Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Critique my Fuel System.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gotime242

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Critique my Fuel System. Reply with quote

Hello all, his is my first post. I recently bought a Kolb FS II and since have been spending a lot of time browsing this forum and some others. It seems the fuel system is kind of a weak point and many people have a lot of good ideas on what the best setup is. I thought about it and kind of decided what I would like to do.

The Firestar i bought has a very simple fuel system, which is good....but id like to add a little more with a few changes. Currently it has the original Kolb tanks w/pickups made from fuel line w/weights and pickups on the end. Then it just goes to a Y fitting outside the tanks to join the two, then to a aircraft spruce glass fuel filter...and to the pulse pump. Simple and works...however id like to add a back-up pump, not have fuel line in the tanks and eventually a gascolator.

What i would like to do:
Kolb Tanks w/ "TNK" all metal top feed fuel pickups -> gascolator -> fuel pump -> fuel filter -> Pulse pump. Using NAPA black auto fuel line throughout the entire systems.

Here is another thing....instead of having the main fuel line pulling from both fuel tanks (doubling the chance to suck up air for some reason)...i would like to have it only pull from ONE tank, and then have another facet pump to be able to transfer fuel from the 2nd tank to the "main" tank. I like this idea because it eliminates a top-feed that might be problematic and if the pump fails (which it prob wont) you will just have less fuel and can land sooner. And later on i could add an aux tank to the pax seat with the same concept...

A simple picture of all this should be at the bottom.

Will the fuel pump still be able to serve as a backup from this elevated point?

Let me know what you think, thanks!!

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Fuel Sys.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.25 KB
 Viewed:  23262 Time(s)

Fuel Sys.jpg

Last edited by gotime242 on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
henry.voris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Critique my Fuel System. Reply with quote

15jul10

Gotime,

Personalty...

A. I would prefer to have the fuel filter be the last thing before the carbs...

B. I have a fuel pressure regulator after both pumps. I worry about overpowering the carb with two pumps running.

But I'm no expert...

Aloha,

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Do Not Archive
slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Critique my Fuel System. Reply with quote

A Facet will suck uphill but personally I like to have it below the lowest point on the pickup.
A straight tube with a tapered end is good for a dip tube. I have an aversion to holes in the bottom of
a plastic jug. The only thing I can say good about the plastic tank is I don't need a gauge. I'm aware of their frailty.

I had a regulator. I removed it because, after some study, realized that if it failed, it would be to zero flow.
A serious regulator would return fuel to the tank as on a FI system. (bypass)
BB

On 15, Jul 2010, at 2:38 PM, henry.voris wrote:

Quote:

15jul10

Gotime,

Personalty...

B. I have a fuel pressure regulator after both pumps. I worry about overpowering the carb with two pumps running.

But I'm no expert...

Aloha,

--------
Henry
Firefly Five-Charlie-Bravo

Do Not Archive

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=304955#304955

gotime242

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Critique my Fuel System. Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys guys.
Looks like im starting to solve this puzzle bit by bit.

Anyone else have any input on if a Fuel Pressure regulator would be required when adding the Facet 40105 (lower pressure) fuel pump into the series?

I guess in all my reading i hadnt seen much on the use of a FPR...is that because its common sense to have one?...or that not many people are running them?

Thanks again.

lcottrell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Critique my Fuel System. Reply with quote

The key is to buy a Facet pump that will not overpower your carbs, then you can leave the pressure regulator out of the system. In most cases, less is better.
Larry
Note: If you forward this email, please delete the forwarding history, which includes my email address.
[quote] ---

henry.voris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Critique my Fuel System. Reply with quote

I included a fuel pressure regulator in my system based on no empirical evidence what so ever. The decision was made using darker forces… rumor, innuendo, fear, and commercial interests…

I had read in several sources, that it was advisable to include a regulator when adding a Facet pump to a pulse system. My sources (CPS leaps to mind) had a commercial interest in me buying said regulator… I have not read such a requirement from either Rotax or Bing (I haven’t been looking.). I would appreciate any real data on the subject…

Until then… The repeating vision of the Facet pump overpowering the float valve on the poor little Bing, sending a torrent of raw fuel down the throat of the (normally) thundering 447 was too much for me. I caved and installed the regulator…

I suspect the mechanism is simple, so I expect high reliability. I haven’t heard of any failures… (I haven’t been looking.)

I have not tried to calibrate the pressure delivered to the carb. However I do know that it is possible to turn the regulator down enough to starve the engine. (Don’t ask me how I know this… or how long it took me to figure it out…).

I agree with Larry…” In most cases, less is better.” And would happy to be persuaded that it’s OK to get rid of the regulator.

Do Not Archive
lcottrell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Critique my Fuel System. Reply with quote

Henry,
When I first started with a 447 I used a regulator that I had previously used on a truck mounted welder and set the pressure at 5 pounds. After an unknown number of hours, I discovered that Facet makes pumps that will only put out 5 pounds of pressure. ( you can get more pressure if you want) at that point I took off the pressure regulator and ran out the 447, a 503 and am now working on a HKS. All happily without gasoline squirting every where.
You do what makes you feel good, as always all this information is just that, not even a hint of suggestion or recommendation should be derived from the preceding message. Smile
Larry
Note: If you forward this email, please delete the forwarding history, which includes my email address.
[quote] ---

Dana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Critique my Fuel System. Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------------
"henry.voris" <henry_voris(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
(15/07/2010 14:3Cool
Quote:

i Understand the logic, but I think it's more important to protect the
pump from any crud coming into it. If the pump is producing crud,
it's likely to fail anyway.

-Dana

henry.voris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Critique my Fuel System. Reply with quote

Larry

Thanks for the info… Got off my butt and looked around a bit… My Rotax Manual sez my thundering 447 requires 3 to 7 psi from the fuel pump… Facet claims a max pressure of 6 psi . I think it is safe to ass-u-me that, 6 psi is more than the output of the pulse pump. But, I wonder if the pressure from the pulse pump might add to the total pressure at the carb’s float valve. If not, I can chuck the regulator. I think I need to put a pressure gauge next to the carb, do a run-up, and take a look…
Dana,

I worry about crud fouling my fuel pumps too. After my fuel leaves the tank it falls into a sump (lowest point) before it gets sucked out by the fuel pumps… In a former life, the sump had been a gasolator … Hawaii went to ethanol in the fuel, so I had to make a new gasket and chuck the paper filter. It seems to work great just operating as a sump. Occasionally I’ll catch a bit of crud when I take a squirt from the sump, but the filter (next to the carb) has remained clean. With the sump protecting the pumps, I’m OK with the filter last in line, next to the carb, where IMHO it is most effective, standing between the carb and all sources of contamination, including the fuel pumps.

Thanks guys… You help me sort this stuff out.

Aloha,

Do Not Archive
rickofudall

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Critique my Fuel System. Reply with quote

Henry, Imagine a beautiful Saturday afternoon at a fly in after a morning of hanging out with the guys and gals of you EAA chapter, watching the kids take Young Eagles rides, having one of those great all you can eat fly in breakfasts, and all the other good things that happen at airports. It's finally time to head for home. You line up, take off and because your Kolb climbs wonderfully, your at pattern altitude by mid downwind and suddenly things get far too quiet. Now it's not such a happy scenario. For me it was crud, a piece of plastic, that got stuck in the fuel selector valve that was installed before the filter. The temporary cure, to get me home, was to put a filter in the line coming from the tank pickup. The full cure was to put pickup screens on the bottom of the tank pickups.
The point is that your fuel system is a series of constricted passages and if it gets in there it's trouble. Filters have a fairly large area where a piece of crud can lodge and fuel can still get around it and get to your engine (water on a paper filter as you've described is the exception to this).

Rick Girard

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 2:37 AM, henry.voris <henry_voris(at)yahoo.com (henry_voris(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
[quote] --> Kolb-List message posted by: "henry.voris" <henry_voris(at)yahoo.com (henry_voris(at)yahoo.com)>

Larry

Thanks for the info Got off my butt and looked around a bit My Rotax Manual sez my thundering 447 requires 3 to 7 psi from the fuel pump Facet claims a max pressure of 6 psi . I think it is safe to ass-u-me that, 6 psi is more than the output of the pulse pump. But, I wonder if the pressure from the pulse pump might add to the total pressure at the carbs float valve. If not, I can chuck the regulator. I think I need to put a pressure gauge next to the carb, do a run-up, and take a look

Dana,

I worry about crud fouling my fuel pumps too. After my fuel leaves the tank it falls into a sump (lowest point) before it gets sucked out by the fuel pumps In a former life, the sump had been a gasolator Hawaii went to ethanol in the fuel, so I had to make a new gasket and chuck the paper filter. It seems to work great just operating as a sump. Occasionally Ill catch a bit of crud when I take a squirt from the sump, but the filter (next to the carb) has remained clean. With the sump protecting the pumps, Im OK with the filter last in line, next to the carb, where IMHO it is most effective, standing between the carb and all sources of contamination, including the fuel pumps.

Thanks guys You help me sort this stuff out.

Aloha,

--------
Henry
Firefly Five-Charlie-Bravo

Do Not Archive

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=305159#305159

===========
arget="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

JetPilot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Critique my Fuel System. Reply with quote

Your Fuel Diagram looks very good, you have definitely done your homework and put thought into your fuel system. Very impressive, most people just copy what ultralight guys have been doing since the early 80's without putting any thought into it. These are things I have been saying for years here on the list. According to EAA, half of all engine failures in experimental aircraft are due to a problem in the fuel system. You have hit on some very important points,

Use high quality fuel injection line from NAPA, 3.75 a foot, not the cheap 1.50 dollar a foot stuff from NAPA or other places. The injection line has much more resistance to crushing and pinching than the cheap stuff. The worst stuff in the world is the clear ultralight fuel tubing, it has a very short life, cracks easily, and pinches and cuts very easily also. With a properly designed fuel system, there is no requirement to " See " the fuel in the lines. How many certified airplanes use cheap fuel lines for some misguided reason such as to " See the fuel go through the lines ", ZERO ? There is a really good reason for that.

NEVER suck fuel from above the fuel level of the tank, that just just asking for a fuel related engine failure. Now in the top draw tanks that Kolb uses, you can use the metal draw tube, and bring it down over the top side of the tank with top quality fuel injection line and a fuel injection clamp that puts pressure evenly around the line, not a cheap 1 dollar home depot clamp... Not perfect, but good enough if you use the metal tube and top quality fuel line down to the gascolator below the fuel level. Drilling a fuel pickup on the bottom of the tank not dis not designed for it can be dangerous and the source of a big leak. I use the metal tubes feeding down over the side described above, I have great confidence in it. Mount your gascolator and fuel pump below the level of the fuel tank, this way a pinhole leak in the hose connection, gascolator gasket, etc. will be a slight wet spot instead of air flooding into the system. Once the fuel is under pressure, it wont suck air.. Your fuel filter can be mounted higher if you like.

There is no need for a pressure regulator, the Facet pumps can be bought that are rated to deliver the correct pressure for the Rotax engine. Adding a pressure regulator that is not needed just adds extra complication and is just something else to go wrong.

What I do not like is your fuel filter, those filters are made in China, with very cheap materials, there have been a lot of massive and sudden failures reported with these filters. Each production run is many times different and cheaper than the last, so one that someone bought years ago is not even close to the same filter you buy now, even though it looks the same. The metal threads has been changed to the cheapest, garbage metal available and can strip making the end come loose, suddenly pouring fuel everywhere. The glass can also break without warning, suddenly pouring fuel everywhere. The screen in this filter is not fine enough to adequately protect the carburetor. Rest assured that any general use Chinese filter you buy today will have the cheapest materials that can be found, even if it causes the filters to fail quickly, the Chinese will take saving 10 cents over making a good product any day. The Chinese factory does not care if the filter fails the week after you install it. The filter you should use is this high quality 10 micron air filter. It has several stages of filtering internally, and a large stainless filter mesh that will stop the smallest debris, yet not become clogged or stopped by water. This filter is cleanable, so you only buy it once. This is huge added safety, and will pay for itself over the years.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/micron10.php

78.00 dollars for this filter is a bargain given the huge increase in safety and performance, and considering that it is the last filter you will ever have to buy.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
gotime242

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Critique my Fuel System. Reply with quote

Jetpilot - Thanks for the words, you make a very good case to get that micron 10 fuel filter. Like you said: its only a little bit expensive ONCE.

You mentioned that you also have a facet pump that you transfer fuel with, are both the fuel pumps you use model #40105? The ones with 2.5-4.5psi max?

JetPilot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Critique my Fuel System. Reply with quote

Yes, I bought several of the Facet fuel Pumps rated for my 912-S, and also for the Rotax 503 / 447 and used them. I forget the exact model number, but I looked up the pressure ratings of the two models that CPS carries and bought the ones of the correct pressure for each engine. I also have 4 of the 10 micro fuel filters in 4 planes now, 2 flying and 2 under construction / repair. 2 on Rotax 912 - S and 2 of them on 2 stroke 447 engines.

The only difference I have in my installation from your diagram is that my 10 Micron fuel filter is after the pulse pump and right before the carburetor. Its seem like a minor difference, and I would feel safe flying either way. On my Kolb with the 912-S, I have the 10 micron pump before the engine driven pump, just because I did not want to mount a fuel filter on top of the hot engine, so like I say, I am happy with either placement depending on physical layout. With these filters, I check my carb bowls once in a while just to make sure the floats are not starting to come apart, the carb bowls are always clean enough to drink wine out of, never a drop of water nor even a spec of debris Smile

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Critique my Fuel System. Reply with quote

You are smart to keep as much junk as possible from ever getting into your fuel system, before it gets to the pump or the filters. As Barney used to say "NIP IT IN THE BUD!"

For the pickup in the bottom of your fuel tanks, go to Advance or AutoZone and get a big strainer type fuel filter that is designed to go in your car's gas tank just ahead of the in-tank fuel pump. Here is one for a 2000 Honda Accord, it is not expensive, and it is typical of what you want - a lot of surface area so that no matter how much mung you manage to get in the gas tank, you don't overwhelm the strainer's surface area.

The opening in the strainer for your fuel pickup line to fit in is about the diameter of the end of your little finger, get creative with some brass fittings & solder something to the end of your pickup tube to make it the proper size, and clamp the filter to it.

You want it to be mounted above the bottom of the tank by about an inch minimum, so that if you get water in the tank, your pickup is not immersed in it. which means that you will need to run a second line to the bottom of your tank to sump it. OK, do that, soft 1/4" aluminum fuel line from Aircraft Spruce is cheap. Run it to the lowest point in the tank when the aircraft is sitting level, and when you want to sump the tank, open the sump drain, blow into the tank's air vent line, & if there is any water, you will force it out.

PS: Don't forget to close the sump, you just started a siphon...

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

200HondaAccordSE2.3Lstrainer.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.72 KB
 Viewed:  23141 Time(s)

200HondaAccordSE2.3Lstrainer.jpeg

Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Critique my Fuel System. Reply with quote

"Richard Pike" wrote: << … so that no matter how much mung you manage to get in the gas tank …>>

There’s that word again: mung.
Very descriptive, yet I’ve never seen it in any dictionary or technical manual.

Wonderful word – I learned it here on the Kolb List!

Do not archive.
[quote][b]

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Critique my Fuel System. Reply with quote

Dennis,

Mung has more than one meaning, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mung

I assume Richard was using it in the "disgusting substance" sense.

do not archive

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: