Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Couple more wing leading edge questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
william(at)gbta.net

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Couple more wing leading edge questions Reply with quote

For those who have gone before me (almost everybody--or so it seems), on page 17-4 we are to enlarge the tie-down eyelet holes for the eyelets. I don't yet have my eyelets and the plans don't say how large to make the holes. Can somebody tell me how large to drill them?

Next, at what point do I need to start looking into mounting my pitot. I have a Gretz heated pitot. Does this need done before I rivet the outboard leading edges to the main wing spars? Where (which bay) is the best location for the pitot (just do as the plans show or does anybody have any real world advice and possibly a solution that works better)?

Sorry for the elementary questions but just feel like I may be leaving something out.

Thanks in advance,
Bill
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
tsts4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Couple more wing leading edge questions Reply with quote

Bill, I drilled mine 3/8 with a unibit and my rings fit fine. As for the pitot, I have a Gretz too and mounted it basically in the same place as called out in the plans, except a little further aft. As a result, I mounted mine when I riveted on the bottom skins: installing the leading edge was not a factor.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

vk2gcn(at)cirruscomms.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Couple more wing leading edge questions Reply with quote

From Step 6 on Page 10-15 it shows drilling the hole for the Tail cone tie down to 11/16”. This would provide 5/32 of clearance
all around the Hole. That may bit a bit large for the wing skins, so you may like to make the hole 5/8 or less.

I intend to mount a Greta Heated Pitot in the same place as the Plans show.

Cheers

John MacCallum
QB 41016
From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Billy & Tami Britton
Sent: Friday, 24 December 2010 6:04 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Couple more wing leading edge questions

For those who have gone before me (almost everybody--or so it seems), on page 17-4 we are to enlarge the tie-down eyelet holes for the eyelets. I don't yet have my eyelets and the plans don't say how large to make the holes. Can somebody tell me how large to drill them?

Next, at what point do I need to start looking into mounting my pitot. I have a Gretz heated pitot. Does this need done before I rivet the outboard leading edges to the main wing spars? Where (which bay) is the best location for the pitot (just do as the plans show or does anybody have any real world advice and possibly a solution that works better)?

Sorry for the elementary questions but just feel like I may be leaving something out.

Thanks in advance,

Bill
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Jim Berry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Couple more wing leading edge questions Reply with quote

I don't recall where the plans call for mounting the pitot, but you will want it within reach from the most outboard wing rib. You need to be able to reach the tube connector and wiring for maintenance and repairs. I recommend you check your Gretz pitot for leaks before installing it. Ask me how I know.

Jim Berry
N15JB
Phase I

rv10flyer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Couple more wing leading edge questions Reply with quote

My Falcon heated pitot is just inboard of the 2nd rib in. Easy to access without wing tip on. I have a .063" doubler with joggle going over spar flange. Be aware that the high temperature plastic has melted on several due to board failures.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: