and enjoy some tailwinds.

I left Victoria, climbed to 7000 and enjoyed some much needed sunlight. Houston Center was their normal cheerful self; all in all, life was good. I was cleared down to 4000, as luck would have the Overcast layer had also dropped a few thousand feet so I remained on Top… wow so nice, still don’t have to be in the clunk! Center switched me to Approach, we agreed upon the GPS approach back to Pearland, and I was cleared to the IAF. Up until this point everything was absolutely great!

I started my decent out of 4, down to 3000 going direct the IAF… At 3400 ft, that’s when the adrenalin started pumping. Now I’ll be honest, I don’t’ know if I heard the prop fluctuate or not, but something got my attention. I did a quick engine check and saw that EGT’s where high… very very high. I knew immediately I had a problem, but I had no idea just how bad the problem was. Training kicked in and Mixture to rich, boost pump on, tank switch. The EGT’s came down, but they didn’t stop coming down. When I saw them drop below 200 or so, and I was getting no reaction what-so-ever from the throttle… Well, Houston We Have A Problem.

I declared the Emergency… If you ever want to hear a frequency go totally quiet, just use those words. Informed Approach of a total power failure and requested vectors to the nearest airport. Houston Approach was for the most part absolutely wonderful. Without missing a beat they informed me that Brazoria was 7’Oclock and 5 miles. I IMMEDIATELY started the turn and realized that with my now wonderful tailwind turned headwind, there was no way I was going to make it.

Let me back up just a bit… All this is happing IMC. I entered the overcast layer at about 3800 FT, bases are reported anywhere between 1000-1500 depending on which ASOS you listen to.

Continuing on…. Not going to make Brazoria, I know I have to do something. Glancing at my EFIS Map I see that ľ a mile away is a private strip that Center probably didn’t even know existed. I turn directly at that airport (7R9), informed Approach where I was going, then I waited, and waited, and waited…. Not much else I could think to do at the time. Still IMC. Engine Out. I didn’t really think I’d be in this situation, ever.

Ľ mile from the airport, at 1300 ft I break out. Guys & Gals, I haven’t been so happy to see a perfectly mowed grass strip in my life! A quick turn away to burn Airspeed and Altitude, slip to final, and down we come. The landing went perfect, it was downwind. I didn’t care, the airplane didn’t care. The prop finally quit windmilling in the flair, telling me that it really was dead, as if I didn’t know.

I managed to get us (me and the plane) on the ground, unhurt, out of that situation. Is it all skill, well I’d like to think so… but I know better! I got lucky, very lucky.

What went wrong? The short version: a fuel line broke.

The long version: During final assembly it came to my attention that people with the Fuel Flow transducer in the “Tunnel” where experiencing FF fluctuation when using the electric pump. The fix? Move the FF Transducer to between the Fuel Injection Servo and the Spider. Well, that’s what I did. When I relocated the Transducer I had to fabricate a line between the Servo and the Transducer. The line I fabricated was Ľ inch aluminum, that was the flaw. That line broke just outside the fitting. When I made that line I made sure it wasn’t under any stress, in a natural position, etc. Apparently that was not enough. Now, I will say this. This was the one component of the airplane I was never quite happy with. It just “didn’t look right”. I had some other builders take a look, half heartedly hoping they would tell me that aluminum was bad and I should change it, but no one did. So it stayed, and worked fine for 58 hours.

[img]cid:image001.jpg(at)01CAE310.444F73C0[/img]

I blame no one but myself for what happened. A part of me knew that that line wasn’t right, yet I talked myself into believing it was fine. Don’t ever short change your gut… most of the time its got good instincts!

She’s now grounded, awaiting Stainless Tubing so I can make the fuel like the way I originally envisioned. Parts should be here next week, and the adventure will continue.

Now comes the part where I’d like to thank the people that helped me stay alive today!

First my Father, Kirk. You see, I started flying Ultralights at 14, and it was he who preached at me to practice engine outs. They where 2 strokes, and it wasn’t “if” they would quit, it was “when”. I never lost an engine flying Ultralights, but I sure practiced.

My Flight Instructors. All you guys (and there has been a few..) who would randomly pull power, then say “Now what?”

Rob Hickman and the entire crew at Advanced Flight Systems. Without those awesome EFIS’s (and I really do mean awesome) I probably would have never known that the airport I landed at was there. It didn’t show up on the 430, Approach didn’t know, and I was stuck IMC. And the data logging.. wow. I poured over every second of that flight to find out when exactly I converted from ASEL to Glider… Having that data is invaluable.

John Cram (build partner) and Rick Carr for selfless gathering their own tools and driving to my rescue. With their help we where able to fabricate a new fuel line ferry the airplane the 22 miles home.

The entire group of local airport bums that showed up to offer a helping hand. I only wish I could remember each and everyone’s name, but that is not my strong suit. I owe all of you at least a beer!

Last but not least… Brazoria County Constables and Sheriff’s (no less than 5) who showed up, lights and sirens agoin, to come to my rescue. Thankfully I didn’t need it, but it sure is nice to know that help is on the way.

In case anyone wants to know how fast this happens. Total time from Me turning on the Fuel Pump to wheels on the ground: 2 Minutes 46 seconds.

[img]cid:image002.jpg(at)01CAE310.444F73C0[/img]

[img]cid:image003.jpg(at)01CAE310.444F73C0[/img]

Sent: Friday, April 23, 2010 5:57 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: 569JC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

image001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.97 KB
 Viewed:  6452 Time(s)

image001.jpg

image002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  121.85 KB
 Viewed:  6452 Time(s)

image002.jpg

Image003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.12 KB
 Viewed:  587 Time(s)

Image003.jpg

stein(at)steinair.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: 569JC Reply with quote

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=57122

Cheers,

Stein

Do not archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of DLM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Strasnuts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: 569JC Reply with quote

Awesome story! Great job getting down in one piece. Thanks for sharing.
Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 23, 2010, at 17:10, "Perry, Phil" <Phil.Perry(at)netapp.com (Phil.Perry(at)netapp.com)> wrote:

[quote]
Here you go…………
See Below

Phil

3 Months ago to the day our RV-10 was signed off from a Kit to an Airplane, today it experienced its first and hopefully last engine failure. With 58 hours on the Hobbs she had until this point been the best 4 place airplane I’ve ever flown.

I had flown some friends from Pearland TX over to Victoria so they could pick up their motor home. A very non-eventful flight, a little bumpy VFR down at 2000 AGL, but an overcast layer prevented any higher. Once there I decided that I would file IFR for the flight back, get on top and enjoy some tailwinds.

I left Victoria, climbed to 7000 and enjoyed some much needed sunlight. Houston Center was their normal cheerful self; all in all, life was good. I was cleared down to 4000, as luck would have the Overcast layer had also dropped a few thousand feet so I remained on Top… wow so nice, still don’t have to be in the clunk! Center switched me to Approach, we agreed upon the GPS approach back to Pearland, and I was cleared to the IAF. Up until this point everything was absolutely great!

I started my decent out of 4, down to 3000 going direct the IAF… At 3400 ft, that’s when the adrenalin started pumping. Now I’ll be honest, I don’t’ know if I heard the prop fluctuate or not, but something got my attention. I did a quick engine check and saw that EGT’s where high… very very high. I knew immediately I had a problem, but I had no idea just how bad the problem was. Training kicked in and Mixture to rich, boost pump on, tank switch. The EGT’s came down, but they didn’t stop coming down. When I saw them drop below 200 or so, and I was getting no reaction what-so-ever from the throttle… Well, Houston We Have A Problem.

I declared the Emergency… If you ever want to hear a frequency go totally quiet, just use those words. Informed Approach of a total power failure and requested vectors to the nearest airport. Houston Approach was for the most part absolutely wonderful. Without missing a beat they informed me that Brazoria was 7’Oclock and 5 miles. I IMMEDIATELY started the turn and realized that with my now wonderful tailwind turned headwind, there was no way I was going to make it.

Let me back up just a bit… All this is happing IMC. I entered the overcast layer at about 3800 FT, bases are reported anywhere between 1000-1500 depending on which ASOS you listen to.

Continuing on…. Not going to make Brazoria, I know I have to do something. Glancing at my EFIS Map I see that ¾ a mile away is a private strip that Center probably didn’t even know existed. I turn directly at that airport (7R9), informed Approach where I was going, then I waited, and waited, and waited…. Not much else I could think to do at the time. Still IMC. Engine Out. I didn’t really think I’d be in this situation, ever.

¼ mile from the airport, at 1300 ft I break out. Guys & Gals, I haven’t been so happy to see a perfectly mowed grass strip in my life! A quick turn away to burn Airspeed and Altitude, slip to final, and down we come. The landing went perfect, it was downwind. I didn’t care, the airplane didn’t care. The prop finally quit windmilling in the flair, telling me that it really was dead, as if I didn’t know.

I managed to get us (me and the plane) on the ground, unhurt, out of that situation. Is it all skill, well I’d like to think so… but I know better! I got lucky, very lucky.

The long version: During final assembly it came to my attention that people with the Fuel Flow transducer in the “Tunnel” where experiencing FF fluctuation when using the electric pump. The fix? Move the FF Transducer to between the Fuel Injection Servo and the Spider. Well, that’s what I did. When I relocated the Transducer I had to fabricate a line between the Servo and the Transducer. The line I fabricated was ¼ inch aluminum, that was the flaw. That line broke just outside the fitting. When I made that line I made sure it wasn’t under any stress, in a natural position, etc. Apparently that was not enough. Now, I will say this. This was the one component of the airplane I was never quite happy with. It just “didn’t look right”. I had some other builders take a look, half heartedly hoping they would tell me that aluminum was bad and I should change it, but no one did. So it stayed, and worked fine for 58 hours.

<image001.jpg>

I blame no one but myself for what happened. A part of me knew that that line wasn’t right, yet I talked myself into believing it was fine. Don’t ever short change your gut… most of the time its got good instincts!

She’s now grounded, awaiting Stainless Tubing so I can make the fuel like the way I originally envisioned. Parts should be here next week, and the adventure will continue.

Now comes the part where I’d like to thank the people that helped me stay alive today!

First my Father, Kirk. You see, I started flying Ultralights at 14, and it was he who preached at me to practice engine outs. They where 2 strokes, and it wasn’t “if” they would quit, it was “when”. I never lost an engine flying Ultralights, but I sure practiced.

My Flight Instructors. All you guys (and there has been a few..) who would randomly pull power, then say “Now what?”

Rob Hickman and the entire crew at Advanced Flight Systems. Without those awesome EFIS’s (and I really do mean awesome) I probably would have never known that the airport I landed at was there. It didn’t show up on the 430, Approach didn’t know, and I was stuck IMC. And the data logging.. wow. I poured over every second of that flight to find out when exactly I converted from ASEL to Glider… Having that data is invaluable.

John Cram (build partner) and Rick Carr for selfless gathering their own tools and driving to my rescue. With their help we where able to fabricate a new fuel line ferry the airplane the 22 miles home.

The entire group of local airport bums that showed up to offer a helping hand. I only wish I could remember each and everyone’s name, but that is not my strong suit. I owe all of you at least a beer!

Last but not least… Brazoria County Constables and Sheriff’s (no less than 5) who showed up, lights and sirens agoin, to come to my rescue. Thankfully I didn’t need it, but it sure is nice to know that help is on the way.

In case anyone wants to know how fast this happens. Total time from Me turning on the Fuel Pump to wheels on the ground: 2 Minutes 46 seconds.

<image002.jpg>

<image003.jpg>

To: [url=mailto:rv10-list(at)matronics.com]rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)[/url]

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[b]

SuperSTOL 60 hours
pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: 569JC Reply with quote

Perry, Phil wrote:
Quote:

Awesome job Phil!

I've had 3 off-field landings ..... two engine related and one was
precautionary for fuel ..... which leaked from a hole in a hard line.

On all occasions, I was snatched from harm by the thousands of angels on
my shoulders. No skill involved!

And declaring an emergency (another flight after the fuel leak .... I
didn't find it after the 'warning') was the easiest thing I ever did!!!
Linn

flysrv10(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: 569JC Reply with quote

What a story! Thank goodness for the ending. You are now a better pilot because of it.

Do not archive.
On Apr 23, 2010, at 7:10 PM, Perry, Phil wrote:
[quote]Here you go…………
See Below

Phil

Continuing on…. Not going to make Brazoria, I know I have to do something. Glancing at my EFIS Map I see that ľ a mile away is a private strip that Center probably didn’t even know existed. I turn directly at that airport (7R9), informed Approach where I was going, then I waited, and waited, and waited…. Not much else I could think to do at the time. Still IMC. Engine Out. I didn’t really think I’d be in this situation, ever.

Ľ mile from the airport, at 1300 ft I break out. Guys & Gals, I haven’t been so happy to see a perfectly mowed grass strip in my life! A quick turn away to burn Airspeed and Altitude, slip to final, and down we come. The landing went perfect, it was downwind. I didn’t care, the airplane didn’t care. The prop finally quit windmilling in the flair, telling me that it really was dead, as if I didn’t know.

The long version: During final assembly it came to my attention that people with the Fuel Flow transducer in the “Tunnel” where experiencing FF fluctuation when using the electric pump. The fix? Move the FF Transducer to between the Fuel Injection Servo and the Spider. Well, that’s what I did. When I relocated the Transducer I had to fabricate a line between the Servo and the Transducer. The line I fabricated was Ľ inch aluminum, that was the flaw. That line broke just outside the fitting. When I made that line I made sure it wasn’t under any stress, in a natural position, etc. Apparently that was not enough. Now, I will say this. This was the one component of the airplane I was never quite happy with. It just “didn’t look right”. I had some other builders take a look, half heartedly hoping they would tell me that aluminum was bad and I should change it, but no one did. So it stayed, and worked fine for 58 hours.

<image001.jpg>

<image002.jpg>

<image003.jpg>

To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[b]

Phil.Perry(at)netapp.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: 569JC Reply with quote

That was not me!! Mine won't fly any further than I can throw it. Smile

That was a copy and paste from the VAF posting. I should have made that
more clear.

Sorry about that,
Phil

--

Strasnuts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: 569JC Reply with quote

I take back all that nice stuff I said;)

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 23, 2010, at 17:46, "Perry, Phil" <Phil.Perry(at)netapp.com> wrote:

[quote]

That was not me!! Mine won't fly any further than I can throw it. Smile

That was a copy and paste from the VAF posting. I should have made
that
more clear.

Sorry about that,
Phil

--

SuperSTOL 60 hours
Phil.Perry(at)netapp.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: 569JC Reply with quote

Thanks Sean...

At least my dogs still like me. Smile

--

Strasnuts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 569JC Reply with quote

Kind of cool to see the flightaware trip.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N569JC

SuperSTOL 60 hours
vk2gcn(at)cirruscomms.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: 569JC Reply with quote

That’s just an amazing story! I’m doing SE CMD right now with about 35 hours in and that scenario I have thought about over and over.
What if the big Fan stops when you’re in IMC? All I can say is well Done and good on the technology that led you to that strip!

cheers
John MacCallum
Builder 41016

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Perry, Phil
Sent: Saturday, 24 April 2010 9:11 AM
Subject: RE: 569JC

Here you go…………
See Below

Phil

[img]cid:image001.jpg(at)01CAE3E7.9599B6F0[/img]

[img]cid:image002.jpg(at)01CAE3E7.9599B6F0[/img]

[img]cid:image003.jpg(at)01CAE3E7.9599B6F0[/img]

Quote:
 http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List http://forums.matronics.com http://www.matronics.com/contribution

MauleDriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: 569JC Reply with quote

Nick, really, really nice job piloting (period).

Sitting in the virtual cockpit with you, I'm imagining that it must be
nice not having to transition off a vacuum powered anything when you
lost power. And the situational awareness of the glass has to be sweet.

Would be curious to hear any thoughts of why there wasn't a fire.

Bill "fully awake this morning" Watson

woxofswa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 569JC Reply with quote

Great story.

After 35 years in the air I have learned that the trite statements
"fate is the hunter" and "God is my copilot" are quite true. Nevertheless, you showed a clear head and great skill in my opinion.

Just last week I was on the phone with the folks who make the red cube transducer and they too told me that putting it in the tunnel like Van's shows on the prints is a bad idea. The other thing they told me and that they were emphatic about was that you must use FLEX line both in and out of the cube. In fact they suggested no hard line anywhere between any mounted components in the fuel system. They said that different masses get different vibration patterns and will crack the hard lines.

rv10builder(at)verizon.ne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: 569JC Reply with quote

I believe Vans has their Demo plane setup per the plans and they haven't
had issues. I recall asking support about this a while back and they stated
all their planes are setup with the aluminum tube and never had an issue.
The plane with this issue has his cube in the engine area by the servo to
avoid reported fuel pump issue (high GPH readings when on) not the tunnel-
he would have known he had a problem if it was in the tunnel the fuel smell
would have given that away- lucky there was not fire in the engine area.
P

--------------------------------------------------
Sent: Saturday, April 24, 2010 2:09 PM
To: <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Re: 569JC

Quote:

Great story.

Just last week I was on the phone with the folks who make the red cube
transducer and they too told me that putting it in the tunnel like Van's
shows on the prints is a bad idea. The other thing they told me and that
they were emphatic about was that you must use FLEX line both in and out
of the cube. In fact they suggested no hard line anywhere between any
mounted components in the fuel system. They said that different masses
get different vibration patterns and will crack the hard lines.

--------
Myron Nelson
Mesa, AZ
Emp completed, QB wings completed, legacy build fuse in progress

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=295572#295572

dlm46007(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: 569JC Reply with quote

All the more reason for a fire bottle; note the fire handle in the picture.
System is plumbed to two sprayers; one over the engine and one aft of the
rear cylinder baffles

--

IMG_0133.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.19 MB
 Viewed:  6365 Time(s)

IMG_0133.JPG

jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: 569JC Reply with quote

The floscan people said absolutely no rigid lines with the transducer
in the engine compartment, but they didn't say that for inside
firewall mounting. Much less vibration there.

Do not archive

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation
jesse(at)saintaviation.com
352-427-0285

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 24, 2010, at 5:29 PM, "Pascal" <rv10builder(at)verizon.net> wrote:

Quote:

I believe Vans has their Demo plane setup per the plans and they
haven't had issues. I recall asking support about this a while back
and they stated all their planes are setup with the aluminum tube
and never had an issue.
The plane with this issue has his cube in the engine area by the
servo to avoid reported fuel pump issue (high GPH readings when on)
not the tunnel- he would have known he had a problem if it was in
the tunnel the fuel smell would have given that away- lucky there
was not fire in the engine area.
P

--------------------------------------------------
Sent: Saturday, April 24, 2010 2:09 PM
To: <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Re: 569JC

>
>
> Great story.
>
> Just last week I was on the phone with the folks who make the red
> cube transducer and they too told me that putting it in the tunnel
> like Van's shows on the prints is a bad idea. The other thing they
> told me and that they were emphatic about was that you must use
> FLEX line both in and out of the cube. In fact they suggested no
> hard line anywhere between any mounted components in the fuel
> system. They said that different masses get different vibration
> patterns and will crack the hard lines.
>
> --------
> Myron Nelson
> Mesa, AZ
> Emp completed, QB wings completed, legacy build fuse in progress
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=295572#295572
>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: