Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oshkosh First Timer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ch701builder(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Oshkosh First Timer Reply with quote

All,
My first time to OSH. Going to do the Camp Scholler thing. Any advice for me and my bride?

Can I camp next to my vehicle?

What about leaving and going into town, any problems leaving my camp site setup, or do I have to break it down and set it back up when I arrive back at Camp Scholler?

I'll will try to attend the Zenith dinner.
Arrive Sunday, July 25th
Leave Saturday, July 31st

Thanks everybody.

Keith
CH701 - scratch
N 38.9940
W 105.1305
Alt. 9,100'

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
ch701builder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Oshkosh First Timer Reply with quote

All,
My first time to OSH. Going to do the Camp Scholler thing. Any advice for me and my bride?

What about leaving and going into town, any problems leaving my camp site setup, or do I have to break it down and set it back up when I arrive back at Camp Scholler?

Arrive Sunday, July 25th

Thanks everybody.

Keith
CH701 - scratch
N 38.9940
W 105.1305
Alt. 9,100'

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

n801bh(at)netzero.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Oshkosh First Timer Reply with quote

First time ????
You guys are gonna LOVE it. !!!!!!!!!!
Camp Scholler is a nice place if you plan a little.
1- If you can get there early pick a spot in the shade of the trees. If not find a spot kinda out towards the entrance and within 100 yards or so of the showers/bathrooms.
2- Pick a spot one or two from the end of a row, end spots are kinda noisy with traffic passing at all hours, Stay away from the porta potties as they get smelly and the doors slamming all the time get old.
3- Absolutely NO problem with going into town with your vehicle, You get a pass to put in the window. You can leave you tent, etc, set up. Never heard of anyone getting ripped off but for safety sake don't leave the 20,000 in cash you are bring to buy,>> pick one . Avionics, engine, airframe. in your tent . <GG>
Take your showers late at night to avoid the rush and be assured of plenty of hot water I usually hit the showers at 11 pm- midnight and I usually have it all to myself. If you go there at 6 PM,,, GOOD luck. <G>
If ya got any more questions , fire away
do not archive

Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

--------

JohnDRead(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Oshkosh First Timer Reply with quote

Hi Keith;
  You will have a blast at OSH. It is best if you order your tickets and camping pass online, it saves a lot of waiting to get in. You do have to pay for a whole week of camping but any unused days are repaid when you check out. No problem with taking your vehicle in and out, you will get a stickum for the wind shield that is near permanent! Do take your most comfortable walking shoes as the place is huge. Do take rain gear it always rains at least one evening! The air shows are great but get a little repetitive after three days. The theater in the woods has interesting evening programs. Do visit the EAA Museum, many very interesting things to see there. The recreated grass field is there too very interesting things to see. There are trolleys on the major routes but still walking is the major mode of transport. Do plan on visiting the sea plane base it is tranquil and a lot less hectic than the main show. Food is also better. Busses go from the main buss park in the middle of the field. There are plenty of restaurants just off the main drag, Kodiak Jacks is the best, both fish and steak are good. Have a great time!

Regards, John

CH701 - Colorado - Jabiru 3300

Cell: 719-494-4567
Home: 303-648-3261
In a message dated 7/11/2010 3:32:18 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, ch701builder(at)yahoo.com writes:
Quote:
All,

Arrive Sunday, July 25th

Thanks everybody.

Keith
CH701 - scratch
N 38.9940
W 105.1305
Alt. 9,100'

Quote:

====================================
List href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
ms.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com
tp://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

bryanekholm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Oshkosh First Timer Reply with quote

We always bring our bikes along to transport ourselves to and from the flight-line, showers, the Ford Theater, etc. It is a long walk otherwise. And you'll get plenty of walking in on the main grounds. If you don't find a place in the shade at first, keep checking back, people come and go all the time.

There are some who try to "reserve" their spots by placing their string or flagging tape around a camp spot or having somebody else do it for them prior to their arrival. In my opinion, those are open campsites since they don't take reservations at Camp Scholler.

Bryan Ekholm

dougsnash

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Oshkosh First Timer Reply with quote

It seems kind of inconsistant on the part of the EAA but actually those roped off sites are legitimately reserved (or at least most are). If you show up at Camp Scholler a week or two before the show and pay for your spot through the end of the show, you can rope off your campsite, attach your camping credentials to the rope, and leave. Then come back anytine during the show and move back into your campsite. The campsite is paid for and therefore belongs to someone. If you take over one of these paid for spots, security will ask you to move when the owner comes back. This causes much stress and many hard feelings. I've heard of these horror stories while working at camper registration.

Now, if the camping credentials are not attached to the rope, then it is a different story. However, I camp with a motorhome with no secondary mode of transportation and I'd be mighty ticked if someone stole my roped off spot while I was in line to dump my tanks or if I had to make an emergency Walmart trip.

Airventure is kind of an interesting small world of it's own. People generally go out of their way to be nice to everyone. You will be surprised at how little liter there is on the grounds. The general rule is, if you see a piece of trash, pick it up and throw it out. Little niceties like that are part of what makes Oshkosh so enjoyable.

Enjoy the show.

Doug MacDonald
CH-701 Scratch Builder
NW Ontario, Canada

Do Not Archive

--- On Mon, 7/12/10, bryanekholm <ekholmbk(at)lakedalelink.net> wrote:

Quote:
Subject: Re: Oshkosh First Timer
To: zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com
Received: Monday, July 12, 2010, 1:52 AM
--> Zenith701801-List message
posted by: "bryanekholm" <ekholmbk(at)lakedalelink.net>

We always bring our bikes along to transport ourselves to
and from the flight-line, showers, the Ford Theater,
etc.  It is a long walk otherwise.  And you'll get
plenty of walking in on the main grounds.  If you don't
find a place in the shade at first, keep checking back,
people come and go all the time. 

There are some who try to "reserve" their spots by placing
their string or flagging tape around a camp spot or having
somebody else do it for them prior to their arrival. 
In my opinion, those are open campsites since they don't
take reservations at Camp Scholler.

Bryan Ekholm

--------
Bryan Ekholm

bobkat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Oshkosh First Timer Reply with quote

Keith and others. A bunch of us go every year and have been camping down the road just south of Camp Scholler across from the Red Barn/ultralite field. Its called ??Stadmueller spelled backwards or something like that. There's no hookups or sewer connections and only outdoor toiletsw like on the field itself, but we just wander down to the EAA showers by the Classic airplane parking section and splash down there. If I ever get my plane painted I'll fly in to the Ultralight area, tie down, and camp across the road with our buddies.
Good advice on this topic. Yes, bring a bicycle - I can get over to the museum or warbirds from where we camp in just a few minutes. And bring a simple lock for your bike when you leave it in the bike areas close to the entrances. I also bring a little two wheeled cart thing that makes into a chair (I have a lousy back) and bungees on to the bike so I can collect all sorts of junk and ride home in a hurry.
I'm thinking that a bunch of us 701/750/801 people should swap cell phone numbers and get together some night for an informal lie telling session, like before the Theatre in the woods of something. Most of us will hit the Zenith dinner on Thursday, and hit the Zenith display a few times during the week. It's always nice to meet other Matronics posters. Maybe we could all wear something distinctive so we could pick each other out around the Zenith display or elsewhere.

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: