Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aileron balance install

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Juhl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Aileron balance install Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to install the aileron balance in my right aileron. Looking at the LAA drawings provided by Zenith for the upgrade I see that they set the ribs that support the square tube used as a balance arm parallel to the other ribs in the aileron. This would result in the tube not being at a right angle to the rear spar. In my view, this would result in requiring a wider hole in the spar to accommodate the lateral movement of the tube when the aileron is deflected. I also believe there was an earlier discussion of the need to bend the tube inwards to clear the wingtip rivet line.
I wonder how others have dealt with this issue. I'm considering:
1.) installing the ribs supporting the tube so as to place the tube at a right angle to the spar, &
2.) Moving the tube inwards slightly to assure clearance from structures in the wing.

I'd appreciate your comments before I start cutting Smile

Tim Juhl

- The Matronics Zenith601-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith601-List

Zodiac XL - Jabiru 3300A
Almost done! It'll fly in spring!
psm(at)att.net

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Aileron balance install Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

On mine, I installed the balance rod perpendicular to the MAIN spar. That
means an angle (not perpendicular) to the rear spar and aileron hinge. I
don't know what all the issues are for this problem. One seems to be how
the weights move between the rear rib and wing tip as well as the two wing
skins.

Good luck,

Paul
XL - slowly installing upgrade - currently fighting removing large spar
rivets.
--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mhubel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Aileron balance install Reply with quote

Tim,
I did two things. First I did not keep the arms parallel to the
ribs. I shifted them just enough so they would be far enough away from
the other structures so no interference was possible (including the
metal plates). I allowed about 1 inch from the end of the tube to any
other part.
Secondly, I filled about 7 inches of the end of the square tube
with lead. It melts at about 600-700F and alumimum is melts at around
1200F so as long as one keeps the lead at just above the melting point
it works. I stuffed and tamped aluminim foil into the tube to act as a
plug to define the area to be filled. A heat gun was used to pre-heat
the tube a bit so the lead would flow all the way to the plug. The lead
was melted using a 1500W hot plate with the lead in a metal coffee can
and with a larger metal can inverted over that to keep the heat in. It
took about 40 minutes to get the lead all melted. You will need about
1.5 pounds of lead for each side. I started with 5 pounds total and that
made it easy to pour.
Doing this I only needed two steel plates to balance. This allowed
one to use the specified holes by turning the aileron vertical to insert
the tube in the hole with the balance plates on. This way the aileron
can be removed in the future.

On 06/18/2010 10:11 AM, Tim Juhl wrote:
Quote:

I'm getting ready to install the aileron balance in my right aileron. Looking at the LAA drawings provided by Zenith for the upgrade I see that they set the ribs that support the square tube used as a balance arm parallel to the other ribs in the aileron. This would result in the tube not being at a right angle to the rear spar. In my view, this would result in requiring a wider hole in the spar to accommodate the lateral movement of the tube when the aileron is deflected. I also believe there was an earlier discussion of the need to bend the tube inwards to clear the wingtip rivet line.
I wonder how others have dealt with this issue. I'm consideringL
1.) installing the ribs supporting the tube so as to place the tube at a right angle to the spar,&
2.) Moving the tube inwards slightly to assure clearance from structures in the wing.

Tim Juhl

--------
Tearing wings apart for modification

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=301668#301668

--
Mark Hubelbank
NorthEast Monitoring
2 Clock Tower Place
Suite 555
Maynard, MA, 01754 - USA
mhubel(at)nemon.com
978-443-3955

Jabiru 3300
Rotec TBI 40-3 carb
Sensenich ground adj prop.
240 hr TAF
Pictures at photo.hubbles.com
Afterfxllc(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Aileron balance install Reply with quote

I moved the balance arm 100 mm inboard and it clears with no bending of the arm. If you install the ribs at the same angle as the other ribs it is a bit more difficult to align everything but I feel looks better.

Jeff

In a message dated 6/18/2010 10:12:44 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, juhl(at)avci.net writes:
Quote:
--> Zenith 601-List message posted by: "Tim Juhl" <juhl(at)avci.net>

I wonder how others have dealt with this issue. I'm consideringL
1.) installing the ribs supporting the tube so as to place the tube at a right angle to the spar, &

Tim Juhl

--------
Tearing wings apart for modification

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=301668#301668===============================================
_-= Use the ties Day ================================================ - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS ================================================ - List Contribution Web Site sp;   ===================================================

[quote][b]

Ron Lendon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Aileron balance install Reply with quote

The one I just did I just made square to the hinge line and picked up two existing rivets for the new rib rivet lines. I checked clearance with a large carpenters square from the center of one rivet and wouldn't ya know, the next rivet was 40mm away, ( just perfect for the rib lines) . It was very easy to draw those lines around the aileron skin using a square. Once the lines were drawn just mark and drill the end holes, and rivet fan for the 5 rivets on the end, and 8 rivets top and bottom.

ZU 108a.JPG
 Description:
Top surface new rivet lines for the balance arm ribs
 Filesize:  433.74 KB
 Viewed:  6130 Time(s)

ZU 108a.JPG

ZU 104.jpg
 Description:
Using Square to determine where to put the ribs in the aileron
 Filesize:  681.07 KB
 Viewed:  6130 Time(s)

ZU 104.jpg

N601LT - Flying
http://www.mykitlog.com/rlendon
Corvair Engine Prints:
https://sites.google.com/site/corvairenginedata/
PatrickW

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Aileron balance install Reply with quote

I did mine kind of like Ron did, except I "split the difference" between the rivet lines.

http://www.zenith.aero/photo/aileron-balance-ribs

Had plenty of clearance, and I didn't have to mess around with bending the arm.

Having 20/20 hindsight, if I could do it all over again I'd have put the aileron trim on the right wing instead of the left. Between that and the counter weight, the left wing is starting to get kind of heavy way out there by the tip, and since the pilot sits on the left side anyway, it would have been nicer to have all that weight on the other side to balance things out better.

I also like the idea of filling the end of that tube with lead and keeping the whole thing "skinny" so the aileron could be removed in the future if need be. I didn't do that, and hope I don't come to regret that.

- Pat

merlin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Aileron balance install Reply with quote

For what it's worth,,,

did my aileron balance per the instructions from Zenith and it work out perfect. No interference with anything, no bending of the tube etc...

I did put a couple of L angles on the front side of the rear spar one on each side of the "cut out" because I noticed with the weight installed, it (the rear spar at that point) seemed to flex just a little. (Hinge less)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith601-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: