Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

52 spinning
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richard.goode(at)russiana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: 52 spinning Reply with quote

This is an issue that greatly concerns me,as it should anyone who spins the 52.
The 52 will always recover,but particularly from a flat spin,recovery is not always conventional;can be very prolonged;stick forces VERY high.
Martin Stahlik,then number 7 in the World,and a superb aerobatic pilot,but with no 52 experience,spun down to the ground in a 52.
This is why proper instruction by an experienced 52 instructor is critical.
Richard
Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0) 1544 340120
Fax: +44 (0) 1544 340129
www.russianaeros.com
I’m currently in Sri Lanka but this Mail is working,and my local phone is +94 779 132 160.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
mikspin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 52 spinning Reply with quote

Richard,

I have read the various Yak 52 spin literature in the past and have always wondered if the high stick forces quoted were in a Yak 52 with the original centering springs (or "bungees" as a lot of people call them) installed. I have flown Yaks with and without these installed and of course noticed quite a difference in control feel and forces during maneuvering at the extremes of the envelope.

TIA

Mike Hastings

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:56 am    Post subject: 52 spinning Reply with quote

No,the springs have far less effect than the airflow over the control
surfaces that you need to overcome in the flat spin recovery.
Stick forces can be well over 100 pounds,and rudder forces well over 200
pounds!!
Richard
Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

www.russianaeros.com
I'm currently in Sri Lanka but this Mail is working,and my local phone is
+94 779 132 160.
---

mikspin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 52 spinning Reply with quote

Yes, I've read the article many times that states that as such, and I'm aware of the difference between the aerodynamics forces acting on the controls and the force of the springs.

Regardless, I am asking if the article you were involved with referred to an aircraft with the springs installed.

Thank you

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: 52 spinning Reply with quote

No-since I assume that all civilian owners will remove them-but my concern
is that all pilots who spin 52s should have been instructed on the issues
involved.
Richard
Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

www.russianaeros.com
+94 779 132 160.
---

bwade154(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: 52 spinning Reply with quote

Richard its been mentioned that you flew two Yak 52 that didn't recover with conventional (Yak 52) control inputs, how did you regain control or did you bail?
Bill Wade

To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Tue, December 28, 2010 11:12:02 AM
Subject: Re: Yak-List: Re: 52 spinning

--> Yak-List message posted by: "Richard.Goode" <richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com (richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com)>

involved.
Richard
Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

www.russianaeros.com
+94 779 132 160.
---

nigel(at)yakdisplay.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: 52 spinning Reply with quote

Bill,
The conventional recovery technique involves ailerons central. The aspect of the 52 that can catch you out is that recovery from a flat spin MAY need FULL IN SPIN aileron. The two yaks Richard mentions will be two that did not recover UNLESS the in spin aileron was used. Recovery is prolonged even with the aileron.. Typically 5 turns or so AFTER full anti spin controls have been applied.... often meaning people relax this approach and try something else - which simply isn't going to work. And when it does recover, it snapshot requiring fairly fast centralising of all controls. Hence the recommendation from any 52 aeros pilot to go and do some with an instructor for the experience.

Regards

Nigel
On 28 Dec 2010, at 19:13, bill wade <bwade154(at)yahoo.com (bwade154(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:

[quote]Richard its been mentioned that you flew two Yak 52 that didn't recover with conventional (Yak 52) control inputs, how did you regain control or did you bail?
Bill Wade

From: Richard.Goode <richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com (richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com)>
To: [url=mailto:yak-list(at)matronics.com]yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)[/url]
Sent: Tue, December 28, 2010 11:12:02 AM
Subject: Re: Re: 52 spinning

--> Yak-List message posted by: "Richard.Goode" <[url=mailto:richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com]richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com (richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com)[/url]>

involved.
Richard
Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

www.russianaeros.com
+94 779 132 160.
---

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: 52 spinning Reply with quote

To make the position clear,I was not flying either 52.
But after the Martin Stahlik accident in a 52 that we had sold,I was shocked that such an experienced and skilled pilot could be unable to recover from a spin,particularly since he had a lot of altitude,and had begun the spin at over 6,000 feet.In consequence I did a lot of research on the whole topic,mainly with Yakovlev and pilots from Russia's DOSAAF who had,collectively,thousands of hours of 52 spinning.From this it became clear that conventional recovery MAY not work in the 52,although it WILL recover if the pilot understands the possible slowness of recovery;the very high control forces and the POSSIBLE need for inspin aeleron.Of course this is only normally the case with a developed flat spin,but no one should spin a 52 on the assumption that the spin will not develop or go flat!!
Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

www.russianaeros.com
I’m currently in Sri Lanka but this Mail is working,and my local phone is +94 779 132 160.

[quote][b]

andrewrichards7(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: 52 spinning Reply with quote

Hi Richard

I just bought a 55M out of the US, it will be on a boat this week. Are
there these types of spin issues with the 55M?

I have no time on 55's, only Pitts and Extra's.

Andrew

On 12/29/10, Richard.Goode <richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com> wrote:
Quote:
But after the Martin Stahlik accident in a 52 that we had sold,I was shocked
that such an experienced and skilled pilot could be unable to recover from a
spin,particularly since he had a lot of altitude,and had begun the spin at
over 6,000 feet.In consequence I did a lot of research on the whole
topic,mainly with Yakovlev and pilots from Russia's DOSAAF who
had,collectively,thousands of hours of 52 spinning.From this it became clear
that conventional recovery MAY not work in the 52,although it WILL recover
if the pilot understands the possible slowness of recovery;the very high
control forces and the POSSIBLE need for inspin aeleron.Of course this is
only normally the case with a developed flat spin,but no one should spin a
52 on the assumption that the spin will not develop or go flat!!
Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

www.russianaeros.com
I’m currently in Sri Lanka but this Mail is working,and my local phone is
+94 779 132 160.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: 52 spinning Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge,none of these 52 cautions are issues with the
55,which has excellent spin recovery characteristics.
Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

www.russianaeros.com
+94 779 132 160.
---

andrewrichards7(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: 52 spinning Reply with quote

Thanks Richard.
Andrew

On 12/29/10, Richard.Goode <richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com> wrote:
[quote]
<richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com>

To the best of my knowledge,none of these 52 cautions are issues with the
55,which has excellent spin recovery characteristics.
Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

www.russianaeros.com
+94 779 132 160.
---

bu131(at)swbell.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: 52 spinning Reply with quote

inverted spin training in yak55m includes the jesus maneuver as per nik timofeyev if all fails center the stick keep some power on , opposite rudder and pray same characteristics as 52

Sent: Wed, December 29, 2010 3:37:58 AM
Subject: Re: 52 spinning

--> Yak-List message posted by: andrew richards <andrewrichards7(at)gmail.com (andrewrichards7(at)gmail.com)>

Hi Richard

I just bought a 55M out of the US, it will be on a boat this week. Are
there these types of spin issues with the 55M?

I have no time on 55's, only Pitts and Extra's.

Andrew

On 12/29/10, Richard.Goode <richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com (richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com)> wrote:
Quote:
But after the Martin Stahlik accident in a 52 that we had sold,I was shocked
that such an experienced and skilled pilot could be unable to recover from a
spin,particularly since he had a lot of altitude,and had begun the spin at
over 6,000 feet.In consequence I did a lot of research on the whole
topic,mainly with Yakovlev and pilots from Russia's DOSAAF who
had,collectively,thousands of hours of 52 spinning.From this it became clear
that conventional recovery MAY not work in the 52,although it WILL recover
if the pilot understands the possible slowness of recovery;the very high
control forces and the POSSIBLE need for inspin aeleron.Of course this is
only normally the case with a developed flat spin,but no one should spin a
52 on the assumption that the spin will not develop or go flat!!
Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

Fax:  +44 (0) 1544 340129
www.russianaeros.com
+94 779 132 16= (And Get Some AWESOME FREE Gifts!)www.homebuilthelp.com[/url]
_bsp; ========================

[quote][b]

bwade154(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: 52 spinning Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying that Richard, has anyone bailed from a Yak that didn't recover or do most just ride it in. Next question Richard does the 52TD have the same flat spin characteristics as the 52?
Bill Wade

To: YAK USA LIST <yak-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Tue, December 28, 2010 8:55:04 PM
Subject: 52 spinning

But after the Martin Stahlik accident in a 52 that we had sold,I was shocked that such an experienced and skilled pilot could be unable to recover from a spin,particularly since he had a lot of altitude,and had begun the spin at over 6,000 feet.In consequence I did a lot of research on the whole topic,mainly with Yakovlev and pilots from Russia's DOSAAF who had,collectively,thousands of hours of 52 spinning.From this it became clear that conventional recovery MAY not work in the 52,although it WILL recover if the pilot understands the possible slowness of recovery;the very high control forces and the POSSIBLE need for inspin aeleron.Of course this is only normally the case with a developed flat spin,but no one should spin a 52 on the assumption that the spin will not develop or go flat!!
Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0) 1544 340120 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting   +44 (0) 1544 340120 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
www.russianaeros.com
I’m currently in Sri Lanka but this Mail is working,and my local phone is +94 779 132 160 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting  +94 779 132 160  end_of_the_skype_highlighting.

[quote]www.homebuilthelp.com</============ [b]

viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: 52 spinning Reply with quote

Do you have a smoke oil tank mounted aft of the rear seat? If so don't fly acro with it full and > 60 kg back seated and making the mistake of getting slow at high alpha with the addition of cross control. You may find yourself testing the in spin aileron recovery thing.
Doc
--

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: 52 spinning Reply with quote

I know of 4 cases where they have spun in.Usually two-up since the rearward C og G greatly agravates the problem.And two where they have jumped.
But,to present a balanced picture,1800 or so 52s made and all of the ones in the East were doing aeros. and spinning continuously,so thousands of spins in total.
I would suggest that the TD is a bit better,without the nose wheel,which adds to the inertia;most of them have much of the heavy electronic kit removed from behind the rear seat,and most will have a bit of fuel remaining in front of the spar [the long-range tanks] which will take C of G a bit forward.But otherwise very similar!
BUT,any significant amount of fuel left in the tanks will exacerbate the problem,since,as you spin the fuel will go out board and increase the rotational inertia.
Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

www.russianaeros.com

[quote] ---

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: 52 spinning Reply with quote

It is also worth adding that the MAXIMUM that the Russians will allow in the rear cockpit of a 52 is 100 kilos [220 pounds] and that includes parachute;clothing;any cushions etc.I suspect that in the land of the Big Mac,there are a number of pilots/passengers in the rear cockpit who are well over this!!!

Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

www.russianaeros.com

[quote][b]

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: 52 spinning Reply with quote

As a footnote though Richard, the 100 kilos or 220 pounds in the rear cockpit was with the Russian ADF and flight recorder still in the airplane.
Dennis
[quote] ---

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: 52 spinning Reply with quote

Absolutely correct.

Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

Tel:   +44 (0) 1544 340120
www.russianaeros.com

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of A. Dennis Savarese
Sent: 30 December 2010 12:01
Subject: Re: 52 spinning

As a footnote though Richard, the 100 kilos or 220 pounds in the rear cockpit was with the Russian ADF and flight recorder still in the airplane.

Dennis
Quote:

----- Original Message -----

To: YAK USA LIST (yak-list(at)matronics.com)

Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 11:49 PM

Subject: 52 spinning

It is also worth adding that the MAXIMUM that the Russians will allow in the rear cockpit of a 52 is 100 kilos [220 pounds] and that includes parachute;clothing;any cushions etc.I suspect that in the land of the Big Mac,there are a number of pilots/passengers in the rear cockpit who are well over this!!!

Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Hereford
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

Tel:   +44 (0) 1544 340120
www.russianaeros.com

Quote:
href="http://www.aeroelectric.com">www.aeroelectric.comhref="http://www.buildersbooks.com">www.buildersbooks.comhref="http://www.homebuilthelp.com">www.homebuilthelp.comhref="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/chref="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-Listhref="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
href="http://www.aeroelectric.com">www.aeroelectric.com
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
href="http://www.buildersbooks.com">www.buildersbooks.com
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.
[quote][b]

mikspin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 52 spinning Reply with quote

Thanks Richard. I echo your sentiments about getting the proper training from the right people. The question was an academic one.

Continuing that, (Dennis chime in if you know), Would anyone happen to know the CG of the aircraft tested?

dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: 52 spinning Reply with quote

If you're referring to the "Spins Unspun" article, the test aircraft, according to the article, had a CG of 18% MAC, which is clearly a forward CG. As I remember, without digging into additional documentation, the design CG range for the Yak 52 is 19-25% MAC.
Dennis
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: