Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auto engine conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rvbuilder(at)sausen.net

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Auto engine conversion Reply with quote

I spent a considerable amount of time looking into auto conversions with Eggs being the most promising.  I really did not want to put an old Lycosaur into my -10.  However I was unable to find any solid data to support some of the claims being made and he seems to be constantly 6 months or longer behind his scheduled delivery dates.  Even some of his staunchest supporters privately told me they wouldn't use his new engine in something like a -10 until it is proven over the next two years.  The new redrive, high operating RPM's, and past history of Egg claiming HP numbers that were shown to be wrong really put me off eventually.  Also, when I pushed the issue around constantly changing HP numbers I was banned from his group.  Nice!  It basically came down to a trust issue with me, I think Egg is probably genuine in his resolve that the engine can do what it says but I want real numbers on paper and Egg just would not do it.  With myself and 3 other souls on board I could not in good conscious select an unproven engine with NO real world data.  By going with Barrett I will pay more in fuel but I have 100% confidence in his reputation and his ability to deliver what he says.  Also having it run on the dyno helps Wink.

Now I know there are several -10 builders going with the Subie and I honestly wish them all the best and really hope the engine meets it's computed numbers (he does not dyno any engines) as this would be an excellent alternative to the engines we usually use.  I still think that it would be an excellent engine for any of the 2 seat RV's.  Not flaming Egg, just stating my opinions along with some facts.

Michael Sausen
RV-10 #352 Working on Fuselage
Do Not Archive
Recent RV-10 Build Activity

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Doerr, Ray R [NTK]
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 7:09 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Autogas for 540

No I would not buy another auto conversion.  I am an engineer and I don’t like what I’ve seen in terms of engineering for these firewall forward packages.  It is more like engineering by trial and error and unfortunately I had to be the guy that found an error.  That being said, I do think the Subaru is a great engine, but currently the displacement isn’t large enough for these engines to be running at 2700 RPM with no gear reduction drive.  Now is Subaru came out with a boxer 8 cylinder in the 5.0 liter range with dual plugs/ignition and dual built in alternators for them, a very small gear reduction drive that would maybe run the engine at 3,500 RPM with prop at 2700 would give a hassle free 2000+ hour TBO.  Some of the things I’ve found that were not addresses very well were Fuel delivery, location of the pumps (cabin, engine side of firewall, in the tank etc), air flow for oil and water coolers.
            Some of the other factors I’ve considered this time round is to ensure that everyone in the aviation industry can put a price on the components that make up my plane.  Example:  The engine even as a core as a define value, the Garmin components in the panel, the airframe, prop etc.  This way if I every needed to sell it/part it out for any reason, I could get a fair price for the individual piece.

Thank You
Ray Doerr
CDNI Principal Engineer
Sprint PCS
16020 West 113th Street
Lenexa, KS 66219
Mailstop KSLNXK0101
(913) 859-1414 (Office)
(913) 226-0106 (Pcs)
(913) 859-1234 (Fax)
Ray.R.Doerr(at)sprint.com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of McGANN, Ron
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2006 8:53 PM

A question for Ray Doerr, would you buy another auto engine conversion (eg Eggenfelner)?
From someone who has been there, I am sure the list would value your opinion.
cheers,
Ron
--

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Tdawson(at)avidyne.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Auto engine conversion Reply with quote

Frapper says there’s a guy in Ontario building a RV-10 with Corvette power . . .

Is he on the list?  Speak up!

TDT
Do not archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of RV Builder (Michael Sausen)
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 9:11 AM
Subject: Auto engine conversion

I spent a considerable amount of time looking into auto conversions with Eggs being the most promising.  I really did not want to put an old Lycosaur into my -10.  However I was unable to find any solid data to support some of the claims being made and he seems to be constantly 6 months or longer behind his scheduled delivery dates.  Even some of his staunchest supporters privately told me they wouldn't use his new engine in something like a -10 until it is proven over the next two years.  The new redrive, high operating RPM's, and past history of Egg claiming HP numbers that were shown to be wrong really put me off eventually.  Also, when I pushed the issue around constantly changing HP numbers I was banned from his group.  Nice!  It basically came down to a trust issue with me, I think Egg is probably genuine in his resolve that the engine can do what it says but I want real numbers on paper and Egg just would not do it.  With myself and 3 other souls on board I could not in good conscious select an unproven engine with NO real world data.  By going with Barrett I will pay more in fuel but I have 100% confidence in his reputation and his ability to deliver what he says.  Also having it run on the dyno helps Wink.

Now I know there are several -10 builders going with the Subie and I honestly wish them all the best and really hope the engine meets it's computed numbers (he does not dyno any engines) as this would be an excellent alternative to the engines we usually use.  I still think that it would be an excellent engine for any of the 2 seat RV's.  Not flaming Egg, just stating my opinions along with some facts.

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Doerr, Ray R [NTK]
No I would not buy another auto conversion.  I am an engineer and I don’t like what I’ve seen in terms of engineering for these firewall forward packages.  It is more like engineering by trial and error and unfortunately I had to be the guy that found an error.  That being said, I do think the Subaru is a great engine, but currently the displacement isn’t large enough for these engines to be running at 2700 RPM with no gear reduction drive.  Now is Subaru came out with a boxer 8 cylinder in the 5.0 liter range with dual plugs/ignition and dual built in alternators for them, a very small gear reduction drive that would maybe run the engine at 3,500 RPM with prop at 2700 would give a hassle free 2000+ hour TBO.  Some of the things I’ve found that were not addresses very well were Fuel delivery, location of the pumps (cabin, engine side of firewall, in the tank etc), air flow for oil and water coolers.
            Some of the other factors I’ve considered this time round is to ensure that everyone in the aviation industry can put a price on the components that make up my plane.  Example:  The engine even as a core as a define value, the Garmin components in the panel, the airframe, prop etc.  This way if I every needed to sell it/part it out for any reason, I could get a fair price for the individual piece.

Thank You
Ray Doerr
CDNI Principal Engineer
Sprint PCS
16020 West 113th Street
Lenexa, KS 66219
Mailstop KSLNXK0101
(913) 859-1414 (Office)
(913) 226-0106 (Pcs)
(913) 859-1234 (Fax)

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

steveadams

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Auto engine conversion Reply with quote

I decided to go with an auto conversion, so I yanked the hemi out of my Dodge 1/2 ton pickup. The low end power is great and it will cruise all day without a hitch. Acceleration and climb are a bit slow, but it really sounds pretty cool. I am having some cooling problems and am redesigning the air inlets which I hope will help. It's running mogas without any problems. Overall I think it will work out OK, but it burns a lot of gas and has cost me a lot. It's probably the first Dodge pickup running with an IO-540. Ohhhhh! You mean put a car engine in an airplane and fly around with my family in it? No thanks. Smile

jjessen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Auto engine conversion Reply with quote

LOL. You really had me going........!

do not archive

--

jesse(at)itecusa.org

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Auto engine conversion Reply with quote

Now that's good humor.

Do not archive.

Jesse Saint
I-TEC, Inc.
jesse(at)itecusa.org
www.itecusa.org
352-465-4545

--

effectus(at)rogers.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Auto engine conversion Reply with quote

I am the guy in Ontario.

After a thorough weight analysis the Corvette engine in the RV-10 proves too heavy. You will notice that the Frapper site now says the General instead of Corvette.I am currently looking into other aluminum block alternatives.

I will inform the group when I have made my decision.

Dave Hertner

[quote] ---

rvbuilder(at)sausen.net

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Auto engine conversion Reply with quote

I know what you mean, I've been trying to get my Dodge 3500's Cummins turbo diesel crammed under the cowl.  I mean geez, the thing is only a IO-360.  It should fit, right? It would be perfect at 305HP, 350,000 miles before overhaul, and it doesn't need a redrive.  LMAO

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive

--

johnwcox(at)pacificnw.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Auto engine conversion Reply with quote

Tim, try your request on a smaller auto engine conversion than the GM Corvette (that was some time ago) and he may speak up on the secret to auto conversions of all flavors. It is the design, engineering and manufacturing reliability of the PSRU.  I can’t say much more without his response.  Remember the goal is to keep from adding weight up front.  The fallacy of planes falling out of the sky with 261+ horsepower is already long gone.  Safety, Reliability, Serviceability… now those are adverbs we could dig our teeth into.

John - $00.02

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Tim Dawson-Townsend
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 8:36 AM
Subject: RE: Auto engine conversion

Frapper says there’s a guy in Ontario building a RV-10 with Corvette power . . .

Is he on the list?  Speak up!

TDT
Do not archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of RV Builder (Michael Sausen)
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 9:11 AM
Subject: Auto engine conversion

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive

Thank You
Ray Doerr
CDNI Principal Engineer
Sprint PCS
16020 West 113th Street
Lenexa, KS 66219
Mailstop KSLNXK0101
(913) 859-1414 (Office)
(913) 226-0106 (Pcs)
(913) 859-1234 (Fax)

--

effectus(at)rogers.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Auto engine conversion Reply with quote

John,

Thank you. You are a trusted friend.

There can be only one way to approach the development of a viable alternative engine for aircraft. Your company has to act like an aircraft engine company! This means that you need to have a product that, although based on an automotive engine has been scrutinized with the eye of an aeronautical engineer, not a race car mechanic. The loads imparted by an aircraft have to be accounted for. There is no way around it.

One excellent example of a cavalier attitude encountered in this arena is in the engine management software. How many of you out there have heard of someone who would like to use an OEM control module and has had some backyard reprogrammer go in an turn a few things off so that it will work for an aircraft application? What do you think that an engine management software designer in the employ of a large auto manufacturer has on his mind when writing code pertaining to an engine over temp? He is going to save the engine!!! He'll command that software to reduce power or shut down. Is that what you want when you are out over inhospitable terrain? Not likely!!

I agree with John's take on gearbox's. They have to be designed for specific applications. I dare say right down to the specific airframe. It and the engine have to be developed in unison by qualified people. The information about the package has to be made available. Independently verified information on horsepower, vibration, fuel consumption and flight test data should be made available to the buying public.

I am a believer in geared PSRUs and this has to do with history. The geared PSRU using spur gears has been the most successful configuration throughout the years and has demonstrated reliability in numerous high horsepower aircraft applications.

What drives innovation is the needs of the customer. How many of you out there have heard someone else say that they wish that there was some alternative to the current offerings? When talking about the IO-540, the pickings are even slimmer.

I am working to establish a propulsion systems company that will respect the needs of the builders of experimental aircraft and I will have an alternative engine in my RV-10. I will not be releasing details prematurely but when I do, they will be independently verified. As well, my RV-10 airframe will be professionally flight tested with this propulsion system so as to provide the best information possible to any potential customer who is trusting his/her life and the lives of his/her loved ones to it. I will even go as far as testing both Hartzell and MT propellers so that the  comparative data is available.

The thing that I think stops most builders in their tracks when contemplating an alternative engine is not the engine. It invariably is the lack of a complete firewall forward solution. Look at all of the failures to provide this out there. Innodyne, Crossflow and DeltaHawk are the first three to come to mind. If I am able to offer a package it will be just that. A total package. Engine, PSRU(mated), cowl(fitted to a production jig and ready to paint), cooling system(designed and tested for the specific airframe)and a dual engine management system that is designed and programmed specifically for the aircraft environment.

All this will take time. I wouldn't respect any company that rushes through this and who doesn't have people with the proper credentials doing the designing.

Thanks for the opportunity John.

Dave Hertner

[quote] ---

Kellym

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Auto engine conversion Reply with quote

Anyone look at Superior's new IO400 at 210hp? 8.5 compression so 91 octane should work with those friction stir welded tanks. Wink

RV Builder (Michael Sausen) wrote:
Quote:
RE: Re: Auto engine conversion
  I know what you mean, I've been trying to get my Dodge 3500's Cummins turbo diesel crammed under the cowl.  I mean geez, the thing is only a IO-360.  It should fit, right? It would be perfect at 305HP, 350,000 miles before overhaul, and it doesn't need a redrive.  LMAO

Michael Sausen
Do Not Archive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: