Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine surging on RV 10 on Landing approach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whadath(at)rogers.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Engine surging on RV 10 on Landing approach Reply with quote

It has been my practice to enter the airport pattern on the right tank due to left hand circuits and in my experience mostly left hand crosswinds. This practice has served me well until recently.
I was coming back to Kitchener Ontario from Portsmouth NH just after hurricane Earl had moved up the US East coast and the winds were strong and gusting from the north west. The trip which usually takes 2.5 hrs took 3 hours and 40 minutes. Most of the trip I was grounding 120 to 125 kts but at times I was down to 107 kts.
As I approached my home airport I was cleared to a 4 mile final on runway 26 with reported winds  300 at 23 gusting 37 knots.
This gave me a 40 degree cross wind. I had 9 gals in the left and 7 gals in the right tank and had chosen the right tank for approach and landing. I was indicating 110 kts on approach but grounding 75. Runway 26 is 7500 feet and I had decided not to land at the threshold due to past experience with turbulence at the threshold of 26 due to some trees. I was planning to attempt touch down about ¼ way down the runway. The turbulence on approach was considerable and I need almost all of the left rudder to keep the right wing low and the aircraft lined up with the runway. As I came over the threshold the engine began to surge adding to the difficulty to keep the aircraft stable. I generally land power off so I decided rather than switch tanks I just pulled power to idle and continued with the landing. My major concern at the time was that this had now become a landing and not an attempt to land as I had no power to go around. As fortune would have it the turbulence subsided as I went into the flair and the landing was uneventful. I switched to left tank and taxied back to the hangar. My family was onboard and we talked about what had just happen and I said I would trouble shoot the problem as this was not a situation that I would like repeated.
I decided to drain the fuel tanks to confirm the gauges were accurate and yes they were and I had 9 gals in the left and 7 gals in the right. I pulled the gascolator and it was free of debris. I did a fuel flow test on each side and confirmed that the flows were good.
The weather was clear today so I decided to see if I could duplicate the surging but at 4000 feet.
The aircraft did not surge on either tank while taxiing or in cruise and in coordinated turns.
I turned on the boost pump put the selector on the right tank and was burning 13 gal/hr at 120 knots.  I set the timer, dropped the right wing and put in full left rudder to hold a steady heading.  31 seconds later the engine began to surge. I switched to the left tank and seconds later the engine recovered and ran smoothly. I repeated this experiment 3 times on the right tank and the interval was 31 to 35 seconds. I switched to the left tank and did the same tests and the results were the same.
I believe the fuel pick up which is located at the lowest corner of the fuel tank is being unported when the fuel moves to the wing extremities in these uncoordinated maneuvers.
I intend to do this experiment with more fuel in the tank to see at what fuel levels the pick up can be unported.  I will also test this on my F1 Rocket.
It looks like my pattern approach has to be rethought and cross winds considered when I select which tank to land on.
There does not seem to be an end to the stuff to learn in this endeavor.
Wayne Hadath
RV 10, 82 hrs
F1 Rocket, 435 hrs

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Tim Olson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Engine surging on RV 10 on Landing approach Reply with quote

Wayne, that is an awesome report....thanks! Fits in with a recent conversation on minimum useable fuel we just had here a couple weeks ago.
Tim

On Sep 20, 2010, at 7:19 PM, "Wayne Hadath" <whadath(at)rogers.com (whadath(at)rogers.com)> wrote:

[quote] st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) } <![endif]-->
It has been my practice to enter the airport pattern on the right tank due to left hand circuits and in my experience mostly left hand crosswinds. This practice has served me well until recently.
I was coming back to Kitchener Ontario from Portsmouth NH just after hurricane Earl had moved up the US East coast and the winds were strong and gusting from the north west. The trip which usually takes 2.5 hrs took 3 hours and 40 minutes. Most of the trip I was grounding 120 to 125 kts but at times I was down to 107 kts.
As I approached my home airport I was cleared to a 4 mile final on runway 26 with reported winds 300 at 23 gusting 37 knots.
This gave me a 40 degree cross wind. I had 9 gals in the left and 7 gals in the right tank and had chosen the right tank for approach and landing. I was indicating 110 kts on approach but grounding 75. Runway 26 is 7500 feet and I had decided not to land at the threshold due to past experience with turbulence at the threshold of 26 due to some trees. I was planning to attempt touch down about ¼ way down the runway. The turbulence on approach was considerable and I need almost all of the left rudder to keep the right wing low and the aircraft lined up with the runway. As I came over the threshold the engine began to surge adding to the difficulty to keep the aircraft stable. I generally land power off so I decided rather than switch tanks I just pulled power to idle and continued with the landing. My major concern at the time was that this had now become a landing and not an attempt to land as I had no power to go around. As fortune would have it the turbulence subsided as I went into the flair and the landing was uneventful. I switched to left tank and taxied back to the hangar. My family was onboard and we talked about what had just happen and I said I would trouble shoot the problem as this was not a situation that I would like repeated.
I decided to drain the fuel tanks to confirm the gauges were accurate and yes they were and I had 9 gals in the left and 7 gals in the right. I pulled the gascolator and it was free of debris. I did a fuel flow test on each side and confirmed that the flows were good.
The weather was clear today so I decided to see if I could duplicate the surging but at 4000 feet.
The aircraft did not surge on either tank while taxiing or in cruise and in coordinated turns.
I turned on the boost pump put the selector on the right tank and was burning 13 gal/hr at 120 knots. I set the timer, dropped the right wing and put in full left rudder to hold a steady heading. 31 seconds later the engine began to surge. I switched to the left tank and seconds later the engine recovered and ran smoothly. I repeated this experiment 3 times on the right tank and the interval was 31 to 35 seconds. I switched to the left tank and did the same tests and the results were the same.
I believe the fuel pick up which is located at the lowest corner of the fuel tank is being unported when the fuel moves to the wing extremities in these uncoordinated maneuvers.
I intend to do this experiment with more fuel in the tank to see at what fuel levels the pick up can be unported. I will also test this on my F1 Rocket.
It looks like my pattern approach has to be rethought and cross winds considered when I select which tank to land on.
There does not seem to be an end to the stuff to learn in this endeavor.
Wayne Hadath
RV 10, 82 hrs
F1 Rocket, 435 hrs

Quote:

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ehm6006

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Engine surging on RV 10 on Landing approach Reply with quote

Different airplane, but in my Beech Sierra maximum slip duration is
30 seconds.

Ed
On Sep 20, 2010, at 8:19 PM, Wayne Hadath wrote:

Quote:
<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal,
div.MsoNormal {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
{color:blue; text-decoration:underline;} a:visited,
span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple; text-
decoration:underline;} span.EmailStyle17 {mso-style-type:personal-
compose; font-family:Arial; color:windowtext;} (at)page Section1 {size:
8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;} div.Section1
{page:Section1;} -->
It has been my practice to enter the airport pattern on the right
tank due to left hand circuits and in my experience mostly left
hand crosswinds. This practice has served me well until recently.
I was coming back to Kitchener Ontario from Portsmouth NH just
after hurricane Earl had moved up the US East coast and the winds
were strong and gusting from the north west. The trip which usually
takes 2.5 hrs took 3 hours and 40 minutes. Most of the trip I was
grounding 120 to 125 kts but at times I was down to 107 kts.

As I approached my home airport I was cleared to a 4 mile final on
runway 26 with reported winds 300 at 23 gusting 37 knots.

This gave me a 40 degree cross wind. I had 9 gals in the left and 7
gals in the right tank and had chosen the right tank for approach
and landing. I was indicating 110 kts on approach but grounding 75.
Runway 26 is 7500 feet and I had decided not to land at the
threshold due to past experience with turbulence at the threshold
of 26 due to some trees. I was planning to attempt touch down about
¼ way down the runway. The turbulence on approach was considerable
and I need almost all of the left rudder to keep the right wing low
and the aircraft lined up with the runway. As I came over the
threshold the engine began to surge adding to the difficulty to
keep the aircraft stable. I generally land power off so I decided
rather than switch tanks I just pulled power to idle and continued
with the landing. My major concern at the time was that this had
now become a landing and not an attempt to land as I had no power
to go around. As fortune would have it the turbulence subsided as I
went into the flair and the landing was uneventful. I switched to
left tank and taxied back to the hangar. My family was onboard and
we talked about what had just happen and I said I would trouble
shoot the problem as this was not a situation that I would like
repeated.

I decided to drain the fuel tanks to confirm the gauges were
accurate and yes they were and I had 9 gals in the left and 7 gals
in the right. I pulled the gascolator and it was free of debris. I
did a fuel flow test on each side and confirmed that the flows were
good.

The weather was clear today so I decided to see if I could
duplicate the surging but at 4000 feet.

The aircraft did not surge on either tank while taxiing or in
cruise and in coordinated turns.

I turned on the boost pump put the selector on the right tank and
was burning 13 gal/hr at 120 knots. I set the timer, dropped the
right wing and put in full left rudder to hold a steady heading.
31 seconds later the engine began to surge. I switched to the left
tank and seconds later the engine recovered and ran smoothly. I
repeated this experiment 3 times on the right tank and the interval
was 31 to 35 seconds. I switched to the left tank and did the same
tests and the results were the same.

I believe the fuel pick up which is located at the lowest corner of
the fuel tank is being unported when the fuel moves to the wing
extremities in these uncoordinated maneuvers.

I intend to do this experiment with more fuel in the tank to see at
what fuel levels the pick up can be unported. I will also test
this on my F1 Rocket.

It looks like my pattern approach has to be rethought and cross
winds considered when I select which tank to land on.

There does not seem to be an end to the stuff to learn in this
endeavor.

Wayne Hadath

RV 10, 82 hrs

F1 Rocket, 435 hrs

www.matronics.com/contribution _-
============================================================

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: