Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pneumatic tail wheel for FS-2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miyer2u

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Pneumatic tail wheel for FS-2 Reply with quote

Dear Kolbers,
I wanted to check if any of you have modified your standard Kolb tail wheel to a pneumatic wheel/ tire.
My present FS-2 has the standard 3” solid metal wheel reinforced with some sort of hard material and has a 360 degree swivel action. I have always thought of going in for a softer pneumatic or soft rubber tail wheel that will pose less of a shock/vibration to the boom tube during a three point landing.

Matco makes a 6” pneumatic wheel, which will not fit in the stock tail wheel fork assembly, hence wanted to run it by you to check if you had any better options. Please also suggest the vendor from where I could purchase one!

Thanks much.

Mahesh Iyer
(FS-2 – Ashland, Oregon)
The joy of Flight ……Nothing comes closer, it’s a romance for life!

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Pneumatic tail wheel for FS-2 Reply with quote

> Matco makes a 6"pneumatic wheel, which will not fit in the stock tail wheel fork assembly, hence wanted to run it by you to check if you had any better options. Please also suggest the vendor from where I could purchase one!
Quote:

Thanks much.

Mahesh Iyer
(FS-2 – Ashland, Oregon)

Hi Mahesh,

Irecently installed the Matco 6" pneumatic tailwheel (from Aircraft Spruce) you mentioned. I like it a lot, and the
proportions look perfect for a MkIII. I'd imagine it would look great on a Firestar, too. It has the full pivot "break away"
feature, for extremely hard turning.

Regarding the "non fit" you talked about, I made an adapter to go from the stock 3/4" aluminum rod to the
1 1/4" flat spring mount. If you decide to go this route, send me a private message, and I'll give the material
list & the proceedure I used to make the adapter. (see attached photos)
The Matco instrunction say to mount the taliwheel so that the swiveling part is as vertical as possible. I used
templates that I scribed along the aluminum rod....determined the angle of the rod, compared to the floor, cut
the chromoly tubing to fit my template, tack the parts with my MIG, checked for the angle....all was good, then
welded it up nice and solid. I think the entire process of making the adapter took just over two hours, plus paint
time.

Mike Welch
MkIII CX

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

tailwheel_pics_001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.51 KB
 Viewed:  6431 Time(s)

tailwheel_pics_001.jpg

tailwheel_pics_002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.7 KB

tailwheel_pics_002.jpg

tailwheel_pics_003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  125.88 KB

tailwheel_pics_003.jpg

tailwheel_pics_006.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  122.09 KB

tailwheel_pics_006.jpg

by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Pneumatic tail wheel for FS-2 Reply with quote

I recently installed the Matco 6" pneumatic tailwheel (from Aircraft Spruce) you mentioned. I like it a lot, and the
proportions look perfect for a MkIII. I'd imagine it would look great on a Firestar, too. It has the full pivot "break away"
feature, for extremely hard turning.

Mike Welch
MkIII CX

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

what was the cost?

boyd young

do not archive
[quote][b]

mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Pneumatic tail wheel for FS-2 Reply with quote

>what was the cost?
>boyd young
>do not archive

Hi Boyd,

The tailwheel is $179 at A/C Spruce. IIRC, they charged $14 for the shipping.
That makes $193. With paint and a new 3/8 nut & bolt, it comes in at just under $200.

IMO, one of the best features I've added to my plane. I do not anticipate any
grass field landings in my local flying areas, so a pneumatic tailwheel was important
to me. I am happy with the results.

Mike W.
[quote]
[b]

miyer2u

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pneumatic tail wheel for FS-2 Reply with quote

Hello Mike,
Thanks for sharing the pictures of your airplanes tail wheel assembly. You have done a nice job with it. Looks great!
I agree it will be a good improvement from the stock wheel and will help reduce undue vibrations to be passed over the boom tube!

Mahesh
(FS-2 Ashland, Oregon)
The joy of Flight.. Nothing comes closer, its a romance for life!

Jimmy Young

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pneumatic tail wheel for FS-2 Reply with quote

Quote:
I wanted to check if any of you have modified your standard Kolb tail wheel to a pneumatic wheel/ tire.

Mahesh,

I did this on my Firestar. I bought a wheel at Tractor Supply that is soft rubber, about 5" dia., cost maybe $10, and had a guy weld up a wheel attach bracket that duplicated the original. I used to get stuck in pavement joints with the old "pie cutter" wheel when at an airport. This one has worked well for about 3 years now.

100_0070.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  493.33 KB
 Viewed:  6361 Time(s)

100_0070.JPG

100_0069.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  443.71 KB
 Viewed:  6361 Time(s)

100_0069.JPG

miyer2u

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Pneumatic tail wheel for FS-2 Reply with quote

Jimmy,
Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Mahesh
FS-2 -Ashland,OR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: