Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Removable stick option?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
info(at)flylightning.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Removable stick option? Reply with quote

Group,

This is in regards to Bill’s mention about a removable stick option. I thought I would start another post about it.
How many people would like to see this? It is certainly something that our welding shop could make, it would be easy to retrofit and could be an option at initial purchase of a kit.

If you are building a kit and had not flown or touched the sticks yet as far as construction goes, we could take it in exchange for credit towards the other stick. Not sure of a cost but give me a week and I will.
Those who are flying would have to buy new, but I can find out how much to change your sticks, but I think a new one will be cheaper after shipping it back and forth and cutting it up an such.

This will be initially to the Kit owners only. I will have to do supplemental testing to the control sticks for the SLSAs, but that should not take to long.

Please let me know thru the List or my email and if we have got more than 1 or 2 people who want it will make it happen.

Nick Otterback
Arion Aircraft LLC
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
Kayberg(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Removable stick option? Reply with quote

I would just remind folks that most Lighting sticks have wires in them. If you go for the removable stick, you will probably need to route the mike transmit to the panel or console. If you went nutz for trim and flaps buttons on both sticks, those will also need re-doing.

Easiest way is to just cut the stick off with a tubing cutter and machine an aluminim plug to fit inside the two halves. Bolt the lower half solidly to the stub (leave enough room) and make up a pin arrangement for the upper part. Since the stick forces are so light anyway, it is not likely there will be a problem. Alternative is to sleeve the outside of the stick and weld the upper half, then pin the lower to the stick stub.

Just a couple thoughts.

Doug Koenigsberg

In a message dated 1/2/2011 4:09:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, info(at)flylightning.net writes:
Quote:

Group,

This is in regards to Bill’s mention about a removable stick option. I thought I would start another post about it.
How many people would like to see this? It is certainly something that our welding shop could make, it would be easy to retrofit and could be an option at initial purchase of a kit.

If you are building a kit and had not flown or touched the sticks yet as far as construction goes, we could take it in exchange for credit towards the other stick. Not sure of a cost but give me a week and I will.
Those who are flying would have to buy new, but I can find out how much to change your sticks, but I think a new one will be cheaper after shipping it back and forth and cutting it up an such.

This will be initially to the Kit owners only. I will have to do supplemental testing to the control sticks for the SLSAs, but that should not take to long.

Please let me know thru the List or my email and if we have got more than 1 or 2 people who want it will make it happen.

Nick Otterback
Arion Aircraft LLC
Quote:

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

n45bm(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Removable stick option? Reply with quote

Nick,
I didn't even think about mentioning it, but it is something I planned to do to BOTH control sticks on my Lightning, just as I did to my MB.1 FirStar. Makes it a lot easier to crawl under the panel after the plane is flying. It's quite easy to do, so it's no big deal.
Bernardo Melendez

--- On Sun, 1/2/11, flylightning <info(at)flylightning.net> wrote:
Quote:

Subject: Lightning-List: Removable stick option?
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Sunday, January 2, 2011, 3:06 PM

Group,

Nick Otterback
Arion Aircraft LLC
Quote:
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List==========

[quote][b]

glasair98hw(at)comcast.ne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Removable stick option? Reply with quote

Nick: The glasair had one bolt thru the stick and base to attach it. Another hole that wires could pass thru with a plug connector and everything is removable. Just a thought. Harry
---

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Removable stick option? Reply with quote

Nick: I would be interested. Harry
---

selwyn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Removable stick option? Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

I made my right hand stick removable so I guess I would have been interested in it as an option Smile.

To do it, I cut the stick an inch or so above the trunnion bearing, inserted a plug and spigot in the lower section, cut a piece out of the top section and replaced it with a machined socket with keyway. This is a hand push fit on the spigot and a small cross bolt or pin is used to ensure it does not work off, the socket and keyway provide all the mechanical strength. Probably too elaborate, but it works. I've fitted a multipin plug and socket to the wiring so that the whole thing can be removed neatly.

n45bm(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Removable stick option? Reply with quote

Similar to my setup, except that the tubes were cleanly cut, then a smaller tube with the O.D. same as the stick's I.D. was welded (rosebud welds) inside the bottom section. It just slipped into place and a 3/16" hole was drilled through the top section and smaller tube. An AN-3 bolt secured the stick in place. Piece of cake. My own brother could do it no better.
Bernardo

--- On Sun, 1/2/11, Kayberg(at)AOL.COM <Kayberg(at)AOL.COM> wrote:
Quote:

Subject: Re: Lightning-List: Removable stick option?
Date: Sunday, January 2, 2011, 4:33 PM

I would just remind folks that most Lighting sticks have wires in them. If you go for the removable stick, you will probably need to route the mike transmit to the panel or console. If you went nutz for trim and flaps buttons on both sticks, those will also need re-doing.

Easiest way is to just cut the stick off with a tubing cutter and machine an aluminim plug to fit inside the two halves. Bolt the lower half solidly to the stub (leave enough room) and make up a pin arrangement for the upper part. Since the stick forces are so light anyway, it is not likely there will be a problem. Alternative is to sleeve the outside of the stick and weld the upper half, then pin the lower to the stick stub.

Just a couple thoughts.

Doug Koenigsberg

In a message dated 1/2/2011 4:09:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, info(at)flylightning.net writes:
Quote:

Group,

Nick Otterback
Arion Aircraft LLC
Quote:

Quote:
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Ligh="_blank" href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.co==========

[quote][b]

sttwig

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Removable stick option? Reply with quote

Nick,

It sounds like a good option to me. I have a removable stick in my RV-7 and it is almost never in the control position and almost always in the map pocket. I would make the exchange for the modified stick if were available.

Steve Sundquist
Kit #48 (trying to get it painted)

On 1/2/2011 1:06 PM, flylightning wrote: [quote] <![endif]--> DocumentEmail MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]--> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} <![endif]-->
Group,

Nick Otterback
Arion Aircraft LLC
Quote:

[b]

IFLYSMODEL(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: Removable stick option? Reply with quote

Hey Nick: I would really like to have that option, including the wiring connections for mic, trim and flaps.
Lynn

In a message dated 1/2/2011 4:09:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, info(at)flylightning.net writes:
Quote:

Group,

Nick Otterback
Arion Aircraft LLC
Quote:

====================================
t href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
ms.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com
tp://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

Jack Gonzenbach

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Removable stick option? Reply with quote

Nick,
If we are not too far along on my build, I’d be interested in this option. Hope you had a good Christmas vacation.

Best Regards,
Jack

Jack Gonzenbach
Heart of America Aviation LLC
12906 W 122nd St
Overland Park, KS 66213
(913) 890-3052
jgonzenbach(at)flyhoaa.com

From: owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of flylightning
Sent: Sunday, January 02, 2011 3:07 PM
Subject: Removable stick option?

Group,

Nick Otterback
Arion Aircraft LLC
Quote:
  - The Lightning-List Email Forum ---> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

bez(at)lakegranbury.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Removable stick option? Reply with quote

Nick,I cut my stick about 2" up from the base, welded a sleeve to the upper part and ran a bolt through the bottom. Just need to put a plug for the ptt . Works good, you can see it next week when I'm up there.
Bill Beasley

On Jan 2, 2011, at 3:06 PM, flylightning wrote:
Quote:
Group,

Nick Otterback
Arion Aircraft LLC

Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List" style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
blue; text-decoration: underline; ">http://forums.matronics.com
style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

Clive J

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Removable stick option? Reply with quote

Hi Nick, I always had in mind to make the Esqual stick removable, I planned to get a spare and just cut the stick off leaving the lever part to do it's job as a pivot for the control.
is the Esqual still the same dimensions or did that change to an imperial size?

Ta, Clive
Esqual in UK (+ Jab SP)

From: owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of flylightning
Sent: 02 January 2011 21:07

Group,

Nick Otterback
Arion Aircraft LLC
[quote]

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

NowackLinden(at)gmx.de

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Removable stick option? Reply with quote

Hi Nick, Hi Group

Uli my wife tells me she likes the idea of a removable stick on her side of my Lightning. So I want one , too!

Wouldn´t it be the easiest way if you tell the Speciality Welding people to make some lower parts of the stick with a bigger sized steel tube as a receiving upper end , predrilled for one or two AN3- bolts? Then we could buy one of these from Arion , cut off our stick off at the right point, stick the stick (yo!) into the new lower part, drill the hole all the way through and bolt it all together. 10 minutes work!
This would be cheaper than a whole new stick (I hope!), shipping would be also cheaper, and we would get a reliable part with the good quality Speciality makes.
By the way, I would think twice( at least!) before I would make both sticks removable.
Remember Murphy: if it can come off , it will come off!

Gerd

Am 04.01.2011 11:09, schrieb James, Clive R: [quote] <![endif]--> DocumentEmail MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]--> (at)font-face { font-family: SimSun; } (at)font-face { font-family: (at)SimSun; } (at)page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin: .5in; mso-footer-margin: .5in; mso-paper-source: 0; } P.MsoNormal { MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-style-parent: ""; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: SimSun } LI.MsoNormal { MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-style-parent: ""; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: SimSun } DIV.MsoNormal { MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-style-parent: ""; mso-pagination: widow-orphan; mso-fareast-font-family: SimSun } A:link { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; text-underline: single } SPAN.MsoHyperlink { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; text-underline: single } A:visited { COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; text-underline: single } SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed { COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; text-underline: single } SPAN.EmailStyle17 { FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR: windowtext; mso-style-type: personal-compose; mso-style-noshow: yes; mso-ansi-font-size: 10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt; mso-ascii-font-family: Arial; mso-hansi-font-family: Arial; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial } DIV.Section1 { page: Section1 } /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} <![endif]--> Hi Nick, I always had in mind to make the Esqual stick removable, I planned to get a spare and just cut the stick off leaving the lever part to do it's job as a pivot for the control.

Ta, Clive
Esqual in UK (+ Jab SP)

From: owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-lightning-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of flylightning
Sent: 02 January 2011 21:07
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com (lightning-list(at)matronics.com)

Group,

Nick Otterback
Arion Aircraft LLC
Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c

[b]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Removable stick option? Reply with quote

How about specialty fabricating the whole lower end of the stick and we cut off the top as needed? Harry
---

Wayne Lenox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Removable stick option? Reply with quote

Harry
You have a very good idea. That would make it much easier for all of the older Lightnings.
Wayne
N123WL

--------

EAFerguson(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Removable stick option? Reply with quote

In a message dated 1/6/2011 9:37:04 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, waynelenox(at)juno.com writes:
Quote:
Hi Nick, I always had in mind to make the Esqual stick removable, I planned to get a spare and just cut the stick off leaving the lever part to do it's job as a pivot for the control.

I did this years ago with a plug-in for the wiring, Since I rarely have a co-pilot, I rarely put the stick in. Install or remove takes about 5 min.

Earl Ferguson
N17EF Atlanta
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: