Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Circuit protection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tim2542(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Circuit protection Reply with quote

I have my electrical plan in the final draft and will post it here soon. But first I have a few questions. I will have breakers for a few items, the ignition, fuel pump, landing brake, nose lift, alternator field and pitch trim.
  1. I am using a Plane Power alternator with the integrated over-volt protection. I see no need for a breaker in this case, why not use a fuse?
  2. The nose lift (EZ type A/C) requires unswitched power to the lift and a 10A CB in the panel. This will be a long run and needs protection back at the Bat Bus also. I plan to use a fusible link for this. I also need unswitched power for the ignition (1 mag, 1 EI) and clock power. I thought I would pull the unswitched lead forward with a fusible link at the bat bus, then branch out to the nose lift, EI, and clock power. Something tells me there is a problem with this. I can’t put my finger on it other than I can hear Bob saying a bat bus is at the battery. The EI probably needs a dedicated circuit. But if the feeder was protected/sized to 15 amps, and knowing the lift only draws heavy loads when the A/C is on the ground I thought it should be ok. Thoughts?
  3. The rest of the breakers on the panel will be fed from the E bus and some from the Main bus, both of which are some 30”’ away. At what point (length) do I need to protect those feeder circuits using fuses or fusible links?

Thanks in advance, Tim Andres

(rnbraud(at)yahoo.com)

[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Circuit protection Reply with quote

At 11:10 AM 7/9/2010, you wrote:
Quote:
I have my electrical plan in the final draft and will post it here soon. But first I have a few questions. I will have breakers for a few items, the ignition, fuel pump, landing brake, nose lift, alternator field and pitch trim.
  1. I am using a Plane Power alternator with the integrated over-volt protection. I see no need for a breaker in this case, why not use a fuse?

Because it's a crowbar ov protection system that
MIGHT nuisance trip for conditions as yet undiscovered.
Quote:
  1. The nose lift (EZ type A/C) requires unswitched power to the lift and a 10A CB in the panel. This will be a long run and needs protection back at the Bat Bus also. I plan to use a fusible link for this.

Please don't use fusible links for any other application
than those illustrated in the Z-figures. Your gear motor
circuit would be happier with a breaker. Where is the battery
located in the airplane?
Quote:
  1. I also need unswitched power for the ignition (1 mag, 1 EI) and clock power. I thought I would pull the unswitched lead forward with a fusible link at the bat bus, then branch out to the nose lift, EI, and clock power. Something tells me there is a problem with this. I can’t put my finger on it other than I can hear Bob saying a bat bus is at the battery. The EI probably needs a dedicated circuit. But if the feeder was protected/sized to 15 amps, and knowing the lift only draws heavy loads when the A/C is on the ground I thought it should be ok. Thoughts?

How about a fuse for each battery bus feed system
in a fuse holder mounted right at the battery contactor?
Quote:
  1. The rest of the breakers on the panel will be fed from the E bus and some from the Main bus, both of which are some 30”’ away. At what point (length) do I need to protect those feeder circuits using fuses or fusible links?

Not sure what the 30" refers to. The E-bus and main
busses are separated by 30"?

Bob . . . [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

tim2542(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Circuit protection Reply with quote

(rnbraud(at)yahoo.com)

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Robert L. Nuckolls, III
Sent: Friday, July 09, 2010 5:18 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: AeroElectric-List: Circuit protection

At 11:10 AM 7/9/2010, you wrote:

Because it's a crowbar ov protection system that
MIGHT nuisance trip for conditions as yet undiscovered. OK, that makes sense.
  1. The nose lift (EZ type A/C) requires unswitched power to the lift and a 10A CB in the panel. This will be a long run and needs protection back at the Bat Bus also. I plan to use a fusible link for this.

Please don't use fusible links for any other application
than those illustrated in the Z-figures. Your gear motor
circuit would be happier with a breaker. Where is the battery
located in the airplane? On the main spar, perhaps 8’ away.
  1. I also need unswitched power for the ignition (1 mag, 1 EI) and clock power. I thought I would pull the unswitched lead forward with a fusible link at the bat bus, then branch out to the nose lift, EI, and clock power. Something tells me there is a problem with this. I can’t put my finger on it other than I can hear Bob saying a bat bus is at the battery. The EI probably needs a dedicated circuit. But if the feeder was protected/sized to 15 amps, and knowing the lift only draws heavy loads when the A/C is on the ground I thought it should be ok. Thoughts?

How about a fuse for each battery bus feed system
in a fuse holder mounted right at the battery contactor? I can do that, I was trying to eliminate a couple of wires.
  1. The rest of the breakers on the panel will be fed from the E bus and some from the Main bus, both of which are some 30”’ away. At what point (length) do I need to protect those feeder circuits using fuses or fusible links?

Not sure what the 30" refers to. The E-bus and main
busses are separated by 30"?

The CB’s on the panel are 30” away from the Main & Ebus, where they feed from. So I need to protect those feeds as they go to the CB’s right?
Thanks, Tim

Bob . . .
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
11:36:00
[quote][b]

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Circuit protection Reply with quote

Quote:

The CB’s on the panel are 30” away from the Main & Ebus, where they feed from. So I need to protect those feeds as they go to the CB’s right?
Thanks, Tim

The definition of a BUS is where the breakers and/or
fuse holders all come together. For example,

http://aeroelectric.com/Pictures/Wiring_Technique/bus_bars_1.jpg

All of those straps or "bars" between the breakers IS
one kind of bus or another. In other words, where
ever your breakers/fuses live is where the bus lives
be it the E-bus, main bus, battery bus, etc. There
are no "feeders" between a bus and the protection that
taps that bus.

Bob . . . [quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: