Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HKS and 701 ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frank.goodnight(at)att.ne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: HKS and 701 ? Reply with quote

Hi All,
I'm new to this list. I now fly a kolb firestar2 with the HKS 700e engine. Plan to purchase a 701 or a 750 kit
in the near future. Will someone on this list help me with information so I can make the best decision?
If someone has put a HKS engine on a 701 and it is a good preformer and they are happy with it, that is
the way I would prefer to go, simply because I already have the engine ( read economics). However if it
would be a poor preformer. I would bite the bullet and go with the 750 even at a cost of 15 to 20 k more.
I have heard that the newer models of the 701 are quite a bit heaver than the original 65hp mod. also
I am a large person --6ft 250lb. Please put your heads togeather and share the knowledge that will save
me the time,energy ,money and frustation that will be wasted if I make the wrong choice. I will be going to the factory in the next month or so and get a ride in oth planes ,but I think they both have 100 hp engines so don"t
know how much that will help. They say the HKS is doable as the 701was designed for 50 to 100 hp, but don"t encourage -discourage-or support it.
Thanks
Frank Goodnight

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
dougsnash

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: HKS and 701 ? Reply with quote

Frank, I have a 701 with a 912ul. While the 701 might work with a HKS, I think you will find the 701 pretty tight. Given your dimensions, I think you'll find the 750 a much better fit.
Doug MacDonald
CH-701 C-GBQX
Northwestern Ontario, Canada
Phase one

Sent from my iPad

On 2011-01-04, at 9:55 AM, frank goodnight <frank.goodnight(at)att.net (frank.goodnight(at)att.net)> wrote:

[quote]Hi All,
I'm new to this list. I now fly a kolb firestar2 with the HKS 700e engine. Plan to purchase a 701 or a 750 kit
in the near future. Will someone on this list help me with information so I can make the best decision?
If someone has put a HKS engine on a 701 and it is a good preformer and they are happy with it, that is
the way I would prefer to go, simply because I already have the engine ( read economics). However if it
would be a poor preformer. I would bite the bullet and go with the 750 even at a cost of 15 to 20 k more.
I have heard that the newer models of the 701 are quite a bit heaver than the original 65hp mod. also
I am a large person --6ft 250lb. Please put your heads togeather and share the knowledge that will save
me the time,energy ,money and frustation that will be wasted if I make the wrong choice. I will be going to the factory in the next month or so and get a ride in oth planes ,but I think they both have 100 hp engines so don"t
know how much that will help. They say the HKS is doable as the 701was designed for 50 to 100 hp, but don"t encourage -discourage-or support it.
Thanks
Frank Goodnight

Quote:

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: HKS and 701 ? Reply with quote

Hi Doug,
Thanks for your thoughts, Useful info.
Frank
do not archive

To: "zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com" <zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Tue, January 4, 2011 1:49:03 PM
Subject: Re: HKS and 701 ?

Frank, I have a 701 with a 912ul. While the 701 might work with a HKS, I think you will find the 701 pretty tight. Given your dimensions, I think you'll find the 750 a much better fit.

Doug MacDonald
CH-701 C-GBQX
Northwestern Ontario, Canada
Phase one

Sent from my iPad

On 2011-01-04, at 9:55 AM, frank goodnight <frank.goodnight(at)att.net (frank.goodnight(at)att.net)> wrote:

[quote] Hi All,
If someone hasput a HKS engine on a 701 and it is a good preformer and they are happy with it, that is
me thetime,energy ,money and frustation that will be wasted if I make the wrong choice. I will be going to the factory in the next month or so and get a ride in oth planes ,but I think they both have 100 hp engines so don"t
Thanks
Frank Goodnight

Quote:

[b][b]

tclongo(at)att.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: HKS and 701 ? Reply with quote

On 1/4/2011 10:55 AM, frank goodnight wrote:
Quote:
Hi All,
Thanks
Frank Goodnight

Quote:

Hi Frank, I remember you from the Kolb list. I had an MK III with a 582 that I sold to Ellery and built the 701 with 912uls which I like very well, I would go with the 750 in your case.

Tom
[quote][b]

kmccune

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: HKS and 701 ? Reply with quote

Frank,
I weight 170 and my wife.. well quite a bit less Wink We fit fine in the 701, but even at our size I wish the 750 had been released 6 mo earlier.
think about your 250 lbs, the 120 lbs of fuel, the 40 lbs of cargo, can you still carry another person? The thing would weigh less with the HKS then with a 912 so there is some room there. I struggled with this for 1 1/2 years and the only thing that saved the 701 is all my time and the fact that we are not large people. But I'd rather be building a 750.

My $.02 ...my Dad could rub these together and make change!

Kevin

"Real freedom is the sustained act of being an individual." WW - 2009

"Life is a good deal...it's worth it" Feb 1969
Dorothy McCune

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: HKS and 701 ? Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for your thoughts. I have had several responses and the opinions vary.But each one is valuable to me.
Thanks again.
Frank
do not archive

To: zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Sun, January 9, 2011 7:17:12 AM
Subject: Zenith701801-List: Re: HKS and 701 ?

--> Zenith701801-List message posted by: "kmccune" <kmccune(at)somtel.net (kmccune(at)somtel.net)>

Frank,
I weight 170 and my wife.. well quite a bit less [Wink] We fit fine in the 701, but even at our size I wish the 750 had been released 6 mo earlier.
think about your 250 lbs, the 120 lbs of fuel, the 40 lbs of cargo, can you still carry another person? The thing would weigh less with the HKS then with a 912 so there is some room there. I struggled with this for 1 1/2 years and the only thing that saved the 701 is all my time and the fact that we are not large people. But I'd rather be building a 750.

My $.02 ...my Dad could rub these together and make change!

Kevin

--------
“Always do what you are afraid to do.”
R.W. Emerson (1803-1882)

&quot;Real freedom is the sustained act of being an individual.&quot; WW - 2009

&quot;Life is a good deal...it's worth it&quot;
Dorothy McCune

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=326087#326087

<-= &==
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: