Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

582 Sleeves

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jareds(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: 582 Sleeves Reply with quote

Finally took the time to dig further into engine and it looks like the
rear cylinder and piston have transfer pretty bad. The engine only has
86 hours on its rebuild and my alarms for overheating are strict for
both cyl heads and EGT temps.
I'm guessing thats why it seized on three occasions on takeoff.

Can a guy just replace sleeves or even get sleeeves for a 582 or just
repair the rear cylinder or just the top end or what are the options.
I see LEAF has entire cylinders at a bargain 1200 each and pistons 222

Any of you experience this dilema or hear of options?

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
brubakermal(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: 582 Sleeves Reply with quote

you should probably scrap the hole thing maybe short block it . I wouldn't try to piece it back together for you even if you payed me
and motor repair is my job.

Malcolm Brubaker
Michigan Sport
Pilot Repair
LSRM-A, PPC, WS
(989)513-3022

To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Tue, June 1, 2010 8:36:41 AM
Subject: 582 Sleeves

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: jareds <jareds(at)verizon.net (jareds(at)verizon.net)>

Finally took the time to dig further into engine and it looks like the rear cylinder and piston have transfer pretty bad. The engine only has 86 hours on its rebuild and my alarms for overheating are strict for both cyl heads and EGT temps.
I'm guessing thats why it seized on three occasions on takeoff.

Can a guy just replace sleeves or even get sleeeves for a 582 or just repair the rear cylinder or just the top end or what are the options.
I see LEAF has entire cylinders at a bargain 1200 each and pistons 222

An- List ====

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

akflyer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 582 Sleeves Reply with quote

so what is wrong with sleeving a cylinder? they have sleeves in them from the factory. Sleeves are replaced all the time in many engines. Why would someone want to spend the money to get a short block when a simple sleeve job would make the cylinder good as new?

Avid "C" / Mk IV
582 (147 hrs and counting on the rebuild)
IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1450
#1 snake oil salesman since 1-22-2009

I would rather die trying to live, than to live trying not to die....
Av8r3400

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 582 Sleeves Reply with quote

If it's a replaceable sleeve, no worries. I don't know that a sleeve in a 582 is a replaceable component, I thought they were cast into the block...

That ain't no Detroit, Leni! Wink

Kitfox Model IV-1200 W/912UL & IVO
Kitfox Model IV-1050 W/912UL & Warp
YouTube Videos
Mnflyer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 582 Sleeves Reply with quote

Sleeving the cylinder would not be a problem as long as a sleeve could be purchased, that maybe the problem, Rotax may not make them available. I know the the 503 snowmobile engine were resleeved all the time in the past with excellent results

akflyer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 582 Sleeves Reply with quote

yes they can be sleeved. It is not rocket science to re-sleeve and most repair centers should be able to do it for you. I know CPS does it.

Avid "C" / Mk IV
582 (147 hrs and counting on the rebuild)
IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1450
#1 snake oil salesman since 1-22-2009

I would rather die trying to live, than to live trying not to die....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: