Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

High speed taxi tests: good or bad idea?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
321PT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: High speed taxi tests: good or bad idea? Reply with quote

I don't want to get in the slats vs. vg's issue, but FYI, I have slats, vg's on the tail and have no problem keeping the nose off.
Paul
321PT
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
John Bolding

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: High speed taxi tests: good or bad idea? Reply with quote

Long before the VG's came into vogue I REALLY enjoyed watching Grant Rappe taxi around the ultralight area with the nosewheel 6" off the ground. The guy UNDERSTOOD a 701.

John
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

n752ms(at)softcom.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: High speed taxi tests: good or bad idea? Reply with quote

Same setup I have Paul. I fast taxi all the way to the taxi way nose wheel off the runway all the time. In fact I could scrape the tail if I wasn't careful.
Talking fast taxi, I would consider fast taxing to be any speed faster than you would taxi on a taxiway.
Mark S.
701/912uls
Sent from Mark's iPhone

On Oct 1, 2010, at 7:18 AM, "Paul Tipton" <PTIPTON(at)swmail.sw.org (PTIPTON(at)swmail.sw.org)> wrote:

[quote] I don't want to get in the slats vs. vg's issue, but FYI, I have slats, vg's on the tail and have no problem keeping the nose off.
Paul
321PT
Quote:

[b]

ronlee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: High speed taxi tests: good or bad idea? Reply with quote

I guess I didn't make my message clear about taxing with the nose wheel up. As someone else noted the nose will come up VERY easily and at a low speed, if not careful one can even scrape the tail tie down. It seems at some point it (the tail) just wants to keep going down. My experience is coming down from such a nose high taxi is touchy to bring it down gently. My thoughts are that once the air starts going through the slats (nose high) the tail just wants to keep going down. Now here is my point, if you get airborne with the nose high and you don't want to fly, but bring it back down to the runway gently is where the problem can be. It's easy to come down much faster then you want and easy to thump it , especially if the end of the runway is approaching.
I've taxied both ways, slats on and slats off with VGs and can definitely state that taxing with the nose wheel an EVEN distance (6 inches, 10 inches etc) off the ground is way easier done without the slats on. I can only theorize why this is so. Maybe someone has right answer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: