Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rotax 912 Idle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuffel(at)cyberport.net

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Rotax 912 Idle Reply with quote

John Hauck said:

<< 912ULS indicates 2,500 to 3,000 rpm with the throttle closed gliding. It
is more like 2,000 rpm. It idles
1,600 rpm on the ground static. >>

My Zenith CH701 friend has a 912S. It has the characteristic on the ground
of stopping when the throttle is pulled to full idle. As his friendly Flight
Advisor I find this worrisome if not downright unsafe. I've tried to get him
to increase his idle stop screws but he views it as a deliberate design
"feature" to replace the absent mixture idle cutoff. Any comments or
experience to assuage my fears or convince him of the error of his ways?

Tom Kuffel
Whitefish, MT

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Rotax 912 Idle Reply with quote

My Zenith CH701 friend has a 912S. It has the characteristic on the ground
of stopping when the throttle is pulled to full idle. As his friendly Flight
Advisor I find this worrisome if not downright unsafe. I've tried to get him
to increase his idle stop screws but he views it as a deliberate design
"feature" to replace the absent mixture idle cutoff. Any comments or
experience to assuage my fears or convince him of the error of his ways?

Tom Kuffel
Whitefish, MT

Tom K/Gang:

The 912 operators manual indicates the idle speed to be 1,400 rpm minimum.

No mention of "deliberate design feature to replace the absent mixture idle
cutoff."

I believe if Rotax wanted a mixture idle cutoff, they would have equipped
the 912 with a mixture control.

Never lost a 912 with the throttle closed during an approach, and don't want
to. For that matter, never had a 912 quit running in flight, except when I
screwed up and tried to fly with contaminated fuel. I didn't know the fuel
was contaminated because I did not drain fuel after I obtained it from an
unreliable source, even though I thought, at the time, both places were
reliable aviation fuel suppliers.

I have found with my one 912UL and two 912ULS's, they all like to idle
around 1,500 to 1,600 rpm.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Rotax 912 Idle Reply with quote

Tom,
It,s like teaching a pig to whistle,it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

G.Aman

--

kuffel(at)cyberport.net

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Rotax 912 Idle Reply with quote

<< My Zenith CH701 friend has a 912S. It has the characteristic on the ground of stopping when the throttle is pulled to full idle >>
<< It,s like teaching a pig to whistle,it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
G.Aman >>

Actually he has been pretty responsive to most of my suggestions and did a thorough and careful AC90-89 style preparation to his successful first flight.

After showing him John's response to my query he has agreed before his second flight to increase his idle set screws 1/2 turn at a time until he gets a stable idle above 1400. However since he is an (anti)snowbird, the next flight might not be until spring given the recent weather here.

Tom Kuffel
Whitefish, MT

[quote][b]

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Rotax 912 Idle Reply with quote

Tom,
Didn't sound that promising in your first post.Johns advice carries a lot more weight than most.My friend has a Savannah /912S.We set it mechanically, closing the throttle plates completely, then use a feeler gauge for base adjustment ,then 2 vac gauges on the crossover tube ports to get a very smooth idle at 1600.We also have a dynamic balancer we purchased as a group that made his 912 incredibly

smooth at RPM.
G.Aman

--

John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Rotax 912 Idle Reply with quote

We also have a dynamic balancer we purchased as a group that made his 912 incredibly

smooth at RPM.
G.Aman

Gary A/Gang:

What kind of "dynamic balancer" do you have?

I am assuming this is a prop balancer.

I bought a pair of good quality, viscous dampened vacuum gauges, a couple years ago, to balance my carbs on the 912. However, there was some discrepancy in readings between the two. After a couple tries at using the gauges to balance, I chucked them, and use mechanical balance only. Seemed I was doing a better job mechanically than with the vacuum gauges.

The mud daubers have built nest in my prop hub while I was recovering from my injuries. I got most of them out before I flew the other day, but need to remove the prop and extension in order to do a proper job of cleaning. Then I have to decide how to block the empty prop hub holes to prevent them from homesteading on my engine again.

28F, clear and cold in Titus, Alabama.

john h
mkIII
[quote][b]

Titus, Alabama
williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Rotax 912 Idle Reply with quote

John- For plugging/blocking stray holes, try spray foam in a can. Marketed under "Really Great Stuff", or a similar name. Available at Home Depot, Lowe's, or a hardware store. Expands to fit, can be trimmed with a saw or knife, weighs nothing, and won't hurt anything if it falls out. Cheap, too.

Bill Sullivan

--- On Mon, 12/6/10, John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com> wrote:

Quote:

Subject: Re: Rotax 912 Idle
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Monday, December 6, 2010, 9:08 AM

We also have a dynamic balancer we purchased as a group that made his 912 incredibly

smooth at RPM.
G.Aman

Gary A/Gang:

What kind of "dynamic balancer" do you have?

I am assuming this is a prop balancer.

I bought a pair of good quality, viscous dampened vacuum gauges, a couple years ago, to balance my carbs on the 912. However, there was some discrepancy in readings between the two. After a couple tries at using the gauges to balance, I chucked them, and use mechanical balance only. Seemed I was doing a better job mechanically than with the vacuum gauges.

The mud daubers have built nest in my prop hub while I was recovering from my injuries. I got most of them out before I flew the other day, but need to remove the prop and extension in order to do a proper job of cleaning. Then I have to decide how to block the empty prop hub holes to prevent them from homesteading on my engine again.

28F, clear and cold in Titus, Alabama.

john h
mkIII
Quote:

ollow target=_blank>www.aeroelectric.com
/" rel=nofollow target=_blank>www.buildersbooks.com
ofollow target=_blank>www.homebuilthelp.com
llow target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution
=nofollow target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
et=_blank>http://forums.matronics.com

[quote][b]

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Rotax 912 Idle Reply with quote

John,
web site for balancer is RPXTECH.com

G.Aman

--

John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Rotax 912 Idle Reply with quote

John- For plugging/blocking stray holes, try spray foam in a can. Marketed under "Really Great Stuff", or a similar name. Available at Home Depot, Lowe's, or a hardware store. Expands to fit, can be trimmed with a saw or knife, weighs nothing, and won't hurt anything if it falls out. Cheap, too.
      Bill Sullivan

Bill S/Gang:

Think that would work in bolt holes in the prop hub?

I used silicone seal to fill holes in the gear box.  Hesitated to use it on steel after some severe corrosion using it on a 4130 tail wheel strut.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

[quote][b]

Titus, Alabama
herbgh(at)nctc.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Rotax 912 Idle Reply with quote

Might try the non acetic acid silicone sealant...I am guessing that that was why you have corrosion? Never bought any so not sure of brands etc...The Long ez guys use it to make fiberglass lay ups which they mold around their engines for cooling baffles...Herb

At 08:43 AM 12/6/2010, you wrote:
[quote] John- For plugging/blocking stray holes, try spray foam in a can. Marketed under "Really Great Stuff", or a similar name. Available at Home Depot, Lowe's, or a hardware store. Expands to fit, can be trimmed with a saw or knife, weighs nothing, and won't hurt anything if it falls out. Cheap, too.

Bill Sullivan

Bill S/Gang:

Think that would work in bolt holes in the prop hub?

I used silicone seal to fill holes in the gear box. Hesitated to use it on steel after some severe corrosion using it on a 4130 tail wheel strut.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

[b]

by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Rotax 912 Idle Reply with quote

Actually he has been pretty responsive to most of my suggestions and did a thorough and careful AC90-89 style preparation to his successful first flight.

After showing him John's response to my query he has agreed before his second flight to increase his idle set screws 1/2 turn at a time until he gets a stable idle above 1400. However since he is an (anti)snowbird, the next flight might not be until spring given the recent weather here.

Tom Kuffel
Whitefish, MT

tom

while pulling a mixture control to kill most aircraft engines is a design feature,,, it is done by a separate control, and can't be done by accident while adjusting the throttle in an emergency or normal routine. if he wanted a way to kill the engine if the mag switches failed... have him fix up a control that will shut the fuel off either at the tanks or just before the carbs. it would take a bit longer to kill the engine because of the fuel in the float bowl.. but it would be better than killing the engine on short final only to find that because of wind, you needed a bit more power to make the runway.

maybe because he has agreed to 1400 rpm at idle... this may be too late to be of help... if he created a stop on the throttle quadrant that would keep the engine at a good idle speed... and have a way to disable the stop by depressing another control at the same time. then he could, only after overcoming the throttle stop, be able to pull the throttle to stop the engine.

the idle stop screws would be the best way to control the idle speed... as cable stretch would alter the settings if using a throttle stop.

boyd young
mkIII 912

[quote][b]

by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Rotax 912 Idle Reply with quote

John,
web site for balancer is RPXTECH.com

G.Aman

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>

Garry.... does the balancer change any between flights,,, and therefore take a little time to rebalance upon start up... or is it quite stable between flights.

boyd

[quote][b]

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Rotax 912 Idle Reply with quote

John,
The balancer tells you how much weight to add and where to add it.I put only a few grams under the prop attach bolts (washers in my case)or nuts.I have the info in the certificate holder in the airplane so I can't recall exactly how much weight total we added,but it was a few grams.We left the reflector tape on on as well,,just a small spot..The chart in the plane is a segmented circle showing degrees

and the weight added at those locations.

G.Aman

--

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Rotax 912 Idle Reply with quote

Boyd,
Sorry,After reading my first post it sounded like an accessory that bolted on .It's a procedure using this equipment.I thought my Jabiru was fairly smooth,but I could feel the difference after we balanced the prop.
G.Aman MK3C Jabiru 2200A 600hrs

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: