Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Novice Kolb Pilot
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis Thate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Novice Kolb Pilot Reply with quote

Thanks Go Time....What a contrast a Lear jet to a Kolb Firestar. If it wasn't for this Firestar popping up on an add, I doubt I would have returned to flying at age 62. I also ride Honda Gold-wings , I always said; If I could only put wings on my GL1800, it would be a perfect world of thrill, reliability and performance.... The Kolb Firestar seems to fit the bill. A best of both worlds.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Novice Kolb Pilot Reply with quote

The injuries are usually the result of the
hose clamps failing that attach the nose gear,>>

Very good John. I had a good chuckle. I think the hose clamps are like any
other part of any construction which is used for something it was not
designed for. (Like trying to move rocks with the front wheel of your bike).
I always landed my Challenger on the mains and held the front wheel off as
long as possible.It was fine.
In fact on two occasions when the rubber band failed it was OK. The first
time, I landed fast and very untidily and a bit heavy after everything went
quiet at about 800 feet. The second time the landing was OK but getting her
out from a small, ridged field nearly shook my teeth out before I scraped
over the hedge. She leaped from ridge to ridge in a series of controlled
crashes but everything held together.
The CAA distributes a monthly list of mishaps and it is surprising how many
Cessnas etc come to grief from front wheel failure caused by wheelbarrowing
in on all three wheels

Good to have you back, John. Good flying.

Pat

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Dennis Thate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Novice Kolb Pilot Reply with quote

Gleamed from all this is...Air Speed, Pitch Control...Wheel Landings !

And a positive safe attitude. Not much different then a Goldwing Smile

Pitch Control.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.56 KB
 Viewed:  3425 Time(s)

Pitch Control.jpg

SAILNROCK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Novice Kolb Pilot Reply with quote

Hi Dennis
You gona be glad ya got a Kolb with the 503.
I've had mine for 1 1/2 yrs its great plane.
You can see my first flights at (http://www.youtube.com/user/Bob5246#p/u/9/LIiLQJ0Jxc0 )
Bobs first flight in Kolb firestar.
You can hear the 503 on take off and landing , to give you an idea .
I did some taxiing up and down the runway with tail up, plane level , to get the feel of pedals and plane.
When you feel good with fast taxi , ( 30 airspeed ) time to go.
To Take off just roll the throttle to give kolb time to level out and keep rolling on the throttle to full.
Kolb well life when the air speed to you WT. is over come and your in the air.
I went up to 1500 ft above deck to feel kolb and how she stalls . I got straight and level and pulled back the throttle to see where she would stall, for me it is 36 airspeed. and when she stalled ( below 35 Air speed for me)she drops nose down fast like 20 feet , but she recover vary fast ( and back up to 50 airspeed )
So when I came in to land I just keep my airspeed at 50/55 down to just above the deck , with all straight and level, and then rolled the throttle and she settled down on the deck,
But as I was told stay on the pedals tell you are stopped not before. and you are golden.
Latter when you get used to she you can come in 30 feet over the deck and roll down the throttle , put the nose down and glide her down . But wait till you get used to the kolb.
Hope this helps
Safe and great fly'n Bob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: