Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tunnel heat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlm46007(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: tunnel heat Reply with quote

Anyone have a reason for the tunnel heat? what temperature?
---

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
rick.conti(at)boeing.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: tunnel heat Reply with quote

This topic was discussed in the past. I called the guy who posted the
subject. He is positive the heat is from the engine cooling which is in
the center of the lower cowling. He is also sure it is not the engine
exhaust. I look into venting my tunnel. Easy to vent at the rear to
let hot air out, but not so easy installing an inlet. I opted for
insulation. I made a false floor for the fuel pump assembly and
installed 1" of insulation along the bottom of the fuselage, full length
of the tunnel. One inch was too much below the torque tubes, used 1/4"
and 1/8" in those locations. I have not flown, so I can only hope this
works.

Thank You
Rick Conti
Senior Engineering Manager
The Boeing Company
office: 703 - 414 - 6141
blackberry: 571 - 215 - 6134
--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Tim(at)MyRV10.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: tunnel heat Reply with quote

David,
Don't take this with the wrong tone, as I don't mean it
as you might hear it, but....

Are you saying you've never heard of the tunnel heat issue
that was discussed in the past?

If so, I can try to post a short history and possible solutions.

Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD - Flying
do not archive
David McNeill wrote:
[quote]

Anyone have a reason for the tunnel heat? what temperature?
---

GRANSCOTT(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: tunnel heat Reply with quote

When I flew 410RV at Lakeland airport, the tunnel is pretty darn hot, I said something to Gus and he said it's warm but you get use to it...I'd guess 410's about hot enough at low altitude to burn your skin or irritate if you stay in contact with it...don't know if anyone else noticed this or it was just me looking for something...

Patrick Scott

do not archive

rvbuilder(at)sausen.net

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: tunnel heat Reply with quote

This has been an ongoing problem, lot's of stuff in the archives about it.  Not sure if anyone has really determined 100% what the cause is but there has been lot's of speculation and remediation techniques discussed.  Some of the possible problems are:

-Air leakage through the heat boxes on the firewall
-Radiated heat via the firewall
-Radiated heat from the exhaust/engine cooling
-radiated heat from the SCAT tube running through the tunnel

I believe Tim used silicon baffle material as a thermal break when he attached the firewall cabin heat vent boxes which is probably a good idea.  I used a ceramic paint additive and painted the inside of the firewall, tunnel, and floor.  I also sprayed my acoustic material in the same areas which may add some additional insulating capacity (doubtful but anything helps).  I may also use the standard firewall insulation but that stuff doesn't work very well unless you can keep it completely air sealed against the firewall.  The last thing I am going to try to avoid this problem is to use insulated duct instead of regular SCAT.  The stuff is hard to find, and a lot more expensive, but heat is a serious problem living in Texas (at least to someone from Wisconsin Wink) and I really want to keep it controlled.

Michael Sausen
RV-10 #352 Working on Fuselage
Do Not Archive

--

Tdawson(at)avidyne.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: tunnel heat Reply with quote

Michael, can you report a source for your insulated SCAT?

TDT

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of RV Builder (Michael Sausen)
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 10:09 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: tunnel heat

This has been an ongoing problem, lot's of stuff in the archives about it.  Not sure if anyone has really determined 100% what the cause is but there has been lot's of speculation and remediation techniques discussed.  Some of the possible problems are:

I believe Tim used silicon baffle material as a thermal break when he attached the firewall cabin heat vent boxes which is probably a good idea.  I used a ceramic paint additive and painted the inside of the firewall, tunnel, and floor.  I also sprayed my acoustic material in the same areas which may add some additional insulating capacity (doubtful but anything helps).  I may also use the standard firewall insulation but that stuff doesn't work very well unless you can keep it completely air sealed against the firewall.  The last thing I am going to try to avoid this problem is to use insulated duct instead of regular SCAT.  The stuff is hard to find, and a lot more expensive, but heat is a serious problem living in Texas (at least to someone from Wisconsin Wink) and I really want to keep it controlled.

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive

--

tgesele(at)optonline.net

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: tunnel heat Reply with quote

Has anyone considered installing a small blast tube off the baffles and dumping the air directly into the tunnel? Seems like coupling that with some firewall insulation on the forward side would resolve the heat situation (or am I missing something)?

Tom Gesele #473
Quote:

rvbuilder(at)sausen.net

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: tunnel heat Reply with quote

Umm, where did I put that link.  The problem I've had is finding anything insulated in 2" and the only thing I have been able to come up with is a product called Flex-vest.  I can't seem to find a link that has a price again but most sites that sell it will give a quote.  I believe when I looked at it a couple months ago it was around $20 a foot, yikes!  Google Flex-vest and you should get some hits.  Here is an example link:

<http://www.flexaust.com/industrial/product_selector.asp?id=61&detail=1>

I might check with a local HVAC guy and see if there is something more common for less money.  I would think you could find some flexible & insulated ducting near that size for the newer high velocity HVAC systems.

Another option is to take the standard SCAT and wrap it with common pipe insulating wrap.

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive
Recent RV-10 Build Activity

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Tim Dawson-Townsend
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 9:29 AM

TDT

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of RV Builder (Michael Sausen)

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive

--

rvbuilder(at)sausen.net

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: tunnel heat Reply with quote

One problem with that solution is the air needs someplace to go.  Either into the cabin or back into the cowl.  I will try to airseal my cabin as much as possible to provide for a quieter and more controlled environment and have an exhaust flap, if needed, (similar to what modern autos have) in the rear bulkhead.

Also, every additional firewall penetration will speed up a fire spreading into the cockpit.

Someone suggested a small computer fan to circulate air through the tunnel.  This is probably the best idea after trying to prevent the heat as much as possible.

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Tom Gesele
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 9:26 AM

Has anyone considered installing a small blast tube off the baffles and dumping the air directly into the tunnel? Seems like coupling that with some firewall insulation on the forward side would resolve the heat situation (or am I missing something)?

Tom Gesele #473
Quote:

Tim(at)MyRV10.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: tunnel heat Reply with quote

Mike did a good job on this post. I personally see that the
heat from the exhaust, with the heater valve closed, would
tend to build up hot due to the slow moving hot air and small
leakage at the valve to the outside. Then those heater valve
boxes get hot, and it transfers into the tunnel area, esp.
by the firewall. When you're running cabin heat, you'd
maybe get a little less at the heater valve since the air
is flowing more, but you may get more radiating from the
SCAT in the tunnel area. Ventilating the tunnel may work, but
you would want to ensure no moisture enters or you may
end up with corrosion tendencies.

What I did was use 1/8" silicone baffle gasket material
to make a gasket between the heater box and firewall. This
should help prevent the metal to metal conductive transfer
a bit. I checked out Phenolic, but it's temp rating was
really low, and the silicone baffle is good for 500 deg +
or so. Then, in addition, I have a 1" or maybe it's 1.25"
SCAT flange attached to my right rear baffle and the SCAT
tube just runs down and connects to the firewall in a way
that allows it to blast air onto the heater valves. This
idea was had after talking to Randy, who was one of the few
people not reporting extremely hot tunnels. Randy had a
blast tube that ran to his fuel pump (engine mounted) if
I remember right, and he felt that maybe he had no problems
because the excess air from the fuel pump area was also
cooling the nearby vent boxes. So I tried to just use
a tube to do that directly. In my experience, on the SNF
trip, I pulled my shoes and was able to hold my foot against
the tunnel indefinitely, but it was still "hot". Some people
had reported it would definitely burn them, but mine is
not that hot. In addition, I have reflective firewall insulation
lining my tunnel which may help too.

Other things to consider: If your tunnel is hot, your fuel
lines in there will have a higher likelyhood of producing
fuel vapor. If you use the standard fuel valve, you
still may be fine, but during times when you use rear heat
you'll be running hot air next to your valve. In my install,
the SCAT runs next to only the long shaft that runs the
fuel valve.

One other builder got something like 6" exhaust extensions that
moved the exhaust away from the belly a bit. He said it
got cooler and quieter. I believe him, but, I think 6" would
be a little long, and the exhaust is still going to go right
past the bottom corner of the firewall....it's just going to
exit further away.

And a note on defroster fans. I had thought that I may want
to pipe hot air from the heater system or tunnel up to
my defroster fan. I don't think it's worth it anymore, and here's
why. In the winter you turn on the heat. The heat flows
up under the panel area anyway. My GRT EIS easily was reading
in the 90-110 deg. range in the panel. So all that hot
air is readily available to be blown on the windshield. I leave
my fan on year round, since in the summer it might be best to
exhaust some of that hot air from my avionics anyway.

So that's more than you wanted to read on heat today. Wink
Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD - Flying
do not archive
RV Builder (Michael Sausen) wrote:
[quote] This has been an ongoing problem, lot's of stuff in the archives about
it. Not sure if anyone has really determined 100% what the cause is but
there has been lot's of speculation and remediation techniques
discussed. Some of the possible problems are:

I believe Tim used silicon baffle material as a thermal break when he
attached the firewall cabin heat vent boxes which is probably a good
idea. I used a ceramic paint additive and painted the inside of the
firewall, tunnel, and floor. I also sprayed my acoustic material in the
same areas which may add some additional insulating capacity (doubtful
but anything helps). I may also use the standard firewall insulation
but that stuff doesn't work very well unless you can keep it completely
air sealed against the firewall. The last thing I am going to try to
avoid this problem is to use insulated duct instead of regular SCAT.
The stuff is hard to find, and a lot more expensive, but heat is a
serious problem living in Texas (at least to someone from Wisconsin Wink)
and I really want to keep it controlled.

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive

--

zackrv8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: tunnel heat Reply with quote

Well....I'm not at that point of construction yet, but the tunnel heat does concern me. Looking at many of the Rv10 projects on the web, it seems Van's has the 2 triangular shaped heat valves (same one I have in my RV8) aiming the exhaust port at each other. This hot air is always pointing at each other until you open the valve for cabin heat.

Part of the tunnel heat problem could be as what Tim ond others have said...heat conducting through the valve and radiating into the tunnel. Also, if the heat valve(s) are the very same ones that I bought from Vans (I believe they are), then they don't "seal" very well. If you have a blast of hot air aiming at them constantly, (try experimenting with the valve in your hand and blow some air with your air hose at the outlet side and see what happens) they could possible leak and that hot air is forced down the tunnel through a "leaky" valve. Maybe a solution would be to not point the exhaust ports at each other and/or make a gasket to provide a better seal.

Just a thought but it's possible.

Zack

RV8 #80125
RV10 # 40512
flysrv10(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: tunnel heat Reply with quote

I taped my heater valves shut and the problem is essentially solved
for the time being. I think that the problem is in the valves. They
do not seal. After hearing of the problem, I even created a gasket to
seal the valves when they are shut. Apprently not good enough.

The solution might be in some talented person with a good machine shop
producing a valve with positive seal.

Do not archive

On 4/25/06, zackrv8 <zackrv8(at)verizon.net> wrote:
Quote:

Well....I'm not at that point of construction yet, but the tunnel heat does concern me. Looking at many of the Rv10 projects on the web, it seems Van's has the 2 triangular shaped heat valves (same one I have in my RV8) aiming the exhaust port at each other. This hot air is always pointing at each other until you open the valve for cabin heat.

Part of the tunnel heat problem could be as what Tim ond others have said...heat conducting through the valve and radiating into the tunnel. Also, if the heat valve(s) are the very same ones that I bought from Vans (I believe they are), then they don't "seal" very well. If you have a blast of hot air aiming at them constantly, (try experimenting with the valve in your hand and blow some air with your air hose at the outlet side and see what happens) they could possible leak and that hot air is forced down the tunnel through a "leaky" valve. Maybe a solution would be to not point the exhaust ports at each other and/or make a gasket to provide a better seal.

Zack

--------
RV8 #80125
RV10 # 40512

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=30585#30585

zackrv8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: tunnel heat Reply with quote

I'll pass this on to Dave and see what he can come up with.

Zack

Do not archive

Quote:

Zack

--------
RV8 #80125
RV10 # 40512

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=30585#30585
[/quote]

RV8 #80125
RV10 # 40512
mike(at)cleavelandtool.co

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: tunnel heat Reply with quote

I had been planning on a second valve as a "heat dump" so the firewall valve
is cold. After hearing this it sounds like this is an even better idea.
Really shutting off the heat has always been a problem in the -4. That
said, any of you that have the engine install done... is there room for
another T valve?

Mike Lauritsen
Cleaveland Aircraft Tool
2225 First St.
Boone, Iowa 50036
515-432-6794
mike(at)cleavelandtool.com
--

flysrv10(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: tunnel heat Reply with quote

Great!

Do not archive

Quote:

I'll pass this on to Dave and see what he can come up with.

Zack

Do not archive

On 4/25/06, zackrv8 wrote:

>
>
> Well....I'm not at that point of construction yet, but the tunnel heat does concern me. Looking at many of the Rv10 projects on the web, it seems Van's has the 2 triangular shaped heat valves (same one I have in my RV8) aiming the exhaust port at each other. This hot air is always pointing at each other until you open the valve for cabin heat.
>
> Part of the tunnel heat problem could be as what Tim ond others have said...heat conducting through the valve and radiating into the tunnel. Also, if the heat valve(s) are the very same ones that I bought from Vans (I believe they are), then they don't "seal" very well. If you have a blast of hot air aiming at them constantly, (try experimenting with the valve in your hand and blow some air with your air hose at the outlet side and see what happens) they could possible leak and that hot air is forced down the tunnel through a "leaky" valve. Maybe a solution would be to not point the exhaust ports at each other and/or make a gasket to provide a better seal.
>
> Just a thought but it's possible.
>
> Zack
>
> --------
> RV8 #80125
> RV10 # 40512
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=30585#30585
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

--------
RV8 #80125
RV10 # 40512

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=30611#30611

jesse(at)itecusa.org

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: tunnel heat Reply with quote

I have a hard time believing that the scat tubes are causing the tunnel to get so hot.  There is only heat going through them when the heater is on, and then the air is flowing through into the cabin, so the cabin is also heating up.  Am I missing something?

I N256H we have not noticed any excessive heat in the tunnel and it has flown over 200 hours.  We haven’t paid a lot of attention to it, but in that much airtime, I would think the issue would show up.  We didn’t do anything special to insulate it.

Jesse Saint
I-TEC, Inc.
jesse(at)itecusa.org (jesse(at)itecusa.org)
www.itecusa.org
352-465-4545

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Tim Dawson-Townsend

TDT

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive

--

Tdawson(at)avidyne.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: tunnel heat Reply with quote

What an airplane that the only thing we have to complain about or discuss is a little extra heat in the tunnel!

TDT
Do not archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Jesse Saint
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 2:33 PM

I have a hard time believing that the scat tubes are causing the tunnel to get so hot.  There is only heat going through them when the heater is on, and then the air is flowing through into the cabin, so the cabin is also heating up.  Am I missing something?

I N256H we have not noticed any excessive heat in the tunnel and it has flown over 200 hours.  We haven’t paid a lot of attention to it, but in that much airtime, I would think the issue would show up.  We didn’t do anything special to insulate it.

Jesse Saint
I-TEC, Inc.
www.itecusa.org
352-465-4545

TDT

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive

--

rvbuilder(at)sausen.net

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: tunnel heat Reply with quote

Jesse,

If the vent boxes are leaking heated air into the SCAT it will indeed radiate heat.  Sounds like you got lucky and have some tightly closing vent boxes.  Or maybe much in the same way Randy doesn't have much of a problem, you did something in the engine compartment to negate it.  Like others have said it is probably a combination of different things, but it is a problem and it does exist on others -10's as has been reported. 

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Jesse Saint
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 1:33 PM

Jesse Saint
I-TEC, Inc.
www.itecusa.org
352-465-4545

TDT

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive

--

jesse(at)itecusa.org

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: tunnel heat Reply with quote

We actually used some RTV and wax paper to seal the vents.  When it is cured, the wax paper is removed and the RTV stays on one part that will seal against the other part.  It seems to have worked.

Jesse Saint
I-TEC, Inc.
www.itecusa.org
352-465-4545

Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 2:03 PM

Jesse,

If the vent boxes are leaking heated air into the SCAT it will indeed radiate heat.  Sounds like you got lucky and have some tightly closing vent boxes.  Or maybe much in the same way Randy doesn't have much of a problem, you did something in the engine compartment to negate it.  Like others have said it is probably a combination of different things, but it is a problem and it does exist on others -10's as has been reported. 

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive

Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 1:33 PM

Jesse Saint
I-TEC, Inc.
www.itecusa.org
352-465-4545

TDT

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive

--

dlm46007(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: tunnel heat Reply with quote

thanks for all the replies; now for a real heart breaker. Your tax dollars at work....

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=20396

[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: