Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JL-7/Yak-152K History

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpayne(at)joimail.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: JL-7/Yak-152K History Reply with quote

Military bloggers have tracked this development for several years. The JL-7 is the production version of the prototype L-7/Yak-152K. This trainer will be built on production lines in both China and Russia, the differences will be avionics suites. Since the time the CJ-6 was made available to the western market, PLAAF planners have been looking for a replacement that fit the budget. After evaluating the Yak-152, some changes were proposed and the Yak-152K was the result. A 50/50 partnership between Russia's Irkut (Yakovlev) and HongDu was formed. Design and development came from the Russian side while HongDu built the prototype L-7/152K.

The plan is to certify the base version with both FAA and JAA in order to market the product internationally. A 10,000 hr/30 year airframe limit has been initially set with hopes of manufacturing up to 3000 over the product's life cycle. Low procurement and operating cost and a rugged airframe will be part of the hard sell to airforces.

The M-14X will power initial versions. The M-14X is the flat flanged version of the M-14P in order to fit a 3-blade "MT" type prop. Weight will be about 2950lbs gross with a 1000km range. Climb performance is reported be about the same as the Yak-52 but cruise is reported be quite a bit higher, up to 360kph. (seems too high to me) All versions will use a "glass" cockpit and some variants will include a basic targeting system although this trainer will not have any combat capability.

Of interest to Red Star owners is that a lightweight 0/0 ejection (extraction?) system is employed as well the M-14 engine rather than turboprop power used everywhere else in the military world. I hope this bodes well for our long-term engine parts issues. Voronezh will be the Russian engine supplier.

Regarding development history, the Yak-52 was morphed into the -52M aka -56 and -54M. Next was the -152 and now the Yak-152K/L-7. Note that the Yak-54 is mid-wing while the JL-7/152K are low wing. I'm not sure what happened to the Sukhoi entry into the competition but the Yak was said to have met the specs better. ($$$ anyone?) Chinese marketing has slapped the name "Baby Eagle" on the JL-7 so I would expect to see it offered to the Western market in the future.

Doug, do you have any insight into all this??

Craig Payne

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
GeorgeCoy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: JL-7/Yak-152K History Reply with quote

Craig,
I have been in contact with the chief designer of the light aircraft division of the Yakovlev design bureau for many years. Craig is correct about the design history. The brochure I published was given to me at the Moscow air show two years ago.
It is my understanding that Voronezh was not able to supply engines. In fact they ended up using new old stock and overhauled engines for the last 50 Yak18T aircraft. There are serious questions as to Voronezh factory ability to ever produce engines in the future. The M14 production there was only a very small part of their business even in the old days in soviet times.
The Chinese bought 5 engines from the Motorstar Romanian factory as they were the only ones able to supply New production engines. Motorstar engineers are in China now to assist in the initial start and testing of the aircraft. It is hoped that the Chinese will start production jointly with the Romanian factory. There are still some "RIGHTS" to the design issues that have to be resolved.

Interesting question about Sukhoi design bureau. It is my understanding that the light aircraft design division was pretty much disbanded due to lack of government support.
Some of the younger modern designers were subsequently employed by a private firm. They have designed a light jet aircraft for a possible military trainer and for a personal jet. It is an advanced composite two place design. I am working with them sometimes on some issues. I have attached a picture of the aircraft. They are looking to form a joint venture here in the U.S. to manufacture and market the aircraft.

George Coy

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

SR10-3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.41 KB
 Viewed:  4440 Time(s)

SR10-3.JPG

george(at)gesoco.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: JL-7/Yak-152K History Reply with quote

Craig,
I have been in contact with the chief designer of the light aircraft division of the Yakovlev design bureau for many years. Craig is correct about the design history. The brochure I published was given to me at the Moscow air show two years ago.
It is my understanding that Voronezh was not able to supply engines. In fact they ended up using new old stock and overhauled engines for the last 50 Yak18T aircraft. There are serious questions as to Voronezh factory ability to ever produce engines in the future. The M14 production there was only a very small part of their business even in the old days in soviet times.
The Chinese bought 5 engines from the Motorstar Romanian factory as they were the only ones able to supply New production engines. Motorstar engineers are in China now to assist in the initial start and testing of the aircraft. It is hoped that the Chinese will start production jointly with the Romanian factory. There are still some "RIGHTS" to the design issues that have to be resolved.

Interesting question about Sukhoi design bureau. It is my understanding that the light aircraft design division was pretty much disbanded due to lack of government support.
Some of the younger modern designers were subsequently employed by a private firm. They have designed a light jet aircraft for a possible military trainer and for a personal jet. It is an advanced composite two place design. I am working with them sometimes on some issues. I have attached a picture of the aircraft. They are looking to form a joint venture here in the U.S. to manufacture and market the aircraft.

George Coy

SR10-3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.29 KB
 Viewed:  4438 Time(s)

SR10-3.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: