Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine Selection Rotax 914?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike M

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Engine Selection Rotax 914? Reply with quote

I am at the point in the build of my Europa XS Monowheel where I need to make a decision on engine selection. I have always considered the 914 the logical choice for the high density altitude airstrips where I fly at New Mexico, Utah and Colorado. Typical summer time density altitudes are at 7000 to 9000 ft in the morning and typical cruising altitudes are 9500 to 12500 MSL. I believe
the 914 will provide the performance margin needed in this environment. However, I am concerned that the 914 may have reliability or maintenance issues that would result in frequent maintenance actions or failure of components (TCU, turbo, boost pumps, etc) that would make life miserable for long cross country flights. I don’t have specific data that would suggest that the 914 has significant reliability or maintenance issues. I have read an account of an Europa owner that changed out his 914 for a 912S due to engine issues. I have over 400 hours of mostly trouble free operations with the Rotax 912S in my RANS S-18. I would install the 914 in my Europa in a heartbeat if I could expect similar reliability that I have experienced with the 912S. For those operating the Rotax 914, I would very much appreciate input on your operational experience with the 914. Should I be concerned about maintenance or reliability with the 914?

Mike Marker
Europa A197

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

kheindl(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Engine Selection Rotax 914? Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

The 914 would appear to be the ideal choice just for performance reasons. I can't talk about reliability, as I also have the 912s. I have flown straight across the American and the Canadian Rockies and have not found that to be a problem. In New Mexico I landed at Santa Fe. The nice thing about all Rocky Mountain airports is the fact that their runways are very long, i.e. 7000 and 8000 feet seem pretty common, as you well know. You have to ask yourself if the very high purchase cost is really worth the improved r.o.c. and better performance at the really high altitudes.
Karl
Quote:
Subject: Engine Selection Rotax 914?
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 04:41:31 -0700
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com

--> Europa-List message posted by: "janmarker" <mjwings(at)msn.com>

I am at the point in the build of my Europa XS Monowheel where I need to make a decision on engine selection. I have always considered the 914 the logical choice for the high density altitude airstrips where I fly at New Mexico, Utah and Colorado. Typical summer time density altitudes are at 7000 to 9000 ft in the morning and typical cruising altitudes are 9500 to 12500 MSL. I believe
the 914 will provide the performance margin needed in this environment. However, I am concerned that the 914 may have reliability or maintenance issues that would result in frequent maintenance actions or failure of components (TCU, turbo, boost pumps, etc) that would make life miserable for long cross country flights. I don’t have specific data that would suggest that the 914 has significant reliability or maintenance issues. I have read an account of an Europa owner that changed out his 914 for a 912S due to engine issues. I have over 400 hours of mostly trouble free operations with the Rotax 912S in my RANS S-18. I would install the 914 in my Europa in a heartbeat if I could expect similar reliability that I have experienced with the 912S. For those operating the Rotax 914, I would very much appreciate input on your operational experience with the 914. Should I be concerned about maintenance or reliability with the 914?

Mike Marker
Europa A197

--------
Mike Marker

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=309858#309858

======================
&gt=====================

Quote:

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

garrys(at)tampabay.rr.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Engine Selection Rotax 914? Reply with quote

I have owned and flown both the Rotax 912 and the 914, with about 500 hours each. I have not experience any reliability issues with either one, and from what I gather from Rotax mechanics and other owners, the 914 doesn't require any more maintenance than the 912. Living where you do, you shouldn't even consider the 912. The 914 is the ONLY way to go for you.

Garry Stout
--

paul.the.aviator(at)gmail

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Engine Selection Rotax 914? Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

I can echo Gary's comments.  I haven't encountered any particular reliability / maintenance concerns with my 914.  I did have an issue with crankcase fretting , but this is known to Rotax and isn't particularly a 914 issue.  It hasn't happened in the field very often, just call me 'lucky' I guess    Surprised)

If your able to afford it I would strongly encourage you to spend the extra.  I have flown mine out of places like Colarado Springs and places in the Canadian Rockies with DA's up to 8500' at MTOW and the performance has been outstanding. 

I have a Warp drive / Airmaster propeller, but I think there are better choices available these days.   With that said, a CS propeller is highly desirable in high DA / MTOW situtations.

Paul
N378PJ
[quote][b]

ken carp

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Engine Selection Rotax 914? Reply with quote

Have 550 hours on my Europa xs mono with 914. No sig problems. The turbo did stick one time after being unflown for two months. Easy to unstick and no further issues with the turbo. Had the clutch redone by lock wood at about 350 hours. Had a diaphragm in one carb split at 450 hours and lock wood came to the rescue on that as well. I don't think tHe last two probes were turbo related. I consider the 914 a reliable engine.
Ken Carpenter. 9XS

Sent from my iPad
Ken Carpenter

On Aug 23, 2010, at 4:41 AM, "janmarker" <mjwings(at)msn.com> wrote:

Quote:

Mike Marker
Europa A197

--------
Mike Marker

rampil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Selection Rotax 914? Reply with quote

I've do e some flying in and out of AEG and 1N1, and I completely concur.
The 914 is the only way to go out that way.

The 914 issue I am aware of concern cowl cooling and I think have mostly been solved

acrojim7534(at)YAHOO.COM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Engine Selection Rotax 914? Reply with quote

Mike

I have a 914 in my monowheel... We have logged almost 850 hours on the engine. In 2000 with about 43 hours on the plane we left Florida going to Arlington, Washington for the fly-in. On the trip out and return, and the side trips, we put almost 100 hours on the tach, with no problems...The turbo eliminates density altitude problems out west on takeoff's...

The engine has had some problems, but nothing serious, just normal operating items...We fly in the high teens if the winds are in our favor...I go 50 hours with oil changes, with no oil useage...We have replaced the Stator, Voltage regulator,about 20 hours ago. These are the only major items. Our engine is one of the early 914's, and at that time Rotax did not have in place the web site that they have now...Our learing curve was harder in under standing the engine, and how it needed to be run...Every one tried to operate them like the big bore engines..Low RPM"S .If you fly a lot in the high teens, you need to keep the plugs gapped at the minumium gap specified by Rotax..If the gap is set wide, the plugs will misfire ocassionally...The turbo will pull 40 inches MP on take-off here at sea level if I go full throttle on takeoff..

I have run the engine at 5300 and 32 inches MP since new on cross countries, and fuel burn averages 5.5 GPH, which results in 142.knots in speed.

I hope this answers some of your questions.....This is what works for me, other 914 drivers will have different approaches on how to run a 914.

Jim Brown

To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Mon, August 23, 2010 7:41:31 AM
Subject: Europa-List: Engine Selection Rotax 914?

--> Europa-List message posted by: "janmarker" <mjwings(at)msn.com (mjwings(at)msn.com)>

I am at the point in the build of my Europa XS Monowheel where I need to make a decision on engine selection. I have always considered the 914 the logical choice for the high density altitude airstrips where I fly at New Mexico, Utah and Colorado. Typical summer time density altitudes are at 7000 to 9000 ft in the morning and typical cruising altitudes are 9500 to 12500 MSL.  I believe

Mike Marker
Europa A197
--------
Mike Marker

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
[quote][b]

kevann(at)gotsky.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Engine Selection Rotax 914? Reply with quote

I have less than 250 hours so far on my mono-914. No issues so far.
I fly out of BIH on the East side of the Sierra and really like the
performance at altitude. I like being able to cruise over the big mountain
ranges at 17,000. I am currently up in Alaska, and I sure hope this little
914 is reliable!

Kevin, N211KA

n100rh(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Engine Selection Rotax 914? Reply with quote

Mike,
I might be able to help you with your choice of engines. I have stopped
building my Europa MG and have started parting out the components. I
have a zero time 914 for sale as well as a zero time Airmaster prop.
Please respond off the list if interested so as to not drag everyone
else through this...
Ralph Hallett n100rh(at)sbcglobal.net

Thanks,

Ralph

On 8/23/2010 4:41 AM, janmarker wrote:
Quote:

Mike Marker
Europa A197
--------
Mike Marker

steve5697

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Selection Rotax 914? Reply with quote

Hey Mike,
Would you be interested in selling your s18? You can email me offlist at himakenna(at)clearwire.net
thanks and sorry to highjack the thread!

creightonious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Selection Rotax 914? Reply with quote

Sorry to be late, but the 914 sounds perfect for you.
As a guy who opted for a 912, I must say that if you are going anywhere (North American style) the advantage of getting up there and riding the winds at 12000 (more with O2) the 914 is hard to beat. If you were to couple this with the 914's superior fuel economy above 7000ft, well, the defense rests.
Creighton A036

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: