Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firestar to MK III C transition.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thumper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Firestar to MK III C transition. Reply with quote

To all
Please give me in the simplest form the major differences between the Firestar I and a MK3C. I have sold my Firestar KX to a fellow in TX and I am buying the MK3C owned by Keith Anderson in Oregon. I intend to get my SP rating and I have an instructor lined up. I have 100+ hours in an Ultrastar and 100+ hours in the Firestar all within the last 2 years. I have been reading the old posts and I am looking for the most important tips you all have for me on this transition. I know I will have to learn the 912 80hp engine but I have plenty of local help for that.

Thanks
Dennis Long in W. TN.
Moving on up.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

100_3297.JPG
 Description:
From this:
 Filesize:  286.27 KB
 Viewed:  8342 Time(s)

100_3297.JPG

plane kolb 065.jpg
 Description:
To this:
 Filesize:  1.12 MB
 Viewed:  8342 Time(s)

plane kolb 065.jpg

Previously Kolb Mark IIIC, 94 Firestar, 84 Ultrastar.
1200+hours since 1/1/2009
lcottrell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Firestar to MK III C transition. Reply with quote

To all
Please give me in the simplest form the major differences between the Firestar I and a MK3C. I have sold my Firestar KX to a fellow in TX and I am buying the MK3C owned by Keith Anderson in Oregon.

I am familiar with Keith's plane, and own a Firestar II and have owned a Mark III. If you can fly a Firestar, you shouldn't have any trouble with the Mark III. Its bigger, should be faster, land pretty much the same if not a bit slower, carry more weight. The comparison that I would make is that you are trading a sports car for a van, but you will have more range and can carry more stuff. Should be no problem for you.
Larry
Oregon

Note: If you forward this email, please delete the forwarding history, which includes my email address.
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Firestar to MK III C transition. Reply with quote

The comparison that I would make is that you are trading a sports car for a
van, but you will have more range and can carry more stuff. Should be no
problem for you.
Larry
Larry C/Gang:

I agree with Larry. If you can fly one model Kolb, you can fly them all.

Since Larry hurt my feelings referring to MKIII's at "vans", I will have to
fly circles around him next June, if I can make it back to the Rock House.
Wink

Sitting here getting antsier waiting on warm weather and some cross country
flying. Last cross country was Sun and Fun 2010.

john h
MKIII
Titus, Alabama

Titus, Alabama
lcottrell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Firestar to MK III C transition. Reply with quote

Since Larry hurt my feelings referring to MKIII's at "vans", I will have to
fly circles around him next June, if I can make it back to the Rock House.
Wink

Works for me.
Larry

Note: If you forward this email, please delete the forwarding history, which includes my email address.
[quote][b]

Arksey(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Firestar to MK III C transition. Reply with quote

In a message dated 1/27/2011 3:42:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, lcottrell1020(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:
To all
Please give me in the simplest form the major differences between the Firestar I and a MK3C. I have sold my Firestar KX to a fellow in TX and I am buying the MK3C owned by Keith Anderson in Oregon.
My experience flying Kolb's started with some dual in a MK lll to give me some idea how a Kolb was to fly, I then purchased a Kolb firestar ll and have put a lot of hours on it and enjoy it. I had as with every airplane to get used to some things. This last summer I put a lot of time in a MK lll C and found it to be the same airplane as far as traits as the Firestar. It is a good airplane and you will enjoy it. You need to get used to it, I would suggest spending time just setting in it to become familiar with were things are, spend some time taxing, become familiar with the required speeds, in other words the things you would do when flying any different airplane....I would not fool with the flaps until I had got somewhat used to the plane. I would use no flaps on take off and when I was used to flying the plane then I would deploy the flaps at proper airspeed and with some altitude to get used to them, I would also suggest that upon the lst flight to go up to a safe altitude and do some stalls to find out where the indicated airspeed stall is . I am sure I have repeated a lot of things you already know but it is always good to be reminded. The most important thing is to always fly the airplane', don't let it fly you.... Jim Swan up in cold and snowy Michigan

Do not archive
FIRESTAR ll 503 Michigan jswan
GPS FOR MY RUNWAY N 42 deg 28.581 W084deg 44.825
ph. 517-663-8488
[quote][b]

elleryweld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Firestar to MK III C transition. Reply with quote

I had an Original Firestar (corvette) with a lot of changes to it to reduce drag I could catch a friend of mine in a PA11 and pass him, I kick my self in the A%# for getting rid of it, and Getting into a MK3C I call (Slow Poke) 30 MPH slower than the firestar but fly's the same gets off quick and climbs like a home sick angel The Mk3C has more drag a lot more I have been making changes to it to reduce drag . although it has enough room to haul plenty of gear and a chance to give someone a ride. if I can get this MK3C to go like my Firestar I will be happy with it, if not I will probably sell it, I just cant get my self to try to do long cross countrys with Ole Slow Poke when I can take the scenic rout and drive there faster its hard to make a change and lose that much speed for me anyway

The firestar Held 10 Gallons of fuel and would sip 2.7 GPH 
The MK3C Holds 20 Gallons of Fuel and Gulps 6.+ GPH
sorry about the long rant
You should be all set to jump into it and fly away if you have 100 hours in a firestar though

Ellery Batchelder Jr.

DO NOT ARCHIVE

--

lcottrell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Firestar to MK III C transition. Reply with quote

I feel the need for a bit of a disclaimer here. The plane that he is buying has a 80 horse 912 on it and if he is getting the whole package, ( trailer and goodies) is getting a good deal. The plane will fly faster than his Firestar, I would expect the cruise to be about 75 to 80 true airspeed, and the 912 is pretty easy on fuel. The Mark III that I had was powered by a 582 and sucked gas. That by the way was the only reason that I got rid of it. Didn't think I could afford a 912. If it had flown like John's Pfer I sure would have kept it. ( Now are you happy, old man?)

I am quite sure that you will like the plane and get a lot of enjoyment out of it. If your path goes any where close to here you are welcome to stop by for the night. Klamath Falls is about 6 hours ( 330 miles) from here.
42 40.919 N 117 51 198 W

Larry

[quote][b]

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Firestar to MK III C transition. Reply with quote

"If you can fly one model Kolb, you can fly them all....

john h "
The following does not really apply to the original question but I just couldn't let the above statement go by without comment.

I agree that if you can FLY one Kolb you can FLY them all, but landing and take-off on pavement in a Slingshot is a different story. It is not hard to learn but it is not really much like the short leg Kolbs; more like a traditional tail dragger with excellent visibility.

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Firestar to MK III C transition. Reply with quote

elleryweld(at)aol.com wrote:

The firestar Held 10 Gallons of fuel and would sip 2.7 GPH�
The MK3C Holds 20 Gallons of Fuel and Gulps 6.+ GPH
Ellery Batchelder Jr.
--

What kind of engine were you using that burns more than 6 GPH? My 582 burns less than 4 unless I am running it wide open.

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

elleryweld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Firestar to MK III C transition. Reply with quote

when trying to keep up with everyone else I fly with the 582 is to thirsty for my budget
at a much reduced power setting when I am flying alone it will burn a bit above 4 but it will take you all day to get there it seems

Ellery Batchelder Jr.

--

John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Firestar to MK III C transition. Reply with quote

What kind of engine were you using that burns more than 6 GPH? My 582 burns
less than 4 unless I am running it wide open.

Richard Pike

Richard P/Gang:
Fuel consumption is based on how the MKIII is flown. Most 582's on MKIII's
burn 5 gph.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Titus, Alabama
John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Firestar to MK III C transition. Reply with quote

Forgot to include the rpm in my previous msg.

burn 5 gph at 5800.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Titus, Alabama
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Firestar to MK III C transition. Reply with quote

John Hauck wrote:
Forgot to include the rpm in my previous msg.

burn 5 gph at 5800.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

I guess that explains why I never go anywhere, 5800 is above my comfort zone.
I would rather roll with the punches than fight back. <grin>

Have to be content with looking at the pictures the rest of you take.
So keep taking those pictures & post them. (But not at full size, please)

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Firestar to MK III C transition. Reply with quote

[quote="lcottrell"]The comparison that I would make is that you are trading a sports car for a van, but you will have more range and can carry more stuff.
Larry
Oregon
Quote:
[b]

Having owned a MKIII since 1995 and having a FSII in the hangar next to me since 2005 (which I could fly whenever I wanted,) let me weigh in on this.

If you leave the aileron bellcrank which connects to the aileron pushrods the standard distance between the two pushrod bolt holes, then I would agree with you, and would also add that both of them require heavy stick forces to extract maximum agility.

If you reduce the distance between the bolt holes to improve your stick leverage on both airplanes, then the FSII simply becomes a lot less labor intensive to fly, and the MKIII becomes not only less labor intensive, but a lot more agile in the process. This might seem a bit counter-intuitive, nonetheless that is how it works, probably because none of us is likely to try and get serious agility out of an airplane when it seems like it takes "too much muscle" to do it.

Modified you have a situation where the FSII handles like a smaller sports car, and the MKIII like a well designed sports sedan with all the handling options. Plus room for sweet thing & a picnic lunch...

MKIII aileron mod: http://www.bcchapel.org/pages/0003/pg7.htm
FSII aileron mod: http://www.bcchapel.org/pages/0003/FSII%20ailerons.html

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Firestar to MK III C transition. Reply with quote

Richard,

I miss your NSX avatar, much prettier than that photo of your distant cousin Smile. Speaking of the NSX, I would suggest that to be the automotive comparison to the Kolb Slingshot.

do not archive

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Firestar to MK III C transition. Reply with quote

Thom Riddle wrote:
Richard,

I miss your NSX avatar, much prettier than that photo of your distant cousin Smile. Speaking of the NSX, I would suggest that to be the automotive comparison to the Kolb Slingshot.

do not archive

A good wife, a good Kolb, and a good car, and I'm good to go.
(PS: this is part of the reason why I'm a preacher of the Gospel. God's grace giving me what I don't deserve, and His mercy sparing me from what I do deserve. I probably know more about that than anybody!)

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

(Ok, I'll try and bring back the NSX avatar. Assuming I can find it again...)

Do Not Archive

RPat SPFeb2005 (Large).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  62.44 KB
 Viewed:  8155 Time(s)

RPat SPFeb2005 (Large).jpg

CatfishPond.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  193.87 KB
 Viewed:  8155 Time(s)

CatfishPond.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: