Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FireStar Tail Wheel Rod/Spring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiskeyVictor36(at)aol.co

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: FireStar Tail Wheel Rod/Spring Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

My Original FireStar has suffered some damage. In January a severe wind storm caused an 80' tall pine tree to snap off at the 40' high point, which then fell onto my hangar. The hangar is one of those instant car garages, consisting of round metal roof rafters and a canvas cover. It is 12' wide X 24' long and I fold the wings on the Kolb to park it inside. The tree fell onto the hangar longitudely, that is, it did not fall directly on top of the Kolb (well a few branches did) because it hit slightly off the center line on the left side. But, the hangar rafters were bent down and they contacted the left folded wing, destroying the aileron, leading and trailing wing spars, bent some ribs and the bow tip was crumpled. The main spar was ok. Since the wing was pushed downward really hard, it tore out the wing support cross tube that goes thru the boom tube. Both of the outer ends of the elevators were damaged. Rudder was OK. The tail wheel, which was sitting in the tail wheel dolly, was broken at the welded joint and the fiberglass tail spring rod was broken where it exits the steel tube on the plane. Some other damage was: Dented muffler, but still usable; Fuselage fabric support bent down and fabric torn on left side.

I have already rebuilt the wing, built a new aileron and repaired the elevators. Also have stripped all the fabric off the fuselage (it was 15 years old) and will recover it.

Question. I got a new 3/4" aluminum tail wheel rod/spring from Travis. It fits kind of loose into both the tail wheel bracket and the steel fuselage tube. What is a good way to shim this to make a better fit. (The original fiberglass rod was epoxied in place and was a bear to drill out. I don't want to do that to the metal rod.)

Bill Varnes
Original Kolb FireStar
Audubon NJ
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Jimmy Young

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: FireStar Tail Wheel Rod/Spring Reply with quote

Bill,

I had a similar problem with a gear leg repair. I used some aluminum tape to take up the slack. It worked fine for me.

Sorry to hear about the damage report, good luck with it.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: FireStar Tail Wheel Rod/Spring Reply with quote

Bill, you could try cleaning out the tube ends and smearing a coating of epoxy inside and then drilling or honing to a good fit.I think someone makes epoxy with little metal particles in it.
Since it's not a safety in flight area a little experimentation wouldn't hurt.
BB

On 28, Jun 2010, at 10:55 PM, WhiskeyVictor36(at)aol.com (WhiskeyVictor36(at)aol.com) wrote:
[quote] Hi Guys,

My Original FireStar has suffered some damage. In January a severe wind storm caused an 80' tall pine tree to snap off at the 40' high point, which then fell onto my hangar. The hangar is one of those instant car garages, consisting of round metal roof rafters and a canvas cover. It is 12' wide X 24' long and I fold the wings on the Kolb to park it inside. The tree fell onto the hangar longitudely, that is, it did not fall directly on top of the Kolb (well a few branches did) because it hit slightly off the center line on the left side. But, the hangar rafters were bent down and they contacted the left folded wing, destroying the aileron, leading and trailing wing spars, bent some ribs and the bow tip was crumpled. The main spar was ok. Since the wing was pushed downward really hard, it tore out the wing support cross tube that goes thru the boom tube. Both of the outer ends of the elevators were damaged. Rudder was OK. The tail wheel, which was sitting in the tail wheel dolly, was broken at the welded joint and the fiberglass tail spring rod was broken where it exits the steel tube on the plane. Some other damage was: Dented muffler, but still usable; Fuselage fabric support bent down and fabric torn on left side.

I have already rebuilt the wing, built a new aileron and repaired the elevators. Also have stripped all the fabric off the fuselage (it was 15 years old) and will recover it.

Question. I got a new 3/4" aluminum tail wheel rod/spring from Travis. It fits kind of loose into both the tail wheel bracket and the steel fuselage tube. What is a good way to shim this to make a better fit. (The original fiberglass rod was epoxied in place and was a bear to drill out. I don't want to do that to the metal rod.)

Bill Varnes
Original Kolb FireStar
Audubon NJ
Quote:

[b]

by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: FireStar Tail Wheel Rod/Spring Reply with quote

Bill Varnes
Original Kolb FireStar
Audubon NJ
[quote]
[quote]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
if you put a small amount of silicone rubber on the tail rod, and inside the socket, bolt it in place and wipe off the excess, let it sit a couple days till the silicone sets up before putting on the ground. the rod will be much more solid. but if you need to get it out you can twist and break the silicone looseand pull it out. it will also keep the rust out.boyd young mkiii [b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: FireStar Tail Wheel Rod/Spring Reply with quote

Boyd:

I did that once, used silicone seal on the tail wheel strut.

Upon removal, some time later, I discovered extensive corrosion.

I don't use silicone seal on 4130 anymore.

john h
mkIII

[quote] if you put a small amount of silicone rubber on the tail rod, and inside the socket,
Quote:
bolt it in place and wipe off the excess, let it sit a couple days till the silicone sets up before putting on the ground. the rod will be much more solid. but if you need to get it out you can twist and break the silicone looseand pull it out. it will also keep the rust out.boyd young mkiii

[b]

Titus, Alabama
zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: FireStar Tail Wheel Rod/Spring Reply with quote

Bill,
Seems like all of them fit a little loose.I tried this and it works really well.first hacksaw 2 cuts in the tube end,one vertical and one horizontal,which lets the tube end compress around the new rod.Also drilled a new hole through the tube and rod, (near the old hole) for good register at that attach point.Its a 2 piece aluminum clamp using counter sunk cap screws.
G.Aman MK-3C
[img]cid:tie_8CCE5B12DA77E5F_642C_9239[/img]

--

CIMG2265.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.49 KB
 Viewed:  8334 Time(s)

CIMG2265.JPG

by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: FireStar Tail Wheel Rod/Spring Reply with quote

john
when i pulled mine apart i found no corosion at all.... as i remember i had run some epoxy primer on the inside before assembly. i may recheck for the fun of it.

boyd

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Boyd:

john h
mkIII

[quote] if you put a small amount of silicone rubber on the tail rod, and inside the socket,
Quote:
bolt it in place and wipe off the excess, let it sit a couple days till the silicone sets up before putting on the ground. the rod will be much more solid. but if you need to get it out you can twist and break the silicone looseand pull it out. it will also keep the rust out.boyd young mkiii

[b]

herbgh(at)nctc.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: FireStar Tail Wheel Rod/Spring Reply with quote

Non acetic acid silicone is likely less reactive with cro molly steel.. Herb

At 12:54 PM 6/29/2010, you wrote:
[quote]
john
when i pulled mine apart i found no corosion at all.... as i remember i had run some epoxy primer on the inside before assembly. i may recheck for the fun of it.

boyd

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Boyd:

john h
mkIII

if you put a small amount of silicone rubber on the tail rod, and inside the socket,
[/b]
Quote:
bolt it in place and
wipe off the excess,
[/b]

Quote:
let it sit a couple
days till the silicone sets up before putting on the ground.
[/b]

Quote:
the rod will be much
more solid. but if you need to get it out you can twist and break
the silicone
loose[/b]

Quote:
and pull it out.
it will also keep the rust
out.[/b]

Quote:
boyd young
mkiii[/b]

Quote:

[b]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: FireStar Tail Wheel Rod/Spring Reply with quote

To: Jimmy Young, Bill Sullivan, Gene Zimmerman, BB, Boyd Young, John Hauck and Herb,
Quote:
Regarding my Question: I got a new 3/4" aluminum tail wheel rod/spring from Travis. It fits kind of loose into both the tail wheel bracket and the steel fuselage tube. What is a good way to shim this to make a better fit?

Thanks to all of you for giving me some good ideas to modify the tail rod installation. I am leaning toward using metal tape wrapped around the rod for a snug fit. In fact I already tried it on the tail wheel end and it works great.

Bill Varnes
Original Kolb FireStar
Audubon NJ

[quote][b]

Chris_A

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: FireStar Tail Wheel Rod/Spring Reply with quote

I used this for mine loctite 660 press fit repair

http://www.loctite.sg/sea/content_data/93755_Loctite_660_Quick_Metal_Retaining_Compound.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: FireStar Tail Wheel Rod/Spring Reply with quote

In a message dated 7/2/2010 12:56:08 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 50calibercruiser(at)cox.net writes:
Quote:
I used this for mine loctite 660 press fit repair

Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion.
Bill Varnes
Original Kolb FireStar
Audubon NJ
Do Not Archive

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: