Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

flap info for MK lll needed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arksey(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: flap info for MK lll needed Reply with quote

Hi group,
my neighbor purchased a used MK lll after watching me flying around in the firestar enjoying life. I told him he could use my strip and I would get him lined up with a instructer to get his license. I did not use the flaps on the trip as I did know the proper use of them....I was very impressed with the plane and the performace that the rotax 912 80 hp provides. after getting home I went up solo and tried the flaps at low speed and I was impressed at full flaps how the plane handled and it decreased stall speed...so I landed it with full flaps which i thought was a big plus....my question is this. what is the proper use of flaps for take off if any? I think the MK lll performs excellent with the 912 80 hp solo.  I also noticed a lot of difference in trim requiement from dual to solo....another question: at high speed the door lexan pops inward and has to be pushed back out my hand after landing...have any of you had this problem and what is the fix? Thanks in advance Jim Swan

Do not archive
FIRESTAR ll 503 Michigan jswan
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: flap info for MK lll needed Reply with quote

Jswan

Never had the oil can door problem… I suspect that the lexan was pulled too tight from top to bottom when it was installed. When visiting in Washington state I saw a mkIII that had an extra brace welded from the top and bottom of door panel to hold the lexan in the proper curve.

In flying the mkIII with flaps: I have tried takeoffs with 0 20 40 deg flaps. The shortest takeoff is with 20 deg. 0 and 40 deg takeoff were almost the same. I almost always land with 20 deg but have practiced with 0 and 40 deg as well. 20 seems right, but I can make a steeper approach with 40,, if I were to turn base leg too soon on a short runway. On my flap handle and the squared off detents I cut them with a /\ (inverted V) rather than leaving the edges square. This way it will not be prone to coming out. Thinking that if I were ever to rebuilt this area,,, I may add positions for 0 10 20 30 40 deg of flaps.. by cutting the squared off detents more like the trim handle. Which I modified the slots to look more like a saw tooth blade. Rather than the strait in saw cuts.

Boyd Young
MKIII

Hi group,
my neighbor purchased a used MK lll after watching me flying around in the firestar enjoying life. I told him he could use my strip and I would get him lined up with a instructer to get his license. I did not use the flaps on the trip as I did know the proper use of them....I was very impressed with the plane and the performace that the rotax 912 80 hp provides. after getting home I went up solo and tried the flaps at low speed and I was impressed at full flaps how the plane handled and it decreased stall speed...so I landed it with full flaps which i thought was a big plus....my question is this. what is the proper use of flaps for take off if any? I think the MK lll performs excellent with the 912 80 hp solo. I also noticed a lot of difference in trim requiement from dual to solo....another question: at high speed the door lexan pops inward and has to be pushed back out my hand after landing...have any of you had this problem and what is the fix? Thanks in advance Jim Swan

Do not archive
Quote:

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: flap info for MK lll needed Reply with quote

Hi Jim:

In my opinion, having flown my mkIII over 1200.0 hours powered with a 912 80 hp, that is the best overall combo for the mkIII, unless you are going to be flying in higher elevations a lot.

At normal cruise the 80 burns 4.0 gph, 100 burns 5.0. Spark plugs last twice as long, 200 over 100 hours, and it operates on 87 octane mogas.

Jim, this is the way I fly my mkIII:

Normally, never use flaps for takeoff, and especially climb. Flaps degrade climb performance on the mkIII.

Rough, muddy, soft sand, tall grass and weeds, I use 20 degrees (half flaps). Soon as wheels break ground, I slowly remove flaps.

A method that works well for me to break ground quickly is:

Start my takeoff roll clean.

At 30 mph (where my mkIII stalls in ground effect w/full flaps) I snatch in 40 degrees (full flaps). She hops off the ground immediately. Slowly remove flaps soon as wheels are in clear air.

Lots of difference in pitch trim between solo and two up. That is normal.

Door glass pops in:

Lexan wasn't riveted on the door frame satisfactorily.

Not enough curvature in window.

Door doesn't fit fuselage well.

I don't know. Wink

Flaps work extremely well during approach and landing.

Lose a lot of altitude quick while maintaining lower air speeds.

Use a good light control touch.

CAUTION:

-Full flaps at high speeds with abrupt aft stick will partially blank out out elevator.

-Landing flare, two up, full flaps, too slow, too abrupt, may result in running out of elevator during full stall 3 point landings.

Worth what you paid for it.

john h
mkIII

[quote] ---

Titus, Alabama
John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: flap info for MK lll needed Reply with quote

Boyd:

I use a 5/32" chain saw file to keep my detents nice and sharp.

I also popped a new tab over the old detents to reset the detents to their original positions.

Time and use will round the edges. Nothing worse than being on short short final and the flap handle pop out from 40 to zero degrees flaps. The bottom falls out and it makes a Hell of a noise at the same time.

john h
mkIII
[quote] On my flap handle and the squared off detents I cut them with a /\ (inverted V) rather than leaving the edges square. This way it will not be prone to coming out. Thinking that if I were ever to rebuilt this area,,, I may add positions for 0 10 20 30 40 deg of flaps.. by cutting the squared off detents more like the trim handle. Which I modified the slots to look more like a saw tooth blade. Rather than the strait in saw cuts.

Boyd Young
MKIII

[b]

Titus, Alabama
Jason Omelchuck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: flap info for MK lll needed Reply with quote

Hello Jim,

I use the first flap detent for landing, I have found that the second detent does not lower stall, it only causes drag and not enough drag does not seem to be a problem with my MKIII. My right door will pop in at high speed, I have not come up with a fix but was thinking of making a bow that fits inside the door frame that backs up the lexan in that area. My short term fix is to not fly at high speeds. With no fine pitch trim adjustment, I have found that you can get close with the pitch trim lever and fine tune with throttle as the higher the power the more nose down my MKIII wants to fly. I was just messing around with flaps on take off today and think that they would only be useful when really trying to get off of a short/soft surface and then be retracted ASAP when airborne.

Good luck and have fun
Jason
MKIII
Portland, OR

[quote="Arksey(at)aol.com"]Hi group,
my neighbor purchased a used MK lll after watching me flying around in the firestar enjoying life. I told him he could use my strip and I would get him lined up with a instructer to get his license. I did not use the flaps on the trip as I did know the proper use of them....I was very impressed with the plane and the performace that the rotax 912 80 hp provides. after getting home I went up solo and tried the flaps at low speed and I was impressed at full flaps how the plane handled and it decreased stall speed...so I landed it with full flaps which i thought was a big plus....my question is this. what is the proper use of flaps for take off if any? I think the MK lll performs excellent with the 912 80 hp solo.� I also noticed a lot of difference in trim requiement from dual to solo....another question: at high speed the door lexan pops inward and has to be pushed back out my hand after landing...have any of you had this problem and what is the fix? Thanks in advance Jim Swan

Do not archive
Quote:
[b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: flap info for MK lll needed Reply with quote

My right door will pop in at high speed,

Quote:
Jason

Jason:

Maybe you and Jim S are flying out of yaw trim.

If the door glass that is dimpling is on the up wind side, it may be causing
the problem.

Wish I could do a quick test flight to see if I could dimple my door.

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: flap info for MK lll needed Reply with quote

John

you popped a new tab to reset the detents to the original positions,,,,,,,,
what positions were they before resetting?? Had they moved due to filing or had you made some custom flap settings??

Boyd

Boyd:

I use a 5/32" chain saw file to keep my detents nice and sharp.

I also popped a new tab over the old detents to reset the detents to their original positions.

Time and use will round the edges. Nothing worse than being on short short final and the flap handle pop out from 40 to zero degrees flaps. The bottom falls out and it makes a Hell of a noise at the same time.

john h
mkIII

[quote][b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: flap info for MK lll needed Reply with quote

Boyd:

New tab to return to original positions.

john h
mkIII
[quote] ---

Titus, Alabama
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: flap info for MK lll needed Reply with quote

[quote="John Hauck"]Hi Jim:
<snip>
-Landing flare, two up, full flaps, too slow, too abrupt, may result in running out of elevator during full stall 3 point landings.

Worth what you paid for it.

john h
mkIII

Quote:
---

I used some heavy clear tape to seal the gap between the elevator and stabilizer, and no longer run out of elevator in that situation. Also have put vg's on the underside of the forward part of the horizontal stab, but I would try the tape first, the vg's may not be necessary for this application. Or maybe they would ~ since I installed both at once, there is no way of knowing which ones actually did the fix -

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

neilsenrm(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: flap info for MK lll needed Reply with quote

Jim

You have been busy. Send photos of the plane. You be careful you might just end up with a second airplane or selling that firestar. You should also have some hanger space.

I rarely use full flaps but they are really nice if you need to lose altitude. Full flaps produce so much drag that they increase the deceleration of the plane on round out so much that you can easily end up below stall speed while still airborne.

I use one notch of flaps to get off the ground with standard length gear legs of my MKIIIC to get off the ground quickly then retract them right after take off.

I have found that my plane flies the same with one notch of flap with some power on landing as no power (engine failure) and no flaps.

I got my check ride with a GA instructor yesterday in my MKIIIC. He said I should warn GA trained passengers before landing. I guess I scared him with my high angle of decent and low round out. I did some of my best landings ever in spite of 430 lbs. of human cargo. After a half an hour in the air he said he had seen enough and was ready to sign my log book.   

Rick Neilsen
1st Redrive VW Powered MKIIIC

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 2:03 PM, <Arksey(at)aol.com (Arksey(at)aol.com)> wrote:
[quote] Hi group,
    my neighbor purchased a used MK lll after watching me flying around in the firestar enjoying life. I told him he could use my strip and I would get him lined up with a instructer to get his license. I did not use the flaps on the trip as I did know the proper use of them....I was very impressed with the plane and the performace that the rotax 912 80 hp provides. after getting home I went up solo and tried the flaps at low speed and I was impressed at full flaps how the plane handled and it decreased stall speed...so I landed it with full flaps which i thought was a big plus....my question is this. what is the proper use of flaps for take off if any? I think the MK lll performs excellent with the 912 80 hp solo.  I also noticed a lot of difference in trim requiement from dual to solo....another question: at high speed the door lexan pops inward and has to be pushed back out my hand after landing...have any of you had this problem and what is the fix?  Thanks in advance    Jim Swan

Do not archive
Quote:

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
ttp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: flap info for MK lll needed Reply with quote

GA pilots do not know what flying is all about.

I think helicopter pilots make good Kolb pilots because the sight picture for approach and landing is very similar. The big windscreen is also similar to the excellent visibility of helicopters.

When I was hauling passengers, I tried to remember to warn them of the steep approach. Dennis Souder scared me on my first mkIII flight, when he let the bottom fall out, and landed next to Homer's hanger on the taxiway.

john h
mkIII
[quote] ---

Titus, Alabama
gtaylor35918(at)roadrunne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: flap info for MK lll needed Reply with quote

I have to say that I am a GA pilot and I do know what flying is all about, I haven't got to fly in my Kolb yet, but I have made quite a few steep approaches with full flaps in a 172. Its all about airspeed.
[quote] ---

John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: flap info for MK lll needed Reply with quote

Greg:

That is what I said.

Your steep, full flap 172 approach is more like a normal mkIII approach, clean.

My favorite landing at Lakeland, with passenger, was start the approach at 300 feet AGL, over the threshold, 40 mph, with full flaps, push the nose over to 60 mph or a little less, nudge of a flare, and touch down turn off in front of the tower landing to the east. With a 10 to 15 mph headwind, it was near vertical.

Easy to get 2,000 fpm rate of decent and 40 mph full flaps.

This is a tremendous safety factor, giving the proficient mkIII pilot the ability to get into tiny forced landing area at slow speeds and very short ground roll.

john h
mkIII
[quote] ---

Titus, Alabama
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: flap info for MK lll needed Reply with quote

[quote="gtaylor35918(at)roadrunne"]I have to say that I am a GA pilot and I do know what flying is all about, I haven't got to fly in my Kolb yet, but I have made quite a few steep approaches with full flaps in a 172. Its all about airspeed.
Quote:
---

Yep. And how wonderfully quickly it goes away when you flare a MKIII, power off, with full flaps. You better be ready to touch down, because it won't be anything like what happens in a C172...

For those occasions when you forget this little item of trivia, the following is handy for restoring aluminum gear legs to a modicum of straightness... And yes, I do own one... <grin>
http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/pipe-benders/12-ton-hydraulic-pipe-bender-32888.html

Jason Omelchuck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: flap info for MK lll needed Reply with quote

Hello John,

I use a yaw string and the door will pop in at high speed even when it is on the down wind side of a yaw. I have tested it after I discovered that it will dimple in. It is on the list of things to deal with this winter.

Jason
MKIII
Portland, OR

John Hauck wrote:
My right door will pop in at high speed,

Quote:
Jason

Jason:

Maybe you and Jim S are flying out of yaw trim.

If the door glass that is dimpling is on the up wind side, it may be causing
the problem.

Wish I could do a quick test flight to see if I could dimple my door.

john h
mkIII

John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: flap info for MK lll needed Reply with quote

Quote:
I use a yaw string and the door will pop in at high speed even when it is
on the down wind side of a yaw. I have tested it after I discovered that
it will dimple in. It is on the list of things to deal with this winter.

Jason

Jason,

Must be screwed up. Wink

Maybe flatter than normal bend,

Mine won't dimple. Don't know why. Too much hot air inside cockpit?

I'm shutting down and going to bed.

Good night all,

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: flap info for MK lll needed Reply with quote

Speaking of Full FLaps.....

As I was returning to my home airport after my flight Monday morning, the prevailing winds at pattern altitude were favoring my planned use of runway 6. Since I was approaching from the SE I flew the cross wind leg a little off the departure end of rwy 6 with the intention of turning to left downwind for rwy 6. Once I got close enough to see the windsock hanging straight down, I decided I might as well land on 24 since its threshold was just to my left about 100 yards and 800 feet below me. I turned final pulled on full flaps (first time ever on landing) and pushed the nose down to Vfe (top of white arc) which is 70 mph in the Slingshot.

That was a fun and fast descent with plenty of energy left over for flare and the touchdown was nice and easy. I've flown only two other airplanes that can do this maneuver reliably and with confidence at such a steep descent rate. A Zenith CH-701 and a short wing (20') Titan Tornado. One has full length flaperons like the Slingshot and the other huge barn-door flaps that extend to 40 degrees, like the MkIII. I really really really like my Slingshot but Kolbs are not the only airplanes in which this sort of steep approach can be made, but doing them gracefully is an acquired skill. I've only got about 32 hours time in my Slingshot since I bought it last August so I'm still learning its tricks.

That said, I normally don't use any flap(eron) at all during take-off nor landing, but it is very nice to have this capability when it is needed or desired.

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
John Bickham

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: flap info for MK lll needed Reply with quote

Hey Mr Jim,

Just want to second what John H and Preacher Pike said.

You may have seen a few videos of my little Nauga strip.

Just in case:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szp1waiP4a0

That little strip has taught me a lot about flying my Kolb that I would have never learned otherwise. One of my challenges was to try to land as short as possible. On-going challenge with John H.

I was making full-flap, power off, super steep approaches. Like John H said, realized I was loosing elevator authority in the rather abrupt flare. Kinda like a bird landing on a wire and missing the wire. Sometimes results were amazingly short landing rolls. If everything not just perfect in a span of a few seconds, spent a little time wandering up and down. Time you don't have as the energy bleeds off so very quickly. What Preacher Pike is referring to.

For me, I'm getting the best results (shortest landing) with full flaps and just a hint of power for elevator authority in the middle of the flare.

Got to be careful when no power available and squeezing it in a tight spot. Been there, done that, bent the plane!

What the temp there? Heat index 105 here today. I may come visit.

John Bickham
Mark III-C w/ 912UL
St. Francisville, LA

I know many pilots and a few true aviators. There is a distinct difference that I have the greatest respect for.
zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:43 am    Post subject: flap info for MK lll needed Reply with quote

Greg,
A lot of us on the list come from GA background,and I believe most of us would agree that our experience in heavier aircraft did not prepare us adequately for the performance of high drag,low inertia, light sport aircraft.The list is a good source of info.
G.Aman

--

slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: flap info for MK lll needed Reply with quote

As another Kolber converted from GA, I had the list to thank for my zero damage first landing in my MkIII.BB
do not archive

On 9, Jun 2010, at 9:42 AM, zeprep251(at)aol.com (zeprep251(at)aol.com) wrote:
[quote]Greg,
A lot of us on the list come from GA background,and I believe most of us would agree that our experience in heavier aircraft did not prepare us adequately for the performance of high drag,low inertia, light sport aircraft.The list is a good source of info.
G.Aman

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: