Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firewall Pass Through w/Service Loop Concept

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Firewall Pass Through w/Service Loop Concept Reply with quote

Having recently had to re-wire and reconfigure some electrical on both sides of my firewall I am convinced there is a simpler (but more expensive) way to access wires coming through the firewall.
My current configuration are a couple of Cannon or Amphenol connectors used as my firewall pass through. I assume most of us have a similar configuration. While this is not too difficult as one is building, changes after flying can be extremely difficult due to all the “aviation” crap in the way. The firewall side can be difficult but the upside down and backwards nature of under panel repairs begs for a better solution. It seems like a simple service loop on both sides of the panel would be a easy fix. The service loop of 12-18” would allow one to remotely mount the connector(s) to a position of better access. Or firewall mounting with a release bracket to give better access to the wires.
My ideal setup would be either 36-48 pre-wired jumper lengths. Maybe all one gauge wire or half one gauge, half smaller gauge wires. A couple of pass through units should be enough to solve most wiring issues.
My question is… Does this solution already exist or are people doing something else to solve this challenge that I don’t know about?

Robin

[img]cid:image001.jpg(at)01CB34C9.26005D20[/img]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List

image001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.55 KB
 Viewed:  2379 Time(s)

image001.jpg

ceengland(at)bellsouth.ne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Firewall Pass Through w/Service Loop Concept Reply with quote

On 8/5/2010 8:08 PM, Robin Marks wrote:
Quote:

Having recently had to re-wire and reconfigure some electrical on both
sides of my firewall I am convinced there is a simpler (but more
expensive) way to access wires coming through the firewall.

My current configuration are a couple of Cannon or Amphenol connectors
used as my firewall pass through. I assume most of us have a similar
configuration. While this is not too difficult as one is building,
changes after flying can be extremely difficult due to all the
“aviation” crap in the way. The firewall side can be difficult but the
upside down and backwards nature of under panel repairs begs for a
better solution. It seems like a simple service loop on both sides of
the panel would be a easy fix. The service loop of 12-18” would allow
one to remotely mount the connector(s) to a position of better access.
Or firewall mounting with a release bracket to give better access to
the wires.

My ideal setup would be either 36-48 pre-wired jumper lengths. Maybe
all one gauge wire or half one gauge, half smaller gauge wires. A
couple of pass through units should be enough to solve most wiring issues.

My question is… Does this solution already exist or are people doing
something else to solve this challenge that I don’t know about?

Robin

Valid concept to ease servicing, but the firewall pass-through

connectors could be eliminated. Just use the stainless tube idea (as
seen on this list) & run the wire continuous from the engine side to the
cockpit side connector.
Charlie

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

kearney

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Firewall Pass Through w/Service Loop Concept Reply with quote

Robin
Keep in mind that the firewall serves to protect you in the diving of an engine compartment fire. My guess is that the AMP plug would be gone in seconds and then you would have all sorts of nasties coming through.
Cheers
Les

Sent from my iPhone

On 2010-08-05, at 7:08 PM, Robin Marks <robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com (robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com)> wrote:

[quote]
Having recently had to re-wire and reconfigure some electrical on both sides of my firewall I am convinced there is a simpler (but more expensive) way to access wires coming through the firewall.
My current configuration are a couple of Cannon or Amphenol connectors used as my firewall pass through. I assume most of us have a similar configuration. While this is not too difficult as one is building, changes after flying can be extremely difficult due to all the “aviation” crap in the way. The firewall side can be difficult but the upside down and backwards nature of under panel repairs begs for a better solution. It seems like a simple service loop on both sides of the panel would be a easy fix. The service loop of 12-18” would allow one to remotely mount the connector(s) to a position of better access. Or firewall mounting with a release bracket to give better access to the wires.
My ideal setup would be either 36-48 pre-wired jumper lengths. Maybe all one gauge wire or half one gauge, half smaller gauge wires. A couple of pass through units should be enough to solve most wiring issues.
My question is… Does this solution already exist or are people doing something else to solve this challenge that I don’t know about?

Robin

[b]

robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Firewall Pass Through w/Service Loop Concept Reply with quote

Les, if that reply is in reference to my concept I don’t see the functional difference between mine the traditional construction. The firewall is unchanged from most builds, a standard Cannon or Amphenol connection as your physical pass through. I am just trying to extend the reach of the plugs for easier access.

Thanks,
Robin  

From: owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Les Kearney
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2010 7:13 PM
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com (rv-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: Firewall Pass Through w/Service Loop Concept

Robin

Keep in mind that the firewall serves to protect you in the diving of an engine compartment fire. My guess is that the AMP plug would be gone in seconds and then you would have all sorts of nasties coming through. 

Cheers

Les

Sent from my iPhone

On 2010-08-05, at 7:08 PM, Robin Marks <robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com (robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Robin

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

[quote][b]

pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Firewall Pass Through w/Service Loop Concept Reply with quote

I think that the real answer to your question would be to use the tube method as mentioned, and use one long wire through the firewall.  No need for the firewall connectors in that case.  Especially if you plan to re-wire the connectors to extend them.   If you decide to go the  tube route,  use a q-tip to  spread a thin film of red silicone inside the tube.  When all the wires are in, fill the forward end with red silicone .... not the whole tube.  Makes it easier to add more wires later.  If you just extend the wires from the bulkhead, you still have the same problem when you go to add wires ..... and you pay a cost and weight penalty.  The weight is not much (cost is) but it all adds up.
Linn

Robin Marks wrote: [quote]
Les, if that reply is in reference to my concept I don’t see the functional difference between mine the traditional construction. The firewall is unchanged from most builds, a standard Cannon or Amphenol connection as your physical pass through. I am just trying to extend the reach of the plugs for easier access.

Thanks,
Robin  

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: