Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prop clearance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtaylor35918(at)roadrunne

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Prop clearance Reply with quote

All,
I have recently purchased a used kolb firestar single place and was wondering what the clearance should be between the prop and the tail boom, it has a 377 with a 66" 32 prop. Any info would be appreciated thanks
Greg
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: Prop clearance Reply with quote

Greg- I have an original Firestar with a 447 and a 66" warp Drive two blade prop. The tip to boom clearance is just about one inch. There is no prop extension.

Bill Sullivan
      Windsor Locks, Ct.
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Ralph B

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Prop clearance Reply with quote

Quote:
All, I have recently purchased a used kolb firestar single place and was wondering what the clearance should be between the prop and the tail boom, it has a 377 with a 66" 32 prop. Any info would be appreciated thanks
Greg

Greg, the prop clearance is an inch with a 66" prop. The 32 pitch may be a little too much for a Rotax 377. I had a 28 pitch on mine when I had the wooden prop. I would suggest you tie the tail down with an auto tow rope and run it up to see if you can achieve full power over 6000 RPM. If you can't, then don't attempt to fly it until you get a lower pitch prop.

Ralph

Kolb Kolbra 912uls
N20386
550 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Prop clearance Reply with quote

Bill,
Thanks for the info, thats about what the clearance is on mine with a 66X32.
Greg
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Prop clearance Reply with quote

Ralph,
Thanks for the info, and I was planning on doing the engine run up that
you referred to to verify that the engine is i good standing. I am a private
pilot with about 250 hrs and an IFR rating but I can see that I will have a
lot to learn with this Kolb, but it looks like it will be a blast. By the
way can you tell me if there is a good place to get a good prop at a
reaonable price?

Greg
---

Ralph B

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Prop clearance Reply with quote

Greg, you can find used props within your local club and on the web. Just check around. The best prop for that 377 would be a 2-blade Ivo prop as it's ground adjustable. I gave one away that I had on my Firestar for about 20 years. It was still like new. I bought a new one with my new 447. If you have the 5-rib Original Firestar, you can use the prop without a spacer.

Ralph

Kolb Kolbra 912uls
N20386
550 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Prop clearance Reply with quote

Thanks Ralph,
I will have to check around for a ultralight club here in southern
Ohio.
Greg
by the way I have a five rib with a canister brs any ideas on stall
speed, empty weight,etc. I know that all aircraft are different but like in
type should be similar.

---

Jason Omelchuck

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Prop clearance Reply with quote

Hello Greg,

I would recommend that you get some dual in a ultralight style aircraft before you fly the Kolb. That 250 hours in a GA airplane will have trained your muscles in habits that will cause you problems landing a Kolb. If you choose not to get training, I would suggest your first few landings you do with lots of power and then back off the power as you gain experience. When I say lots of power, I mean 2/3 throttle all the way down approach until you touch down. It may lengthen your ground roll to 700' on pavement Smile

Be safe
Jason
Kolb MKIII Yamaha Powered
Portland, OR
gtaylor35918(at)roadrunne wrote:
Ralph,
Thanks for the info, and I was planning on doing the engine run up that
you referred to to verify that the engine is i good standing. I am a private
pilot with about 250 hrs and an IFR rating but I can see that I will have a
lot to learn with this Kolb, but it looks like it will be a blast. By the
way can you tell me if there is a good place to get a good prop at a
reaonable price?

Greg
---

Ralph B

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Prop clearance Reply with quote

Greg, Jason's comments are right on. You should get some dual in a light aircraft before flying the Kolb. Your first landings should be with power on at about 4000 RPM with the 377. Most ultralight-like aircraft are so light, they tend to lose speed fast. The Firestar stall speed is about 25 mph and cruises at 60 mph, 5800 RPM with the 377. GA pilots that transition to a Kolb w/o any training usually tend to flare early on landing and bend the aluminum landing gear. This is very common and it doesn't need to happen. There isn't much of a flare with the lighter Kolbs. Heavier ones will have more of a flare such as my Kolbra.

Have fun and be safe ...

Ralph

Kolb Kolbra 912uls
N20386
550 hours
Mystic

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Prop clearance Reply with quote

Greg, I have a Firestar 1 powered by a 447. It came with a 66" Culver wood prop. My FS wouldn't achieve full power when I was climbing out. Only about 58-5900rpm. So when I sent it to Culver to have it balanced and refinished, I had them take 4 degrees of pitch out of it. It was 32, and they turned it down to 28 degrees. When I got it back I was really happy with the climb performance (6500rpm), but wasn't expecting to give up so much cruise speed. (about 8 - 10 mph)
I called Gene to whine about it, and he sold me a used 30 degree prop that is just about right. I figured I'd keep my "climb" prop for days when I was just messing around the patch.
Thing is, now that I've got a couple hundred hours under my belt, most of my flying nowadays is cross country (not John H XC, but going somwhere). I just don't spend much time around the patch anymore, and I really miss that 32 degree prop.
If you think it might suit you, I have a 28 degree 66" Culver prop with maybe 4 hrs on it since is was serviced by Valley Eng. that I'd like to swap out for your 32 degree prop.

John Tempest
Firestar 1
447 Culver Woody

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: