Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heatshrink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ralphmariafinch(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Heatshrink Reply with quote

That….is a lot of heatshrink. What’s the company’s name?
RF

I'm nearing the completion of all the various wiring requirements for my
plane. I've used up most of my heatshrink, but I needed a bit more.
I looked online (eBay) and found an RC Hobby Shop that had MANY heatshrink
selections for sale. (I think they are in Hong Kong)

I bought several of the smaller sizes around Christmas. Many of the 1 mm to
3 mm sizes were $.99 -$1.50 each........all of each size was 10 meters
long!! Yes, 10 meters long of 1/8" polyolefin for a buck, and this includes
shipping.

I was so pleased with my initial order(especially the quality of the product), I
ordered LOTS more!! In fact, I ordered 5 different colors X 5 different sizes.
I ought to have enough heatshrink to last me from now on!

I have used this heatshrink. It works VERY well, I am very pleased with it.
It is not especially heat sensitive....that is, it doesn't melt and stick to the soldering
iron, that the Radio Shack heatshrink I have does. It shrinks just like the normal
high quality stuff you'd expect. In other words....it ain't junk!!

As I said, my order arrived today. 25 pcs of 10M heatshink. 5 different colors,
in 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7mm sizes. Cost? $27 total, including shipping.
If anyone is in need of a great bargain on heatshrink, let me know, and I can forward
their company info on to you.

Here's a picture of the shipment I got today. (see picture)

Best regards, Mike Welch

[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: heatshrink Reply with quote

Group,

I'm receiving TONS of responses from lots of guys wanting to know more
information on the heatshrink.

First, be advised they are in Shenzhen, China (not Hong Kong).  I don't
know exactly where that is, but I know it isn't a 3 day delivery!!!  So,
expect at least 2+ weeks for your order to show up!!  My experience so far
has been around 2 1/2 weeks.

Second, I used PayPal to pay for both of my orders.  Initially I bought the
first batch via eBay auctions.  Once my first order got here, I contacted the
company directly, and asked them if they could put together a "special order"
for me.  (the reason for the 'special order' is;  many of their eBay auctions
include shipping.  But paying for 25 small shipping charges just doesn't seem
too.....let's say 'cost effective'.  So, I asked her if she could give me her
best price for one big order, and then figure one shipping charge for just
that one box.)

The lady I have been dealing with name is Lisa.  She sure seems nice from
what I can tell.  I would recommend you address her in your correspondence. 
Just a thought!  You might also mention me, to give her a frame of reference for
the pricing, but this may not be very necessary.  Your choice.

The website is;   www.hobbydream.com
  The PayPal address (for receiving payment) is;   cnbestone(at)gmail.com (cnbestone(at)gmail.com)

Let me mention ahead of time, it may take a few emails back and forth
for you to finally get your order straight.  This is an outfit on the other side
of the planet, so don't expect everything to get squared away in an hour.

I sent Lisa a 'heads up' email, letting her know I was passing out her company's
info.  I'd imagine she's expecting you guys.  I would also recommend you try to figure
out what you want to order BEFORE you begin emails back and forth.  They
don't have to sell ONLY 10 meter lengths, but I'd recommend it (it's a dollar
per length, almost 33 feet long!!!)  If you aren't sure how big a size is, do a
little research. 

UPDATE!!  I just went to their website.  You DEFINITELY want to mention you'd
like the same deal Mike Welch got!!!   The website shows a much higher price
per piece. 

If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Mike Welch

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Bob McC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Heatshrink Reply with quote

Mike;

Looks like a great deal on the heatshrink, but I’m assuming this is not the heavy dual wall heatshrink but only the lightweight kind?? If that’s correct do they also carry the dual wall type? I’d be interested in some of that. Please provide the source details to the list.

Also, please excuse my stupidity, but why would a hot soldering iron be coming in contact with your heatshrink?? This is the first time I’ve heard of this concern. If you’re soldering rather than crimping connections, the soldering would normally be done with the heatshrink some distance up the wire, then after the soldered joint has cooled the tubing would be slipped into place and then shrunk with hot air from a heat gun. The soldering iron would have no reason to be anywhere near the heatshrink, or am I missing something??

Bob McC

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Ralph & Maria Finch
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2011 8:46 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: AeroElectric-List: Heatshrink

RF

shipping.

I was so pleased with my initial order(especially the quality of the product), I

It is not especially heat sensitive....that is, it doesn't melt and stick to the soldering
iron, that the Radio Shack heatshrink I have does. It shrinks just like the normal

If anyone is in need of a great bargain on heatshrink, let me know, and I can forward

Best regards, Mike Welch

Quote:
  - The AeroElectric-List Email Forum ---> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[quote][b]

Falco #908
(just starting)
MNellis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Heatshrink Reply with quote

Quote:
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> 72 Clean Clean DocumentEmail false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]--> <![endif]--> st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) } <![endif]--> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
A soldering iron could come into contact with the heat shrink if you were using the iron to shrink the tubing. I do this quite frequently and it typically works quite well.

Mike
[quote]
Mike;

Looks like a great deal on the heatshrink, but I’m assuming this is not the heavy dual wall heatshrink but only the lightweight kind?? If that’s correct do they also carry the dual wall type? I’d be interested in some of that. Please provide the source details to the list.

Also, please excuse my stupidity, but why would a hot soldering iron be coming in contact with your heatshrink?? This is the first time I’ve heard of this concern. If you’re soldering rather than crimping connections, the soldering would normally be done with the heatshrink some distance up the wire, then after the soldered joint has cooled the tubing would be slipped into place and then shrunk with hot air from a heat gun. The soldering iron would have no reason to be anywhere near the heatshrink, or am I missing something??

Bob McC

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Ralph & Maria Finch
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com (aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com)

RF

shipping.

Best regards, Mike Welch

Quote:
- The AeroElectric-List Email Forum ---> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS - - List Contribution Web Site - -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
Quote:

Quote:
2 [b]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Heatshrink Reply with quote

Mike & Bob,

Exactly.  I don't have a heat gun.  I just use the soldering iron.  I
find it works very easily....except for the cheapie heatshrink, which
will melt and stick to it.  (moral; don't use the cheapie heatshrink)

Yes, I would say this is likely the thinwall stuff.  You'd have to ask
them if they carry any other kind.  : )

Mike Welch

Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 21:52:34 -0600
Subject: Re: Heatshrink

Quote:
.ExternalClass .ecxshape {;} .ExternalClass a:link {;} .ExternalClass span.ecxMSOHYPERLINK {;} .ExternalClass a:visited {;} .ExternalClass span.ecxMSOHYPERLINKFOLLOWED {;} .ExternalClass p {;} .ExternalClass pre {;} .ExternalClass p.ecxMSOACETATE {;} .ExternalClass li.ecxMSOACETATE {;} .ExternalClass div.ecxMSOACETATE {;} .ExternalClass span.ecxHTMLPREFORMATTEDCHAR {;} .ExternalClass span.ecxBALLOONTEXTCHAR {;} .ExternalClass p.ecxMsoNormal, .ExternalClass li.ecxMsoNormal, .ExternalClass div.ecxMsoNormal {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} .ExternalClass p.ecxMsoEnvelopeAddress, .ExternalClass li.ecxMsoEnvelopeAddress, .ExternalClass div.ecxMsoEnvelopeAddress {margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:0in;margin-left:2.0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-element:frame;font-size:14.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';color:black;} .ExternalClass p.ecxMsoEnvelopeReturn, .ExternalClass li.ecxMsoEnvelopeReturn, .ExternalClass div.ecxMsoEnvelopeReturn {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:9.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';color:black;} .ExternalClass a:link, .ExternalClass span.ecxMsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;text-underline:single;} .ExternalClass a:visited, .ExternalClass span.ecxMsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple;text-decoration:underline;text-underline:single;} .ExternalClass p {margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} .ExternalClass pre {margin-bottom:.0001pt;tab-stops:45.8pt 91.6pt 137.4pt 183.2pt 229.0pt 274.8pt 320.6pt 366.4pt 412.2pt 458.0pt 503.8pt 549.6pt 595.4pt 641.2pt 687.0pt 732.8pt;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:'Courier New';} .ExternalClass p.ecxMsoAcetate, .ExternalClass li.ecxMsoAcetate, .ExternalClass div.ecxMsoAcetate {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:8.0pt;font-family:Tahoma;} .ExternalClass span.ecxHTMLPreformattedChar {font-family:Consolas;} .ExternalClass span.ecxBalloonTextChar {font-family:Tahoma;} .ExternalClass p.ecxecxmsonormal, .ExternalClass li.ecxecxmsonormal, .ExternalClass div.ecxecxmsonormal {margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} .ExternalClass p.ecxecxmsochpdefault, .ExternalClass li.ecxecxmsochpdefault, .ExternalClass div.ecxecxmsochpdefault {margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} .ExternalClass p.ecxecxmsonormal1, .ExternalClass li.ecxecxmsonormal1, .ExternalClass div.ecxecxmsonormal1 {margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:0in;margin-left:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';color:black;} .ExternalClass p.ecxecxmsochpdefault1, .ExternalClass li.ecxecxmsochpdefault1, .ExternalClass div.ecxecxmsochpdefault1 {margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';color:black;} .ExternalClass span.ecxecxmsohyperlink {;} .ExternalClass span.ecxecxmsohyperlinkfollowed {;} .ExternalClass span.ecxecxhtmlpreformattedchar {;} .ExternalClass span.ecxecxemailstyle20 {;} .ExternalClass span.ecxecxmsohyperlink1 {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;text-underline:single;} .ExternalClass span.ecxecxmsohyperlinkfollowed1 {color:purple;text-decoration:underline;text-underline:single;} .ExternalClass span.ecxecxhtmlpreformattedchar1 {font-family:Consolas;color:black;} .ExternalClass span.ecxecxemailstyle201 {font-family:Calibri;color:#1F497D;} .ExternalClass span.ecxEmailStyle36 {font-family:Calibri;color:#1F497D;} .ExternalClass span.ecxEmailStyle37 {font-family:Tahoma;color:navy;font-weight:bold;} .ExternalClass span.ecxSpellE {;} .ExternalClass span.ecxGramE {;} (at)page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in;} .ExternalClass div.ecxSection1 {page:Section1;}
A soldering iron could come into contact with the heat shrink if you were using the iron to shrink the tubing.  I do this quite frequently and it typically works quite well.

Mike
Quote:

Mike;

Bob McC

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Ralph & Maria Finch

That….is a lot of heatshrink.  What’s the company’s name?
RF

plane.  I've used up most of my heatshrink, but I needed a bit more.
selections for sale.  (I think they are in Hong Kong)

I bought several of the smaller sizes around Christmas.  Many of the 1 mm to
3 mm sizes were $.99 -$1.50 each.......all of each size was 10 meters
long!!   Yes, 10 meters long of 1/8" polyolefin for a buck, and this includes
shipping.

ordered LOTS more!!  In fact, I ordered 5 different colors X 5 different sizes. 
I ought to have enough heatshrink to last me from now on!

I have used this heatshrink.  It works VERY well, I am very pleased with it.
iron, that the Radio Shack heatshrink I have does.  It shrinks just like the normal
high quality stuff you'd expect.  In other words....it ain't junk!!

As I said, my order arrived today.  25 pcs of 10M heatshink.    5 different colors,
in 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7mm sizes.  Cost?  $27  total, including shipping.
If anyone is in need of a great bargain on heatshrink, let me know, and I can forward

Best regards,  Mike Welch
Quote:
            - The AeroElectric-List Email Forum ---> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List               - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -             - List Contribution Web Site -                              -Matt Dralle, List Admin. 
Quote:

Quote:

3 [quote][b]

etienne.phillips(at)gmail

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Heatshrink Reply with quote

Initially, I also used my soldering iron, but after a similar experience and one gummed up tip later, I started using a cigarette lighter. At first it was just a cheap one, but now have a mini-blowtorch type windmill lighter that works faster and more accurately than any heat gun I've used.

Just a thought!
Etienne

On 11 Jan 2011, at 6:22 AM, Mike Welch wrote:
[quote]Mike & Bob,

Exactly. I don't have a heat gun. I just use the soldering iron. I
will melt and stick to it. (moral; don't use the cheapie heatshrink)

Yes, I would say this is likely the thinwall stuff. You'd have to ask
them if they carry any other kind. : )

Mike Welch

[b]

retasker(at)optonline.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: heatshrink Reply with quote

Just FYI. Shenzhen, China is just across the border from Hong Kong. It
used to be a sleepy fishing village, but after China opened a few areas
to Western investment (Nixon's era) it has grown to a very large city
with lots of industry. Very little manufacturing or other industry is
still in Hong Kong - it has all moved over the border into Shenzhen.

Dick Tasker

do not archive

Mike Welch wrote:
Quote:
Group,

I'm receiving TONS of responses from lots of guys wanting to know more
information on the heatshrink.

First, be advised they are in Shenzhen, China (not Hong Kong). I don't
know exactly where that is, but I know it isn't a 3 day delivery!!! So,
expect at least 2+ weeks for your order to show up!! My experience so
far
has been around 2 1/2 weeks.

Second, I used PayPal to pay for both of my orders. Initially I
bought the
first batch via eBay auctions. Once my first order got here, I
contacted the
company directly, and asked them if they could put together a "special
order"
for me. (the reason for the 'special order' is; many of their eBay
auctions
include shipping. But paying for 25 small shipping charges just
doesn't seem
too.....let's say 'cost effective'. So, I asked her if she could give
me her
best price for one big order, and then figure one shipping charge for
just
that one box.)

The lady I have been dealing with name is Lisa. She sure seems nice
from
what I can tell. I would recommend you address her in your
correspondence.
Just a thought! You might also mention me, to give her a frame of
reference for
the pricing, but this may not be very necessary. Your choice.

The website is; www.hobbydream.com <http://www.hobbydream.com>
The PayPal address (for receiving payment) is; cnbestone(at)gmail.com
<mailto:cnbestone(at)gmail.com>

Let me mention ahead of time, it may take a few emails back and forth
for you to finally get your order straight. This is an outfit on the
other side
of the planet, so don't expect everything to get squared away in an hour.

I sent Lisa a 'heads up' email, letting her know I was passing out
her company's
info. I'd imagine she's expecting you guys. I would also recommend
you try to figure
out what you want to order BEFORE you begin emails back and forth. They
don't have to sell ONLY 10 meter lengths, but I'd recommend it (it's a
dollar
per length, almost 33 feet long!!!) If you aren't sure how big a size
is, do a
little research.

UPDATE!! I just went to their website. You DEFINITELY want to
mention you'd
like the same deal Mike Welch got!!! The website shows a much higher
price
per piece.

If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Mike Welch

--
Please Note:
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however,
that a significant number of electrons may have been temporarily inconvenienced.
--

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: heatshrink Reply with quote

Group,

Just a quick FYI, I got an acknowledgement from Lisa regarding you
guys ordering heatshrink from her.  She said no problem, send her your lists.

Also, she mentioned she may have to bump the shipping charge up a bit.
Evidently, shipping a box stuffed full of heatshrink, large enough to fit a small turkey,
all the way from China, costs a little more than $2. 

Referring to shrinking again, I personally couldn't imagine an easier way to
shrink it, than with a soldering iron.  Providing you have the good stuff, it shrinks
like it supposed to.  It would seem like a lot more hassle (to me) to use a heat gun,
lighter, torch, or anything else.
  I'm not critizing, if your way works for you, great, but I find it pretty simple to
use the iron.  10 seconds and its done....and nothing else gets heated up in the process.

Mike Welch
[quote][b]

jimw_btg(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Heatshrink Reply with quote

Mike and others
Simple means is your wife’s or girlfriends hair dryer….. when she is out….. works great no problems with touching the tube. Mike who do we contact for ordering ? Thanks.

Jim Wickert
Tel 920-467-0219
Cell 920-912-1014

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Mike Welch
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2011 10:22 PM
Subject: RE: Heatshrink

Mike & Bob,

Mike Welch

Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 21:52:34 -0600
Subject: Re: Heatshrink

A soldering iron could come into contact with the heat shrink if you were using the iron to shrink the tubing. I do this quite frequently and it typically works quite well.

Mike
Mike;

Bob McC

Subject: RE: Heatshrink

RF

shipping.

Best regards, Mike Welch
Quote:
  - The AeroElectric-List Email Forum ---> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List   - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -   - List Contribution Web Site -     -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
  - The AeroElectric-List Email Forum -
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
--> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

mrspudandcompany(at)veriz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: heatshrink Reply with quote

Mike,

Does Lisa have her own email address or is it the general one on the website?

Roger

--

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: heatshrink Reply with quote

Group,

Regarding my order, I simply asked for 5 colors of
5 sizes (3,4,5,6 & 7mm).  5 colors X 5 sizes = 25
pieces, each piece 10 M long.  Simple as that.
  It took a few days, but she got back to me with
a pretty good price.  I paid by way of PayPal.

I think I need some more 2mm stuff.  This is an area
I think I may have overlooked.

You guys that want to order something, might try
sending Lisa a message via eBay (if cnbestone(at)gmail.com (cnbestone(at)gmail.com)
doesn't work out).  You might also try the "contact us"
tab on their Hobby Dream website.  My emails back and
forth to her were by way of the eBay message forum.

Thanks for the kudos, Mike Sharp.  I try to be helpful,
I really do.  But, like many, sometimes when we offer
what we think is useful information, tips, pointers, etc,
it sometimes backfires on us.  Inevitably, somebody will
point out my errors, blunders, or flaws.  Then, I wonder
why I even try to offer anything, 'cause now I look like
a fool.  Sad

I am somewhat new to this chat site.  I still find it
hard to believe such a wonderful resource is available
to the pilots and airplane builders.  Electronics always
has been a huge passion of mine, even though I spent most
of my life in the construction field.
  Being able to build little electronic circuits, and
have them actually work is a dream come true.  36 years ago,
I took an electronics training course in the Air Force.
For 35+ years, I have always wanted to "play" with electronic
circuits, and the Aeroelectric forum gives me the information
and resources to be able to finally do that.  For that, I am
VERY grateful!

I personally recognize there are a select few guys that
take the time to be helpful.  They don't have to, they just do.
When someone asks a question, they spend their valuable time
trying to help out.  Nice!!

Mike Welch
Do Not Archive

[quote][b]

Ed Anderson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: heatshrink Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike

Appreciate it!!

Ed

Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 1:09 PM
Subject: RE: heatshrink

Group,

Regarding my order, I simply asked for 5 colors of
5 sizes (3,4,5,6 & 7mm). 5 colors X 5 sizes = 25
pieces, each piece 10 M long. Simple as that.
It took a few days, but she got back to me with
a pretty good price. I paid by way of PayPal.

I think I need some more 2mm stuff. This is an area
I think I may have overlooked.

You guys that want to order something, might try
sending Lisa a message via eBay (if cnbestone(at)gmail.com (cnbestone(at)gmail.com)
doesn't work out). You might also try the "contact us"
tab on their Hobby Dream website. My emails back and
forth to her were by way of the eBay message forum.

Thanks for the kudos, Mike Sharp. I try to be helpful,
I really do. But, like many, sometimes when we offer
what we think is useful information, tips, pointers, etc,
it sometimes backfires on us. Inevitably, somebody will
point out my errors, blunders, or flaws. Then, I wonder
why I even try to offer anything, 'cause now I look like
a fool. Sad

I am somewhat new to this chat site. I still find it
hard to believe such a wonderful resource is available
to the pilots and airplane builders. Electronics always
has been a huge passion of mine, even though I spent most
of my life in the construction field.
Being able to build little electronic circuits, and
have them actually work is a dream come true. 36 years ago,
I took an electronics training course in the Air Force.
For 35+ years, I have always wanted to "play" with electronic
circuits, and the Aeroelectric forum gives me the information
and resources to be able to finally do that. For that, I am
VERY grateful!

I personally recognize there are a select few guys that
take the time to be helpful. They don't have to, they just do.
When someone asks a question, they spend their valuable time
trying to help out. Nice!!

Mike Welch
Do Not Archive

[quote]

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c
[b]

eanderson@carolina.rr.com
Bob McC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Heatshrink Reply with quote

Thanks guys;

My bit of education for the day. I’d never heard of doing that before, just never thought I guess. I’ve always used a 1000 degree industrial pin point heat gun or a butane micro torch, but heat is heat and I suppose a soldering iron is as good a source as any.
Also thank you for posting all of the info on your supplier, it’s appreciated

Bob McC

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Mike Welch
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2011 11:22 PM

Mike & Bob,

Mike Welch

[quote][b]

Falco #908
(just starting)
tonybabb(at)alejandra.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: heatshrink Reply with quote

Mike/ anyone,

I'm a long way from starting my electrical installation, building a Velocity canard/composite. Was the order you placed sufficient for an entire installation or was this a top-up after you'd already started. I have no idea how much I'll need.

Thanks,

Tony Babb
Velocity SEFG 62% done, 78% to go
www.alejandra.net/velocity
[quote]
--

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Heatshrink Reply with quote

At 11:52 PM 1/11/2011, you wrote:
Quote:
Thanks guys;

My bit of education for the day. I’d never heard of doing that before, just never thought I guess. I’ve always used a 1000 degree industrial pin point heat gun or a butane micro torch, but heat is heat and I suppose a soldering iron is as good a source as any.

The most common form of heat shrink is made from
a polyolefin plastic that shrinks in the 120 to 130
degrees C range. This is higher than the outlet
temperature of most hair dryers . . . or at least it
should be.

Further, most hair dryers and general utility heat
guns have large diameter outlets that tend to waste
the energy by throwing it all over the place instead
of directing it onto a relatively focused point of
interest.

The really cool heat guns for electronics all have
relatively small exit nozzles for the hot air. The
Ungar Princess

[img]cid:.0[/img]
Is one good case in point. This tool is only 250
watt rated and puts it's energy 'on the spot' as
opposed to blowing it around the room.

I've modified low cost heat guns my fabricating
a nozzle from an aluminum or steel funnel and
pop-riveting the modification to the guns outlet.
This has the compound useful effect of focused
energy output plus restricting airflow such that
air temperature rise on the LOW HEAT setting of
the heat gun is sufficient to the task.

I think the Harbor Freight used to sell a $10 tool
that was easily modified in this way. I'll look into
it and perhaps do a "comic book" on the modification.

My heat gun of current choice is the Milwaukee 2000D
that features an adjustable heat control. I've had this

[img]cid:.1[/img]

tool for quite a few years. I think I bought it in
a hurry one night at Home Depot after my $high$
Princess blew up. The 2000D came with a concentrator
nozzle which I've lost at some point in time. This
tool is still made an sells for about $40.

I tried increasing the output temperature on a hair
dryer by restricting the air flow with a concentrator
nozzle. The temperature did indeed rise but it caused
an over-temp fuse to blow inside the tool. I opened
the tool and bypassed the fuse. It sorta worked but
the labor to convert it to a real shrink-gun wasn't
worth the effort. You're better off starting with
a real heat gun of some variety.

There's a raft of butane powered, flameless heating
tools that offer soldering tips along with hot gas
diffusers for heat-shrinking and other general heating
of small areas.

Bob . . .

86e2c3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.79 KB
 Viewed:  7366 Time(s)

86e2c3.jpg

86e311.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.65 KB
 Viewed:  7366 Time(s)

86e311.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: heatshrink Reply with quote

Hi Tony,

I'm building a Kolb MkIII. It's more like an overgrown ultralight, if you're
not familiar with the make. I have an overhead panel and a front panel/
radio console. The distance between them is about 8 feet, with proper
routing.Most, but not all, of the wiring bundles I have are encapsulated in
that 'split loom' stuff you can get from auto parts stores. Here's the stuff
I bought;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260705433450&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

For short runs of bundled wires, in the 6" to 24" realm, I use the
heatshrink, and in some cases, in may not even be shrunk. It's primary
function in these circumstances is just to protect the bundles from chafing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: