Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trim tab indicator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Trim tab indicator Reply with quote

Guys,

I have a Ray Allen Company trim tab servo and I would like some help.

The servo has three wires that go to a one-piece tiny LED position indicator
(which they call their RP3 INDICATOR).   I called the factory and the guy said
these 3 wires are from a 5K ohm potentiometer inside the servo.  By way of a
pot, the RP3 INDICATOR shows the linear position of the trim tab.

(the orange wire and the blue wire are from each end of the pot.  The green
wire is the wiper)

Here's my problem;  my eyesight isn't very good up close, where is where I need
to mount that RP3 indicator (I have an overhead panel and the indicator would be
about 12" away from my eyes.  (Too close!)  Plus, I'd rather not be limited to a
1/2" x 3/4" LED display.  I would prefer to have separate LEDs, maybe around
8-10 of them, placed in a better view on my instrument console in front of me.

Is anyone familiar with any circuitry that could light up a row of LEDs (one at a time)
that is resistance driven.  According to the tech support guy, the green wire is
the "slider" of the pot.  I assume only one LED would light up, at any given resistance,
etc, etc.  
  If a guy had 10 LEDs, then it could work like 0-500 ohms lights #1 LED.
500+ to 1000 ohms would light up #2 LED, 1000+ to 1500 ohms would light #3, etc, etc. 

I have included the Company installation guide, refer to "Figure 4" for the indicator.
(see attachment for their RP3 indicator)

I guess if I could go with the Ray Allen indicator, which is better than nothing, but I'd rather
use my own LEDs if anyone knows of a separate circuit.

Thanks a bunch!!

Mike Welch

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

instructionsT2andT3.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  instructionsT2andT3.pdf
 Filesize:  144.22 KB
 Downloaded:  947 Time(s)

larry(at)macsmachine.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Trim tab indicator Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
You’ve got a good system and I have the same and yes, the indicators are hard to read in any daylight. I’ve become accustomed to looking at the
trim tab on my left wing to see what’s going on. The elevator is more easily felt than seen and it has such authority that you can adjust it by feel much easier.
The stick sometimes needs to be bumped for the aileron to be responsive, but it generally is for a changing fuel load.
I’d think not going further with indicators would be a best option.
Best regards
Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Mike Welch
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 1:50 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Trim tab indicator

Guys,

(which they call their RP3 INDICATOR). I called the factory and the guy said
these 3 wires are from a 5K ohm potentiometer inside the servo. By way of a

(the orange wire and the blue wire are from each end of the pot. The green
wire is the wiper)

Here's my problem; my eyesight isn't very good up close, where is where I need
to mount that RP3 indicator (I have an overhead panel and the indicator would be
about 12" away from my eyes. (Too close!) Plus, I'd rather not be limited to a
1/2" x 3/4" LED display. I would prefer to have separate LEDs, maybe around

Is anyone familiar with any circuitry that could light up a row of LEDs (one at a time)
that is resistance driven. According to the tech support guy, the green wire is
the "slider" of the pot. I assume only one LED would light up, at any given resistance,
etc, etc.
500+ to 1000 ohms would light up #2 LED, 1000+ to 1500 ohms would light #3, etc, etc.

I have included the Company installation guide, refer to "Figure 4" for the indicator.

I guess if I could go with the Ray Allen indicator, which is better than nothing, but I'd rather

Thanks a bunch!!

Mike Welch

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Trim tab indicator Reply with quote

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the reply.  I suppose I could have been more specific.  I have the trim tab
on the elevator, not an aileron.  Impossible to see the tab's position in flight.

I would like some sort of lighted indication to show it's position, and preferably something I
can focus on.  Something the size of a quarter 12 " away from my eyes isn't too good, neither is
the quarter sized LEDs on  my instrument panel 36" away, although it's better.

If I had my druthers, I'd have a vertical line of (10)  3mm LEDs, half an inch apart.  This I could
see REALLY well.

Mike

Subject: RE: Trim tab indicator
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 14:58:42 -0500

.ExternalClass p.ecxMsoNormal, .ExternalClass li.ecxMsoNormal, .ExternalClass div.ecxMsoNormal {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman','serif';} .ExternalClass a:link, .ExternalClass span.ecxMsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass a:visited, .ExternalClass span.ecxMsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass p {margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman','serif';} .ExternalClass span.ecxEmailStyle18 {font-family:'Calibri','sans-serif';color:#1F497D;} .ExternalClass .ecxMsoChpDefault {font-size:10.0pt;} (at)page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in;} .ExternalClass div.ecxWordSection1 {page:WordSection1;}
Hi Mike,
You’ve got a good system and I have the same and yes, the indicators are hard to read in any daylight.  I’ve become accustomed to looking at the
trim tab on my left wing to see what’s going on.  The elevator is more easily felt than seen and it has such authority that you can adjust it by feel much easier.
The stick sometimes needs to be bumped for the aileron to be responsive, but it generally is for a changing fuel load.
Best regards

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Mike Welch
Subject: AeroElectric-List: Trim tab indicator

Guys,

(which they call their RP3 INDICATOR).   I called the factory and the guy said
these 3 wires are from a 5K ohm potentiometer inside the servo.  By way of a

(the orange wire and the blue wire are from each end of the pot.  The green
wire is the wiper)

Here's my problem;  my eyesight isn't very good up close, where is where I need
about 12" away from my eyes.  (Too close!)  Plus, I'd rather not be limited to a
1/2" x 3/4" LED display.  I would prefer to have separate LEDs, maybe around

that is resistance driven.  According to the tech support guy, the green wire is
the "slider" of the pot.  I assume only one LED would light up, at any given resistance,
etc, etc.  
500+ to 1000 ohms would light up #2 LED, 1000+ to 1500 ohms would light #3, etc, etc. 

I have included the Company installation guide, refer to "Figure 4" for the indicator.

I guess if I could go with the Ray Allen indicator, which is better than nothing, but I'd rather

Thanks a bunch!!

Mike Welch

[quote]

-List" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
ttp://forums.matronics.com
=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

etienne.phillips(at)gmail

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Trim tab indicator Reply with quote

Hi Mike

It should be easy enough to dismantle the RA indicator, and replace the display with individual LEDs. I'm not familiar with this particular indicator, but from the picture, the display looks identical to one that I'm using in my own design, which is simply 10 electrically discrete LEDs in a single housing. De-soldering the 20 pins, yanking out the display and running short wires to individual LEDs (remembering that polarity on LEDs is important) shouldn't be out of any aircraft builder's depth. Obviously though, I would expect a voided warrantee from this sort of behaviour...
To design and build a replacement circuit is a non-trivial exercise involving an IC and a circuit board at least - if you're committed to using LEDs. However, it would be easy enough to replace the entire contraption with a 12V voltmeter (similar to this 10V variety http://tinyurl.com/2f3akj4 ). Connecting either side of the pot to GND and 12V would result in the green slider connection varying from 0-12V through the travel. A simple 12V needle gauge would be able to display that comfortably, with no electronics. It is usually possible to replace the markings on the gauge with your own meaningful ones.
Hope that helps or provides an alternative stimulus...
Thanks
Etienne

On 13 Oct 2010, at 8:49 PM, Mike Welch wrote:
[quote]Guys,

wire is the wiper)

the "slider" of the pot. I assume only one LED would light up, at any given resistance,
etc, etc.
500+ to 1000 ohms would light up #2 LED, 1000+ to 1500 ohms would light #3, etc, etc.

I have included the Company installation guide, refer to "Figure 4" for the indicator.

I guess if I could go with the Ray Allen indicator, which is better than nothing, but I'd rather

Thanks a bunch!!

Mike Welch

<instructionsT2andT3.pdf>
[b]

bbradburry(at)bellsouth.n

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Trim tab indicator Reply with quote

Mike,
You can get bifocals (trifocals?) with the close lens on the top and on the bottom and the distance vision in the middle. This might help with your problem if you need to mount stuff on the ceiling of your cockpit. Personally, I would not do that since I have close vision problems as well. I wear progressive lenses which allow me to compensate for things at different distances but still close. I just move my head around and can bring things into focus anywhere in the cockpit.
When I am working in the plane and have to see close, but must look thru the top of my glasses, I just use reading glasses so every thing close is in focus. Works fine unless I try to walk across the hangar… :>)
Oh the trials and tribulations of getting old! Beats the hell out of the alternative, though. :>)

Bill B

Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 4:39 PM
Subject: RE: AeroElectric-List: Trim tab indicator

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I could have been more specific. I have the trim tab
on the elevator, not an aileron. Impossible to see the tab's position in flight.

I would like some sort of lighted indication to show it's position, and preferably something I
can focus on. Something the size of a quarter 12 " away from my eyes isn't too good, neither is
the quarter sized LEDs on my instrument panel 36" away, although it's better.

If I had my druthers, I'd have a vertical line of (10) 3mm LEDs, half an inch apart. This I could
see REALLY well.

Mike

Subject: RE: Trim tab indicator
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 14:58:42 -0500
Hi Mike,
You’ve got a good system and I have the same and yes, the indicators are hard to read in any daylight. I’ve become accustomed to looking at the
trim tab on my left wing to see what’s going on. The elevator is more easily felt than seen and it has such authority that you can adjust it by feel much easier.
Best regards

Subject: Trim tab indicator

Guys,

wire is the wiper)

etc, etc.

Thanks a bunch!!

Mike Welch

Quote:
-List" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-Listttp://forums.matronics.com=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Trim tab indicator Reply with quote

To Etienne and Bill,

The problem with tearing apart the factory indicator and trying to afix my own
LEDs (and it be successful) is it's a $100 gamble.  I could more easily live with it
in one piece,

Yeah, I know if someone has come up with a solid state design it would be
an expensive proposition.

I thought about the meter idea.  Still thinking about it.  Probably not likely to go that
route, tho. 

How about this idea??  
  Has anyone seen or are aware of a "linear switch type of thing.  My thinking is
I could attach something to the trim tab pushrod, and have it make contact along a linear
set of contacts.  

My eyes probably aren't as bad as I make it sound.  I just need glasses for reading, a lot like
most other guys in their 50's and 60's.  I'm not like I'm "Mr Magoo blind", or anything.

The truth is, if I had to, I could live with that little sucker on my overhead panel.  I'd rather
do that,  than cut it up and try to make it into what I'm after., and risk throwing away $100.
  I could even live with it on my front panel, too.  

I was just curious of anyone knew of an "already existing" design floating around somewhere.

Thanks for your input.                  Mike Welch

[quote][b]

Allen Fulmer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Trim tab indicator Reply with quote

Mike – Do you have an EFIS? I know my GRT Horizon will display the trim servo position using the 3 wires you mention. I suspect the other EFIS players will do likewise.

By the way, I have two of the MAC led indicators that I will not be using and you would be welcome to one. I don’t know what they are worth but for $5.00 I will mail one to you.

Like others have said, they are not very readable in sunlight. I have one in my RV4 that is useless. But I also do not need to see the trim tab position as I adjust by feel in flight and a certain “guesstimate” for takeoff position.

Allen Fulmer
2458 Oakwoods Ln.
Alexander City, AL 35010

Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:52 PM
Subject: RE: AeroElectric-List: Trim tab indicator

To Etienne and Bill,

The problem with tearing apart the factory indicator and trying to afix my own
LEDs (and it be successful) is it's a $100 gamble. I could more easily live with it
in one piece,

Yeah, I know if someone has come up with a solid state design it would be
an expensive proposition.

I thought about the meter idea. Still thinking about it. Probably not likely to go that
route, tho.

How about this idea??
Has anyone seen or are aware of a "linear switch type of thing. My thinking is
I could attach something to the trim tab pushrod, and have it make contact along a linear
set of contacts.

My eyes probably aren't as bad as I make it sound. I just need glasses for reading, a lot like
most other guys in their 50's and 60's. I'm not like I'm "Mr Magoo blind", or anything.

The truth is, if I had to, I could live with that little sucker on my overhead panel. I'd rather
do that, than cut it up and try to make it into what I'm after., and risk throwing away $100.
I could even live with it on my front panel, too.

I was just curious of anyone knew of an "already existing" design floating around somewhere.

Thanks for your input.   Mike Welch
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Alexander City, AL
mikerv6a(at)ao-cs.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Trim tab indicator Reply with quote

Mike

If you decide to construct an indicator, it's certainly
possible to use various single-chip microcontrollers
to do this job. For a simpler solution, check out
National Semiconductor's LM3914 bar graph display driver:

http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM3914.pdf

It's fairly likely that this is the basis of the Allen
trim display.

Available from several distributors.

Mike Linse
Corvallis, OR

Quote:
I was just curious of anyone knew of an "already existing" design
floating
around somewhere.

Thanks for your input. Mike Welch

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Trim tab indicator Reply with quote

At 08:29 PM 10/13/2010, you wrote:
Quote:

Mike

If you decide to construct an indicator, it's certainly
possible to use various single-chip microcontrollers
to do this job. For a simpler solution, check out
National Semiconductor's LM3914 bar graph display driver:

There's another option. We have a quantity of
Tripplet 120 minature meter movements. This
is the same core we use for the 9007 loadmeter.
These could be offered as trim indicators also
by fitting with scale plates not unlike those
shown here:

http://www.aeroelectric.com/Pictures/Instruments/Trim/Trim_Indicators.pdf

Bob . . .

user9253

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Trim tab indicator Reply with quote

Allen Fulmer's idea of connecting the trim servo pot to an EFIS is the easiest.
If no EFIS, then the schematic on page 2 of the data sheet referenced by Mike Linse will work. http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM3914.pdf
For the 0V to 5V signal source, make a 5 volt regulator like this: http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/psu_5v.html
Connect aircraft power to the input of the 5 volt regulator.
Connect ground and the output of the 5 volt regulator to the trim servo pot orange and blue wires.
Connect the green wire from the servo pot to pin 5 of the LM3914N.
Joe

Eric M. Jones

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Trim tab indicator Reply with quote

I've posted lots on this subject, and offer a TSCMR (True Servo Controller for MAC-RAC), which allows you to use a linear or rotary potentiometer or stepped resistor switch to control the trim box. Even if you don't want one, the details should interest you:

periheliondesign.com/moreproductsfiles/ServoController%20macrac.pdf

I decided to re-engineer the TSCMR with many additional features but don't currently sell it. It got complicated. Details on request.

Regarding position indicators, the advantage of using a pot, trim wheel or any non-pushbutton means of control is knowing where the trim is set. The Ray Allen trim indicator expects 1.28V MAX voltage. Minimum voltage is raised off zero a tiny bit, but not enough to prevent transmitter, intercom, etc. noise from getting into the display.

There are a zillion ways to build higher output LED bar graphs, any you'll probably have to roll your own with brighter LEDs. The LM3914 is current limited. Perhaps the easiest approach is drive optoisolators such as 10 of the TLP222G which then drive whatever LED you want up to 85 mA or so.

Google "Bargraph kit" for many available roll your own kits.

RAC Trim and Trim Indicator Schematics.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  RAC Trim and Trim Indicator Schematics.pdf
 Filesize:  16.84 KB
 Downloaded:  502 Time(s)

Southbridge, MA 01550
(508) 764-2072
emjones(at)charter.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Trim tab indicator Reply with quote

> I've posted lots on this subject, and offer a TSCMR (True Servo Controller for MAC-RAC> --------
Quote:
Eric M. Jones
www.PerihelionDesign.com

Eric,

That is a very nice article and design you've got.  Probably more than I need at this point, tho.

From the contributions so far, I have an little bar graph indicator coming from Allen Fulmer, which I
will check out.  Next, and what seems to hold the most promise, is that circuit Joe Gore supplied using
the LM3914.  I suspect that that will be the one I use.  It appears to be easy enough (for me) to build,
and provides exactly what I was after in the first place...a line of 3mm LEDs, with one lit up to show the
tabs position.
  I like the meter Bob offered, too, but the LED design is my preferred goal.

Thanks to everyone for their generous input.  This list is truly an asset to the homebuilt enthusiast!!

Mike Welch
[quote][b]

klburris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Trim Tab Indicator Reply with quote

[img]cid:image001.jpg(at)01CB6C74.3B3D9990[/img] <![endif]-->
Bob:
A couple of questions on your miniature meter movements;
How does one change the scale? Is it difficult to get the face plate off? Would just a piece of paper with the scale you want printed on it be sufficient for the scale or would you have to use a special paper? I presume the meter is a 0 to full scale operation. Is there any ‘easy’ way to make it a center zero meter such that you could use it for a –30 0 30 ammeter? Also, I was unable to find the product listing for the price of the miniature meter on your webpage. How much is the meter?
Thanks in advance.
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
-- Keith
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
Bob Nuckolls wrote;
Quote:
There's another option. We have a quantity ofTripplet 120 miniature meter movements. Thisis the same core we use for the 9007 loadmeter.These could be offered as trim indicators alsoby fitting with scale plates not unlike thoseshown here:http://www.aeroelectric.com/Pictures/Instruments/Trim/Trim_Indicators.pdf<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>

image001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.29 KB
 Viewed:  10821 Time(s)

image001.jpg

image002.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.65 KB

image002.gif

image001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.29 KB

image001.jpg

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Trim Tab Indicator Reply with quote

At 03:21 PM 10/15/2010, you wrote:

Bob:

A couple of questions on your miniature meter movements;

How does one change the scale?

I lay out a new scale plate in AutoCAD.
For b/w plates, I print the new scale on
full-sheet Avery label material (sticky
back w/peel-off cover) and a laser printer.
For color I use matt photo paper and color
printer. New scales are attached to the back
side of the existing scale plate.

Is it difficult to get the face plate off?

I don't take off the old one, just put the
new one over the old one or on the back side
of the existing plate.

Would just a piece of paper with the scale you
want printed on it be sufficient for the scale or
would you have to use a special paper? I presume
the meter is a 0 to full scale operation. Is
there any ‘easy’ way to make it a center zero
meter such that you could use it for a –30 0 30 ammeter?

It depends on the pointer's zero-springs.
SOMETIMES . . . the rear spring has enough
adjustment travel to allow moving the zero-
current pointer position to the center of
the movement's travel. I've not tried it
with these devices that I can recall.

Also, I was unable to find the product listing
for the price of the miniature meter on your webpage. How much is the meter?

The instruments I hypothesized in the posting
do not exist. I would have to do some 'real'
scale stickers and modify some new instruments.
I have a load-meter that is already in stock.

https://matronics.com/aeroelectric/Catalog/AEC/9007/9007.html

The instrument with a shunt is $70. To do a
one-of-a-kind would be a bit more.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: