Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cuyuna engine failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark.shimei(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Cuyuna engine failure Reply with quote

Im hoping John H will chime in with a LOT of info,and whoever else has had a Cuyuna.

I was flying along,4600rpm,1150EGT,260CHT, 74degree at 1500'.....when it happened........I have 80+ hours with no problems over the last 15 months.

Got a slow power reduction,EGT dropped,CHT went down to 200. Engine went to idle but never quit,landed at airport. Was barely able to taxi back to hangar.Checked for ice and fuel blockage...none.

Plugs were tan,both almost the same .Pulled carb off,didnt find anything.

Ran it up on ground to 6000,seemed to run fine.

Flew it a day later,only got 5500 instead of the usual 6000 at take off,front cylinder ran 70deg hotter than the rear(they normally run 20-30 difference max at takeoff),EGT was normal.Landed Ok,now what??

I know there is a few out there that know ins and outs on keeping this engine running for MANY hours.

Im up for ANY type of info/theories

Mark in Florida

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Cuyuna engine failure Reply with quote

Im hoping John H will chime in with a LOT of info,and whoever else has had a Cuyuna.

I was flying along,4600rpm,1150EGT,260CHT, 74degree at 1500'.....when it happened........I have 80+ hours with no problems over the last 15 months.

Got a slow power reduction,EGT dropped,CHT went down to 200. Engine went to idle but never quit,landed at airport. Was barely able to taxi back to hangar.Checked for ice and fuel blockage...none.

Plugs were tan,both almost the same .Pulled carb off,didnt find anything.

Ran it up on ground to 6000,seemed to run fine.

Flew it a day later,only got 5500 instead of the usual 6000 at take off,front cylinder ran 70deg hotter than the rear(they normally run 20-30 difference max at takeoff),EGT was normal.Landed Ok,now what??

I know there is a few out there that know ins and outs on keeping this engine running for MANY hours.

Im up for ANY type of info/theories

Mark in Florida
Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

How long after shutoff did you check for carb ice. If it were more than a couple minuets. It may have already melted.

Not sure why lower rpm in next takeoff, you said egt temps was normal on landing were rpm’s ok ????

Had you drained float bowls before next takeoff?

You said the temp was 74 deg f and humidity????

You said front was 70 deg hotter than rear. Was the front 70 deg hotter than normal??? or was the rear 70 deg colder than normal???

Boyd Young
MMIII
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rlaird

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Cuyuna engine failure Reply with quote

I had similar symptoms with a Rotax 447... After suffering with it for a few
weeks, decided it was a fuel delivery problem (even though all other tests,
as yours, looked okay). Once I simplified and replaced my fuel lines, the
problem went away. I also got rid of anything with check valves in it
(except for the Facet).

-- Robert

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 12:22 PM, b young <by0ung(at)brigham.net> wrote:

[quote] Im hoping John H will chime in with a LOT of info,and whoever else has
had a Cuyuna.

I was flying along,4600rpm,1150EGT,260CHT, 74degree at 1500'.....when it
happened........I have 80+ hours with no problems over the last 15 months

current: Autogyro Cavalon w/ 914ULS
Houston, TX area
http://www.Texas-Flyer.com
John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Cuyuna engine failure Reply with quote

Mark/Gang:

If it was me, I'd pull the engine down and insure the rings are not stuck or trying to stick, and/or a piston was not scored or scuffed.

Two strokes are experts at suckering us into believing they are healthy, just prior to seizure. I have been suckered several times over the years.

There are many other things that could be your engines problems.

john h
[quote] ---

Titus, Alabama
lhaggerty(at)tampabay.rr.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Cuyuna engine failure Reply with quote

Fuel pump rebuild kit is a goo idea. Pete
[quote] ---

The BaronVonEvil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Cuyuna engine failure Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

The first thing I would check is the compression of each cylinder. They should be pretty close to the same amount, within 5 to 10 psi of each other. Should the values be beyond those then there is a possibility of a scored cylinder or stuck or broken rings.

The rings can be checked by removing the exhaust to expose the pistons and you can carefully prod/poke each ring with a popsicle stick to check that they are floating and not stuck. The exhaust side of the rings are the most vulnerable due to the heat they are exposed to.

If your engine is okay then you start check for fuel issues and or air leaks/ fuel leaks that could restrict power output.

Good luck with your engine and please tell us what you found/ and the solution(s) to your engine problem.

Best Regards,
Carlos G
AKA
BaronVonEvil.
[quote] ---

lcottrell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Cuyuna engine failure Reply with quote

I had some of the same problem and found that it was a brand new squeeze bulb. It would run up on the ground, but pooped out under load.
Larry

Note: If you forward this email, please delete the forwarding history, which includes my email address.
[quote] ---

Mrikio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuyuna engine failure Reply with quote

I forgot to add the following:

I pulled the exhaust,pushed on the rings,everything was the same as it was 50 hours ago.Stuck a light in the cylinder,looks great,no scoring or hot spots

Fuel bulb is next,along with compression(how much?)

My cylinder base gasket has been leaking a little,takes a few hours to get some residue around the flange. Dont think it is an issue,hasnt worsened in 30+hours

It starts with 1-2 pulls,just using the lever choke.That hasn't changed either.

Phantom, Kaw 440 250hrs
SE-5A UL 3 hrs
Eipper Quick, Chrysler power Bee 8hrs
PA28-140...350hrs
Dana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Cuyuna engine failure Reply with quote

At 12:11 AM 6/2/2010, Mrikio wrote:

Quote:
My cylinder base gasket has been leaking a little,takes a few hours to get some residue around the flange. Dont think it is an issue,hasnt worsened in 30+hours

That's a big no-no. ANY air leak in a 2-stroke engine is bad news! That would explain the hot cylinder, and in the worse case could cause a seizure. Cuyuna base bolts tend to loosen, and unfortunately the Kolb mount design makes it impossible to get at them. You need to remove the engine mount bolt (I use straps to keep it more or less in place) and retorque the cylinder base bolts.

The power loss may be a different issue, though. It sounds like carb ice, and has happened to me, too, but on another occasion I experienced a similar power loss but quicker. I never was 100% certain, but I believe it was the carb float needle, allowing the engine to flood (I had also noticed some fuel on the floor of my trailer under the engine, but dismissed it).

-Dana
--
[quote][b]

Mrikio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cuyuna engine failure Reply with quote

OK........ Think its solved

To answer a previous post the cyl temps were 60-70 deg higher than normal,but not over the limit.I reduced throttle when I heard a power reduction and that dropped the temps more.I know from experience,when an engine stops,or wants to,full throttle will often kill it . A little power has helped me to find a better place to land 3 times so far.

Fuel system checked out fine,from tank pickup to the carb. My system is probably the simplest out there..worked flawlessly on my phantom for 7yrs,200+hrs.

A friend was helping me pull it down the other day,he said he checked the bottom of the bowl....I decided to check it again. Scraped the bottom of the cap that screws on the bottom of the bowl.....HHHUUMMM found a piece of dead grass 1/4" long and about .020 in diameter.

It was curved on the inside edge of the cap,and the same color. I can see why it was missed,when it dislodged,I thought the cap was flaking aluminum. It was hidden VERY well,but this time I dried the bowl out.
I suspect carb ice also,and now that I remember,I reduced the throttle as soon as there was a problem,then tried to advance it to see if it was just loaded up.

Flew it again today(TUES) for 30 min....same normal temps.At cruise,CHTs were 260 .255 EGT was about 1200 or so.

The fix?? the grass must have come up the vent tubes,so I will put a screen over them.(I fly out of grass,some of it gets a little high.)

Also checked the torque on the cyl bolts...they are good.

I thought John H would have a list of things for me to check,since he has a lot of time on them.

Thanks to the list members who helped.....flying again,still working on the GENERAC conversion....

Phantom, Kaw 440 250hrs
SE-5A UL 3 hrs
PA28-140...350hrs
John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Cuyuna engine failure Reply with quote

> I thought John H would have a list of things for me to check,since he has
a lot of time on them.
Quote:

Thanks to the list members who helped.....flying again,still working on
the GENERAC conversion....

--------
Mark R

Mark R/Gang:

Sorry to have disappointed you, although I did respond with what I would
have done if it was my problem.

Actually, the way I solved all my two stroke problems was to buy my first
912UL in 1994.

To make the attached photos Kolb related, this is what the average Kolb
builder/pilot looks like.

john h - 3 weeks into rehab

DSC_0003_resize.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  132.03 KB
 Viewed:  9342 Time(s)

DSC_0003_resize.JPG

DSC_0001_resize.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.93 KB
 Viewed:  9342 Time(s)

DSC_0001_resize.JPG

Titus, Alabama
Mrikio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Cuyuna engine failure Reply with quote

THAT LOOKS PAINFUL!!! Sad Sad Sad Sad

GET WELL Very Happy Very Happy

The 912 would be a little much for the Ultrastar Shocked

Thats why Im working on the Generac....

Phantom, Kaw 440 250hrs
SE-5A UL 3 hrs
PA28-140...350hrs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: