Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brownsville California Photos - Inspiration!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Brownsville California Photos - Inspiration! Reply with quote

We flew up to Brownsville California on Saturday and since the RV-8 had just had baby's first bath since the test flight (now at 85 hours TTSN, and almost 10,000 miles), there were some great opportunities for photo ops. Everyday I seem to enjoy flying the RV-8 even more. It is truly a joy to fly in every respect. On the way home, I had the IO-390 engine dialed in at 7000ft, 22.4" MP / 2200 RPM and 204 MPH True at 8.8 GPH. Earlier in the week I took it to 18,000ft (on oxygen) and was seeing 170 MPH True at 5.5 GPH, 192 MPH (at) 6.5 GPH, and 202 MPG (at) 7 GPH. At the 5.5 GPH, that's about a 1300 mile range less reserves. Coupled with the 3000+ FPM climb solo, its a truly amazing machine!

Keep at it! You won't be sorry! It is so worth all the hard work!
-
Matt Dralle
RV-8 #82880 N998RV
http://www.mattsrv8.com - Matt's RV-8 Construction Log
http://www.youtube.com/MattsRV8 - Matt's RV-8 HDTV YouTube Channel

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List

2010.08.14_-_RV-8_-_Trip_To_Brownsville_California_(4).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  161.37 KB
 Viewed:  4370 Time(s)

2010.08.14_-_RV-8_-_Trip_To_Brownsville_California_(4).jpg

2010.08.14_-_RV-8_-_Trip_To_Brownsville_California_(3).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  252.16 KB

2010.08.14_-_RV-8_-_Trip_To_Brownsville_California_(3).jpg

2010.08.14_-_RV-8_-_Trip_To_Brownsville_California_(8).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  182.42 KB

2010.08.14_-_RV-8_-_Trip_To_Brownsville_California_(8).jpg

2010.08.14_-_RV-8_-_Trip_To_Brownsville_California_(11).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  171.45 KB

2010.08.14_-_RV-8_-_Trip_To_Brownsville_California_(11).jpg

2010.08.14_-_RV-8_-_Trip_To_Brownsville_California_(6).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  231.9 KB

2010.08.14_-_RV-8_-_Trip_To_Brownsville_California_(6).jpg

2010.08.14_-_RV-8_-_Trip_To_Brownsville_California_(5).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  244.21 KB

2010.08.14_-_RV-8_-_Trip_To_Brownsville_California_(5).jpg

2010.08.14_-_RV-8_-_Trip_To_Brownsville_California_(7).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  151.04 KB

2010.08.14_-_RV-8_-_Trip_To_Brownsville_California_(7).jpg

2010.08.14_-_RV-8_-_Trip_To_Brownsville_California_(2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  168.06 KB

2010.08.14_-_RV-8_-_Trip_To_Brownsville_California_(2).jpg

gptyler(at)metrocast.net

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Brownsville California Photos - Inspiration! Reply with quote

I do not want to suspend belief but I have never seen anything near a 3000
ft per min climb in my -6. What am I doing wrong. BTW very good looking
air plane
--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jsflyrv(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Brownsville California Photos - Inspiration! Reply with quote

That is an exceptional climb rate Matt with your empty weight, but I
have never flown behind a IO-390 either.Smile beautiful airplane, whens it
coming up North?

Jerry

Matt Dralle wrote:
Quote:
We flew up to Brownsville California on Saturday and since the RV-8 had just had baby's first bath since the test flight (now at 85 hours TTSN, and almost 10,000 miles), there were some great opportunities for photo ops. Everyday I seem to enjoy flying the RV-8 even more. It is truly a joy to fly in every respect. On the way home, I had the IO-390 engine dialed in at 7000ft, 22.4" MP / 2200 RPM and 204 MPH True at 8.8 GPH. Earlier in the week I took it to 18,000ft (on oxygen) and was seeing 170 MPH True at 5.5 GPH, 192 MPH (at) 6.5 GPH, and 202 MPG (at) 7 GPH. At the 5.5 GPH, that's about a 1300 mile range less reserves. Coupled with the 3000+ FPM climb solo, its a truly amazing machine!

Keep at it! You won't be sorry! It is so worth all the hard work!
Matt Dralle
RV-8 #82880 N998RV

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Brownsville California Photos - Inspiration! Reply with quote

Well, solo weight + half tanks + IO-390's 210-215 hp + constant speed + cool day = 3000+ fpm. Try pulling it back harder! Smile

Matt
At 03:15 PM 8/15/2010 Sunday, George Tyler wrote:
[quote]

I do not want to suspend belief but I have never seen anything near a 3000
ft per min climb in my -6. What am I doing wrong. BTW very good looking
air plane
--

Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Brownsville California Photos - Inspiration! Reply with quote

Oh, and I forgot one other thing: 20+ GPH! Wink

Matt
At 07:47 PM 8/15/2010 Sunday, you wrote:
[quote]
Well, solo weight + half tanks + IO-390's 210-215 hp + constant speed + cool day = 3000+ fpm. Try pulling it back harder! Smile

Matt
At 03:15 PM 8/15/2010 Sunday, George Tyler wrote:
>
>
>I do not want to suspend belief but I have never seen anything near a 3000
>ft per min climb in my -6. What am I doing wrong. BTW very good looking
>air plane
>--

Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Brownsville California Photos - Inspiration! Reply with quote

I was thinking about bopping on up North for Homecoming, but haven't decided for sure yet. I definitely want to get up and show it off! Smile I really wanted to get it painted before I showed it off too much, but I'm having too much fun flying it to take it down for 5-6 weeks for paint!

We're planning a trip to Orcus Island in late September. Its about 760 miles from Livermore to Orcus. If I manage my fuel right, I should be able to do it on one tank full at altitude. But I don't know if my "tank" will last that long. 4 hours is a long time to be sitting in one place. I'll probably make a stop alone the way for a stretch, a drain, and a fill. I've been dreaming about flying an RV to Orcus since we drove there around 2002. Lot's of great B&B's and a sweet little airport. I'd love to buzz over to Vancouver Island too. Has anyone had any experience getting into Canada lately in an RV? I think my passport just expired. Do you need one now?

Matt

At 03:57 PM 8/15/2010 Sunday, you wrote:
Quote:

That is an exceptional climb rate Matt with your empty weight, but I have never flown behind a IO-390 either.Smile beautiful airplane, whens it coming up North?

Jerry

Matt Dralle wrote:
>We flew up to Brownsville California on Saturday and since the RV-8 had just had baby's first bath since the test flight (now at 85 hours TTSN, and almost 10,000 miles), there were some great opportunities for photo ops. Everyday I seem to enjoy flying the RV-8 even more. It is truly a joy to fly in every respect. On the way home, I had the IO-390 engine dialed in at 7000ft, 22.4" MP / 2200 RPM and 204 MPH True at 8.8 GPH. Earlier in the week I took it to 18,000ft (on oxygen) and was seeing 170 MPH True at 5.5 GPH, 192 MPH (at) 6.5 GPH, and 202 MPG (at) 7 GPH. At the 5.5 GPH, that's about a 1300 mile range less reserves. Coupled with the 3000+ FPM climb solo, its a truly amazing machine!
>
>Keep at it! You won't be sorry! It is so worth all the hard work!
>
>Matt Dralle

-
Matt Dralle
RV-8 #82880 N998RV

pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Brownsville California Photos - Inspiration! Reply with quote

Matt Dralle wrote:
Quote:

I was thinking about bopping on up North for Homecoming, but haven't decided for sure yet. I definitely want to get up and show it off! Smile I really wanted to get it painted before I showed it off too much, but I'm having too much fun flying it to take it down for 5-6 weeks for paint!

That didn't surprise you, did it???

Quote:
We're planning a trip to Orcus Island in late September. Its about 760 miles from Livermore to Orcus. If I manage my fuel right, I should be able to do it on one tank full at altitude. But I don't know if my "tank" will last that long. 4 hours is a long time to be sitting in one place.
From my reply on another list about bigger tanks:

It's been my experience that as the pilot ages the planned legs get
shorter too. Razz
I'm a believer that it's the journey that's more important than the
destination. I plan on 2 hour legs ..... depending on fuel prices .....
so I can poke around in T-hangars. I see many surprising things and
talk to so many interesting people along the way. It all depends on the
mission, I guess.
Quote:
I'll probably make a stop alone the way for a stretch, a drain, and a fill.
I'm past being in a hurry to get somewhere. There is so much to see

along the way ..... the anomalies in the countryside that folks on the
interstate are blissfully aware of. Memories of a green polka dot in
the middle of a brown desert, huge copper strip mines, and an aquaduct
flowing out of the face of a cliff to meander across the valley .... are
favorites. Always fly with your camera handy.
Quote:
I've been dreaming about flying an RV to Orcus since we drove there around 2002. Lot's of great B&B's and a sweet little airport. I'd love to buzz over to Vancouver Island too. Has anyone had any experience getting into Canada lately in an RV? I think my passport just expired. Do you need one now?

I believe so.

Linn

Quote:
Matt

kearney

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Brownsville California Photos - Inspiration! Reply with quote

Matt

You will need a passport to return to the US. You will also need to master the intricacies of the US Customs eAPIS system to notify them of departure and return. Canada Customs. Is a breeze compared to the process used by CBP.

Cheers

Les

Sent from my iPhone

On 2010-08-17, at 1:08 PM, Matt Dralle <dralle(at)matronics.com> wrote:

Quote:

We're planning a trip to Orcus Island in late September. Its about 760 miles from Livermore to Orcus. If I manage my fuel right, I should be able to do it on one tank full at altitude. But I don't know if my "tank" will last that long. 4 hours is a long time to be sitting in one place. I'll probably make a stop alone the way for a stretch, a drain, and a fill. I've been dreaming about flying an RV to Orcus since we drove there around 2002. Lot's of great B&B's and a sweet little airport. I'd love to buzz over to Vancouver Island too. Has anyone had any experience getting into Canada lately in an RV? I think my passport just expired. Do you need one now?

Matt

At 03:57 PM 8/15/2010 Sunday, you wrote:
>
>
> That is an exceptional climb rate Matt with your empty weight, but I have never flown behind a IO-390 either.Smile beautiful airplane, whens it coming up North?
>
> Jerry
>
> Matt Dralle wrote:
>> We flew up to Brownsville California on Saturday and since the RV-8 had just had baby's first bath since the test flight (now at 85 hours TTSN, and almost 10,000 miles), there were some great opportunities for photo ops. Everyday I seem to enjoy flying the RV-8 even more. It is truly a joy to fly in every respect. On the way home, I had the IO-390 engine dialed in at 7000ft, 22.4" MP / 2200 RPM and 204 MPH True at 8.8 GPH. Earlier in the week I took it to 18,000ft (on oxygen) and was seeing 170 MPH True at 5.5 GPH, 192 MPH (at) 6.5 GPH, and 202 MPG (at) 7 GPH. At the 5.5 GPH, that's about a 1300 mile range less reserves. Coupled with the 3000+ FPM climb solo, its a truly amazing machine!
>>
>> Keep at it! You won't be sorry! It is so worth all the hard work!
>>
>> Matt Dralle
>
> -
> Matt Dralle
> RV-8 #82880 N998RV
> http://www.mattsrv8.com - Matt's RV-8 Construction Log
> http://www.youtube.com/MattsRV8 - Matt's RV-8 HDTV YouTube Channel
> Status: 90+ Hours TTSN - Enjoying Every Minute...

dougsnash

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Brownsville California Photos - Inspiration! Reply with quote

Matt, you might be able to con your way past Canada Customs to get into Canada without your passport (but not likely). However, my understanding is that the US Customs is pretty strict about having a valid one to get back into the US.

Also, be aware of the electronic manifest procedures and the correct flight planning before trying to cross the border in either direction. My understanding is that it is not that difficult once you have doen it but neithter government's customs agents have much of a sense of humor about the rules.

Sweet performance numbers on the new bird though

Doug MacDonald
RV-4 newbie
NW Ontario, Canada

Do Not Archive

Quote:
Vancouver Island too.  Has anyone had any experience
getting into Canada lately in an RV?  I think my
passport just expired.  Do you need one now?

Matt

swayze(at)europa.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Brownsville California Photos - Inspiration! Reply with quote

At 10:08 AM 8/17/2010, you wrote:
Quote:

I was thinking about bopping on up North for Homecoming, but haven't
decided for sure yet. I definitely want to get up and show it
off! Smile I really wanted to get it painted before I showed it off
too much, but I'm having too much fun flying it to take it down for
5-6 weeks for paint!

Matt,

I, for one, would be very happy to see you bring her up to
Homecoming. We see a number of new, unpainted aircraft every year and
it's always a pleasure. Besides, your plane looks pretty good naked!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: