Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MMO vs. Camguard (subject change)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: MMO vs. Camguard (subject change) Reply with quote

Well, since you were replying to a message that I wrote when you posted this Richard, I will assume that you were directing your reply and tongue in cheek comments to what I wrote.

Let me say again for the record. I do not recommend MMO to anyone for any purpose in any engine. Many others actually do, and there are numerous articles supporting it's use for lead reduction, but since this topic has been discussed "Ad Nauseum" on this list, and since many readers are sick and tired of hearing the same old song and verse, I am not about to start up that whole tired argument yet again.

That said, I have seen numerous engines with lead fouling on the valves, and it has happened to my engine twice. Since I have run MMO, I have not had any problems with leading on the valves. That is far from a good analysis, nor is it scientific, and it is not something I am going stand up on a soap box and argue about.

If you need information about MMO, this is not the forum to get it from (IMHO). However, to address your question about how CamGuard compares to MMO, the answer is that they are two totally different products intended for two totally different purposes at least for the use I was discussing. CamGuard is an additive supplement formulated to address the complex and interrelated problems of corrosion, wear, deposits and seal degradation in piston engines. Quote Unquote.

It goes in the oil. I am putting MMO into the FUEL. Kind of different applications, don't you think?

If you want a sample size of more than "one", maybe you ought to look around on the Internet for more comments on the matter. You can start with this one: http://www.pipercubforum.com/marvel.htm

In the end, regardless of what you feel like kissing Richard, I fully intend to continue using this product in the engines I operate.

Mark Bitterlich

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com on behalf of RICHARD VOLKER
Sent: Fri 10/8/2010 9:15 AM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: TITUS at Titusville, FL TICO Airshow
I need information about MMO. Is there any aviation engine testing available with this additive? Are aircraft owners that are using this oil actually trusting anecdotal evidence or it's performance in non-aviation engines? How does this additive compare to CamGuard? The engine teardown testing by Monte Barrett and others completely reinforces CamGuard claims, as has many independent, scientifically performed studies. A sample size of one is statistically useless in proving anything. Wait a minute, I kiss my Sukhoi after every flight and it is running better than ever. Anybody else care to try that?
Rick Volker

On Oct 7, 2010, at 1:55 PM, Bitterlich, Mark G CIV Det Cherry Point, MALS-14 64E wrote:
Hello Javier,

Glad to hear you are happy with the ignition upgrade kit from Dennis. I have been involved with that mod on several aircraft and in each case, the improvement has been very noticable, especially at idle.

Yes, I do use MMO... but clearly I am no expert in it's use. I am one of these stupid people that think: "if a little bit is good, then a lot is even better!". That is not an especially "informed or wise" point of view, but you asked, so I am admitting it! Smile

My YAK-50 holds about 32 gallons. I put about 1/2 quart or more in for a full tank. In some cases, I've put as much as a full quart in, but that is not common and I usually have done that just because I did not want to carry an open container around in the aircraft so I just poured it all in. Probably not too smart. CLEARLY this is over the recommended amount... but I really don't think it has hurt anything since I have been doing it for almost 10 years now. So, I suppose the answer to your question is to simply run the recommended amount but if you go a little over ... it doesn't seem to hurt anything. This is subject to change by someone who knows more than me about the issue!

As for oil.... I use MMO as a kind of "cleaner". When I get ready to change the oil in my engine, I pour in TWO QUARTS of MMO and then go for a short flight and run the engine hard. I then come back and immediately drain it all out. Again, this might not be a great recommendation, but it is what I do.

In short, the subject of MMO, how much to use, when to use it, and whether it is even any good in the first place.... is something that has been a hot topic on this list server for quite a number of years. In no way would I dare to recommend a certain amount, or even claim that the stuff really works! I use it because it does not seem to hurt anything, and APPEARS to have helped me regarding valve leading issues.

Mark

Sent: Wed 10/6/2010 8:57 PM
To: Mark Sorenson; yak-list(at)matronics.com

Hi Mark!

Hope you are doing great!

Hey I got the Spakplug kit from Dennis Savarece and the difference is just unbelievable!

Hey are you using the Marvel Mystery Oil?

If so in what proportion?

And do you add it everytime you put gas? or how often?

Regards, Javier
--- On Sun, 3/14/10, Mark Sorenson <captainsorenson(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

Subject: TITUS at Titusville, FL TICO Airshow
To: "Mark Sorenson" <captainsorenson(at)hotmail.com>
Date: Sunday, March 14, 2010, 7:43 AM

Sorry about the previous misfire with no photo attached.

This was captured yesterday at the TICO Airshow, in Titusville, FL. Other than having to deal with winds up to 30 mph it was a grrrrrrrrrreat day among grrrrrrrrrrreat people.

Best regards,
Mark Sorenson
678-GO-FLY-HI
www.tigerairshows.com

Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protGBL/go/210850553/direct/01/">Sign up now.

et=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
p://forums.matronics.com/
blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
rick(at)rvairshows.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: MMO vs. Camguard (subject change) Reply with quote

Would you use CamGuard?
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

keithmckinley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: MMO vs. Camguard (subject change) Reply with quote

Mark,

I disagree with your HO. This IS the place to get information about a products such as MMO.

I don't care about the methods of it's delicious smelling madness or it's chemical formula. I do care that it works or not, and as you mention, it does. I know numerous M-14 owners that have eliminated sticking valves since using this stuff. I use it in my Housai and I can tell you that I run my engine very hard and have not had a problem in my 250 hrs of ownership using MMO. I can absolutely feel the difference in the smoothness of my engine after going without for a couple tankfuls. There are a lot of folks here (you included) that have so much experience with trial and error regarding these machine and I appreciate the shared knowledge.

Semper Fi,

Keith

radiopicture

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: MMO vs. Camguard (subject change) Reply with quote

I didn't take Rick's remarks as comparing the functions of the
products, but rather a comparison of the evidence of their efficacy.

Probably, we have all tried things that we swear worked without much
scientific confirmation. MMO is a weird case, because it has a lot of
fans and apparently was even a Mil Spec product during the war.
Theories for why it works (if you believe it does) vary quite a bit.
Chemists seem to think that the "vapor blast" explanation is whack.
Appropriately, this stuff has "Mystery" in its name.

I haven't had one particular M-14P for a thousand hours as is the case
with some folks, so I don't have the tear down evidence to examine.
However, you'd think that an engine that has to be run up before you
shut it down wouldn't have the valve lead salt deposit problem.

I'm guessing MMO doesn't hurt. That TCP stuff seems pretty nasty to
touch or transport.

Imagine how fun it will be when we get the new fuel.

On Oct 8, 2010, at 4:33 PM, Bitterlich, Mark G CIV Det Cherry Point,
MALS-14 64E wrote:

Quote:

Point, MALS-14 64E" <mark.bitterlich(at)navy.mil>

Well, since you were replying to a message that I wrote when you
posted this Richard, I will assume that you were directing your
reply and tongue in cheek comments to what I wrote.

Let me say again for the record. I do not recommend MMO to anyone
for any purpose in any engine. Many others actually do, and there
are numerous articles supporting it's use for lead reduction, but
since this topic has been discussed "Ad Nauseum" on this list, and
since many readers are sick and tired of hearing the same old song
and verse, I am not about to start up that whole tired argument yet
again.

That said, I have seen numerous engines with lead fouling on the
valves, and it has happened to my engine twice. Since I have run
MMO, I have not had any problems with leading on the valves. That
is far from a good analysis, nor is it scientific, and it is not
something I am going stand up on a soap box and argue about.

If you need information about MMO, this is not the forum to get it
from (IMHO). However, to address your question about how CamGuard
compares to MMO, the answer is that they are two totally different
products intended for two totally different purposes at least for
the use I was discussing. CamGuard is an additive supplement
formulated to address the complex and interrelated problems of
corrosion, wear, deposits and seal degradation in piston engines.
Quote Unquote.

It goes in the oil. I am putting MMO into the FUEL. Kind of
different applications, don't you think?

If you want a sample size of more than "one", maybe you ought to
look around on the Internet for more comments on the matter. You
can start with this one: http://www.pipercubforum.com/marvel.htm

In the end, regardless of what you feel like kissing Richard, I
fully intend to continue using this product in the engines I operate.

Mark Bitterlich

I need information about MMO. Is there any aviation engine testing
available with this additive? Are aircraft owners that are using
this oil actually trusting anecdotal evidence or it's performance in
non-aviation engines? How does this additive compare to CamGuard?
The engine teardown testing by Monte Barrett and others completely
reinforces CamGuard claims, as has many independent, scientifically
performed studies. A sample size of one is statistically useless in
proving anything. Wait a minute, I kiss my Sukhoi after every
flight and it is running better than ever. Anybody else care to try
that?
Rick Volker

On Oct 7, 2010, at 1:55 PM, Bitterlich, Mark G CIV Det Cherry Point,
MALS-14 64E wrote:
Hello Javier,

Glad to hear you are happy with the ignition upgrade kit from
Dennis. I have been involved with that mod on several aircraft
and in each case, the improvement has been very noticable,
especially at idle.

Yes, I do use MMO... but clearly I am no expert in it's use. I am
one of these stupid people that think: "if a little bit is good,
then a lot is even better!". That is not an especially "informed or
wise" point of view, but you asked, so I am admitting it! Smile

My YAK-50 holds about 32 gallons. I put about 1/2 quart or more in
for a full tank. In some cases, I've put as much as a full quart
in, but that is not common and I usually have done that just because
I did not want to carry an open container around in the aircraft so
I just poured it all in. Probably not too smart. CLEARLY this is
over the recommended amount... but I really don't think it has hurt
anything since I have been doing it for almost 10 years now. So, I
suppose the answer to your question is to simply run the recommended
amount but if you go a little over ... it doesn't seem to hurt
anything. This is subject to change by someone who knows more
than me about the issue!

As for oil.... I use MMO as a kind of "cleaner". When I get ready
to change the oil in my engine, I pour in TWO QUARTS of MMO and then
go for a short flight and run the engine hard. I then come back and
immediately drain it all out. Again, this might not be a great
recommendation, but it is what I do.

In short, the subject of MMO, how much to use, when to use it, and
whether it is even any good in the first place.... is something that
has been a hot topic on this list server for quite a number of
years. In no way would I dare to recommend a certain amount, or
even claim that the stuff really works! I use it because it does
not seem to hurt anything, and APPEARS to have helped me regarding
valve leading issues.

Mark

Hi Mark!

Hey I got the Spakplug kit from Dennis Savarece and the difference
is just unbelievable!

Regards, Javier
--- On Sun, 3/14/10, Mark Sorenson <captainsorenson(at)hotmail.com>
wrote:

This was captured yesterday at the TICO Airshow, in Titusville,
FL. Other than having to deal with winds up to 30 mph it was a
grrrrrrrrrreat day among grrrrrrrrrrreat people.

Best regards,
Mark Sorenson
678-GO-FLY-HI
www.tigerairshows.com

Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protGBL/go/210850553/
direct/01/">Sign up now.

rick(at)rvairshows.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: MMO vs. Camguard (subject change) Reply with quote

OK,
seriously then....

It looks as though there are countless testimonials supporting the helpful properties of MMO. I respect your opinion regarding its use. It is difficult to find scientifically supportive documentation of this product on line, piper site and all. I would be interested in MMO, particularly after reading how Swift fuel may be coming our way. After the FAA test run of an IO540 engine for 150 hours, some mention was made of slight fuel pump wear or leaking as the only problem. MMO might be a way to counter this effect. A product like MMO might be the best thing since sliced bread, but no one stands to make extra money from the product certification for the tiny aviation market. I realize that CamGuard is different, but the testing related to its certified use is what I was referring to.
I have not heard anything bad about its use. I will review the Yak List archives to read more. Up until now, I have treated my M14P's as though they were certified engines, thinking resale might be better from the buyer's increased confidence level in my care. Now, maybe thats not the best course. I have never had lead deposits in the engines I've used. Piston scuffing and cracked rings were seen in a past engine. I am counting on rigorous control of CHT's and CamGuard to improve this behavior in my new engine. Monty Barrett has claimed that these two things were the bane of the original design.

Thanks for the info

Rick Volker
On Oct 8, 2010, at 4:33 PM, Bitterlich, Mark G CIV Det Cherry Point, MALS-14 64E wrote:

Quote:

Well, since you were replying to a message that I wrote when you posted this Richard, I will assume that you were directing your reply and tongue in cheek comments to what I wrote.

Let me say again for the record. I do not recommend MMO to anyone for any purpose in any engine. Many others actually do, and there are numerous articles supporting it's use for lead reduction, but since this topic has been discussed "Ad Nauseum" on this list, and since many readers are sick and tired of hearing the same old song and verse, I am not about to start up that whole tired argument yet again.

That said, I have seen numerous engines with lead fouling on the valves, and it has happened to my engine twice. Since I have run MMO, I have not had any problems with leading on the valves. That is far from a good analysis, nor is it scientific, and it is not something I am going stand up on a soap box and argue about.

If you need information about MMO, this is not the forum to get it from (IMHO). However, to address your question about how CamGuard compares to MMO, the answer is that they are two totally different products intended for two totally different purposes at least for the use I was discussing. CamGuard is an additive supplement formulated to address the complex and interrelated problems of corrosion, wear, deposits and seal degradation in piston engines. Quote Unquote.

It goes in the oil. I am putting MMO into the FUEL. Kind of different applications, don't you think?

If you want a sample size of more than "one", maybe you ought to look around on the Internet for more comments on the matter. You can start with this one: http://www.pipercubforum.com/marvel.htm

In the end, regardless of what you feel like kissing Richard, I fully intend to continue using this product in the engines I operate.

Mark Bitterlich

I need information about MMO. Is there any aviation engine testing available with this additive? Are aircraft owners that are using this oil actually trusting anecdotal evidence or it's performance in non-aviation engines? How does this additive compare to CamGuard? The engine teardown testing by Monte Barrett and others completely reinforces CamGuard claims, as has many independent, scientifically performed studies. A sample size of one is statistically useless in proving anything. Wait a minute, I kiss my Sukhoi after every flight and it is running better than ever. Anybody else care to try that?
Rick Volker

On Oct 7, 2010, at 1:55 PM, Bitterlich, Mark G CIV Det Cherry Point, MALS-14 64E wrote:

Hello Javier,

Glad to hear you are happy with the ignition upgrade kit from Dennis. I have been involved with that mod on several aircraft and in each case, the improvement has been very noticable, especially at idle.

Yes, I do use MMO... but clearly I am no expert in it's use. I am one of these stupid people that think: "if a little bit is good, then a lot is even better!". That is not an especially "informed or wise" point of view, but you asked, so I am admitting it! Smile

My YAK-50 holds about 32 gallons. I put about 1/2 quart or more in for a full tank. In some cases, I've put as much as a full quart in, but that is not common and I usually have done that just because I did not want to carry an open container around in the aircraft so I just poured it all in. Probably not too smart. CLEARLY this is over the recommended amount... but I really don't think it has hurt anything since I have been doing it for almost 10 years now. So, I suppose the answer to your question is to simply run the recommended amount but if you go a little over ... it doesn't seem to hurt anything. This is subject to change by someone who knows more than me about the issue!

As for oil.... I use MMO as a kind of "cleaner". When I get ready to change the oil in my engine, I pour in TWO QUARTS of MMO and then go for a short flight and run the engine hard. I then come back and immediately drain it all out. Again, this might not be a great recommendation, but it is what I do.

In short, the subject of MMO, how much to use, when to use it, and whether it is even any good in the first place.... is something that has been a hot topic on this list server for quite a number of years. In no way would I dare to recommend a certain amount, or even claim that the stuff really works! I use it because it does not seem to hurt anything, and APPEARS to have helped me regarding valve leading issues.

Mark

Hi Mark!

Hey I got the Spakplug kit from Dennis Savarece and the difference is just unbelievable!

Regards, Javier

This was captured yesterday at the TICO Airshow, in Titusville, FL. Other than having to deal with winds up to 30 mph it was a grrrrrrrrrreat day among grrrrrrrrrrreat people.

Best regards,
Mark Sorenson
678-GO-FLY-HI
www.tigerairshows.com

Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protGBL/go/210850553/direct/01/">Sign up now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: MMO vs. Camguard (subject change) Reply with quote

I stand corrected.

Aragota Nai.

S/F,

Mark

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com on behalf of keithmckinley
Sent: Fri 10/8/2010 5:17 PM
Subject: Re: MMO vs. Camguard (subject change)

Mark,

I disagree with your HO. This IS the place to get information about a products such as MMO.

I don't care about the methods of it's delicious smelling madness or it's chemical formula. I do care that it works or not, and as you mention, it does. I know numerous M-14 owners that have eliminated sticking valves since using this stuff. I use it in my Housai and I can tell you that I run my engine very hard and have not had a problem in my 250 hrs of ownership using MMO. I can absolutely feel the difference in the smoothness of my engine after going without for a couple tankfuls. There are a lot of folks here (you included) that have so much experience with trial and error regarding these machine and I appreciate the shared knowledge.

Semper Fi,

Keith

--------
Keith McKinley
700HS
KFIT

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=315150#315150

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: MMO vs. Camguard (subject change) Reply with quote

Short answer: Yes I would.

Long answer: I have not used CamGuard personally, but am considering it. From what I can read it is a good product. In the past, I have run my engine every weekend or more. I have changed the oil every 50 hours or less. I had not really considered CamGuard necessary. However.... my YAK-50 does not fly as much as it used to and CamGuard might be a wise investment.

To be perfectly candid, I was kind of hoping someone else would run it for awhile first and let me gain from their experience.

Mark Bitterlich

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com on behalf of rick(at)rvairshows.com
Sent: Fri 10/8/2010 5:02 PM

Would you use CamGuard?

--

William Halverson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: MMO vs. Camguard (subject change) Reply with quote

What about Microlon? Anybody have experience with it?
+--

rick(at)rvairshows.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: MMO vs. Camguard (subject change) Reply with quote

I have been running CamGuard during daily flights at 100 % power for half of each flight. Max cruise for the other half. Will let you know how it turns out compared to past M14P engines with same service history. CHT's never get over 380 degrees F. And oil temperatures in the green. I am looking for wear protection, obviously.
Rick Volker.

--

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: MMO vs. Camguard (subject change) Reply with quote

Are you saying that you feel that CamGuard impacts cylinder head temperatures and oil temperatures?

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com on behalf of rick(at)rvairshows.com
Sent: Fri 10/8/2010 10:58 PM

I have been running CamGuard during daily flights at 100 % power for half of each flight. Max cruise for the other half. Will let you know how it turns out compared to past M14P engines with same service history. CHT's never get over 380 degrees F. And oil temperatures in the green. I am looking for wear protection, obviously.
Rick Volker.

--

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: MMO vs. Camguard (subject change) Reply with quote

I put it into my M-14 10 years ago and did not see any impact.

Mark Bitterlich

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com on behalf of William Halverson
Sent: Fri 10/8/2010 10:44 PM
Subject: Re: Re: MMO vs. Camguard (subject change)

What about Microlon? Anybody have experience with it?
+--

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: MMO vs. Camguard (subject change) Reply with quote

I fully concur with Monty Barrett that cylinder head temp. is a SERIOUSLY important factor in the life of these engines.

I have no idea how MMO will react with Swift fuel. Swift fuel does not contain TEL.

One of the reasons you have avoided valve leading is because you run your engine so hard, and I have pointed out that fact in the past. Running the engine at low RPM impacts exhaust gas temperature. It increases your chances of valve leading issues. The lower the temperature of your cylinder head, the more chance you have of the TEL coming out of a gaseous state back into a precipitate.

Swift fuel may have the octane, but it will likely not have the lubrication properties of fuel containing TEL. The Russians have said that their hardened valve seats combined with their sodium filled valve bodies will be able to handle this.

I hope they are correct.

If not, it's only money.

Mark Bitterlich

Sent: Fri 10/8/2010 6:28 PM

OK,
seriously then....

It looks as though there are countless testimonials supporting the helpful properties of MMO. I respect your opinion regarding its use. It is difficult to find scientifically supportive documentation of this product on line, piper site and all. I would be interested in MMO, particularly after reading how Swift fuel may be coming our way. After the FAA test run of an IO540 engine for 150 hours, some mention was made of slight fuel pump wear or leaking as the only problem. MMO might be a way to counter this effect. A product like MMO might be the best thing since sliced bread, but no one stands to make extra money from the product certification for the tiny aviation market. I realize that CamGuard is different, but the testing related to its certified use is what I was referring to.
I have not heard anything bad about its use. I will review the Yak List archives to read more. Up until now, I have treated my M14P's as though they were certified engines, thinking resale might be better from the buyer's increased confidence level in my care. Now, maybe thats not the best course. I have never had lead deposits in the engines I've used. Piston scuffing and cracked rings were seen in a past engine. I am counting on rigorous control of CHT's and CamGuard to improve this behavior in my new engine. Monty Barrett has claimed that these two things were the bane of the original design.

Thanks for the info

Rick Volker
On Oct 8, 2010, at 4:33 PM, Bitterlich, Mark G CIV Det Cherry Point, MALS-14 64E wrote:

Quote:

Mark Bitterlich

Rick Volker

Hello Javier,

Mark

Hi Mark!

Regards, Javier

Best regards,
Mark Sorenson
678-GO-FLY-HI
www.tigerairshows.com

rick(at)rvairshows.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: MMO vs. Camguard (subject change) Reply with quote

I do not believe that CamGuard impacts cylinder head and oil temps. The engines used for the testing were run at full power at temps close to redline for both CHT and oil temp in the air show environment. That means 15 minutes running time and abrupt cool down every flight for 500 hours. Comparing engines with and without CamGuard following this same use pattern showed shocking differences in cylinder head and piston wall wear. The tests suggested that there is great wear protection for engines flown at their temperature limits while using CamGuard.
Rick Volker
On Oct 8, 2010, at 11:18 PM, Bitterlich, Mark G CIV Det Cherry Point, MALS-14 64E wrote:

[quote]

Are you saying that you feel that CamGuard impacts cylinder head temperatures and oil temperatures?

Sent: Fri 10/8/2010 10:58 PM

Rick Volker.

--

MarkWDavis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: MMO vs. Camguard (subject change) Reply with quote

Mark,
I had a Ford field engineer tell me several years ago that the new
ultra low sulphur diesel fuels lack lubricity which will result in wear on
component that weren't common with the former blends of diesel. He
recommended adding two stroke oil to diesel to restore the lubricity (a
small bottle which will make one gallon of premix gas to each fill up).
This was in regard to the 7.3L Powerstroke. I'm not sure how the oil will
go with the new generation diesels with EGR and DPF systems. It is an oil
designed to lubricate recipricating components and bearings then burn
without excessive residue in the combustion cycle. Who knows what residual
remains to protect the exhaust valve seats. Anyway, the point being, if TEL
goes away, we may need to look at other ways to replace the lubricity in our
fuels. MMO does that, but a purpose designed oil like two stroke oil may be
better when TEL eventually goes away entirely.

Mark Davis
N44YK
---

radiopicture

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: MMO vs. Camguard (subject change) Reply with quote

Man, I feel like we're just guessing at this stuff.
On Oct 9, 2010, at 9:39 AM, Mark Davis wrote:

[quote]

Mark,
I had a Ford field engineer tell me several years ago that the
new ultra low sulphur diesel fuels lack lubricity which will result
in wear on component that weren't common with the former blends of
diesel. He recommended adding two stroke oil to diesel to restore
the lubricity (a small bottle which will make one gallon of premix
gas to each fill up). This was in regard to the 7.3L Powerstroke.
I'm not sure how the oil will go with the new generation diesels
with EGR and DPF systems. It is an oil designed to lubricate
recipricating components and bearings then burn without excessive
residue in the combustion cycle. Who knows what residual remains to
protect the exhaust valve seats. Anyway, the point being, if TEL
goes away, we may need to look at other ways to replace the
lubricity in our fuels. MMO does that, but a purpose designed oil
like two stroke oil may be better when TEL eventually goes away
entirely.

Mark Davis
N44YK
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: