Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rotax 582 and firestar 2 question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sean

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: rotax 582 and firestar 2 question Reply with quote

Frst off thx for a very informative site here. I recently obtained my advanced ultralight pilot permit here in Canada which is very similar to your lightsport in the united states.

Ideally for me a Kolb Mark 3 xtra with a mono float and 912s would do the trick ! Can someone lend me $15000 - $20000 ?

In the event that the xtra cash doesnt materialize plan B is a firestar 2 with a Full Lotus monofloat !

My question is why I dont see very many firestars with 582's and what the pro's here think the difference will be between the 2 engines with the mono float application ?

Cheers,
Sean

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Dana

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: rotax 582 and firestar 2 question Reply with quote

At 07:44 PM 11/28/2010, sean wrote:

Quote:
My question is why I dont see very many firestars with 582's and what the pro's here think the difference will be between the 2 engines with the mono float application ?

My friend has a FSII with a 503 and it's delightful, great performance (on wheels). He put Full Lotus amphib floats (two floats, not the monofloat) on it and said it flies like a cinder block. I only flew it with wheels, and it makes me (as a Cuyuna powered UltraStar owner) jealous. Without float, it doesn't _need_ a 582.

-Dana
--
Chaste: why virgins run. [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

lcottrell(at)fmtcblue.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: rotax 582 and firestar 2 question Reply with quote

The main problem with a 582 is that it burns about 5.5 gallons of gas an hour while only producing 65 hp. The extra weight is a problem as well.
Larry
Note: If you forward this email, please delete the forwarding history, which includes my email address.
[quote][b]

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: rotax 582 and firestar 2 question Reply with quote

The reason you don't see many FSII's with 582's is because the vertical fuselage tubes at the back end of the cage were not designed to take the extra torque the 582 makes. When I was talking to the guys at Kolb several years ago prior to putting together our 582 powered FSII, they told me that if I hit a sharp thermal or turbulence in a full throttle climb, they couldn't guarantee that the tubes at the rear of the cage (supporting the motor mounts and rear spar carrythrough) would maintain integrity, because they were of a lesser wall thickness than the MKIII tubes. Which would probably result in the classic slow cars and sad music ceremony.

So that is why the motor mounts on N582EF have extra braces on them independent of the normal upper rear cage structure. And all is good.

And for Larry: compare the weight between the 503 and the 582. Quite an eye opener. According to the CPS "Rotax Engine Comparisons" on page 27 of my 2005 catalog, the 503 with C box, dual carbs and electric start is 113.9 pounds. The 582 with the same stuff plus radiator is 110.6. After you add coolant, they will not be different enough to matter.

The bonus comes at cruise, N582EF in it's previous incarnation cruised at 60 mph at 3 GPH at 4800 rpm. This time around it's a bit slicker. And for those who think Rotax 2-strokes must be run at 5800 rpm, um... can't do it - the airspeed is pushing redline by that point. So you can only use the extra power in climb, but at cruise, a loafing engine becomes a very good (and quiet) thing.
Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

And for a bonus - was planning to wait a few days until the final touches were done, but today we had it all together getting ready for the inspector and a couple more details, so took a few pictures and here she is. Before and after pictures. Haven't even pulled the plastic sheet off the Lexan yet...

1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.54 KB
 Viewed:  5263 Time(s)

1.jpg

P1130313 (Large).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  172.54 KB

P1130313 (Large).JPG

P1180917 (Large).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  153.49 KB

P1180917 (Large).JPG

sean

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: rotax 582 and firestar 2 question Reply with quote

Thanks all for the " heads up" and Richard ... NICE JOB ... VERY NICE JOB ... U-tube U-tube U-tube !!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: