Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel pressure question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Watkinsdw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Fuel pressure question Reply with quote

Greetings, Kolbers,

When I decrease throttle from cruise flight to approach-to-land, I'll go from about 4800 rpms to about 3200 rpms. This frequently triggers my Grand Rapids EIS alarm, indicating high fuel pressure. It reads 6.3 to 6.4 psi, and hovers around there till I land. I've got the alarm set at 6.2psi.
The Rotax 912 book calls for a fuel pressure range of 2.2 to 5.8.
My question is, should I be worried, or is a temporary excessive fuel pressure condition acceptable?

Anyone else had this experience? I checked with Lockwood and they said a 600-hour engine should be showing low fuel pressure if there was wear occurring, not high. They thought it might be a bad or fouled sending unit.
I figure the risk of high pressure is that it might overpower the needle valve in the carb float chamber and cause flooding. This hasn't occurred yet, and I'd prefer that it doesn't!

Thanks in advance for your help,
Dave Watkins

MK-IIIC w/ Rotax 912
630 hours, TT
100 hours flying it
Pompano Beach, FL

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Fuel pressure question Reply with quote

> My question is, should I be worried, or is a temporary excessive fuel
pressure condition acceptable?
Quote:

> Dave Watkins

Dave W/Gang:

10ths of a psi? If it was mine, I would worry too much. I have no fuel
pressure indicator and all three of my 912 engines have done just fine on
the engine driven pump and when I am running both the Facet and the engine
driven pump.

How accurate do you think your instrumentation is?

john h
mkIII
Gila Bend, AZ - Was one of my refuel stops in 1994, on my way to Alaska.
Remember the OAT was 114F, and I saw my first Road Runner here.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Fuel pressure question Reply with quote

> 10ths of a psi? If it was mine, I would NOT worry too much.

Sorry about the omission of NOT in my previous. Getting old, losing memory
fast.

john h
mkIII
Gila Bend, AZ

Titus, Alabama
Watkinsdw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pressure question Reply with quote

Good question. No clue. I'll try and get a treasure gauge and check the accuracy of the eis reading.
Sounds like if it keeps running, and not flooding, it's probably ok.
Any other thoughts? Anyone know a good source of a not too expensive gauge?
Thanks!

Watkinsdw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pressure question Reply with quote

Oops! I meant "pressure gauge," not "treasure."
Damn spellcheck...
I already know my Kolb is a treasure!

by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Fuel pressure question Reply with quote

Good question. No clue. I'll try and get a treasure gauge and check the accuracy of the eis reading.
Sounds like if it keeps running, and not flooding, it's probably ok.
Any other thoughts? Anyone know a good source of a not too expensive gauge?
Thanks!
Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>most plumbing stores will have a 0 to 15 pound pressure gauge,,,, you may have to come up with some adapters and a t to put it in line for the test.

boyd

do not archive

[quote][b]

Watkinsdw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pressure question Reply with quote

Thanks, Boyd.
I'll check. The position of the sensor could also affect the reading. It's about three feet below the engine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: