Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cracks in Crankcase

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich L

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Cracks in Crankcase Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of the Crankcase cracking on a 912uls? SB-912-029 makes it sound like it can easily happen. Or is that CYA?

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List

Kiev Prop
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracks in Crankcase Reply with quote

Hi Rich,

Maybe a little CYA, plus it includes some people that don't follow Rotax engine maint. recommendations, inspections or use after market parts and maybe even a few that want to use baling wire to hold things on. Laughing
I have not personally seen a cracked crankcase, but I'm sure it would not have been posted by Rotax unless something had happened. It sounds as if it is fairly rare, but something they wanted people to take notice about. I don't think I would be alarmed especially if you follow Rotax instructions. The Rotax 912 is a good solid engine and has been around since late 1989 and has steadily grown from its good reputation to one of the most popular engines today. Most of the complaints I have seen come from someone trying to treat it or compare it to some other engine, don't take the time to understand the Rotax or don't follow the Rotax instructions and do something on their own.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
Dick Maddux

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Cracks in Crankcase Reply with quote

> Has anyone heard of the Crankcase cracking on a 912uls?  SB-912-029 makes it sound
like it can easily happen. Or is that CYA?<

I heard about this happening in one of my recent 912 classes. Apparently too much pitch on the prop can over load earlier cases and create stresses leading to case cracking thus the min 5200 static (WOT) Rotax calls for in their bulletin.
      Dick Maddux
      Milton ,Fl
[quote][b]

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Cracks in Crankcase Reply with quote

Hi Dick,

Now that you mention that I do remember them talking about that in class. Just another good reason for people to follow Rotax recommendations and not branch out on their own and experiment. Rotax has many thousands of hours of experience and knowledge from a world's worth of 912's and 20 years of time not to mention their own testing. I think I'll defer to their wisdom and and keep my engine strong right up to TBO and beyond.

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
ronlee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Cracks in Crankcase Reply with quote

I too remember reading Rotax 912 information about dragging the engine down by over propping as being the cause of cracking crankcases. I believe the MINIMUM required on wide open throttle is 5400 rpm.
I believe some have a tendency to want to run our engines at lower rpm then they were designed for. Maybe we feel they Will burn less fuel and or last longer. If anyone has different info please post.

Dick Maddux

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Cracks in Crankcase Reply with quote

>I believe the MINIMUM
required on wide open throttle is 5400 rpm.<

Ron,
If you check the service bulletin you will see the minimum is 5200.
      Dick Maddux
      Milton,Fl
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: