Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3300 - low oil pressure at high RPM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: 3300 - low oil pressure at high RPM Reply with quote

A friend of mine just bought an Arion Lightning LSA with the 3300 engine. At cruise RPM, the oil pressure is fine, maybe 45 PSI. At idle it is fine, but I'm not sure what PSI he told me. The problem is at wide open throttle, during takeoff the oil pressure will drop to about 30 PSI, and at WOT in cruise flight the oil pressure drops to about 30 PSI.

What could be the problem? He added a washer to the pressure relief valve today after changing the oil but experienced the same problem in a ground run.

Any input would be appreciated.

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 3300 - low oil pressure at high RPM Reply with quote

The resistor type senders are very sensitive to partial grounds. We have the same issues on a FD CT. Fix the grounds to be more solid. Oil pressure senders are the first to show this because they are more sensitive than other instruments to poor grounds. Been there and done that on at least 15+ planes.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
matronics(at)rtist.nl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: 3300 - low oil pressure at high RPM Reply with quote

Steve,

I am translating your message and replacing the values you gave with the
range on the oil pressure gauge:

"A friend of mine just bought an Arion Lightning LSA with the 3300 engine.
At cruise RPM, the oil pressure is fine, in the green. At idle it is fine,
but I'm not sure what PSI he told me. The problem is at wide open throttle,
during takeoff the oil pressure will drop a bit but stays in the green, and
at WOT in cruise flight the oil pressure drops but stays in the green".

Unless your engine is an older one where the oil pump plate has not been
modified for cavitation, there is no problem.

Oh, and the washer does nothing. The relief valve opens at a high pressure
which you do not reach. Adding a washer will only raise the pressure at
which the relief valve opens, it does nothing for normal range operation.

Rob

---

flyadive(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: 3300 - low oil pressure at high RPM Reply with quote

Roger:

Your statement - Is that true of all electrical oil pressure sending units?
I fly mostly Lycoming engines, NOT because I want to just because that is what is on the planes.  When I see LOW oil pressure or HIGH oil temps in flight I do two things:
1 - Get my hart back under control.
2 - CROSSCHECK - Crosscheck Oil Temp against Oil Pressure and Oil Pressure against Oil Temp.
If you have High Oil Temps AND Low Oil Pressure - YOU GOT A PROBLEM
If you have High Oil Temps and Normal Oil Pressure - You should expect to see the Oil Temp come DOWN with the nose S&L and cruse power.
If you have Low Oil Temps and Normal Oil Pressure  - You have a bad Gage - More than likely
If you have Low Oil Pressure and Normal Oil Temps - You have a bad Gage - More than likely
If you have High Oil Pressure and Normal Oil Temps - JUST SMILE - I like that
On GA aircraft it has been the airframe manufacture that set the Oil Pressure requirements on the gage.  BIG FAA MISTAKE.  Cessna wanted to increase the Red Line on oil pressure from 100 PSI to 125 PSI... The FAA would not let them do that.  SOooooo what did Cessna do?  They moved the oil pressure pick up from the rear of the engine to the front AND increased the Oil Pressure..  That increased the Oil Pressure through out the engine whill STILL keeping the Gage Reading at 100 PSI Red Line  Smile  Smart Cookies!
Roger, is there REALLY a reason why you can't increase the Oil Pressure, 45 PSI sure sounds low?  I'm learning your engines, I'm not too bad on Lycoming - Rebuilt a few.
Barry

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 1:31 AM, Roger Lee <ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com (ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
[quote] --> JabiruEngine-List message posted by: "Roger Lee" <ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com (ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com)>

The resistor type senders are very sensitive to partial grounds. We have the same issues on a FD CT. Fix the grounds to be more solid. Oil pressure senders are the first to show this because they are more sensitive than other instruments to poor grounds. Been there and done that on at least 15+ planes.

--------
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
Light Sport Repairman - Maintenance Rated
Rotax Repair Center
520-574-1080

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=313176#313176

===========
-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

SteveR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 3300 - low oil pressure at high RPM Reply with quote

Rob,

According to my friend, it was actually below the green at high RPM (indicating 30psi, low redline is 32psi). The warning light on the panel illuminated, so I think it is probably lower than it should be. The gauge is an EIS, maybe the model 4000. My first guess was a bad ground. Is this gauge a resistor type? I assume so, being electronic.

My primary question is should a Jabiru exhibit such a large oil pressure drop when RPM is increased (from 45+psi down to 30psi)? Is that typical? If not, there is some type of problem, even if it is just instrumentation.

Thanks for the help so far!

Steve Ruse

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: 3300 - low oil pressure at high RPM Reply with quote

Having a low oil level will cause this because many oils will foam, then you start pump in some air and this reeks havoc on a sender and your internal parts. Some are more prone to foaming than others. If you use an electrical oil pressure sender then yes a poor ground can cause this. These are a resister type and very sensitive to poor grounding. I deal with this a lot in Flight Design CT's. If it were a mechanical type gauge with actual oil in it then no it wouldn't be the cause. Oil pressure senders are notorious for going bad. Like the Rotax, it uses a VDO oil pressure sender and they do go bad. If the pressure goes down on throttling up and then back up when throttle is reduced look definitely at the ground. If the gauge pegs out at the max look at the ground. If it drops to very low like 15-20 psi then most likely a sender or gauge, but I agree that in flight a quick cross checking to make sure it really is a sender and not a real low pressure issue is extremely prudent and I wouldn't fly it until I had a handle on the problem. The only sure way to check these is on the ground. Tie the plane down so you can run up the rpm. Put a mechanical gauge setup in line with the electronic sender and run the engine. Make sure that they read the same. 98% of the time when I do it this way the real engine oil pressure is ok and I find it is just the sender or the ground. So use good diagnostics on the ground and find the problem in an a to b to c to d logical diagnostic pattern.
p.s.
The sender or the gauge may have the poor ground.

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
Kayberg(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: 3300 - low oil pressure at high RPM Reply with quote

A Jabiru is not a Rotax by any stretch. Hence Rotax experience has little value here.

A Jabiru will run on half a cup of oil, the Rotax will not.

Actually, the Jabiru will do the oil pressure and temperature dance if it has too MUCH oil! They do not like being even slightly overfilled.

That being said, I do not have a lot of faith in VDO senders.  So I would agree with your suggestion of a temporary mechanical guage!!

Doug Koenigsberg

In a message dated 9/22/2010 10:45:51 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com writes:
Quote:

Having a low oil level will cause this because many oils will foam, then you start pump in some air and this reeks havoc on a sender and your internal parts. Some are more prone to foaming than others. If you use an electrical oil pressure sender then yes a poor ground can cause this. These are a resister type and very sensitive to poor grounding. I deal with this a lot in Flight Design CT's. If it were a mechanical type gauge with actual oil in it then no it wouldn't be the cause. Oil pressure senders are notorious for going bad. Like the Rotax, it uses a VDO oil pressure sender and they do go bad. If the pressure goes down on throttling up and then back up when throttle is reduced look definitely at the ground. If the gauge pegs out at the max look at the ground. If it drops to very low like 15-20 psi then most likely a sender or gauge, but I agree that in flight a quick cross checking to make sure it really is a sender and not a real low pressure issue is extremely pruden!
t and I wouldn't fly it until I had a handle on the problem. The only sure way to check these is on the ground. Tie the plane down so you can run up the rpm. Put a mechanical gauge setup in line with the electronic sender and run the engine. Make sure that they read the same. 98% of the time when I do it this way the real engine oil pressure is ok and I find it is just the sender or the ground. So use good diagnostics on the ground and find the problem in an a to b to c to d logical diagnostic pattern.
p.s.
The sender or the gauge may have the poor ground.

--------
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
Rotax Repair Center
520-574-1080

[quote][b]

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 3300 - low oil pressure at high RPM Reply with quote

Hi Doug,

I agree whole heartedly, a Jabiru is not a Rotax, but the gauges, sensors, senders and wire hook ups share many commonalities in wiring and they are the same company in many cases and have the same issues. The specific engine doesn't really matter. Wiring principles and all the above listed parts share a lot of commonalities.

The exact same rational can be used in different make cars. They are very different, but share electrical needs and wiring with the same principles.

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
Kayberg(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: 3300 - low oil pressure at high RPM Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

Good point that wiring is shared. Yes, there is a commonality in that regard.

However, Jabiru requires CHT's on each cylinder to warrantee the engine. Also recomends EGT's on each. Neither are necessary on a Rotax 912-S.

Conversely a water temp and water pressure is not needed on a Jabiru! They can be quite handy on a Rotax.

I think my real point is that using association as a troubleshooting technique can be misleading. The two have totally different oil systems and components. No need to "burp" a Jabiru. Oil cooler lines are a lower pressure with Rotax. Rotax engines turn nearly twice as fast as a Jabiru. Too much oil in a Jabiru can result in low oil pressure and high oil temps. Too much oil in a Rotax doesn't make much difference....it will just run out the tank overflow.

I know I am preaching to the choir, but just wanted to comment.

Doug

In a message dated 9/23/2010 1:22:27 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com writes:
Quote:

Hi Doug,

I agree whole heartedly, a Jabiru is not a Rotax, but the gauges, sensors, senders and wire hook ups share many commonalities in wiring and they are the same company in many cases and have the same issues. The specific engine doesn't really matter.

The exact same rational can be used in different make cars. They are very different, but share electrical needs and wiring with the same principles.

--------
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
Rotax Repair Center

[quote][b]

rpf(at)wi.rr.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: 3300 - low oil pressure at high RPM Reply with quote

Does anyone happen to know the thread type (size) for the oil pressure
sender on a Jabiru 3300 (1/8-27npt or 1/4-18npt)?

Thanks,
Randy
---

Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: 3300 - low oil pressure at high RPM Reply with quote

As mentioned by Pete here, the thread is metric, but the 1/8 NPT fits
it. I can verify that I ordered the 1/8 NPT, installed it and it does
work....on a 2200. This is the case with both of the useable oil
pressure ports.
Frankly, I don't understand why Jabiru would have tapped this to a
metric thread, when all (most all, as I've found) of the other
threads in the engine are good ol' USA threads, that is, either USC
or USF.

Lynn Matteson
Kitfox IV Speedster, taildragger
Jabiru 2200, #2062
Sensenich 62"x46" Wood (summer)
Electroair direct-fire ignition system
Rotec TBI-40 injection

On Sep 23, 2010, at 12:30 PM, Randy wrote:

Quote:

Does anyone happen to know the thread type (size) for the oil
pressure sender on a Jabiru 3300 (1/8-27npt or 1/4-18npt)?

Thanks,
Randy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: