Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Infinity grip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maurv8(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Infinity grip Reply with quote

Bob,
I'm in the process of wiring my RV-8 and have a switch on the Infinity grip to control the Airflow Performance (API) aux fuel pump.
The literature on the pump says the current draw is 5 amps at 12 volts and should be protected with a 10 amp c/b.
The switch in the grip is rated at 6 amp at 12volts.
API engineering thinks the switch in the grip may not be able to handle the inrush current on the pump when actitivated and thinks I should use a relay which I'd rather not do.
J.D at Infinity Aerospace thinks a zener diode will solve this problem and suggested I check with you for your opinion and a possible circuit.

Since this combination of grip and pump has been used in a lot of RVs, I thought that, if this was a problem, it would have been solved by someone already.

Mauri Morin
Ronan, MT

[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Infinity grip Reply with quote

At 06:30 PM 5/4/2010, you wrote:
Quote:
Bob,
I'm in the process of wiring my RV-8 and have a switch on the Infinity grip to control the Airflow Performance (API) aux fuel pump.
The literature on the pump says the current draw is 5 amps at 12 volts and should be protected with a 10 amp c/b.
API engineering thinks the switch in the grip may not be able to handle the inrush current on the pump when actitivated and thinks I should use a relay which I'd rather not do.
J.D at Infinity Aerospace thinks a zener diode will solve this problem and suggested I check with you for your opinion and a possible circuit.

Since this combination of grip and pump has been used in a lot of RVs, I thought that, if this was a problem, it would have been solved by someone already.

API is correct in that some sort of buffering
between the switch and motor is called for.
It's probably a PM motor with a significant
spin-up transient. The relay is the simplest.
You can do it with a single transistor and a
few jelly bean components too. I can sketch
either.

Bob . . . [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Speedy11(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Infinity grip Reply with quote

Mauri,
FYI, I have some problems with sticking switches on the Infinity stick. In particular, the PTT and flap switches are the most aggravating. It happens with both the momentary button and the silver toggle switch. JD said the buttons may have a bit of plastic that needs to be trimmed to solve the problem - that doesn't explain the toggle switch, though.
I suggest you examine the button before assembly.
Stan Sutterfield
Do not archive
Quote:
I'm in the process of wiring my RV-8 and have a switch on the Infinity
grip to control the Airflow Performance (API) aux fuel pump.
The literature on the pump says the current draw is 5 amps at 12 volts
and should be protected with a 10 amp c/b.
API engineering thinks the switch in the grip may not be able to handle
the inrush current on the pump when actitivated and thinks I should use
a relay which I'd rather not do.
J.D at Infinity Aerospace thinks a zener diode will solve this problem
and suggested I check with you for your opinion and a possible circuit.

Since this combination of grip and pump has been used in a lot of RVs, I
thought that, if this was a problem, it would have been solved by
someone already.

Mauri Morin

[quote][b]

ctbecker

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Infinity grip Reply with quote

For peace of mind and reduced complexity, I'd use the
relays. It keeps all the really high currents out of the
grip.

Charlie
On Tue, 4 May 2010 17:30:22 -0600
"Mauri Morin" <maurv8(at)gmail.com> wrote:
Quote:
Bob,
I'm in the process of wiring my RV-8 and have a switch
on the Infinity grip to control the Airflow Performance
(API) aux fuel pump.
The literature on the pump says the current draw is 5
amps at 12 volts and should be protected with a 10 amp
c/b.
API engineering thinks the switch in the grip may not be
able to handle the inrush current on the pump when
actitivated and thinks I should use a relay which I'd
rather not do.
J.D at Infinity Aerospace thinks a zener diode will
solve this problem and suggested I check with you for
your opinion and a possible circuit.

Since this combination of grip and pump has been used in
a lot of RVs, I thought that, if this was a problem, it
would have been solved by someone already.

Mauri Morin
Ronan, MT

Eric M. Jones

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Infinity grip Reply with quote

A word on switches:

The make switches in runs of tens-of-millions, where minor costs are serious concerns--and that's why they squeeze every penny out of the design. (And that's why your Exacto knife doesn't have a one-cent washer between the handle and the collar).

So it's easy to find out that your switches are too cheap for the job, especially switches that don't have jungle-environment ratings, which they really need when you are 20 miles from the airport and you hear that funny sound....

My philosophy is to use environmentally sealed switches on control sticks. People sweat an awful lot. Oddly enough, computer joysticks frequently have excellent (but low current) switches.

My Glastar (the plan is...) should have two Saitek Cyborg 2000 stick grips which have half a dozen cool features (and adjustments with metal fasteners) not found elsewhere.

Southbridge, MA 01550
(508) 764-2072
emjones(at)charter.net
rampil

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Infinity grip Reply with quote

Just out of curiousity, why do you feel the need for an Aux pump control
on your stick? It seems that you would only use it at the start and end
(perhaps) of a flight, and stick controls should generally be reserved for
things that you fiddle with frequently during a flight.

This would seem especially true after learning that the switch is not
adequate for the pump you bought.

maurv8(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Infinity grip Reply with quote

Thanks, Bob, for your help. Think I'll bite the bullet and go with the relay.
Wish I'd thought of this ealier but ..OH WELL.

Mauri
DO NOT ARCHIVE
On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
[quote] At 06:30 PM 5/4/2010, you wrote:
Quote:
Bob,

API is correct in that some sort of buffering
   between the switch and motor is called for.
   It's probably a PM motor with a significant
   spin-up transient. The relay is the simplest.
   You can do it with a single transistor and a
   few jelly bean components too. I can sketch
   either.

Bob . . .
Quote:

ist" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
ttp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

maurv8(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Infinity grip Reply with quote

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 9:23 AM, <Speedy11(at)aol.com (Speedy11(at)aol.com)> wrote:

Stan,

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check the whole grip out when I mount it on the stick 

Mauri
DO NOT ARCHIVE

[quote] Mauri,
FYI, I have some problems with sticking switches on the Infinity stick.  In particular, the PTT and flap switches are the most aggravating.  It happens with both the momentary button and the silver toggle switch.  JD said the buttons may have a bit of plastic that needs to be trimmed to solve the problem - that doesn't explain the toggle switch, though.
I suggest you examine the button before assembly.
Stan Sutterfield
Do not archive
Quote:
I'm in the process of wiring my RV-8 and have a switch on the Infinity
grip to control the Airflow Performance (API) aux fuel pump.
The literature on the pump says the current draw is 5 amps at 12 volts
and should be protected with a 10 amp c/b.
API engineering thinks the switch in the grip may not be able to handle
the inrush current on the pump when actitivated and thinks I should use
a relay which I'd rather not do.
J.D at Infinity Aerospace thinks a zener diode will solve this problem
and suggested I check with you for your opinion and a possible circuit.

Since this combination of grip and pump has been used in a lot of RVs, I
thought that, if this was a problem, it would have been solved by
someone already.

Mauri Morin

Quote:

ist" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
ttp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Eric M. Jones

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: stick grips Reply with quote

Just a note: I saw a stick grip used for custom cars that had four buttons in the gear shift knob (and probably a battery) that were RF connected to a remote little switch box. (This might have controlled relays). The idea was to turn on/off NOX or lights or whatever. Cars usually don't have hollow stick shifters, so this is an advantage.

I can imagine this might find some use in somebody's aircraft, especially ultralights.

Southbridge, MA 01550
(508) 764-2072
emjones(at)charter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: