Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radio Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Radio Advice Reply with quote

Kolb Friends –

I have decided to buy a new com radio for my Kolb, and seek the collective advice of this List.

For the past 9 years, I have been using an old (ealy-90s era) Terra handheld, and it finally died on my last flight, earlier this week. Not worth repairing, I suspect. And so, I am in the market for a “real” aircraft radio (not a hand-held) that I can mount permanently in (or maybe under) my panel.

I have narrowed my choices down to three non-certified models: the Microair-760, the Icom-A210, and the MGL-V10. All 3 feature a built-in intercom. Each is about a thousand bucks.

Do any of our Kolb flyers have any experience with either of these radios?
Pros/cons?
Features you like?
I’m especially wanting to know how well the intercom works in the loud cockpit environment of our Kolbs.

Any/all advice offered will be helpful.

Many thanks –

Dennis Kirby
Mark-3, 912ul, “Magic Bike”
Sandia Park, NM

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Radio Advice Reply with quote

Hey Dennis,

Regarding radios;  I have my Icom A200 (I assume the A210 isn't too much different).
Sure feels sturdy, and from me playing with it on the dining room table, it sure works great!
So, I'd say go for the Icom.  I like it.  It's attractive, it's simple, it has standby for the second frequency (flip-flop).  What more could you want? 

There are a couple of other radios you could consider.  I also have a Narco 810 com radio.  I bought it for my GlaStar.  It also would make a great panel mount radio!!  It is TSO'd, for what it's worth.  I bought it off eBay for $825 from an avionics repair center, and it came with a yellow tag.  It is virtually the same size as my Icom A200.

I used to have a complete Terra avionics stack in my first Cessna 172.  I had the old Terra bush-button panel mount radio.  It worked great, no complaints, but I think I'd recommend the Terra digital panel mount radio, compared to my older version.

I think you have lots of good choices;

1)the Icom A210 (or A200)   (my personal favorite)
2)the Narco 810 (digital w/flip flop feature)  ( another excellent choice!)
3)the Terra digital (not a bad radio!)
4)the MGL      (no experience with this one)
5)the Microair  ( I knew a guy that had one, it was ok)

This would be my recommendation....in that order.

Just my opinion.............

Mike Welch 
working on my radio stack/pod, lately

Subject: Radio Advice
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 10:58:21 -0600
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
.ExternalClass p.ecxMsoNormal, .ExternalClass li.ecxMsoNormal, .ExternalClass div.ecxMsoNormal {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:'Calibri','sans-serif';} .ExternalClass a:link, .ExternalClass span.ecxMsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass a:visited, .ExternalClass span.ecxMsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass p.ecxMsoPlainText, .ExternalClass li.ecxMsoPlainText, .ExternalClass div.ecxMsoPlainText {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:10.5pt;font-family:Consolas;} .ExternalClass span.ecxEmailStyle17 {font-family:'Calibri','sans-serif';color:windowtext;} .ExternalClass span.ecxPlainTextChar {font-family:Consolas;} .ExternalClass .ecxMsoChpDefault {;} (at)page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in;} .ExternalClass div.ecxWordSection1 {page:WordSection1;}
Kolb Friends –

I have decided to buy a new com radio for my Kolb, and seek the collective advice of this List.

For the past 9 years, I have been using an old (ealy-90s era) Terra handheld, and it finally died on my last flight, earlier this week.  Not worth repairing, I suspect.  And so, I am in the market for a “real” aircraft radio (not a hand-held) that I can mount permanently in (or maybe under) my panel.

I have narrowed my choices down to three non-certified models: the Microair-760, the Icom-A210, and the MGL-V10.  All 3 feature a built-in intercom.  Each is about a thousand bucks.

Do any of our Kolb flyers have any experience with either of these radios?
Pros/cons?
Features you like?
I’m especially wanting to know how well the intercom works in the loud cockpit environment of our Kolbs.

Any/all advice offered will be helpful.

Many thanks –

Dennis Kirby
Mark-3, 912ul, “Magic Bike”
Sandia Park, NM

Quote:

ttp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
ronics.com
ww.matronics.com/contribution

The New Busy think 9 to 5 is a cute idea. Combine multiple calendars with Hotmail. Get busy. [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

tclongo(at)att.net

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Radio Advice Reply with quote

I think the Flightline FL-760 is the best buy for the buck. I have one and it works great and has a built in intercom!
[quote] --

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Radio Advice Reply with quote

Dennis,

The absolute best radio reception I've ever had in any airplane (GA included) was an iCom A-200, predecessor to the A-210. It was in the Allegro (factory installed) that I used to own part of. I know nothing about installation issues but can tell you if installed properly this radio's performance was outstanding.

I now use a hand-held iCom A6 (no room for a panel mount, nor in my budget) with boom tube mounted antenna and its performance is adequate.

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: