Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lower Elevator cable rub

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
challgren(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Lower Elevator cable rub Reply with quote

701 Builders:

I refer to 7-C-0 of the 701 drawings. I have used a small bungee cord on the upper elevator cable to keep the two cables from rubbing together as per the note on the side of the page. However, the lower elevator cable still rubs on the aft edge of the extended baggage compartment when the stick is full forward; i.e. elevator in full down position. There are three rivets that the cable catches on when aileron is applied in either direction. I am looking for a solution and am considering reversing the rivets the cable rubs on and installing a nylon rub strip so the cable will have something to easily slide on. Any suggestions?

I recognize that the only time full forward stick might be used is in a stall recovery but if the stick is lashed full forward when parked the cable would likely vibrate and induce wear to the cable.

Also, the top of the Horizontal tail bellcrank (7C1-1) contacts the seat back channel (7F6-5) when the stick is full forward and some distortion of the channel occurs. Is this likely to cause a problem when the seat is occupied or is it an acceptable interaction between the two items?

Stan Challgren 701/3300

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
challgren(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Lower Elevator cable rub Reply with quote

701 Builders:

I refer to 7-C-0 of the 701 drawings. I have used a small bungee cord on the upper elevator cable to keep the two cables from rubbing together as per the note on the side of the page. However, the lower elevator cable still rubs on the aft edge of the extended baggage compartment when the stick is full forward; i.e. elevator in full down position. There are three rivets that the cable catches on when aileron is applied in either direction. I am looking for a solution and am considering reversing the rivets the cable rubs on and installing a nylon rub strip so the cable will have something to easily slide on. Any suggestions?

I recognize that the only time full forward stick might be used is in a stall recovery but if the stick is lashed full forward when parked the cable would likely vibrate and induce wear to the cable.

Also, the top of the Horizontal tail bellcrank (7C1-1) contacts the seat back channel (7F6-5) when the stick is full forward and some distortion of the channel occurs. Is this likely to cause a problem when the seat is occupied or is it an acceptable interaction between the two items?

Stan Challgren 701/3300

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

n752ms(at)softcom.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Lower Elevator cable rub Reply with quote

Stanley.

That sounds like a reasonable fix, but I would first find out why the cable
rubs in the first place. Mine is about two inches away from the aft baggage
compartment.

My bell crank also hits the seat back and I just bent the channel out of the
way.

I have about 150 hours and no issues with the bell crank or the bungee cord.
I put a cable wheel at the end of my bungee so that it wouldn't rub on the
cable. It works a lot smoother than just the hook on the end.

Mark S.
701/912ULS
do not archive
--------------------------------------------------
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:11 PM
To: "zenith701801-list zenith" <zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Lower Elevator cable rub

Quote:

<challgren(at)mac.com>

701 Builders:

I refer to 7-C-0 of the 701 drawings. I have used a small bungee cord on
the upper elevator cable to keep the two cables from rubbing together as
per the note on the side of the page. However, the lower elevator cable
still rubs on the aft edge of the extended baggage compartment when the
stick is full forward; i.e. elevator in full down position. There are
three rivets that the cable catches on when aileron is applied in either
direction. I am looking for a solution and am considering reversing the
rivets the cable rubs on and installing a nylon rub strip so the cable
will have something to easily slide on. Any suggestions?

I recognize that the only time full forward stick might be used is in a
stall recovery but if the stick is lashed full forward when parked the
cable would likely vibrate and induce wear to the cable.

Also, the top of the Horizontal tail bellcrank (7C1-1) contacts the seat
back channel (7F6-5) when the stick is full forward and some distortion of
the channel occurs. Is this likely to cause a problem when the seat is
occupied or is it an acceptable interaction between the two items?

Stan Challgren 701/3300

dougsnash

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Lower Elevator cable rub Reply with quote

Stan, I had similar cable interference issues to what you are describing. I ended up cutting the elevator belcrank off of the flapperon torque tube and building it's own mount. The mount ties into the back of the tunnel at the front and ties into the channel that supports the back of the torque tube at the rear.

Whit this is setup I have eliminated the elevator cable tightening effect of the flapperons. You also need to build a push rod for the elevator that has rod ends on it as the push rod will need to move in more than one axis.

I placed my separation bungee in the correct location so that it keeps the cable from contacting the bottom of the baggage compartment. It is actually hooked on one of my turnbuckle eyelets.

As for the channel on the back of the seat, loosen the top elevator cable a little and tighten the bottom(as observed from the elevator). This will move the belcrank until it clears the seat back.

The elevator rigging is about the poorest documented part of the CH-701. After nearly twenty-five years you'd think they'd have come up with a bit better instructions.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that while my plane has completed it's final inspection, I have not yet flown with this arrangement. Your milage may vary. Once I have some time on my plane and have verified that this setup is bullet proof, I will do up a little description for Jon to put in the newsletter.

Do Not Archive

Doug MacDonald
CH-701 C-GBQX
NW Ontario, Canada

Waiting on paperwork

--- On Tue, 10/12/10, Stanley A Challgren <challgren(at)mac.com> wrote:

Quote:
Subject: Lower Elevator cable rub

Quote:
701 Builders:

I refer to 7-C-0 of the 701 drawings.  I have used a
small bungee cord on the upper elevator cable to keep the
two cables from rubbing together as per the note on the side
of the page.  However, the lower elevator cable still
rubs on the aft edge of the extended baggage compartment
when the stick is full forward; i.e. elevator in full down
position.  There are three rivets that the cable
catches on when aileron is applied in either
direction.  I am looking for a solution and am
considering reversing the rivets the cable rubs on and
installing a nylon rub strip so the cable will have
something to easily slide on.  Any suggestions?

I recognize that the only time full forward stick might be
used is in a stall recovery but if the stick is lashed full
forward when parked the cable would likely vibrate and
induce wear to the cable. 

Also, the top of the Horizontal tail bellcrank (7C1-1)
contacts the seat back channel (7F6-5) when the stick is
full forward and some distortion of the channel
occurs.  Is this likely to cause a problem when the
seat is occupied or is it an acceptable interaction between
the two items?

Stan Challgren 701/3300

lgold(at)quantum-associat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Lower Elevator cable rub Reply with quote

Stan,
I had the same issues. To stop the bellcrank from rubbing against the
seat-back I installed a piece of 1/8" "L" covered with thin rubber to stop
the bottom of the bellcrank from moving too far to the rear. To stop any
cable chafe I put a less-tense bungee on the lower elevator cable. 3-years
later this still works. The plane flies hands off.
Les

--

ruruny(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Lower Elevator cable rub Reply with quote

For the belcrank hitting the back seat I made a stop at the elevator itself and then when installing the control cables
adjusted them so the belcrank stops about a 1/4" from the seat back. For the cable hitting the baggage area, had the
same thing the bungee pulls it down and to the side to keep it from rubbing.

See pic

P1000926.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.97 MB
 Viewed:  8220 Time(s)

P1000926.JPG

txpilot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower Elevator cable rub Reply with quote

Stan,

I had the exact same issue regarding the elevator cable rubbing against the baggage compartment aft edge. I contacted Roger at Zenith and he says this is common. In fact, it happened on their demo plane.

The solution Roger recommended was attaching a nylon bearing on the bottom of the baggage compartment. This is acceptable if the cable deflection is less than 3 degrees. If it's greater than 3 degrees (unlikely for this problem), the solution gets tougher because a pulley is required. See the attached photo for my solution.

Regarding the seat back channel interference, could you consider installing a slightly smaller pitch control rod? The elevator bellcrank should be just a hair away from the seat back channel when the stick is full forward. Adjustments to the elevator full forward position can be done by adjusting your turnbuckles so the elevator is full down at 28 to 30 degrees with the bellcrank almost contacting the seat back channel.

Best Regards,

Dan Ginty
N787DG

Elevator Cable Bearing 15APR10.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  669.49 KB
 Viewed:  8190 Time(s)

Elevator Cable Bearing 15APR10.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: