Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

aileron gap seal advice request

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimmy Young

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: aileron gap seal advice request Reply with quote

Kolb Folks,

I need to replace my deteriorated clear-tape gap seals with PolyFiber tape.

Need to know if when using Poly tape if you only do one side, & if so, top or bottom. I'm assuming top?

I removed my seals today and went for a flight-gap seals off, noticed my Kob pulls more to the right than she used to. Also noticed in turbulence I need to apply quite a bit more stick pressure to level the wings, so it's obvious the gap seals help in control authority. Stall speed is the same, cruise speed is the same, but she just doesn't have the easy finger-tip control she had before.

Ready for suggestions,

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

frank.goodnight(at)att.ne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: aileron gap seal advice request Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

I Know your plane is prettier than mine -----but---- the best thing I have found for gap seals , after useing
both pollyfiber and the clear (book repair tape from Kolb ) is two strips of 2in, gorrilla tape one with
the sticky side up and and the other one sticky side down. Easy to put on and Easy to take off should you
need to make a repair, plus it lasts a long time,I also use a strip of it for leading edge protection.
Stay warn and dry. It's been a little cool here in Ark.
Frank

To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Sat, January 22, 2011 6:01:54 PM
Subject: aileron gap seal advice request

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Jimmy Young" <jdy100(at)comcast.net (jdy100(at)comcast.net)>

Kolb Folks,

I need to replace my deteriorated clear-tape gap seals with PolyFiber tape.

Need to know if when using Poly tape if you only do one side, & if so, top or bottom. I'm assuming top?

I removed my seals today and went for a flight-gap seals off, noticed my Kob pulls more to the right than she used to. Also noticed in turbulence I need to apply quite a bit more stick pressure to level the wings, so it's obvious the gap seals help in control authority. Stall speed is the same, cruise speed is the same, but she just doesn't have the easy finger-tip control she had before.

Ready for suggestions,

--------
Jimmy Young
Missouri City, TX
Kolb FS II/HKS 700

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/vi= &nbs===================
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John Bickham

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: aileron gap seal advice request Reply with quote

Hey Jimmy,

This is what I did and got good results for +10 years now.
Early on I noticed a lot of cracking in the gap seals of various Kolbs using the recommended method. I think that 2" tapes were the standard. This method kinda produced a hard crease, like an upside down "V". I used a 3" tape that is folded back and doubled for about 6 inches on the ends for strength. The 3" tape produces more of a roll than a hard crease that is less prone to cracking, IMHO.

After over 10 years, just starting to see a little cracking in gap seals on inboard flap in. I use them flaps a lot at Nauga!! Simply my experience and opinion.

John Bickham
Mark III-C w/ 912UL
St. Francisville, LA

I know many pilots and a few true aviators. There is a distinct difference that I have the greatest respect for.
Jimmy Young

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: aileron gap seal advice request Reply with quote

Quote:
I Know your plane is prettier than mine

Frank, I've never seen your Kolb so I can't comment on that. Maybe one day we can meet somewhar & check each other's Firestar out.

Back to the finishing tape method for a gap seal, I'd like to see a pic of someone's Kolb done that way if anyone has a photo handy. I was looking it over today and it seems one layer over the top laid down with the flaperons in the down position would do the trick. What I need to know is, do I need one on the bottom as well? If it's just for looks only, I'll go on top. If it has much, if any, effectiveness to add one on the bottom, then I'll do that as well.

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: aileron gap seal advice request Reply with quote

What I need to know is, do I need one on the bottom as well? If it's just
for looks only, I'll go on top>>

Hi Jimmy,
It definitely is not `for looks only` it is for efficiency. The tape should
go from the top surface of the wing to the underside of the aileron.
On the other hand I have seen gliders, who REALLY worry about things like
that and fit ailerons/elevaters/rudder to much tighter tolerances than a
Kolb, use a tape to connect both TOP surfaces. Might be worth talking to a
glider pilot who is current about it. My gliding experience is many years
out of date.

Cheers

Pat

by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: aileron gap seal advice request Reply with quote

What I need to know is, do I need one on the bottom as well? If it's just
for looks only, I'll go on top>>

Hi Jimmy,
It definitely is not `for looks only` it is for efficiency. The tape should
go from the top surface of the wing to the underside of the aileron.
Cheers

Pat
Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i did mine the way pat describes... but i used book binding tape, found an exact match,,, used 2 inch wide tape, overlalped sticky side to stick side 1 inch,,, leaving 1 inch sticky to attach to the top of wind and 1 inch sticky to attach to bottom of aileron. i guess you could do it with polly fiber,,, but not 100 % sure how to keep a straight line when gluing the inside line on the strip. maybe you could use some type of silicone tape.

boyd young mkiii
utah
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: