Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

electronic ignition
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greghale

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

Can anyone give me some advice on a good electronic ignition system for my RV10? I will be going to Sun n Fun this year and want to check into this....Thanks

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

tsts4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: electronic ignition Reply with quote

Let’s see, some of the usual suspects include:

Light Speed Engineering’s Plasma III: http://www.lightspeedengineering.com/

Unison LASAR: http://www.unisonindustries.com/ourproducts/lasarelectronicignition.html

EFii: http://www.flyefii.com/

G3i: http://www.g3ignition.com/

EMAG (suppose to be real close to releasing a P-Mag for the 6-cyl Lycs): www.emagair.com

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kellym

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

The Lightspeed Plasma that Van's sells seems to be the most common. Emag
has been promising a 6 cyl version for a long time. G3 modification to
standard mags seems to be the other most viable alternative. Probably
one or two others, but not that many options.
On 2/3/2011 1:21 PM, greghale wrote:
Quote:

Can anyone give me some advice on a good electronic ignition system for my RV10? I will be going to Sun n Fun this year and want to check into this....Thanks

--------
Greg Hale rv10 -- N210KH
www.nwacaptain.com

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=329487#329487

Robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

I keep waiting for the 6 cylinder P-Mag.
At this rate I will be able to mount one in my RV-18.

Robin
Do Not Archive
--

carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

I got a note from eMag that they will have the 6 cylinder pMag at Sun&Fun. I put an order in for two.

As a former dual Lightspeed owner, I'll never again put those on any engine. I now have 300 trouble free hours on my 8A dual pMag set up.

Carl

Sent from my mobile phone.   Please read past the typos.
-----Original message-----
[quote]From: Robin Marks <Robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com>
To:
rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Sent:
Thu, Feb 3, 2011 20:36:41 GMT+00:00
Subject:
RE: RV10-List: electronic ignition

bruce1hwjohnson(at)yahoo.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

I have the light speed and only have 38 hrs on it, but so far so good.

To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Thu, February 3, 2011 1:21:42 PM
Subject: electronic ignition

--> RV10-List message posted by: "greghale" <ghale5224(at)aol.com (ghale5224(at)aol.com)>

--------
Greg Hale rv10 -- N210KH
www.nwacaptain.com

[quote][b]

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

It's interesting that you ordered 2 of something that isn't
even available yet, especially given your Lightspeed experience.
I would never order 2 of anything, given that Lightspeed works
great with only 1. But, I had thought I'd get eMags/pMags
way back in 2004-2005, and they were promising them shortly
back then. It could be a good thing that they waited
this long, but then again, what kinds of problems were
there that caused this long of a delay? They certainly
have had the pent up demand for many years...so it isn't
lack of interest. I was really interested in them,
but they too have had issues.
Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD
do not archive
On 2/3/2011 3:17 PM, carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net wrote:
[quote] I got a note from eMag that they will have the 6 cylinder pMag at
Sun&Fun. I put an order in for two.

As a former dual Lightspeed owner, I'll never again put those on any
engine. I now have 300 trouble free hours on my 8A dual pMag set up.

Carl

Sent from my mobile phone. Please read past the typos.

To: *rv10-list(at)matronics.com*
Sent: *Thu, Feb 3, 2011 20:36:41 GMT+00:00*
Subject: *RE: electronic ignition

Robin
Do Not Archive
--

bruce1hwjohnson(at)yahoo.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

What problems did you have with the Light Speed?

From: "carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net" <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net>
Sent: Thu, February 3, 2011 2:17:44 PM
Subject: RE: electronic ignition

body {word-wrap:break-word;background-color:#ffffff;} I got a note from eMag that they will have the 6 cylinder pMag at Sun&Fun. I put an order in for two.

As a former dual Lightspeed owner, I'll never again put those on any engine. I now have 300 trouble free hours on my 8A dual pMag set up.

Carl

[quote] From: Robin Marks <Robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com>
To:
Sent:
Subject:
RE: electronic ignition
--> RV10-List message posted by: Robin Marks

Robin
Do Not Archive
--

msausen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

This is one of those primer type discussions.  For every person that says that he never had a problem, there are 10 people lined up that have.  Smile

Michael

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 3:18 PM
Subject: RE: RV10-List: electronic ignition

I got a note from eMag that they will have the 6 cylinder pMag at Sun&Fun. I put an order in for two.

Carl

To:
Sent:
Subject:
RE: RV10-List: electronic ignition

Robin
Do Not Archive
--

rwwende

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

I thoughts on the g 3 system

Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless
[quote]From: Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com>
To:
Sent:
Thu, Feb 3, 2011 21:56:59 GMT+00:00
Subject:
Re: RV10-List: electronic ignition

Strasnuts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

• Haben Sie die Anweisungen!

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 3, 2011, at 15:07, Bruce Johnson <bruce1hwjohnson(at)yahoo.com (bruce1hwjohnson(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:

[quote]What problems did you have with the Light Speed?

From: "carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)" <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)>
To: [url=mailto:rv10-list(at)matronics.com]rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)[/url]
Sent: Thu, February 3, 2011 2:17:44 PM

body {word-wrap:break-word;background-color:#ffffff;} I got a note from eMag that they will have the 6 cylinder pMag at Sun&Fun. I put an order in for two.

Carl

[quote] From: Robin Marks <Robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com (Robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com)>
To:
rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Sent:
Subject:

Robin
Do Not Archive
--

SuperSTOL 60 hours
msausen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

Seems odd that they would be holding out for certification before releasing the experimental version. They could be gathering data from units in the field to support their certification process. Although I’ve also been hearing about how they were working towards certification for as long as I’ve been hearing about the 6cyl version. They are certainly not without their problems if you do a little due diligence, Marc Zeitlin has wrote up his experiences in the past. Not that any of them are perfect.

Michael

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Robin Marks
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 4:12 PM

I was on the phone with E-Mag this morning and to their credit each time I have asked them when the 6 cylinder version would be released they never promised a date so as to not disappoint. That being said the 6 cylinder version at SNF 2011 will be a sample to hold, feel, review but not be available for sale. The reason they are taking so long as they are shooting for certification on the 6 cylinder version which gives me a much warmer fuzzy feeling. He did say they would most likely be releasing the experimental version prior to certification but I suspect the differences if any will be minor.
I have a 4 cylinder version on my 200 Hp IO-360 that had been pickled for 10 years before first start. Started on the second blade.
I have been on the 6 cylinder “list” for well over 2 years.

Robin

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com<mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com> [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com<mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com>] On Behalf Of carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net<mailto:carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net>
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 1:18 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com<mailto:rv10-list(at)matronics.com>

Carl

To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com<mailto:rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Thu, Feb 3, 2011 20:36:41 GMT+00:00

Robin
Do Not Archive
--

jcumins(at)jcis.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

Well here goes my 2 cents worth.

I am a mechanic on a Sport Biplane that we race in Reno each year,  we are running dual p-mags, and have not had any issues with them at all.  And when they needed a circuit board fix they took care of it right away.

Cars have been running electronic ignitions for over 30 years now and the technology is not that new.  I suspect that by the time E-mag comes out with there 6 cylinder model they should have it relatively working smooth.

I talked to e-mag at Oshkosh this past summer, and got to see their version  of the Bendix Dual mage replacement p-mag.  They are building 2 mags in 1 housing for the single mag 4 cyl motor that came with the Bendix dual mag.  I do believe that is what there trying to get certified. 

I was told that the housing for the six cyl mag will be almost identical as the  Bendix dual mag replacement p-mag.  So that puts some light into the process.

So I a thinking about either dual p-mags for the io-540 or Slick mags with the G-3 Electronic ignition system.

John Cumins
40864 Emp Wings Making Aileron Hinge brackets so much fun!!!  Deburr Deburr
From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of RV Builder (Michael Sausen)
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 2:50 PM

Seems odd that they would be holding out for certification before releasing the experimental version. They could be gathering data from units in the field to support their certification process. Although I’ve also been hearing about how they were working towards certification for as long as I’ve been hearing about the 6cyl version. They are certainly not without their problems if you do a little due diligence, Marc Zeitlin has wrote up his experiences in the past. Not that any of them are perfect.

Michael

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Robin Marks

I was on the phone with E-Mag this morning and to their credit each time I have asked them when the 6 cylinder version would be released they never promised a date so as to not disappoint. That being said the 6 cylinder version at SNF 2011 will be a sample to hold, feel, review but not be available for sale. The reason they are taking so long as they are shooting for certification on the 6 cylinder version which gives me a much warmer fuzzy feeling. He did say they would most likely be releasing the experimental version prior to certification but I suspect the differences if any will be minor.
I have a 4 cylinder version on my 200 Hp IO-360 that had been pickled for 10 years before first start. Started on the second blade.

Robin

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)

Carl

To:
Sent:
Subject:

Robin
Do Not Archive
--

Robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

I should have been clearer. I believe what they have in mind is for them to get to a point where they feel confident that the certified version is or will be certified and then release the experimental version based on the certified specs but maybe without the final certified stamp of approval. Again I THINK they feel they can eliminate most of the issues this way vs. selling R&D experimental units and having the same problem most EI’s have at introduction which is Plug & Pray, the source of most consumer complaints and the occasional off field landing.
As far as issues with the 4 cylinder version that was definitely true early on. I am not sure how many 4 cylinder versions have issues out of the box today but I have not read or heard of much grumbling for many years.
I chose to get 1 P-Mag & 1 Mag for my 8A and will do the same for my -10 once the 6 cylinder version is available. I know I can limp home on 1 mag.

Robin

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of RV Builder (Michael Sausen)
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 2:50 PM

Seems odd that they would be holding out for certification before releasing the experimental version.  They could be gathering data from units in the field to support their certification process.  Although I’ve also been hearing about how they were working towards certification for as long as I’ve been hearing about the 6cyl version.  They are certainly not without their problems if you do a little due diligence, Marc Zeitlin has wrote up his experiences in the past.  Not that any of them are perfect.

Michael

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Robin Marks

Robin

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)

I got a note from eMag that they will have the 6 cylinder pMag at Sun&Fun.  I put an order in for two.

As a former dual Lightspeed owner, I'll never again put those on any engine.  I now have 300 trouble free hours on my 8A dual pMag set up.

Carl

Sent from my mobile phone.   Please read past the typos.

To:
Sent:
Subject:

Robin
Do Not Archive
--

robertbrunk(at)me.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

I have 325 trouble free hours in my lightspeed w mag setup and I wouldn't change it for anything else. 661G Robert

Robert Brunkenhoefer
Sent from my Apple iPad

On Feb 3, 2011, at 3:17 PM, "carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)" <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net)> wrote:

[quote]I got a note from eMag that they will have the 6 cylinder pMag at Sun&Fun. I put an order in for two.

Carl

[quote]From: Robin Marks <Robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com (Robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com)>
To:
Sent:
Subject:

Robin
Do Not Archive
--

dmaib(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

I believe the release of the 6 cylinder Pmag was announced a couple
of months ago. I know I saw an article or news release about it. It
had pricing info, but I don't recall what it was.

David Maib
flying
On Feb 3, 2011, at 3:36 PM, Robin Marks wrote:

[quote]

Robin
Do Not Archive
--

dmaib(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

The Pmag would be my choice. I am in no hurry since my Lightspeed/mag
setup is working great, but I will probably change to dual Pmags at
some point.

David Maib
flying

On Feb 3, 2011, at 3:21 PM, greghale wrote:

Quote:

Can anyone give me some advice on a good electronic ignition system
for my RV10? I will be going to Sun n Fun this year and want to
check into this....Thanks

--------
Greg Hale rv10 -- N210KH
www.nwacaptain.com

daveleikam(at)wi.rr.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

I recently did my first engine run (Stock IO-540 from Van's) with G3 installed. Fired on the second blade and ran very smooth. I have only run the engine twice for about 5 minutes each time to do basic leak and sensor checks. I did not notice any appreciable change in RPM with G3 switched on or off while running. Just ran smooth in either case. I will know more after I get it in the air, hopefully later this month or in March.

David Leikam
RV10
N89DA

On Feb 3, 2011, at 4:22 PM, Ross Wendell wrote:
[quote]I thoughts on the g 3 system

Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless
[quote]From: Tim Olson <Tim(at)myrv10.com (Tim(at)myrv10.com)>
To:
Sent:
Thu, Feb 3, 2011 21:56:59 GMT+00:00
Subject:
Re: electronic ignition
--> RV10-List message posted by: Tim Olson

It's interesting that you ordered 2 of something that isn't
even available yet, especially given your Lightspeed experience.
I would never order 2 of anything, given that Lightspeed works
great with only 1. But, I had thought I'd get eMags/pMags
way back in 2004-2005, and they were promising them shortly
back then. It could be a good thing that they waited
this long, but then again, what kinds of problems were
there that caused this long of a delay? They certainly
have had the pent up demand for many years...so it isn't
lack of interest. I was really interested in them,
but they too have had issues.
Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD
do not archive
On 2/3/2011 3:17 PM, carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net (carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net) wrote:
[quote] I got a note from eMag that they will have the 6 cylinder pMag at
Sun&Fun. I put an order in for two.

As a former dual Lightspeed owner, I'll never again put those on any
engine. I now have 300 trouble free hours on my 8A dual pMag set up.

Carl

To: *rv10-list(at)matronics.com*
Sent: *Thu, Feb 3, 2011 20:36:41 GMT+00:00*
Subject: *RE: electronic ignition

Robin
Do Not Archive
--

Barry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

I have 1 Electroair and 1 mag and I am very happy with the setup. I
can run LOP smoothly and it starts good. The Electroair is the old
Jeff Rose setup they compare in the EAA CAFE report. I used the
Electroair because Lightspeed did not have a mounting bracket for the
crank pickup to fit my engine. The guys at Electroair are good to
work with and they are going for a certified model also. Blue Skys Barry

kdbelue(at)charter.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: electronic ignition Reply with quote

E-mag had the 6 cyl version last year and said the same thing. I like the new package- it's different from the others. Round, tube-shaped with the wires coming out of the end in a circular fashion. The wires are locked in more securely than in the past. I sent out a picture of it last year. I'll send it again if I can find it. I'd like to install the 6 cyl pmag in my RV-10 also...

Kevin B

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 3, 2011, at 4:12 PM, Robin Marks <Robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com> wrote:

[quote] I was on the phone with E-Mag this morning and to their credit each time I have asked them when the 6 cylinder version would be released they never promised a date so as to not disappoint. That being said the 6 cylinder version at SNF 2011 will be a sample to hold, feel, review but not be available for sale. The reason they are taking so long as they are shooting for certification on the 6 cylinder version which gives me a much warmer fuzzy feeling. He did say they would most likely be releasing the experimental version prior to certification but I suspect the differences if any will be minor.

I have been on the 6 cylinder “list” for well over 2 years

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: