Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IO240

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim.gilliatt(at)att.net

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: IO240 Reply with quote

I started my engine for the first time today; what a thrill. I have
been building for some time, and many gave up on me, but I persisted,
and am close to flying. Today's event, however, was somewhat dampened
by the fact that I couldn't keep it going. It has been sitting for
several years, so the factory gave me some things to do to overcome that
delay. Is there anyone out there in 240 land that can give me some
tips? The battery is way down, and I am charging it as we speak. I
will also contact the factory to see if they have any suggestions.
Thanks,
Jim Gilliatt S7 jim.gilliatt(at)att.net

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
n981ms(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: IO240 Reply with quote

Mine had a problem with the fuel "spider" on intitial start. Diaphragm was stuck I think. Mine had been sitting for about 5 or 6 years. Had to get it fixed before mine would even start. Also there was a service bulletin or AD on the spring in the in the spider around 3 years ago. Changed to a lighter spring thus allowing better fuel flow. Also I changed the Facet electric fuel pump to one that will run the engine in case of engine driven pump failure. The more powerful pump causes my IO240 to stumble at idle. I think it would shut it down but I have not let it go that far. I only use it for priming to start.
Good luck with it you are getting closer. Keep us posted. Where are you located?

Maxwell Duke
Kitfox S6/TD/IO240
1996 Maule M7 235C Sold
RV-10 IO-540
Dublin, GA
To: Kitfox-List Digest Server <kitfox-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Mon, June 7, 2010 9:51:54 PM
Subject: IO240

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: Jim Gilliatt <jim.gilliatt(at)att.net (jim.gilliatt(at)att.net)>

I started my engine for the first time today; what a thrill. I have been building for some time, and many gave up on me, but I persisted, and am close to flying. Today's event, however, was somewhat dampened by the fact that I couldn't keep it going. It has been sitting for several years, so the factory gave me some things to do to overcome that delay. Is there anyone out there in 240 land that can give me some tips? The battery is way down, and I am charging it as we speak. I will also contact the factory to see if they have any suggestions.
Thanks,
Jim Gilliatt S7

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ruebd(at)skymail.csus.edu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: IO240 Reply with quote

Jim:

The 240 is subject to fuel delivery criticality. Do you have an electric fuel pump for priming the system for the start sequence? You need this in order to start a fuel injected engine. If you have a fuel pressure gage, monitor it in the pre-start sequence and you should see something like 14 psi after it has run for approx 25 seconds. If it starts and dies right away, then give the pump another short hit 3-5 seconds and try again. Of course, you will have the mixture full rich when doing this.
You probably have a wood prop ? They are nice and light in weight, and this reduces the flywheel effect, so it makes your engine more difficult to start and idle smoothly at the spec rate of 750rpm.
If you have not done so yet, do the AD notes that change the fuel distributor regulator spring, drill the bleed hole in the throttle plate, and this will help with the idle dying on rollout tendency. Of course the idle mixture setting can only be done by trial and error, due to where it is.
Learn how to lean the engine in taxi (when warm) and during normal cruise and you will enjoy very good fuel economy as well as great performance. This engine is a jewel.
When you can, give us some pix of your aircraft.

Duane Rueb N24ZM

--

FlyboyTR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: IO240 Reply with quote

Jim,
Great advise given so far! Fuel pressure setting are critical for this engine. I check and adjust mine twice a year. If it is a pound or two off at idle speed...it will idle rough, die, cough, etc. What prop do you have?

I love my 240 with the exception of the alternator drive coupling and hot starts (typical with most fuel injected engines).

Travis Very Happy

Continental IO-240, Prince P-Tip Prop
ADI-II Autopilot
AnyWhereMap Navigation with weather
www.enotam.net (My Flying Info Website)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: