Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mono brake caliper position

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
graeme bird

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: mono brake caliper position Reply with quote

I have a problem with my classic kit 176 in build, the pictures and words show the caliper to be roughly in line with the arm coming down. And if it was it would clear my rudder cables when retracted, but the holes drilled in Torque plate LG21 are as per the drawing 29M-8 issue 1 and cause the caliper to be angled upwards 20-30 deg creating the conflict. If one looks at diag 29M-9 and 29M-8 its clear thats going to happen. Tempted to redrill LG21.

Anyone else had this issue?

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

Kit2 G-PATS - (kesterton) Mono Classic 912 warpdrive
Kit 1 G-UMPY - Mono Classic/XS 912S, Woodcomp G(@)gdbmk.co.uk
JonSmith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: mono brake caliper position Reply with quote

Graeme, the original design was for the caliper to hang down at about 90 deg to the swinging arm. Problem with that was if you got a puncture it would damage it. The later design is (as you say) for the caliper to be more or less in line with the swinging arm. Bit more aerodynamic too.

To achieve the new position the caliper mounting/ back plate angle is changed but sadly the three bolt holes in the plate are not compatible - as you said, rotating the old plate puts the caliper too high up. It needs to rotate about 90 deg but the holes are of course 120 deg apart. Best thing is to buy a new plate from the factory which will have the new hole pattern. I did that some years ago and fitted it when I next had the wheel out - 5 minute job with the wheel out. I don't remember it costing too much. I don't know if it's possible to re-drill the old one - I didn't bother. It might be the holes would be too close, even overlapping??

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: