Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Collapsible tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rawheels

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Collapsible tank Reply with quote

For those who pre-mix; Is there a cheap collapsible fuel tank for mixing the fuel during cross-country flights or do you attempt to mix the oil/fuel in the wing tank?

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

rawheels

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Collapsible tank Reply with quote

So this is what I am thinking: I have heard (but not actually seen) that some individuals will use a collapsible water jug with a spigot hung from a truss in their hangar to fuel their plane. Seeing how polyethylene holds up very well to ethynol and fairly well to gasoline is sounds at least plausible. Although you probably have to get a new one every year or so.

Anyway, seems like you could collapse one of those and tie it to the back of the seat. You'd then use it to mix fuel at each stop. It probably isn't something that you'd want to keep in the plane for normal use, but with the header tank behind the seat anyway it doesn't seem like much of an additional risk; assuming you properly mark it and the spigot will in fact not drip/seep.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

occom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Collapsible tank Reply with quote

I am not the most worldly guy when it comes to hangars at various airports
but I cannot imagine anyone actually fueling their aircraft in hangar. IMO
fuelling is an outdoor activity.
---

Tom Jones

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Collapsible tank Reply with quote

I never did figure out a way to properly...by the book...mix fuel without using a standard fuel container. I have seen a kitfox flyer pour the oil directly into the wing tank when refueling and read on the Kolb Matronics list that some of them do that. I always figured I would carry a plastic 5 gallon fuel jug in the baggage to mix in if I went on a long flight requiring refueling on the way.

There are quite a few things I don't like about putting fuel in one of those collapsible water jugs.

Maybe you could call ahead and ask if there is a gas can available for you to use for mixing at your fuel stop.

Ellensburg, WA
WurlyBird

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Collapsible tank Reply with quote

Why not get a 1 gallon or 1/2 gallon fuel jug to carry with you? You could put in a tank worth of oil, top it off with fuel and mix. Then add the now diluted oil/gas mix to the tank. This would be about a 10:1 mix if my finger tip math is right which should mix very readily with the gas in the tank. A 1 gallon fuel can would fit quite easily behind the seat and it is intended for the fuel.

rawheels

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Collapsible tank Reply with quote

Good suggestions. My preference would be for a 5 gal tank so that I could mix & pour the exact amount I need to top the tank (without spending half a day at the pump), but I don't think one would fit through the cross bars behind the seats. The one gallon "mixer" tank could work as long as you can accurately guess how much fuel will be going into the wing tank.

If you did a lot of trips, I suppose the best option would be to reinstall the oil injector system.

thanks for the input,
Ryan

Tom Jones

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Collapsible tank Reply with quote

Quote:
If you did a lot of trips, I suppose the best option would be to reinstall the oil injector system.

I finally installed an oil injection system last winter. It makes fueling much less hassle.

Ellensburg, WA
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Collapsible tank Reply with quote

When I had my other plane a number of years back I just purchased a 6 gal. gasoline rated bladder tank. Hooked up a fuel pump to it and when I was flying and my fuel in the mains got low enough I just hit the switch and transfered the 6 gals. to my main tanks. Then I had it on the fuel gauge.

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
WurlyBird

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Collapsible tank Reply with quote

Granted this would require an additional person for fueling, or a strategically placed mirror, but you could mark the tank so you know when it is 1 gallon short of being full. Fill to this mark and then add the mixture from the one gallon tank. If you have two wing tanks you are obviously gonna have to figure out the most time efficient way to do both. Maybe mix a gallon batch, put it in a tank, top off that tank and the next one to the 1 gallon mark, fill the mixer again and then you are done with the pump. Just spit balling here. If you can add an oil injector I would go that route. Mine holds enough for a flight out, a refueling, and the flight back. You are obviously already carrying oil with you which you can still carry in case you need more then two bags of gas for your cross country.

akflyer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Collapsible tank Reply with quote

http://rustybayonet.com/pro1408147.html

Alot of the supercub guys are using these. They roll up nice and small when not in use. Alaska Bush Wheels has one that is about identical to this one, with a better spout but alot more money. I ordered a few of them up for my next trip as they lay pretty flat when filled and you can just lay them on top of the wing, open the nozzle and go on about the rest of your preflight while it fills the tank.

Avid "C" / Mk IV
582 (147 hrs and counting on the rebuild)
IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1450
#1 snake oil salesman since 1-22-2009

I would rather die trying to live, than to live trying not to die....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: