Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Critique my Fuel System

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickofudall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Critique my Fuel System Reply with quote

Per the Facet Installation Instructions (P/N 42664 01-04):

Required Item: In-line fuel filters need to be mounted on the pump's inlet port.
Think about it, especially when using a rebuildable filter like the Clearview, if you mount the filter on the inlet side and it leaks you get a few air bubbles in the line. Mount it on the pressure side and you get a stream of gasoline spraying about your airplane.

Using a second Facet for a transfer pump. I have one on my removable long range tank. It flows 6.8 gallons in 38 minutes, barely faster than my 582 consumes fuel. For my regular system I use a single Facet (low pressure unit P/N 40105) and a modified 3 way Weatherhead selector valve between tanks that gives me Off, Right, Left and Both to control which tank I draw from.
Of course it's experimental aviation and you can do as you like.
Rick Girard
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Critique my Fuel System Reply with quote

Rick,
Did the math.Can that 582 really burn 10.8GPH?

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rickofudall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Critique my Fuel System Reply with quote

Is irony an unknown concept in your part of the world?

Rick

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 8:48 PM, <zeprep251(at)aol.com (zeprep251(at)aol.com)> wrote:
[quote]Rick,
Did the math.Can that 582 really burn 10.8GPH?

--

henry.voris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Critique my Fuel System Reply with quote

Rick's point... "Mount it on the pressure side and you get a stream of gasoline spraying about your airplane." is well taken. I had the same fear myself...

So I safety wired the sucker...

IMHO a fuel filter is most effective when it stands between the carbs and all sources of contamination, including fuel pumps.

I fly the same fuel filter set up I have used for decades, with great success, on my motorcycle... My bike is rather old and the engine is hard mounted (no rubber mounts) to the frame... So if the filter is going to vibrate apart, I'm sure it would have done so by now.

Just my experience... Your mileage WILL vary.

Aloha,

fuel filter.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.38 KB
 Viewed:  5330 Time(s)

fuel filter.jpg

Do Not Archive
JetPilot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Critique my Fuel System Reply with quote

The Aircraft Spruce gascolator has a very fine screen filter built into it. If you go from Fuel Tank, to Gascolator, then Fuel Pump as in your diagram, you will have a good source of filtering before the Facet Fuel pump that is sufficient for its filtering requirements.

I think the system as you have it drawn in your Diagram is the best.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
JetPilot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Critique my Fuel System Reply with quote

Gottime242,

BTW, I also use a Facet pump to pump fuel from my aux tank into my mains. It pumps 6 gallons into the main tanks in about 20 minutes. Its perfect, I pumps gas into the mains at least 5 times the rate the engine consumes fuel, but not so fast that its a problem. I just turn it on when I have used at least 6 gallons from my mains, and let it run until I hear the facet pump start to get louder, as is does when it goes dry, and shut it off.

I also have an overflow going to the bottom of the plane from the main tanks, so that way if I overfill them by accident from the Aux Tank, the extra fuel just goes into the airstream at the bottom of the plane. Its a fuel proof system, no way to mess it up to the point of having an engine failure or fuel problem.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: