Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tent hangars anyone? Looking for input.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geoff Heap

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Tent hangars anyone? Looking for input. Reply with quote

I am strongly considering purchasing a tent hangar from shelter logic. They can be viewed at. http://www.shelterlogic.com/pk_30x28x16.html
This would be for my 701. Shelter logic is the best product I've found. At the grass strip where I will erect it, there is one there that measures 26’ wide X 30’ deep and 12’ high. The guy keeps a Rans S12 in it. The 701 would not fit in this size building. I would have to go to the 30’ wide. Unfortunately, at 30’ wide the height goes up to 16’. My concern is the wind. I'm afraid I'll show up one day and it will be gone. One bright note is that I would be backed up to a wooded area that would protect me from the prevailing westerly winds. I'm looking for any kind of input to help me make a decision. Recommendations? horror stories/warnings? Any thoughts at all. It's a one time expense that could last up to 10 years before it would need a new cover. The product is definitely worth the money. Anyone else own one?......Geoff

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

randy(at)rjhebertassoc.co

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Tent hangars anyone? Looking for input. Reply with quote

Geoff
I used a cheap canopy in my back yard last year. The biggest problem is anchoring it.

If the structure is well fastened and well anchored, the concept is that the canvas will tear away without damaging the structure.

That is in an ideal world.

When I will put mine back together for my next phase of work, I will do a lot better job of anchoring it.

My pipe joints just slipped together, this time I will actually drill and bolt them together, and do a better job of anchoring the posts.

All in all I believe they have their place as long as you are aware of the risks Smile

E-mail me off line if you wish to know more.

Randall J Hebert
Randall J Hebert & Associates, Inc
Consulting Engineers
Ph 337-261-1976 Fx 337-261-1977
--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dwilde(at)clearwire.net

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Tent hangars anyone? Looking for input. Reply with quote

On 11/16/2010 12:29 PM, Geoff Heap wrote:
Quote:

I am strongly considering purchasing a tent hangar from shelter logic. They can be viewed at. http://www.shelterlogic.com/pk_30x28x16.html
This would be for my 701. Shelter logic is the best product I've found. At the grass strip where I will erect it, there is one there that measures 26’ wide X 30’ deep and 12’ high. The guy keeps a Rans S12 in it. The 701 would not fit in this size building. I would have to go to the 30’ wide. Unfortunately, at 30’ wide the height goes up to 16’. My concern is the wind. I'm afraid I'll show up one day and it will be gone. One bright note is that I would be backed up to a wooded area that would protect me from the prevailing westerly winds. I'm looking for any kind of input to help me make a decision. Recommendations? horror stories/warnings? Any thoughts at all. It's a one time expense that could last up to 10 years before it would need a new cover. The product is definitely worth the money. Anyone else own one?......Geoff

--------
Dual controls. Dynon 180. Icom 210 Garmin 296. Becker transponder. Sigtronics intercom. Electric flaperons.

FWIW: I used to be part owner in a tent hangar and overall it went well.

However the door can be a weak point. We had the door push in during
high winds and it slightly damaged one of the ultralights inside. We
then reinforced the center of the door so it could not bow inwards.
Also, the fabric did not last 10 years. After I moved out, the owners
put up metal siding to replace some of the fabric. There is no security
to these units either from either human or animal pests.

The 26 ft X 30 ft shelter could work for you. You just have to put the
plane on car dollies and push it in sideways. This is what I do since
the door on my metal shop is only 12 feet wide.

DW
N948DW

cscsail(at)gmavt.net

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Tent hangars anyone? Looking for input. Reply with quote

Geoff,
I bought a 30X40 from them for my 701 and erected it at VT8 (Shelburne Vt.)
It's survived some very strong winds and snow loads with no problems of any
kind in almost 3 years.
The only issue (minor) is that when it's closed up, the inside tends to turn
into a terrarium during the summer with water constantly condensing on the
inside and raining down on the plane. I even covered the ground with heavy
black poly and then a layer or gravel in an afford to easy the problem. The
solution is to leave the door open, which I do most of the time. Winter
isn't a problem. I suspect the severity of the problem will vary with your
particular climate. Bottom line is that it's a great hangar for a very
reasonable price.
Gordon

---

ruruny(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Tent hangars anyone? Looking for input. Reply with quote

Hey Geoff,

I bought a tent hangar last year that was already installed at spadaro airport for 5k in marginal shape.
It was not used for a while, it looked more like a greenhouse inside. With some cleanup it has worked out very well.
On March 12 of this year we had a Noreaster with sustained winds of 75-80 mph gusting through out the night.
I had gotten a call that the door was breaking loose and had to spend the night out there saving my airplane.
The wind was hitting the door direct on.
The wind had pulled the 6 cement anchors out of the ground and were dangling from the bottom of the door by
the ratchet straps. We tied the bottom of the door to a box truck, and that saved the structure.
The hangar next to me was blown 250 away and it had a generator chained to the structure.
This hangar was just sitting on some wood. If you want your hangar to survive, the sides the length of the structure
will have to have a poured foundation. Also there are flaps on the bottom that should not be weighted or fastened
down. These are key to its high wind rating. On my door I used cardboard tubes(6) and poured cement into them
with anchors on top. When I installed the tubes I had dug holes, put the tubes in and backfilled around them. This
was a big mistake. When the door blew the smooth tubes around the disturbed dirt pulled right out.
I redid each one by digging bell shaped holes 3 feet down and poured in 4 80 lb bags each. We've had some bad storms
since and they haven't budged. Here are some photos( the next morning) of what could happen if you don't use cement down the sides and
solid cement with anchors to hold the door down. Loose the door, u loose the building. That night I tied the airplane
to anything I could, the nose to my engine hoist, the wing to the trailer. Also the RV was not tied down in the tent, it just
pivoted into the wind and stayed put.The tent and structure can be seen in the background.
The wind was still howling in the morning so we did what we could to secure it.

Brian
http://www.701builder.com

P1020522_[640x480].JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  62.97 KB
 Viewed:  16774 Time(s)

P1020522_[640x480].JPG

P1020524_[640x480].JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  75.46 KB

P1020524_[640x480].JPG

P1020531_[640x480].JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.31 KB

P1020531_[640x480].JPG

P1020537_[640x480].JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.26 KB

P1020537_[640x480].JPG

Geoff Heap

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Tent hangars anyone? Looking for input. Reply with quote

Thanks guys. This is a lot to think about. I'm going to check out the site on Saturday morning. I'll post an update....Geoff

rogwibb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Tent hangars anyone? Looking for input. Reply with quote

Geoff Heap wrote:

Geoff

I too looked at the tent hangars but was concerned about the winds. In checking with our county building department I found that I would have to pay a very expensive building permit fee (even for a tent as long as it was fixed to the ground) and I would have to have poured concrete footings. With that in mind, I elected to build a 24 x 30 metal carport with a concrete floor. A little more expensive, but it has served me well, and I sleep well at night.

Roger

dashwood

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tent hangars anyone? Looking for input. Reply with quote

we see a lot of wood and tin "T" hangers up here. 3ft snow loads . 8 4x4 posts , 16 2 x 4 x 8', 18 2 x 4 x 10' , 2 16' joist, 1 header beam 24' (web joist) and covering = sheet metal or barn-board or tarp walls and roofing of some kind. sometimes the posts are just pinned to the ground with stakes and sometimes dug in 3'. no doors , airy = no condensation

jetboy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tent hangars anyone? Looking for input. Reply with quote

I built one specifically for my 701 and its done well for 3 years now. In that time its been moved along the airfield once without being disassembled.

If you join the Zenith.aero site there are photos / descriptions.

http://www.zenith.aero/photo/interior-1?xg_source=activity
I put polyester tarp on the ground for a floor, and some venting at the apex front and rear.

I do get some dew on humid days, but I got those problems when renting a nice concrete floor steel hangar nearby anyway. The polyester fabric seems to allow warmth in so the so any condensation is gone much sooner than a metal clad hangar.

Ralph

Geoff Heap

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Tent hangars anyone? Looking for input. Reply with quote

Based on information gained here and more price checking with Shelter Logic, I've decided to up the game. I don’t trust the Peak structured tents I was looking at any more. I'm getting a different type that’s classed as an Engineered structure with a specific use as an aircraft hangar. It's the one shown in Brian Unruh’s 4th picture above. I'm being quoted $6,697 +$300-$400 shipping from Connecticut. Size 35’ wide X 30’ deep X 13’. Just passing along what I've found out and what I've decided. Thanks to the guys that responded HERE with their input and experiences. The #2 picture of Brian’s showing wind damage looks like the model I was going to get. A $4000 mistake.
No one HERE mentioned security of these structures but if some one did I would have to say I'm not concerned about it. If some one wanted to steal my plane or my stuff then I'm sure they would find a way to get it. Thanks guys. Especially Brian and Gordon who provided further info offline……Geoff

ruruny(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Tent hangars anyone? Looking for input. Reply with quote

Geoff,

Good choice on the hangar, the guy 2 down from me has the same hangar, it looks brand new been there 5 years and
been through some tough weather. As long as you have a solid foundation and keep all the straps tight it will last a very
long time. Have you chosen color? Mine is white and allows alot of sunlight in for a bright and airy feel. It collects alot of
dirt on top not on the sides and looks like c**p. The guy 2 down has green on the outside and its white on the inside.
Its very dark and dreary but it looks like he put it up there yesterday. If there is grass all around, the dirt and dust should
not be a problem. Spadaro airport is a dust bowl.

Brian
[quote][b]

Geoff Heap

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Tent hangars anyone? Looking for input. Reply with quote

Hi Brian. I'm getting the white. How is your test phase going?...Geoff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: