Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering a Yak..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gnomeylou(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Considering a Yak.. Reply with quote

Hey guys-

My father and I are thinking about a Ysk 52 and are curious about the typical "first items." we currently own an RV6 and are trying to decide what's going to be the big changes.. Money!

What kind of expenses are we looking at yearly?

Typical annual cost, etc, etc..

How is the mx on these birds? If we pick one up, I plan on attending the class D. Savarese offers..

We have never owned a radial so this will be an new experience.. Pops has T-28 time, I have no real radial experience..

Thanks

Jeff
Sent from my iPhone...

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Considering a Yak.. Reply with quote

List is distinguished. Here is some things to look at to start.
The date the fuel lines and oil lines were last changed?
The condition of the uplocks?
When were the actuators last serviced?
Engine condition, hours, compression ect.
How many times has the engine been rebuilt?
Condition of the mags and the age of the coils.
Ingtegrity of the air system. Does it leak down over 1 to 2 days.
Condition of the rudder and aileron bearings.
Condition of the cables. Look at the pulleys are they lubricated.
Heavy Spar and wing strap modes done?
Does the owner have the RU engine and airframe logs.
Getting someone like Dennis Savarese to look at the aircraft would be good
money spent.
If you can bend a wrench, annuals are not that expensive...can be as little
a $500 to $3000 depending on how you maintain it during the year.
Others will have more to add. Time to go to work.
If you get a YAK or CJ for that matter make sure you and your dad attend an
RPA clinic. Most of all enjoy the plane. Get a good check out in the plane
also by someone experienced in the YAK. Your insurance company will require
it.
Hey, what makes airplanes fly? MONEY!
Doc

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

k7wx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Considering a Yak.. Reply with quote

Jeff,

Owning a Yak or CJ is probably going to be the most fun you'll ever have in aviation; especially if you become even loosely affiliated with the larger warbird community. The mutual support and camaraderie is easily as good as the flying itself.

As someone who purchased a modestly restored CJ about a year and a half ago, here are what I think may be some helpful insights. The Yak-drivers may have their own take, but the two aircraft are probably similar in terms of the emotional and financial investment.

First, and most important, compared to just about anything in general aviation, this aircraft represents a genuine bargain. What you get for what you pay for is truly amazing. It's a reasonable strategy to spend as much as you need to get something that's already what you want. With that in mind, an "as is... airworthy condition" CJ is likely going to be a project. Not that that's a bad thing, but if your main objective is to fly now, also be aware that if you buy something like this you'll probably be doing a fair amount of restoration.

Restored CJs are available at many different levels: from something barely flyable to something that borders on the magnificent. Keeping in mind that CJs and Yaks are a real bargain, an extra $20k can make an enormous difference. Enough of a difference that you're flying more than restoring. And for about the cost of a 1980 Cessna 182, you can own a spectacular, upper-tier restoration... and then it's just about maintenance.

These are also not expensive airplanes to maintain, but you're going to have to do a fair amount of the work yourself. Unless there's a CJ friendly A&P guy at your local FBO, you can't just tow this bird over and have the Piper/Cessna guy work on it. Those of us who live in central Arizona are very fortunate as there are extensive CJ and Yak resources available to us. You'll want to check and see what you have in your area. Chances are that there will be someone nearby. Part of the decision as to how extensive a restored airplane you're going to buy will also depend on how much wrench turning you're willing to do on your own and what local resources are available to you. Maintaining a CJ is also part of the fun of owning it. There is always be something that needs to be done.

I hope that this is helpful. Let us know what you get.

Warren Hill
N464TW

On Feb 14, 2011, at 12:07 AM, Jeff Williams wrote:

Quote:

Hey guys-

My father and I are thinking about a Ysk 52 and are curious about the typical "first items." we currently own an RV6 and are trying to decide what's going to be the big changes.. Money!

How is the mx on these birds? If we pick one up, I plan on attending the class D. Savarese offers..

We have never owned a radial so this will be an new experience.. Pops has T-28 time, I have no real radial experience..

Thanks

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone...

javiercarrascob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Considering a Yak.. Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

Yak's are certainly different from any Western type of airplane, there is a lot of things to be learned about them before you buy, and attending proper training is a most.

In my experience,

Annual can go from 800$ (nothing wrong/Nothing done)

To 5.000 or 7.000 (You rally need to get to know your mechanic sometimes they let you work on the annual with them).

Insurance is about 1900.

Plus my preference of hangaring the plane (200$ a month).

Good luck.

Also Keep an eye on the engine temperature, don't over cool it on decent, the engine gets hiccups and it can be really bad for both short and long term.

Get some Acro experience too. Before attempting maneuvers on your own.

Other than that, Yes you'll have a great time.

JC

--- On Mon, 2/14/11, Jeff Williams <gnomeylou(at)gmail.com> wrote:
Quote:

Subject: Considering a Yak..
To: "yak-list(at)matronics.com" <yak-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Monday, February 14, 2011, 2:07 AM

--> Yak-List message posted by: Jeff Williams <[url=/mc/compose?to=gnomeylou(at)gmail.com]gnomeylou(at)gmail.com[/url]>
Hey guys-

Thankswww.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronicnbsp; -Matt matronics.com/contribution" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/cont================

[quote][b]

gnomeylou(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Considering a Yak.. Reply with quote

Guys-

Thanks for all the replies.. Sounds like much of the items are not that different than the RV in terms of cost, save for fuel.

Insurance should be a little higher, but not much.

Mx - I plan on doing all the mx I can on it. I do all of the mx on the RV.

I guess we just need to look at what's available.. We do NOT want a project plane, nor do we need a show winner..

Could someone walk through the process of getting one flying and then putting it away? I ask because a coworker and I were talking about his hangarmates Pitts 12. He said "don't expect to just show up, pull it out of the hangar, fly for a bit and then put it up.." so I'm curious to what the evolution is like.. The RV, you show up at the hangar and can easily be prop spinning in 10 minutes..

Thanks

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone...

On Feb 14, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Warren Hill <k7wx(at)earthlink.net> wrote:

Quote:

Jeff,

Owning a Yak or CJ is probably going to be the most fun you'll ever have in aviation; especially if you become even loosely affiliated with the larger warbird community. The mutual support and camaraderie is easily as good as the flying itself.

As someone who purchased a modestly restored CJ about a year and a half ago, here are what I think may be some helpful insights. The Yak-drivers may have their own take, but the two aircraft are probably similar in terms of the emotional and financial investment.

First, and most important, compared to just about anything in general aviation, this aircraft represents a genuine bargain. What you get for what you pay for is truly amazing. It's a reasonable strategy to spend as much as you need to get something that's already what you want. With that in mind, an "as is... airworthy condition" CJ is likely going to be a project. Not that that's a bad thing, but if your main objective is to fly now, also be aware that if you buy something like this you'll probably be doing a fair amount of restoration.

Restored CJs are available at many different levels: from something barely flyable to something that borders on the magnificent. Keeping in mind that CJs and Yaks are a real bargain, an extra $20k can make an enormous difference. Enough of a difference that you're flying more than restoring. And for about the cost of a 1980 Cessna 182, you can own a spectacular, upper-tier restoration... and then it's just about maintenance.

These are also not expensive airplanes to maintain, but you're going to have to do a fair amount of the work yourself. Unless there's a CJ friendly A&P guy at your local FBO, you can't just tow this bird over and have the Piper/Cessna guy work on it. Those of us who live in central Arizona are very fortunate as there are extensive CJ and Yak resources available to us. You'll want to check and see what you have in your area. Chances are that there will be someone nearby. Part of the decision as to how extensive a restored airplane you're going to buy will also depend on how much wrench turning you're willing to do on your own and what local resources are available to you. Maintaining a CJ is also part of the fun of owning it. There is always be something that needs to be done.

I hope that this is helpful. Let us know what you get.

Warren Hill
N464TW

On Feb 14, 2011, at 12:07 AM, Jeff Williams wrote:

>
>
>
> Hey guys-
>
> My father and I are thinking about a Ysk 52 and are curious about the typical "first items." we currently own an RV6 and are trying to decide what's going to be the big changes.. Money!
>
> What kind of expenses are we looking at yearly?
>
> Typical annual cost, etc, etc..
>
> How is the mx on these birds? If we pick one up, I plan on attending the class D. Savarese offers..
>
> We have never owned a radial so this will be an new experience.. Pops has T-28 time, I have no real radial experience..
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff
>
>
> Sent from my iPhone...
>
>
>
>

Dale

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Considering a Yak.. Reply with quote

Some people love to hammer the spar strap thing.
I have a 5-3 Yak52 I have been flying for 400 hours+
I have never had a reason to put more than 5+ g on it.
If you fly around over 5gs your a very serious hard acro.
If not you can save 10 to 20 thousand on the purchase price and
have a great time. I know of a lot of guys with 5-3 planes.
Remember they were built to 200% not 150% structural like US planes.
You should go to a Clinic and look around and talk to some people first.
If you have no one in your area to fly with or to help you and your
not interested in rolling up your oily sleeves , look out. When I first
purchased mine a so call A&P had worked on it. If you take it to someone
who hasn't worked on and knows Yak's you can expect to pay too much and
They will not properlly do the maintaince because they won't take the time to learn about the plane, no money in it for them. I have worked on lots of Yaks that were taken care of by So called A&P's ( spam can mechanics ) and needed to fix a lot of their PATCH work or the owners were too cheap to spend the money to get the parts. Get someone knowlegable to look at your purchase as buying a cheap Yak might be the most expensive thing you do.
Spend the money and get a good one what ever it is.

k7wx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Considering a Yak.. Reply with quote

Jeff,

Provided all systems are working properly, it's not really a big production to go flying in a CJ. But (and there's always a but for the round engine airplanes), the preflight check may turn up something that may need to be addressed no kidding right now, or when you get back. Unless you've replaced just about everything on your own, there's the potential for some problem to develop at almost any time. For me, it was the pneumatic system, until every part was replaced. Now, the pneumatic system is never a problem. The very experienced Yak and CJ drivers can spot an issue quickly. Hopefully it's before you're climbing away from the runway.

If everything's working OK, you do a quick preflight (including a check of both normal and emergency air pressure, oil and fuel), hand prop the engine at least nine blades (check and double check the mag position), close off the quick drain, strap on your chute and harness, first five switches ON, prime the engine and then start. Run-up requires at least 30 degrees C for the oil temp and at least 120 degrees C for the CHTs. Check the mags, cycle the props and you're basically good to go. If you have an M-14P you'll learn not to firewall the throttle as you start the takeoff roll. Wheels up and then it's time to have some fun. After landing, you'll need to be mindful of the CHTs and run the engine at a higher RPM before shutting down. The engine compartment and belly area "snot" valves also need to be drained to help maintain the pneumatic system.

Warren

On Feb 14, 2011, at 10:03 AM, Jeff Williams wrote:

Quote:

Guys-

Thanks for all the replies.. Sounds like much of the items are not that different than the RV in terms of cost, save for fuel.

Insurance should be a little higher, but not much.

Mx - I plan on doing all the mx I can on it. I do all of the mx on the RV.

I guess we just need to look at what's available.. We do NOT want a project plane, nor do we need a show winner..

Could someone walk through the process of getting one flying and then putting it away? I ask because a coworker and I were talking about his hangarmates Pitts 12. He said "don't expect to just show up, pull it out of the hangar, fly for a bit and then put it up.." so I'm curious to what the evolution is like.. The RV, you show up at the hangar and can easily be prop spinning in 10 minutes..

Thanks

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone...

On Feb 14, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Warren Hill <k7wx(at)earthlink.net> wrote:

>
>
> Jeff,
>
> Owning a Yak or CJ is probably going to be the most fun you'll ever have in aviation; especially if you become even loosely affiliated with the larger warbird community. The mutual support and camaraderie is easily as good as the flying itself.
>
> As someone who purchased a modestly restored CJ about a year and a half ago, here are what I think may be some helpful insights. The Yak-drivers may have their own take, but the two aircraft are probably similar in terms of the emotional and financial investment.
>
> First, and most important, compared to just about anything in general aviation, this aircraft represents a genuine bargain. What you get for what you pay for is truly amazing. It's a reasonable strategy to spend as much as you need to get something that's already what you want. With that in mind, an "as is... airworthy condition" CJ is likely going to be a project. Not that that's a bad thing, but if your main objective is to fly now, also be aware that if you buy something like this you'll probably be doing a fair amount of restoration.
>
> Restored CJs are available at many different levels: from something barely flyable to something that borders on the magnificent. Keeping in mind that CJs and Yaks are a real bargain, an extra $20k can make an enormous difference. Enough of a difference that you're flying more than restoring. And for about the cost of a 1980 Cessna 182, you can own a spectacular, upper-tier restoration... and then it's just about maintenance.
>
> These are also not expensive airplanes to maintain, but you're going to have to do a fair amount of the work yourself. Unless there's a CJ friendly A&P guy at your local FBO, you can't just tow this bird over and have the Piper/Cessna guy work on it. Those of us who live in central Arizona are very fortunate as there are extensive CJ and Yak resources available to us. You'll want to check and see what you have in your area. Chances are that there will be someone nearby. Part of the decision as to how extensive a restored airplane you're going to buy will also depend on how much wrench turning you're willing to do on your own and what local resources are available to you. Maintaining a CJ is also part of the fun of owning it. There is always be something that needs to be done.
>
> I hope that this is helpful. Let us know what you get.
>
> Warren Hill
> N464TW
>
> On Feb 14, 2011, at 12:07 AM, Jeff Williams wrote:
>
>>
>>
>>
>> Hey guys-
>>
>> My father and I are thinking about a Ysk 52 and are curious about the typical "first items." we currently own an RV6 and are trying to decide what's going to be the big changes.. Money!
>>
>> What kind of expenses are we looking at yearly?
>>
>> Typical annual cost, etc, etc..
>>
>> How is the mx on these birds? If we pick one up, I plan on attending the class D. Savarese offers..
>>
>> We have never owned a radial so this will be an new experience.. Pops has T-28 time, I have no real radial experience..
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jeff
>>
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone...
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>

HawkerPilot2015

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering a Yak.. Reply with quote

Drop me a PM if you are going to sell the RV-6.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: