Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another battery maintainer/charger question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edleg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Another battery maintainer/charger question Reply with quote

This subject is off topic of building/running airplanes, but it is still an interesting (to me, anyways) question/subject. One of my hobbies that gets in the way of aircraft building is my long time ham radio interests.

I recently obtained a new RV/Marine deep cycle battery to provide emergency 12vdc power for my vhf/uhf station and hf station on low power. I bought a nice battery box to put the thing in (a rather heavy battery -- "105 Ahr"). Mounted a small dc-to-ac inverter on the lid along with some 12vdc outlets and also a new Schumacher SE-1-12s (1.5 amp) maintainer/charger.

Everything works fairly well except for two troubling things:
1. the maintainer/charger is very loud, even in the maintainer mode -- actually louder than my other two regular 6/2 amp and 10/2 amp battery chargers.
2. the "float" voltage that is maintained is at 12.96 vdc as measured by two different digital (fluke brand) volt meters. Seems a little bit low when reading the other posts here.

So... Bob and the other electron experts: is there a relatively (physically) small maintainer/charger that doesn't always sound like a loud battery charger (oxymoron???) when in the maintainer mode, and is the float voltage high enough?

Thanks,

-Ed-
NX6ED

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
n8zg(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Another battery maintainer/charger question Reply with quote

Ed -
My little Schumacher 1562 1.5-amp charger/maintainer is silent - at least,
if it makes any noise, I've never noticed it, even in the wee hours with the
house & shop quiet.

Neal
N8ZG

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

skywagon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Another battery maintainer/charger question Reply with quote

Ed,
The little maintainer should be dead silent. I suspect the step down
transformer inside the unit is bad. I would try to return it to the store
for an exchange or send it back to the manuf. They should be good about
replacing it.
The float voltage should be approx. 13.1 to 13.4 volts. There are probably
internal adjustments "if" you can pop the case. However, if the transformer
is faulty/vibrates at 60/120 Hz. then it needs to be swapped with a good
one.
David

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: