Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matco wheels and brakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n45bm(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Matco wheels and brakes Reply with quote

Having a wheel come unglued while landing or on take off and possibly turning your shiny Lightning into fiberglass splinters can be embarrassing, to put it mildly. This is an issue that should be addressed and solution(s) found to correct this problem.
Would we be better off using different wheels and brakes like Cleveland's, for example? Is that a viable solution, and could they be fitted or would the axle and wheel attach need to be redesigned for that system, or another better system?
In any event, responsible people should take the lead and address this possible defect in design and come up with a reasonable solution, in my humble opinion.
Bernardo Melendez, Kit #110

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
Kayberg(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Matco wheels and brakes Reply with quote

In a message dated 3/14/2011 11:05:22 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, n45bm(at)yahoo.com writes:
Quote:
Having a wheel come unglued while landing or on take off and possibly turning your shiny Lightning into fiberglass splinters can be embarrassing, to put it mildly. This is an issue that should be addressed and solution(s) found to correct this problem.
Would we be better off using different wheels and brakes like Cleveland's, for example? Is that a viable solution, and could they be fitted or would the axle and wheel attach need to be redesigned for that system, or another better system?
In any event, responsible people should take the lead and address this possible defect in design and come up with a reasonable solution, in my humble opinion.

What design defect?

Reasonable people should not overtighten or undertighten the screws. The Matcos are the lightest, simplest, best supported and most economical brake systems out there.

Only a couple people have had problems and they were addressed. The brakes you were shipped in your kit were updated to deal with the problem. As long as you install them correctly , you should be fine.

Doug Koenigsberg

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

n45bm(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Matco wheels and brakes Reply with quote

Doug,
I have not heard of other brands of aircraft wheels having similar problems. And I addressed it as a "possible" defect, not as a definitive defect. My apologies if I ruffled some feathers.
I was merely inquiring about other wheel brand possibilities and/or changes that could be made to improve the application.
Again, as I have not reached this stage of my build, it is not an issue for me...yet. Nor am I questioning that "Matcos are the lightest, simplest, best supported and most economical brake systems out there", though that may be open for debate.
My questions were meant to be thought-provoking and to lead others to consider this issue or other options.
Regards,
Bernardo Melendez

--- On Mon, 3/14/11, Kayberg(at)AOL.COM <Kayberg(at)AOL.COM> wrote:
Quote:

Subject: Re: Matco wheels and brakes
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Monday, March 14, 2011, 12:16 PM

In a message dated 3/14/2011 11:05:22 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, n45bm(at)yahoo.com writes:
Quote:

What design defect?

Reasonable people should not overtighten or undertighten the screws. The Matcos are the lightest, simplest, best supported and most economical brake systems out there.

Only a couple people have had problems and they were addressed. The brakes you were shipped in your kit were updated to deal with the problem. As long as you install them correctly , you should be fine.

Doug Koenigsberg

Quote:

[quote][b]

glasair98hw(at)comcast.ne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Matco wheels and brakes Reply with quote

Doug: I had Clevelands on my Glasair and traded them for Matco. The difference in stopping power was incredible. Matco support is the best and they will take the time to answer any questions. They frequent air shows also for a first hand talk. Just my opinion as I'm not flying my Lightning yet but the comparison probably still applies. Harry
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: