Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tail boom question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awcbs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: tail boom question Reply with quote

after inspecting the pieces of the mark 3 extra kit I just purchased, It looks like the previous owner fitted the rudder and stabilizer on one end. then must of figured something wasn't right and took it off and fitted to the other end. so there are rivet holes it the end of the tube that attaches to the fuse. does any one see a problem with using the tube? any structural issues, not to worried about cosmetics as it looks like all the holes will be inside the cage. some have rivets put back in the holes

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: tail boom question Reply with quote

Could it be that the holes were drilled for the forward attachment, and then dis-assembled so that the cage could be painted? Can you post photos?

Bill Sullivan
      Windsor Locks, Ct
      FS 447
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

awcbs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: tail boom question Reply with quote

I'll take a few pics tomorrow, but the holes are in the same spot on both ends of the tube , and the number of holes match the other end with the tail on it.
Also it is a mark 3 Xtra, not extra, as I seem to have offended at least one member, and I figured out how to attach a signature to my messages.

Please bear with me as I go through the newbie stages, I will try to look like an expert by tomorrow. Wait that won't work, looks like I'm gonna be a newbie for a while yet, sorry.
hope my signature attaches

Rans S-9 Chaos 503
by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: tail boom question Reply with quote

after inspecting the pieces of the mark 3 extra kit I just purchased, It looks like the previous owner fitted the rudder and stabilizer on one end. then must of figured something wasn't right and took it off and fitted to the other end. so there are rivet holes it the end of the tube that attaches to the fuse. does any one see a problem with using the tube? any structural issues, not to worried about cosmetics as it looks like all the holes will be inside the cage. some have rivets put back in the holes

how far are the holes from the end of the tube.... if they are within 1 inch of the end.... cut it off and drill new holes for the mounting ring to the cage.

does he have the hols drilled for the H section???? any extra holes in the area of the H section would be of greater concern to me.... i dont remember drilling any holes in the boom tube till i was ready to rig everything to the cage.

hope this helps

boyd young mkIII

do not archive.
[quote][b]

awcbs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: tail boom question Reply with quote

they are above the H-brace position, but definitely on top of the front of the H-brace.

fuse tube 012.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  194.27 KB
 Viewed:  6074 Time(s)

fuse tube 012.JPG

fuse tube 020.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  191.37 KB

fuse tube 020.JPG

fuse tube 013.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  184.51 KB

fuse tube 013.JPG

fuse tube 017.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  228.64 KB

fuse tube 017.JPG

fuse tube 016.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  228.64 KB

fuse tube 016.JPG

Rans S-9 Chaos 503
awcbs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: tail boom question Reply with quote

date on camera is wrong, but pic with the H-brace on top is approx. where it will sit inside the boom. the magic marker cross is aproxx. where the H=brace bolts go thru. thanks AJ

Rans S-9 Chaos 503
WhiskeyVictor36(at)aol.co

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: tail boom question Reply with quote

AJ,

It looks like they might have been the holes for the forward attachment of the vertical and horizontal stabilizers. Maybe the tail was out of plumb so he swapped ends to try again?

Bill Varnes
Original Kolb FireStar
Audubon NJ
Do Not Archive

In a message dated 10/5/2010 10:29:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, awcbsone(at)windstream.net writes:
Quote:
they are above the H-brace position, but definitely on top of the front of the H-brace.

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: